Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Renagade83  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2020 2:29:24 AM(UTC)
Renagade83

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/11/2018(UTC)
Posts: 34
United States

Thanks: 6 times
Hello everyone I wasn't sure which category this falls under but I was hoping to get some advice regarding what I am currently going through in my federal government job...

When I came in my first day it was pure chaos and over the next few months things haven't gotten any better. I was supposed to have a virtual orientation at the office and my supervisor was ccd on the email regarding this, however my supervisor immediately wanted me to work with other employees on different projects. Nothing was prepared for my arrival and the higher ups had to remind him that I had to be at orientation. Everything was rushed up and because I didn't have proper access I missed the first hour of my orientation. In the meantime the room I was in required a keycard to get in and out so for 6 hours I didn't have access to food,water or a bathroom. Needless to say it was a very rough first day..

After all of this I have had to borrow other colleague's workstations and it's been a struggle to get access to what I need to do my job. Aside from all of this the people I work with are very rude and disrespectful towards me. They are constantly rushing me up and getting on my case over every little thing I do. I was told there are no breaks or lunchtime it's pretty much "eat when you are hungry". The problem is it's so busy there you are sometimes pressured to work without a break. My question is does this happen in every department? There was one day I felt like I was going to pass out because of the way my colleague was rushing me and having me run around to get different things done. It was around 11AM and I said I need to eat something or else I'm going to get sick. She told me "just so you know there are some days you won't be able to have a lunch because it gets so busy here".

There is a lot more I can say about this but I just wanted to give an idea about what is happening. What should I do in this situation? I really want to transfer to a different department I just don't want to find myself in the same situation. I feel like I'm being driven out of my current job.

frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2020 4:20:21 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)
Posts: 5,609

Thanks: 103 times
Was thanked: 1102 time(s) in 875 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Renagade83 Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone I wasn't sure which category this falls under but I was hoping to get some advice regarding what I am currently going through in my federal government job...

When I came in my first day it was pure chaos and over the next few months things haven't gotten any better. I was supposed to have a virtual orientation at the office and my supervisor was ccd on the email regarding this, however my supervisor immediately wanted me to work with other employees on different projects. Nothing was prepared for my arrival and the higher ups had to remind him that I had to be at orientation. Everything was rushed up and because I didn't have proper access I missed the first hour of my orientation. In the meantime the room I was in required a keycard to get in and out so for 6 hours I didn't have access to food,water or a bathroom. Needless to say it was a very rough first day..

After all of this I have had to borrow other colleague's workstations and it's been a struggle to get access to what I need to do my job. Aside from all of this the people I work with are very rude and disrespectful towards me. They are constantly rushing me up and getting on my case over every little thing I do. I was told there are no breaks or lunchtime it's pretty much "eat when you are hungry". The problem is it's so busy there you are sometimes pressured to work without a break. My question is does this happen in every department? There was one day I felt like I was going to pass out because of the way my colleague was rushing me and having me run around to get different things done. It was around 11AM and I said I need to eat something or else I'm going to get sick. She told me "just so you know there are some days you won't be able to have a lunch because it gets so busy here".

There is a lot more I can say about this but I just wanted to give an idea about what is happening. What should I do in this situation? I really want to transfer to a different department I just don't want to find myself in the same situation. I feel like I'm being driven out of my current job.

1st...no-one knows your office or agency, so hard to answer your questions.

That said, some agencies and within others, some offices, are more hectic and disorganized than others. While I was at the USCG, it took me about a year to get some organization to the processes, etc to make it less crazy and hectic, and when I moved up to next role in that agency (I went from Zone Manager to Deputy Regional Director), I tried hard to do the same thing at that level to make the lives easier for the folks who were previously my peers.

In my current job, I am the first person in it (it was a newly created position) and my boss told me "Here are the things I'd like to see this position do, and the rest is for you to figure out and decide what it can be." So I basically was given about 90% carte blanche to create my position's duties. So for about 18 months, that is what I did, slowly expanding what we could do in my arena, to the point the agency level office took my ideas agency-wide. Now that everything is running smoothly in my program, I am busy, but it is calm...and I'm being pulled into more and more things to assist and advise.

Look at the chaos you are seeing as an opportunity. If you can create calm in a sea of chaos, you will stand out. If you need a break to eat or hit the restroom...do so. If you can fix broken processes or create efficiencies, your coworkers will be happier (less panic/work to do the same result?!?), as will leadership. Of course, this does rely on your boss not panicking when they realize things don't have to be chaos to be effective. While you do this (and especially if you are getting results), seek out other opportunities. Within your agency, you will find success is noted by some leaders who will happily steal an effective employee away from a bad supervisor!

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
Renagade83 on 11/5/2020(UTC)
LongWheel  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2020 6:43:11 AM(UTC)

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/28/2014(UTC)
Posts: 52

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Can you disclose what agency this is?

Apply to other jobs ASAP. Depending on the internal policies, you may be NOT allowed to leave on a rotation or a detail. Unless you are hired via Direct Hire (faster), there can be a somewhat long wait for a transfers as we all know the regular process is quite slow.

Edited by user Thursday, November 5, 2020 6:43:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Renagade83 on 11/5/2020(UTC)
Renagade83  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2020 7:10:33 AM(UTC)
Renagade83

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/11/2018(UTC)
Posts: 34
United States

Thanks: 6 times
Originally Posted by: LongWheel Go to Quoted Post
Can you disclose what agency this is?

Apply to other jobs ASAP. Depending on the internal policies, you may be NOT allowed to leave on a rotation or a detail. Unless you are hired via Direct Hire (faster), there can be a somewhat long wait for a transfers as we all know the regular process is quite slow.


I'm not comfortable saying the exact agency but it's with DHS and it was a Direct Hire position. I've applied for a few different positions and hoping one of them works out. This whole experience just worried me since I'm not sure if I would just be getting into a similar environment in a different department/agency. It's one of those situations where the job turned out to be nothing what you were hoping for.
frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2020 8:19:16 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)
Posts: 5,609

Thanks: 103 times
Was thanked: 1102 time(s) in 875 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Renagade83 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: LongWheel Go to Quoted Post
Can you disclose what agency this is?

Apply to other jobs ASAP. Depending on the internal policies, you may be NOT allowed to leave on a rotation or a detail. Unless you are hired via Direct Hire (faster), there can be a somewhat long wait for a transfers as we all know the regular process is quite slow.


I'm not comfortable saying the exact agency but it's with DHS and it was a Direct Hire position. I've applied for a few different positions and hoping one of them works out. This whole experience just worried me since I'm not sure if I would just be getting into a similar environment in a different department/agency. It's one of those situations where the job turned out to be nothing what you were hoping for.
DHS...the "D" should stand for disorganized! USCG is part of DHS, and I seemed to have to do as much for other DHS components as I did for the Coast Guard!

In my experience, DoD varies wildly...to the extent that different offices in the same agency can range from great to horrendous!

NASA has been great so far. Do some folks have issues? Yep...put any group of people together and eventually you'll find conflicts. That said, they have fewer issues than I've seen anywhere else. Heck, EEO complaints alone agency-wide are less than I dealt with at other agencies in just my office!

I found http://bestplacestowork.org/rankings/overall/sub is always a good place to start on working out how a place will be to work. Not perfect, just a good starting point.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Renagade83  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2020 8:41:23 AM(UTC)
Renagade83

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/11/2018(UTC)
Posts: 34
United States

Thanks: 6 times
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Renagade83 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: LongWheel Go to Quoted Post
Can you disclose what agency this is?

Apply to other jobs ASAP. Depending on the internal policies, you may be NOT allowed to leave on a rotation or a detail. Unless you are hired via Direct Hire (faster), there can be a somewhat long wait for a transfers as we all know the regular process is quite slow.


I'm not comfortable saying the exact agency but it's with DHS and it was a Direct Hire position. I've applied for a few different positions and hoping one of them works out. This whole experience just worried me since I'm not sure if I would just be getting into a similar environment in a different department/agency. It's one of those situations where the job turned out to be nothing what you were hoping for.
DHS...the "D" should stand for disorganized! USCG is part of DHS, and I seemed to have to do as much for other DHS components as I did for the Coast Guard!

In my experience, DoD varies wildly...to the extent that different offices in the same agency can range from great to horrendous!

NASA has been great so far. Do some folks have issues? Yep...put any group of people together and eventually you'll find conflicts. That said, they have fewer issues than I've seen anywhere else. Heck, EEO complaints alone agency-wide are less than I dealt with at other agencies in just my office!

I found http://bestplacestowork.org/rankings/overall/sub is always a good place to start on working out how a place will be to work. Not perfect, just a good starting point.



This is exactly what my experience has been Frank thanks for your insight! The office I'm in is poorly run and the atmosphere is toxic overall. I could handle the chaos of my job as long as I had colleagues and maybe a supervisor who was more understanding. It's like pulling teeth trying to get information out of them. They actually said they expect you figure most things out on your own. Do you know if other departments try to stop you from taking a lunch break? One thing I've come to a realization about is I don't want to work somewhere where I have to constantly worry about whether I'm going to be able to eat each day. I actually applied for a position at DOD, just keeping my fingers crossed that something better will come along.
frankgonzalez  
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2020 9:45:27 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)
Posts: 5,609

Thanks: 103 times
Was thanked: 1102 time(s) in 875 post(s)
If you have a medical issue that requires you to eat (such as Diabetes for example), then tell you supervisor you need an accommodation of a lunch period and breaks which are consistent (ie I need to have a break about 2-3 hours after I start to check my blood sugar, and have a snack, lunch about 5-6 hours after I start, and a quick break a couple of hours after my lunch). Otherwise, take the 30 minutes (or hour...depends on your schedule) for lunch. If you have a bargaining unit talk to them about what the agreement says with regard to breaks and meals. If not, if you are there from 8-4:30 without a 30 minute lunch, then you have worked 30 minutes overtime...perhaps a discussion with coworkers to see how that is claimed (OT, Comp time?) when you are required to do that or even with the supervisor.

I've occasionally missed lunch when an emergency popped up...but that is very rare. I also log out at 4pm every day and do not log back in until the next morning. My boss knows she can call me if she needs something important quickly, but I won't be responding to an email as my computer is shut down at the end of my day.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
Renagade83 on 11/5/2020(UTC)
hemihem  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2020 5:17:27 PM(UTC)
hemihem

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/10/2015(UTC)
Posts: 508
Location: dmv

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Hello, What grade is your position?
Are you prior military?
Renagade83  
#9 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2020 5:19:03 AM(UTC)
Renagade83

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/11/2018(UTC)
Posts: 34
United States

Thanks: 6 times
Originally Posted by: hemihem Go to Quoted Post
Hello, What grade is your position?
Are you prior military?


It's GS-5, no I'm not prior military which is why I try to get direct hire positions when they become available. The rule of 3 makes it more difficult but I'm trying..
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 0.326 seconds.