Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DOHCSVT  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2020 1:55:22 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi all, I am a current federal employee with 23 years in and made GS-14 two years ago. My current job entails long hours, weekends and holidays to all be worked. I have kinda dipped my toe into looking for something that is a little more home life friendly (NO telework where I am...not even during COVID). I stumbled across a GS-15 at NASA that was open to the public and said what the heck. I applied and then today I received an email informing me that I was referred to the selecting official. The job was only open for 3 days, so I assumed that they had an individual in mind and I NEVER suspected that I would have been referred. I am a former non retired military member, but I am pretty sure that plays no part at the GS-15 level.

So, my question is, a GS-15 open to the public, do you feel there was already a person in mind, or true bring what you got and they will select the best qualified?

Thanks for any opinions/feed back!
TheRealOrange  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2020 2:28:30 PM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 145 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DOHCSVT Go to Quoted Post
Hi all, I am a current federal employee with 23 years in and made GS-14 two years ago. My current job entails long hours, weekends and holidays to all be worked. I have kinda dipped my toe into looking for something that is a little more home life friendly (NO telework where I am...not even during COVID). I stumbled across a GS-15 at NASA that was open to the public and said what the heck. I applied and then today I received an email informing me that I was referred to the selecting official. The job was only open for 3 days, so I assumed that they had an individual in mind and I NEVER suspected that I would have been referred. I am a former non retired military member, but I am pretty sure that plays no part at the GS-15 level.

So, my question is, a GS-15 open to the public, do you feel there was already a person in mind, or true bring what you got and they will select the best qualified?

Thanks for any opinions/feed back!

Depending on the type of job involved, veterans preference may apply even at the grade 15 level. I have been the selecting official for a few dozen vacancies, and I have never had someone in mind and never hired anyone I knew previously. NASA is pretty well known for being a good place to work, and I have never heard anything negative about their hiring processes, so they may simply be reaching out to try to reach as many qualified applicants as possible. A short open period is not necessarily a sign of anything in particular. NASA likely gets a lot of applications for all of their vacancies, so they do not need long open periods. I believe that @frankgonzalez is at NASA, so hopefully he will add his input here. Best of luck.
frankgonzalez  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 4, 2020 3:58:51 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1102 time(s) in 875 post(s)
Congrats on the referral to the best large agency to work in the federal government (for 8 years in a row...waiting to see if we get the 9th year as well!)!

What location/center would you be working at/for? (Location and center can be 2 different things at NASA. You could be assigned to HQ as your center, but be working at Armstrong in South CA, for example). I've been out to and work with folks at every center, and they have been great so far (and note: I work EEO, so most of my interaction has been as a result of a complaint, yet even the complainants have been friendly and nice, and during mediations, the majority have been along the lines of "I wish we hadn't gotten here this way, and I hope we can work it out!" from both the complainant and the management!) Each center has their strengths and weaknesses, but overall NASA is a great place to work. My first day, I noticed everyone smiling as I walked around the HQ building. People held the elevator doors, stopped to give you directions when you appeared lost, etc. Very friendly place!

If you have any specific questions, just let me know...PM me if you prefer.

Edit: Forgot to add- NASA is VERY, VERY Telework friendly!

Edited by user Wednesday, November 4, 2020 3:59:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
nembamike  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 4, 2020 5:51:42 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 220 time(s) in 199 post(s)
Yes they already have someone in mind and are just going thru the motions to be legal. Give your best interview and see what happens. Good luck.
DOHCSVT  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 4, 2020 7:27:09 AM(UTC)

Thank you for all of the feedback. I have done a little further digging, and discovered that I still get 10 points added for being a disabled vet to my score, so that is awesome.

I was thrilled to hear that many selections are made utilizing the applicants merit and interview as the sole factors!

The job is at NASA Langley and is listed as a series 0301 Administrative Manager GS-15. I could really use a happy place to work. Managing the repair of nuclear ships can be extremely stressful and hard on the home life.

Do I think I will get the job? I am not holding my breath, but these responses have helped me to have a little more faith. I just hope that I can get an interview! I just want to tell them how my career has gone, how I started as a blue colar WG-8 and that even without an engineering degree I have made it to a level where I manage engineers and hold technical authority on some systems. I have always done and always will do what needs to get the job done!

I appreciate everyone's input and hope that you have a great day!!
frankgonzalez  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 4, 2020 8:08:29 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Originally Posted by: nembamike Go to Quoted Post
Yes they already have someone in mind and are just going thru the motions to be legal. Give your best interview and see what happens. Good luck.
Nope...I've sat on several panels at my agency and there has never been someone in mind to select. Even more so when it is open to everyone and not just within the agency. I walked into my interview and after I came on board, discovered there were several NASA employees who applied who did not get the position. Same thing at my previous agency.

You just need to impress the panelists. At NASA, they truly do want the best people for the job, in my experience.

thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
DOHCSVT on 11/4/2020(UTC)
frankgonzalez  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 4, 2020 8:19:58 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Originally Posted by: DOHCSVT Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for all of the feedback. I have done a little further digging, and discovered that I still get 10 points added for being a disabled vet to my score, so that is awesome.

I was thrilled to hear that many selections are made utilizing the applicants merit and interview as the sole factors!

The job is at NASA Langley and is listed as a series 0301 Administrative Manager GS-15. I could really use a happy place to work. Managing the repair of nuclear ships can be extremely stressful and hard on the home life.

Do I think I will get the job? I am not holding my breath, but these responses have helped me to have a little more faith. I just hope that I can get an interview! I just want to tell them how my career has gone, how I started as a blue colar WG-8 and that even without an engineering degree I have made it to a level where I manage engineers and hold technical authority on some systems. I have always done and always will do what needs to get the job done!

I appreciate everyone's input and hope that you have a great day!!
I've sat on panels where people like yourself were represented, both as part of the panel and among the applicants.

Langley is full of great folks, quite a few of whom are veterans! Interesting mission there, and depending on the program you'll be on, a lot of interaction with HQ in DC. If you have any questions, just reach out.

Good luck!

Rss Feed  Atom Feed