Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Former Lee Warmer  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2020 10:29:02 AM(UTC)
Former Lee Warmer

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I worked a temporary summer job which has variable end dates even within the same management unit, depending on weather and location and specific issues at each location.

I discussed my end date and agreed on one with my supervisor months in advance. Because of safety issues at my location, it was a few days earlier than some. At least one person in the same position and different location left a week before me and it was not called a resignation. I was told I could leave when they left, but I said no, I will stay another week as we originally agreed. I was surprised to find out 2 weeks later that I had resigned. I didn't resign, I reached the end of the agreed upon end of season. I messaged my supervisor multiple times, who didn't reply. I opened a case with HR and they said contact my supervisor.

Will this affect future employment opportunities in the department or should I fight it? If it won't affect me in the future I have no desire to argue it, but I have a feeling it doesn't look good.
ashulein  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 25, 2020 4:41:46 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 39 post(s)
"Will this affect future employment opportunities in the department?" Highly unlikely... unless you are fired there is are no restrictions that I am aware of regarding your ability to apply to future positions if you "resign." (especially if you are talking about temporary positions since folks coming and going is part of their very nature). Even in the cases where folks are fired it is up to HR to flag those kinds of applicants (assuming the paperwork was even put through correctly) and when people move around accepting positions it is amazing what can slip through.

"Should I fight it?" Yes. You should certainly have your paperwork changed to indicate you did not resign and were released due to a lack of work or funds. If you don't, should you apply for unemployment insurance, you could potentially put yourself in a position where the benefits have a much higher likelihood of being denied... or at the very least a greater probability of a more complicated process (depending on the state).

As a general rule of thumb, you ALWAYS want your paperwork to be correct. When you leave a position or apply to new ones your paperwork is the only thing that the system cares about the previous work you did. It is your bureaucratic footprint. If it is wrong, missing, or incomplete, again, there is a greater probability of a more complicated process.

Edited by user Sunday, October 25, 2020 5:15:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Former Lee Warmer  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2020 6:58:47 AM(UTC)
Former Lee Warmer

United States

So how do I fight it if my supervisor won't respond to me?
Lexipooh  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2020 9:21:50 AM(UTC)
Lexipooh

United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Go above your supervisor to his/her supervisor. Some states deny unemployment if you resign voluntarily. If you get another job then no worries. Now, if you do decide to apply for unemployment the agency has to respond to your states unemployment office. Depending on what they put on the SF8 or (Other), then that is what you would be concerned about. But.....just call the district or the person over your last supervisor.
Former Lee Warmer  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2020 11:24:39 AM(UTC)
Former Lee Warmer

United States

Fortunately unemployment doesn't look like it will be an issue, although that was my initial fear. My state only asks if you resigned once, and when I answered the question "no" I had not yet been notified that the agency considered it "yes". My state also says that employers rarely report anything but wages, are unlikely to report anything about me resigning, and that its unlikely to be a problem.

I am mostly concerned about how it will be perceived by potential future supervisors. I don't know how this is recorded in the system or what else it might say that isn't true, and that bothers me.
Former Lee Warmer  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2020 4:59:59 PM(UTC)
Former Lee Warmer

United States

I should also mention that I received a "fully successful" "end of year rating" after I left which seems pretty weird if I resigned.
tic32003  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 27, 2020 7:41:54 AM(UTC)
tic32003

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Former Lee Warmer Go to Quoted Post

I discussed my end date and agreed on one with my supervisor months in advance.

Can you clarify this?

When you were hired, did the supervisor want you to work until a specific date, but you told him you wanted/needed to leave before that date? If that's what you mean when you say you agreed on a date, then you did in fact resign.

For those temporary positions, reasons for termination include expiration of appointment, lack of work, lack of funding, conduct, or performance. Those aren't the only reasons, of course, but they are the ones most often used.

You've already said it wasn't due to conduct or performance. If there was still work and funding available, they would have kept you on board. What I'm understanding from what you wrote, the reason your employment ended was because *you* wanted to leave before the end of your appointment. That's a resignation, not a termination.

Edited by user Tuesday, October 27, 2020 7:42:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Former Lee Warmer  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 27, 2020 3:38:19 PM(UTC)
Former Lee Warmer

United States

When I was hired I was told the end date was flexible and TBD, end of Sept or early October.

There were safety issues involved. One person in my unit left a week earlier because the heater at his remote work station didn't work and they were too cheap to fix it. But he was laid off and expects to return next year. There were also safety issues at my work location and these were discussed when we discussed my end date long in advance. They were the whole reason we had that discussion.

Again, I don't really care if it doesn't affect unemployment (which I won't know be 100% sure about until late Nov) or affect future employment in other places. But I am very wary that it will affect the latter especially since they won't explain why this happened. They won't reply at all. Neither my sup or his sup will reply.
tic32003  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2020 9:44:06 AM(UTC)
tic32003

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Former Lee Warmer Go to Quoted Post
When I was hired I was told the end date was flexible and TBD, end of Sept or early October.

There were safety issues involved. One person in my unit left a week earlier because the heater at his remote work station didn't work and they were too cheap to fix it. But he was laid off and expects to return next year. There were also safety issues at my work location and these were discussed when we discussed my end date long in advance. They were the whole reason we had that discussion.

Again, I don't really care if it doesn't affect unemployment (which I won't know be 100% sure about until late Nov) or affect future employment in other places. But I am very wary that it will affect the latter especially since they won't explain why this happened. They won't reply at all. Neither my sup or his sup will reply.

Do you have the SF-50 from when you were first hired (not the one you received when terminated, but the one you received when you were first hired)? Look in block 5-B. It should have an NTE date. This is the date the agency planned for you to work through. If you chose to leave before that date, then it would be a resignation.

If the date in block 5-B is the same date that you actually terminated, you probably have a strong case to have the reason changed from resignation to termination. In this case, contact the HR office, not your former supervisor or your supervisor's supervisor. Go directly to HR.

I can't speak to the unemployment issue. That's determined by the state. As far as future employment, I'm pretty confident this will NOT have any impact.

Former Lee Warmer  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2020 1:06:02 PM(UTC)
Former Lee Warmer

United States

I don't have an SF-50. I tried to get one but since I didn't have access to a government computer I could never get it. HR wouldn't mail it to me. I will probably have to get it from National Archives. I will do that but unless this all ends up impacting my unemployment or is in conflict with the SF-50 date I think I'll just let it drop. Since the end date was supposed to be flexible the SF-50 may not have an exact date.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed