Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

85 Pages«<3940414243>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JuanitaValjean  
#801 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 11:38:05 AM(UTC)
JuanitaValjean

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GovGuy25 Go to Quoted Post
Update for everyone, I will not be attending the June class. No process delays or anything, just need to dot my i's and cross my t's before I can take off.

Also, for those that are still training for the pft, my previous advice still stands. I improved in nearly every event from my previous pft. And remember to drink lots of water, depending on where you are the heat can really sneak up on you, even if you usually train in it.

Graduated from the intern program a few years ago. Looking to apply sometime by January and wanting to get a head start on PFT. I've lost about 70 pounds from when I started my weight loss journey, but still have trouble with the running sections of the PFT. I tend to stick to around 10 minute miles when I jog long distances.

From what I have read on here, it looks like you don't have to take the PFT until Quantico. Is that right? Is there a written policy of this? It has me a bit confused/

Edited by user Tuesday, May 11, 2021 11:41:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Heyguys222  
#802 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 1:18:26 PM(UTC)
Heyguys222

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JuanitaValjean Go to Quoted Post
Update for everyone, I will not be attending the June class. No process delays or anything, just need to dot my i's and cross my t's before I can take off.

Also, for those that are still training for the pft, my previous advice still stands. I improved in nearly every event from my previous pft. And remember to drink lots of water, depending on where you are the heat can really sneak up on you, even if you usually train in it.

Graduated from the intern program a few years ago. Looking to apply sometime by January and wanting to get a head start on PFT. I've lost about 70 pounds from when I started my weight loss journey, but still have trouble with the running sections of the PFT. I tend to stick to around 10 minute miles when I jog long distances.

From what I have read on here, it looks like you don't have to take the PFT until Quantico. Is that right? Is there a written policy of this? It has me a bit confused/

As of now you take a Pre-Q PFT before you go to Q. You need to score a 5 total with at least 1 point in each category, though personally I wouldn’t feel good getting less than a 9 or 10 on my way to Q since you have to take another at week 2 and will need a 12 at least.

I would strongly suggest practicing sprinting before your long run and doing events with only a 5 minute break. That’s what sucks. I would say the sit ups and push ups aren’t that bad but sprinting then having to do 1.5 miles will kill your stamina if you haven’t practiced it a lot.
GovGuy25  
#803 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 2:04:49 PM(UTC)
GovGuy25

United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Heyguys222 Go to Quoted Post

As of now you take a Pre-Q PFT before you go to Q. You need to score a 5 total with at least 1 point in each category, though personally I wouldn’t feel good getting less than a 9 or 10 on my way to Q since you have to take another at week 2 and will need a 12 at least.

I would strongly suggest practicing sprinting before your long run and doing events with only a 5 minute break. That’s what sucks. I would say the sit ups and push ups aren’t that bad but sprinting then having to do 1.5 miles will kill your stamina if you haven’t practiced it a lot.

Adding onto this, I very strongly suggest modeling your fitness regime off the pft. I supplement mine with weight training, but the core is the pft.

Things that will absolutely trip you up if you don't prepare for them:

1) The weather. If you train indoors the heat or cold can catch you off guard.

2) Treadmill running is different than pavement or track running. I found myself having a very different running motion on the treadmill, one that had my body moving up and down as opposed to forward. Run outside when available.

3) The breaks. Read the pft material they put out very carefully. Everything is very precise, from the form to the breaks between each exercise. If you don't train with the short breaks in mind, you might find yourself unable to recover between events.

4)The form. I have had more than 10 pushups removed from my score due to bad form. It takes energy to do the exercise, even if it's incorrect, so make sure you do it correctly every time.
thanks 1 user thanked GovGuy25 for this useful post.
Annino on 5/12/2021(UTC)
tamvid11  
#804 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 3:47:58 AM(UTC)
tamvid11

United States

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 50 post(s)

Adding onto this, I very strongly suggest modeling your fitness regime off the pft. I supplement mine with weight training, but the core is the pft.

2) Treadmill running is different than pavement or track running. I found myself having a very different running motion on the treadmill, one that had my body moving up and down as opposed to forward. Run outside when available.

3) The breaks. Read the pft material they put out very carefully. Everything is very precise, from the form to the breaks between each exercise. If you don't train with the short breaks in mind, you might find yourself unable to recover between events.

4)The form. I have had more than 10 pushups removed from my score due to bad form. It takes energy to do the exercise, even if it's incorrect, so make sure you do it correctly every time.

I think the run catches everyone off guard and there are a few factors about this. Most of the time we train for running, we do it rested. How often do you finish an exhausting workout and then say, "hey I feel like a nice 1.5 mile run"?

I find it better on some days to run tired. Do my entire lift routine and THEN do a run. Also, when you train to run (especially on a treadmill) put it on a slight incline - this does make up for the outdoor push-off you are normally missing. I've been told 1% is all you need, but you shouldn't do more than 2% or it does make you lean too far forward and changes your stride. I find this helps with the sprint as well as the run. Also, only do dynamic stretching prior. Static stretching will hurt your run times, especially your sprint times. You don't want the muscles too loose and stretched - you do take away from the fast twitch muscles when you do that.

Other things that can help are to do burst intervals on longer runs. Run for a minute and then sprint for 15 seconds.
Never just run the 1.5 miles when you train either... run further (at least 2) so the 1.5 doesn't seem as daunting on test day. I run 4-6 miles at an 8mph pace - these runs I always do rested.
Train faster too than your normal run. Do whatever you can do for as long as you can do. I started on the treadmill at 8.5mph and would run for 1 mile (just under 11min if I translated to 1.5). I started to increase my runs at this speed by .1 every few days. Then I would increase the speed and go back to the 1 mile. I'm currently at a 9.6mph for 1.3m

You will see plenty of people with passing scores up until the run - you have to get a least 1pt in this category or it is a fail. 5pts or 20pts prior to the run won't matter.

Totally right on the push-up form too. Make sure you're doing it the way described by the FBI. I was used to military style triceps push-ups and they took off several.

Situps don't waste effort on the down motion - meaning do an uncontrolled fall on your way down. It hurts. But make sure you train this way a few times so your body is familiar with the feeling. Most time we will do a flexed up and down so you're protecting yourself. Get one of those padded mats and just let your body fall and slam down, flex and control up. We waste a lot of energy staying flexed and controlling down. Training this way has added about 5 additional sit-ups to my personal best.
thanks 2 users thanked tamvid11 for this useful post.
AverageNYCGUY on 5/12/2021(UTC), Annino on 5/12/2021(UTC)
Heyguys222  
#805 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 5:31:57 AM(UTC)
Heyguys222

Originally Posted by: tamvid11 Go to Quoted Post

I think the run catches everyone off guard and there are a few factors about this. Most of the time we train for running, we do it rested. How often do you finish an exhausting workout and then say, "hey I feel like a nice 1.5 mile run"?

I find it better on some days to run tired. Do my entire lift routine and THEN do a run. Also, when you train to run (especially on a treadmill) put it on a slight incline - this does make up for the outdoor push-off you are normally missing. I've been told 1% is all you need, but you shouldn't do more than 2% or it does make you lean too far forward and changes your stride. I find this helps with the sprint as well as the run. Also, only do dynamic stretching prior. Static stretching will hurt your run times, especially your sprint times. You don't want the muscles too loose and stretched - you do take away from the fast twitch muscles when you do that.

Other things that can help are to do burst intervals on longer runs. Run for a minute and then sprint for 15 seconds.
Never just run the 1.5 miles when you train either... run further (at least 2) so the 1.5 doesn't seem as daunting on test day. I run 4-6 miles at an 8mph pace - these runs I always do rested.
Train faster too than your normal run. Do whatever you can do for as long as you can do. I started on the treadmill at 8.5mph and would run for 1 mile (just under 11min if I translated to 1.5). I started to increase my runs at this speed by .1 every few days. Then I would increase the speed and go back to the 1 mile. I'm currently at a 9.6mph for 1.3m

You will see plenty of people with passing scores up until the run - you have to get a least 1pt in this category or it is a fail. 5pts or 20pts prior to the run won't matter.

Totally right on the push-up form too. Make sure you're doing it the way described by the FBI. I was used to military style triceps push-ups and they took off several.

Situps don't waste effort on the down motion - meaning do an uncontrolled fall on your way down. It hurts. But make sure you train this way a few times so your body is familiar with the feeling. Most time we will do a flexed up and down so you're protecting yourself. Get one of those padded mats and just let your body fall and slam down, flex and control up. We waste a lot of energy staying flexed and controlling down. Training this way has added about 5 additional sit-ups to my personal best.

All great info especially on the sit-ups. I’ll add for push-ups do the same falling motion on the way down. Let your body drop and catch yourself at the bottom then burst up. It will save you some energy and add a couple push-ups. It’s scary at first as you’re convinced you’re going to smash into the ground but once you get used to it you’ll be thankful.
thanks 1 user thanked Heyguys222 for this useful post.
AverageNYCGUY on 5/12/2021(UTC)
AverageNYCGUY  
#806 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 5:56:25 AM(UTC)
AverageNYCGUY

United States

Awesome tips. Thank you as well as the push up tip above. Great stuff!

Edited by user Wednesday, May 12, 2021 5:57:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TwoSevenThreeOne  
#807 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 6:43:41 AM(UTC)
TwoSevenThreeOne

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

How does that work, did you just ask to defer?
userzero  
#808 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 6:48:11 AM(UTC)
userzero

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: userzero Go to Quoted Post
Good morning all,

For those who have gone through/are about to go thru Q during the covid era, during the two week quarantine in the Jefferson dorm, was there a microwave? Was there a television? Trying to figure out logistics before shipping in June.

Hopefully once you get there you can shed some light on a few things for all of us to follow! I've been curious on how laundry will get done during those 2 weeks? Access to the laundry room, or do we just wash everything in the shower in our rooms and hang to dry? 2 weeks of dirty closes in a closed of space is not going to be good... Will mail be delivered like the food? Also, please let us know if there are or we are allowed to have a coffee pot in the room... I have a spare Keurig I'm hoping to take!

Certainly, tamvid11! I'll do my best. Still trying to figure out some low-level logistics during the packing/paperwork phase.
7/19 - app
8/19 - Ph 1
1/20 - M&G
2/20 - Ph 2 W
9/20 - Ph 2 I
10/20 - PFT/CAO
12/20 - PSI/Poly
1/21 - Med
6/21 - BFTC
userzero  
#809 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 6:50:20 AM(UTC)
userzero

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AGJ Go to Quoted Post
Any final offers come in for people entering the June class yet? I am on the list for August and trying to get a read on what to expect timing-wise.

Good morning, AGJ. My final offer came about five days after notification that I would be receiving the final job offer. My last name starts with a letter in the middle of the alphabet so, if they're going alphabetically, perhaps that could explain a longer wait for some rather than others? Pure conjecture, though.
7/19 - app
8/19 - Ph 1
1/20 - M&G
2/20 - Ph 2 W
9/20 - Ph 2 I
10/20 - PFT/CAO
12/20 - PSI/Poly
1/21 - Med
6/21 - BFTC
TwoSevenThreeOne  
#810 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 6:52:33 AM(UTC)
TwoSevenThreeOne

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Any final offers come in for people entering the June class yet? I am on the list for August and trying to get a read on what to expect timing-wise.

I was given a heads up yesterday that June class is all filled up. I was wondering the same thing for Aug. How early can you get official word for a class? Or does everyone find out in that 2-4 week period prior to the class?
AGJ  
#811 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 7:39:41 AM(UTC)
AGJ

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TwoSevenThreeOne Go to Quoted Post

I was given a heads up yesterday that June class is all filled up. I was wondering the same thing for Aug. How early can you get official word for a class? Or does everyone find out in that 2-4 week period prior to the class?

I was told final offers come out around 4 weeks prior to the class start date. I think sometime before that you'd be told by your AC that they are putting you on the list for that class. That's been my experience at least.
thanks 1 user thanked AGJ for this useful post.
TwoSevenThreeOne on 5/12/2021(UTC)
GovGuy25  
#812 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 10:15:47 AM(UTC)
GovGuy25

United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TwoSevenThreeOne Go to Quoted Post

How does that work, did you just ask to defer?

I was asked what date I would like to go, and whether I would like to push for June.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a civilian position. They give you options, but it's up to you whether you want to take them. Even if you sign up, get to q, and don't like the smell of your bed, you can just quit.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 12, 2021 10:19:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked GovGuy25 for this useful post.
TwoSevenThreeOne on 5/12/2021(UTC)
Annino  
#813 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 10:19:42 AM(UTC)
Annino

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Question for those of you this applies to: How long after your Poly were you contacted by an investigator or noticed a credit pull?
tamvid11  
#814 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 11:54:03 AM(UTC)
tamvid11

United States

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Annino Go to Quoted Post
Question for those of you this applies to: How long after your Poly were you contacted by an investigator or noticed a credit pull?

I was only contacted by an investigator because they couldn't reach one of my references in a timely enough manner... This was 6 weeks after my poly and the same week of my second medical appointment. Credit was checked nearly 2 months after the poly.

You're going to see multiple answers for this. Most of the time the credit is pulled first. At least that is what I've seen. I was surprised mine was pulled so late.
Annino  
#815 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 11:55:24 AM(UTC)
Annino

I was only contacted by an investigator because they couldn't reach one of my references in a timely enough manner... This was 6 weeks after my poly and the same week of my second medical appointment. Credit was checked nearly 2 months after the poly.

You're going to see multiple answers for this. Most of the time the credit is pulled first. At least that is what I've seen. I was surprised mine was pulled so late.

Interesting. Did they inform you before they went to your current employer?
ItsMeJay  
#816 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 3:20:34 PM(UTC)
ItsMeJay

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)

Hey Amino, for me I got a call 16 days after my Poly.
RaiderFan  
#817 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 3:23:48 PM(UTC)
RaiderFan

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ItsMeJay Go to Quoted Post

I’m almost 3 weeks post poly and have yet to get a call concerning my background. However, my medical has been scheduled so I’m assuming I’ll hear something soon.
ItsMeJay  
#818 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 4:05:48 PM(UTC)
ItsMeJay

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RaiderFan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ItsMeJay Go to Quoted Post

I’m almost 3 weeks post poly and have yet to get a call concerning my background. However, my medical has been scheduled so I’m assuming I’ll hear something soon.

I’m sure you’ll hear soon, just remember to pick up every single call. My investigator called from an out of state number.
Heyguys222  
#819 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 3:49:42 AM(UTC)
Heyguys222

Those who had your Poly how long after your PSI did it take to schedule? I had my PSI a month ago and no word so I feel I must be close.
Annino  
#820 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 4:19:53 AM(UTC)
Annino

Those who had your Poly how long after your PSI did it take to schedule? I had my PSI a month ago and no word so I feel I must be close.

Mine was a week after PSI. It depends on FO though
Rss Feed  Atom Feed