Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

99 Pages«<4041424344>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GovGuy25  
#821 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 8:47:49 AM(UTC)
GovGuy25

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/5/2019(UTC)
Posts: 58
United States

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Good luck liquid!
thanks 1 user thanked GovGuy25 for this useful post.
Mr. Liquid on 5/13/2021(UTC)
ItsMeJay  
#822 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 9:07:04 AM(UTC)
ItsMeJay

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/11/2016(UTC)
Posts: 24
United States

Thanks: 25 times
Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Annino Go to Quoted Post
OK - my credit has now been pulled and medical scheduled for a few weeks from now. Last time I went through, both investigators contacted me before they started reaching out to people but I know that is not always a guarantee. Thinking I should wait to get that call before telling my boss...thoughts?


When my BI first called he told me who he was going to reach out to and to let them know, one of them was by current boss. He got called a little more than a week after that.
COmtbr  
#823 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 11:38:02 AM(UTC)
COmtbr

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/26/2020(UTC)
Posts: 31

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have a sort of specific question for anyone in the process who works part time... Or for anyone who has input:

I just graduated college (last week), and I'll be submitting my app as soon as my transcripts are available. I have been working part time as a shooting instructor while in school (former military and other professional experience). I plan to continue working part time as an instructor, as there is no real full time availability in this role. With that being said, are any of you working part time while going through the process, has that been brought up in any negative way? I'm slightly concerned that they will see my part time work as... less than desired employment behavior when I could be working full time somewhere else.

Im very confident my prior experience in the military and working as a medical device sales rep for a few years checks the boxes for professional experience. Im just concerned that they will see me currently working part time and that will throw up a red flag. I know it may not be a major concern, but I know how competitive this is and im trying to iron out all of the rough edges.

Thanks to all for great info
Annino  
#824 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 11:42:28 AM(UTC)
Annino

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/23/2013(UTC)
Posts: 564

Thanks: 73 times
Was thanked: 111 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Originally Posted by: COmtbr Go to Quoted Post
I have a sort of specific question for anyone in the process who works part time... Or for anyone who has input:

I just graduated college (last week), and I'll be submitting my app as soon as my transcripts are available. I have been working part time as a shooting instructor while in school (former military and other professional experience). I plan to continue working part time as an instructor, as there is no real full time availability in this role. With that being said, are any of you working part time while going through the process, has that been brought up in any negative way? I'm slightly concerned that they will see my part time work as... less than desired employment behavior when I could be working full time somewhere else.

Im very confident my prior experience in the military and working as a medical device sales rep for a few years checks the boxes for professional experience. Im just concerned that they will see me currently working part time and that will throw up a red flag. I know it may not be a major concern, but I know how competitive this is and im trying to iron out all of the rough edges.

Thanks to all for great info


I imagine your military and sales experience qualify you for the SA position. There is no picture perfect candidate. My best advice is to explain everything. Anything that concerns you, explain it and be fully transparent. That's what I've learned yields the best results. You'll be surprised at how many things that are significant in our minds, are likely not significant in the Bureau's view. Good luck!
userzero  
#825 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 12:14:07 PM(UTC)
userzero

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/25/2021(UTC)
Posts: 33

Thanks: 14 times
Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mr. Liquid Go to Quoted Post
I've got my pre-Q PFT tomorrow morning. Wish me luck! I'm confident I'll do well but definitely have butterflies...


You're prepared, you've rehearsed, now you just gotta go out and perform! Embrace the discomfort. Comfort is overrated anyway. Good luck!
7/19 - app
8/19 - Ph 1
1/20 - M&G
2/20 - Ph 2 W
9/20 - Ph 2 I
10/20 - PFT/CAO
12/20 - PSI/Poly
1/21 - Med
6/21 - BFTC
Heyguys222  
#826 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 2:33:10 PM(UTC)
Heyguys222

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/9/2020(UTC)
Posts: 75

Thanks: 11 times
Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: COmtbr Go to Quoted Post
I have a sort of specific question for anyone in the process who works part time... Or for anyone who has input:

I just graduated college (last week), and I'll be submitting my app as soon as my transcripts are available. I have been working part time as a shooting instructor while in school (former military and other professional experience). I plan to continue working part time as an instructor, as there is no real full time availability in this role. With that being said, are any of you working part time while going through the process, has that been brought up in any negative way? I'm slightly concerned that they will see my part time work as... less than desired employment behavior when I could be working full time somewhere else.

Im very confident my prior experience in the military and working as a medical device sales rep for a few years checks the boxes for professional experience. Im just concerned that they will see me currently working part time and that will throw up a red flag. I know it may not be a major concern, but I know how competitive this is and im trying to iron out all of the rough edges.

Thanks to all for great info


As long as you have the experience I wouldn’t worry. I had 10 years work experience but I was unemployed both when I applied and when I had my competitiveness ranking. Still was ranked competitive. It’s a whole person approach, not just who you are at that one moment.
3333725  
#827 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 2:48:39 PM(UTC)
3333725

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/12/2021(UTC)
Posts: 1

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I was reticent about posting because of the confidentiality agreement but figured that there is no harm as long as we don't share specifics. Currently, I am in the BI component and hopefully completing my medical shortly.

I compiled several FAQs (from this thread and personal experience) that may be useful for current and future applicants:

*After M&G, competitive/not competitive. Write your CV following the Federal CV Format, paying attention to how your academic and professional background embodied the SA core competencies. Moreover, it's a plus if an applicant's background includes a broad range of areas - professions (not necessarily military or law enforcement).
*Phase II: a) for the written portion, read the "testing overview guide" and carefully review the "practice writing - sample scenarios." I further practiced this section by reading news/scientific articles and synthesizing information that I would later use to write a report following the BLUF format. Especial attention to your grammar and being concise. b) for the interview, I essentially learned about the FBI from their website (i.e., about, mission, etc.) and prepared my answers to behavioral questions related to the SA core competencies.
* Polygraph: people have mixed experiences with this, but you should be fine if you hear about scheduling your medical appointment—usually a couple of days - or a week after the poly.
* Language testing. I have yet to learn how this goes; more updates as I go thru the testing. However, I think it would be safe to assume that they use the Interagency Language Roundtable criteria to determine your proficiency.
*PFT. You have to take one, 120 days before reporting to Q. At my FO, you must take it a month before Q. Some helpful tips -which I also read on this thread- are to run a mock test with all the events in the same order (SU, Sp, PU, 1.5M, PullU) as the pre-Q PFT (I do 1/week), hydrate/take care of your nutrition, be careful not to injure yourself (e.g., overexertion).

Best luck to everyone! Hopefully, I'll see you at Q Sep '21 or early '22.

Edited by user Thursday, May 13, 2021 2:50:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked 3333725 for this useful post.
AverageNYCGUY on 5/13/2021(UTC)
ItsMeJay  
#828 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 3:07:23 PM(UTC)
ItsMeJay

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/11/2016(UTC)
Posts: 24
United States

Thanks: 25 times
Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Just a random drop: My AC mentioned an October class, not sure how accurate this is or if she was mistaken. Just thought I’d put it out there.
thanks 1 user thanked ItsMeJay for this useful post.
Annino on 5/13/2021(UTC)
Annino  
#829 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 3:19:33 PM(UTC)
Annino

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/23/2013(UTC)
Posts: 564

Thanks: 73 times
Was thanked: 111 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Sorry to beat a dead horse here. I just recently got my Hep A shot. Dose 2 is the first week of November. Those of you going to Q, did you have both Hep A shots prior to being allowed to go? Or do you just have to show proof of having one?
MK7QF  
#830 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 5:01:36 AM(UTC)
MK7QF

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/3/2021(UTC)
Posts: 18
United States
Location: Midwest

Thanks: 13 times
Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Proteus Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: 3333725 Go to Quoted Post
I was reticent about posting because of the confidentiality agreement but figured that there is no harm as long as we don't share specifics. Currently, I am in the BI component and hopefully completing my medical shortly.

I compiled several FAQs (from this thread and personal experience) that may be useful for current and future applicants:

*After M&G, competitive/not competitive. Write your CV following the Federal CV Format, paying attention to how your academic and professional background embodied the SA core competencies. Moreover, it's a plus if an applicant's background includes a broad range of areas - professions (not necessarily military or law enforcement).
*Phase II: a) for the written portion, read the "testing overview guide" and carefully review the "practice writing - sample scenarios." I further practiced this section by reading news/scientific articles and synthesizing information that I would later use to write a report following the BLUF format. Especial attention to your grammar and being concise. b) for the interview, I essentially learned about the FBI from their website (i.e., about, mission, etc.) and prepared my answers to behavioral questions related to the SA core competencies.
* Polygraph: people have mixed experiences with this, but you should be fine if you hear about scheduling your medical appointment—usually a couple of days - or a week after the poly.
* Language testing. I have yet to learn how this goes; more updates as I go thru the testing. However, I think it would be safe to assume that they use the Interagency Language Roundtable criteria to determine your proficiency.
*PFT. You have to take one, 120 days before reporting to Q. At my FO, you must take it a month before Q. Some helpful tips -which I also read on this thread- are to run a mock test with all the events in the same order (SU, Sp, PU, 1.5M, PullU) as the pre-Q PFT (I do 1/week), hydrate/take care of your nutrition, be careful not to injure yourself (e.g., overexertion).

Best luck to everyone! Hopefully, I'll see you at Q Sep '21 or early '22.


This is a great summary. Thanks for this. I'm sure it'll be useful to anyone who is new to the thread/application process. One question though: how long did it take you to get your competitiveness ranking after the one-on-one M&G? And can anyone give a general timeline for time from getting competitiveness ranking to being able to schedule the P2 Written and the interview? Just trying to get an idea of how much time we are talking for each of those. I'm in the USSS SA process as well, which seems to be moving quicker, so I'm just hoping that delays in the FBI SA process don't cause me to get too far ahead in the USSS process comparatively, ultimately not allowing me to see the whole FBI SA process through.


From what I've seen, that timeline is varying from person to person and FO to FO. I began my application process in January and did my M&G in March. During my individual portion of the 1-1 I was told there were no doubts about me being ranked as competitive. I had my individual M&G on March 24 and was invited to schedule my P2 Written by March 29. I scheduled mine for April 24, there were a few earlier appointments available but I had conflicts. I completed it April 24 but I am currently still waiting to be invited to schedule my P2 interview. I have seen some people being able to schedule theirs in as few as 2-3 weeks after their P2 Written but some seem to have to wait a month or two (sometimes longer).

Apply: 01/05/21
Ph I: 02/10/21
M&G (group): 03/19/21
M&G (individual): 03/24/2021
Ph II (W): 04/24/21
Ph II (I): TBD
thanks 1 user thanked MK7QF for this useful post.
Cody47 on 5/14/2021(UTC)
BrickAgent  
#831 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 5:03:33 AM(UTC)
BrickAgent

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/14/2021(UTC)
Posts: 38
United States

Thanks: 33 times
Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Liquid, how'd the pre-Q go? You joining me in August?? :)
Mission0  
#832 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 6:44:31 AM(UTC)
Mission0

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/25/2021(UTC)
Posts: 26

Thanks: 7 times
Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ItsMeJay Go to Quoted Post
Just a random drop: My AC mentioned an October class, not sure how accurate this is or if she was mistaken. Just thought I’d put it out there.


Mine did too!
AGJ  
#833 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 6:56:42 AM(UTC)
AGJ

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/28/2021(UTC)
Posts: 8

Thanks: 11 times
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mission0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ItsMeJay Go to Quoted Post
Just a random drop: My AC mentioned an October class, not sure how accurate this is or if she was mistaken. Just thought I’d put it out there.


Mine did too!


Classes held during Oct/Nov/Dec are considered part of the next fiscal year, 2022, which confuses people when they hear there won't be anymore classes this year (2021) after September.
thanks 2 users thanked AGJ for this useful post.
305Esquire on 5/14/2021(UTC), ItsMeJay on 5/14/2021(UTC)
Mr. Liquid  
#834 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 8:06:43 AM(UTC)
Mr. Liquid

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/23/2020(UTC)
Posts: 40

Thanks: 25 times
Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BrickAgent Go to Quoted Post
Liquid, how'd the pre-Q go? You joining me in August?? :)


It’s a pass! I got 20 points. Thanks for all the well wishes!

Looking forward to August!
thanks 5 users thanked Mr. Liquid for this useful post.
1811_Z on 5/14/2021(UTC), BrickAgent on 5/14/2021(UTC), userzero on 5/14/2021(UTC), tamvid11 on 5/14/2021(UTC), Amalgamation on 5/14/2021(UTC)
ItsMeJay  
#835 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 8:07:11 AM(UTC)
ItsMeJay

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/11/2016(UTC)
Posts: 24
United States

Thanks: 25 times
Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AGJ Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mission0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ItsMeJay Go to Quoted Post
Just a random drop: My AC mentioned an October class, not sure how accurate this is or if she was mistaken. Just thought I’d put it out there.


Mine did too!


Classes held during Oct/Nov/Dec are considered part of the next fiscal year, 2022, which confuses people when they hear there won't be anymore classes this year (2021) after September.


Wow *smacks head* I should’ve known that as a current federal employee. Totally slipped my mind though, Thanks.
BrickAgent  
#836 Posted : Sunday, May 16, 2021 10:18:34 AM(UTC)
BrickAgent

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/14/2021(UTC)
Posts: 38
United States

Thanks: 33 times
Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Interesting bedtime read - also useful info on how investigations are opened and their various stages as well.

https://www.fbi.gov/file...trategic-report.pdf/view
Annino  
#837 Posted : Sunday, May 16, 2021 11:56:33 AM(UTC)
Annino

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/23/2013(UTC)
Posts: 564

Thanks: 73 times
Was thanked: 111 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BrickAgent Go to Quoted Post
Interesting bedtime read - also useful info on how investigations are opened and their various stages as well.

https://www.fbi.gov/file...trategic-report.pdf/view


Thanks Brick. I also found sifting through the FBI Vault documents to be helpful in understanding the paperwork involved in investigations. Putting the cart before the horse as I am still in background, but still interesting to review.

https://vault.fbi.gov/
thanks 1 user thanked Annino for this useful post.
BrickAgent on 5/16/2021(UTC)
FutureGmen  
#838 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2021 3:54:09 AM(UTC)
FutureGmen

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/6/2020(UTC)
Posts: 60
United States

Thanks: 89 times
Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Proteus Go to Quoted Post
Is it weird that it has been two weeks since my 1-on-1 M&G and I still haven't received my competitiveness ranking? My AC is surprised it is taking so long, but it seems everyone else on here has heard back usually within a week. I really think I'm a competitive candidate (multiple degrees, fairly diverse background, government work experience, etc.), and I made sure to follow the government's resume layout/requirements. But do you think it indicates something negative that I haven't heard anything yet?


Be patient because you can’t rush government it’s called “Hurry up and Wait” you’re AC will or should know before you. I have a friend waiting as well. Fingers crossed
Heyguys222  
#839 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2021 6:46:44 AM(UTC)
Heyguys222

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/9/2020(UTC)
Posts: 75

Thanks: 11 times
Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Proteus Go to Quoted Post
Is it weird that it has been two weeks since my 1-on-1 M&G and I still haven't received my competitiveness ranking? My AC is surprised it is taking so long, but it seems everyone else on here has heard back usually within a week. I really think I'm a competitive candidate (multiple degrees, fairly diverse background, government work experience, etc.), and I made sure to follow the government's resume layout/requirements. But do you think it indicates something negative that I haven't heard anything yet?


One thing I’ve learned in this process is their is no weird waiting time. It’s been over a month since my PSI and no Poly yet. Others said they got theirs in a week. Some even the same day. It just depends on where you’re being processed. Don’t think too much into it. If they didn’t want you they’d let you know right away.
Wandersoul12345  
#840 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2021 1:04:36 PM(UTC)
Wandersoul12345

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/18/2021(UTC)
Posts: 1
Location: USA

SA applicant here. Passed Phase 1, and got passing email for Phase 2 and conditional offer email the same day. Can I pause my application before starting poly/BI? If I reject the offer, can I reapply and use my Phase 1 and Phase 2 from the first application? Don’t really want to restart this whole process haha
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest (4)
99 Pages«<4041424344>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Powered by YAF 2.1.1 | YAF © 2003-2022, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 2.525 seconds.