Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
eternalbbfan  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2020 7:12:48 AM(UTC)
eternalbbfan

Groups: Registered

I’m a GS12 0501. The FM community has been encouraged to obtain training and certifications like CDFM, ACSC, SOS, etc. Realizing that the hiring official ultimately makes the selection, would someone share some insight on how training and certificates are weighed when applying for advancement? For example if another candidate has more years of experience, but doesn’t have any certifications how are they compared against a candidate that does? Is your resume’ used to rank you after an interview or just the interview itself?
Thank You!
someoldguy  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2020 7:40:23 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 947 time(s) in 796 post(s)
Here's my take on things: if it is a REQUIRED certification, then I guess they could say you're just doing what is expected of you. But if is something above and beyond what you are expected to do, then you are demonstrating some initiative to improve yourself.

I guess some of these certifications are tied to grade, like maybe a more senior person is expected to have a certain level, while a more junior person might be expected to only have the basic certification. If you are able to get a certification associated with a higher grade (like maybe the grade you are going for), that might be a plus.

However, overall, I'd say a lot of the government, or at least the DoD, is starting to experience certification fatigue.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
frankgonzalez  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2020 7:50:25 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1102 time(s) in 875 post(s)
Originally Posted by: eternalbbfan Go to Quoted Post
I’m a GS12 0501. The FM community has been encouraged to obtain training and certifications like CDFM, ACSC, SOS, etc. Realizing that the hiring official ultimately makes the selection, would someone share some insight on how training and certificates are weighed when applying for advancement? For example if another candidate has more years of experience, but doesn’t have any certifications how are they compared against a candidate that does? Is your resume’ used to rank you after an interview or just the interview itself?
Thank You!
Typically, the resumes are ranked to determine who gets interviewed. So that is where certs and applicable courses first can assist you.

Years of experience? Depends on the whether you are talking 1 year experience vs 5+ years or 10 years vs 20 years. The former gap...likely an impact. The latter...not so much.

In the interview, being able to show how the certifications or training has helped you in some fashion, can be useful. In some situations (ie. If you have FAC-C or DAWIA certifications), they are very useful, especially if you need to get them in the position any way.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
eternalbbfan  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2020 10:48:41 AM(UTC)
eternalbbfan

I meant certifications that weren't part of your job. Like SOS, CDFM, etc. I've got around 8 years of Govt experience, and have done all the "prestigious" certifications and courses. What seems to be happening is that I'm having trouble moving from a 12 to a 13 because someone with more experience seems to be beating me out.
frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2020 1:23:15 PM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1102 time(s) in 875 post(s)
Originally Posted by: eternalbbfan Go to Quoted Post
I meant certifications that weren't part of your job. Like SOS, CDFM, etc. I've got around 8 years of Govt experience, and have done all the "prestigious" certifications and courses. What seems to be happening is that I'm having trouble moving from a 12 to a 13 because someone with more experience seems to be beating me out.
If SOS is "Squadron Officer School, then that really would only be useful in DAF or potentially other DoD agencies as a CGO level PME. Outside of military organizations, PME means little to nothing.

If you are being beaten out, has it been happening at the referral stage (as in you get referred but no interview) or in the interview stage? If the former...it is your resume. If the latter, then you need to work on your interview skills (STAR method is a great tool) and sell yourself. Be confident without being arrogant. Only you can sell you in the interview.

And are you talking within your organization (as in DAF or DoD) or is it any agency? If the former then they are simply moving people they know up by seniority, and you may be just as good, but they are trying to "reward" those who have stuck it out longer. Time to seek out other agencies. Some are better than others with wanting talent (mine is pretty good about that) and wanting to coach and mentor folks to bigger and better roles (again...mine is pretty good with doing this! Never thought about trying for SES until I got into my current role, and I've had several SESers outside of my directorate tell me I should consider it and offer to assist with the ECQs, etc if I decide to go that route, and my boss sent me to some executive training last year pre-covid lockdown...still thinking about if I want to take on those headaches!!)..

If the latter, then your resume needs beefing up. You may not need to do anything but simply emphasize things other than what you have right now. (PM me, and I'll review your resume for you).- Sometimes the wording can make all the difference in wanting to talk to someone or not...even when as the SME I can see both people have basically did the same thing.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rss Feed  Atom Feed