Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

86 Pages«<7879808182>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GoodJuju  
#1581 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2021 5:55:33 AM(UTC)
GoodJuju

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Alright2015 Go to Quoted Post
What is the date for the January academy class? I know the December one is on the 5th. Haven’t heard anything about January though.

January 30 is a date for 22-02 class.
thanks 1 user thanked GoodJuju for this useful post.
debellil on 9/24/2021(UTC)
NGP  
#1582 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2021 4:31:50 AM(UTC)
NGP

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Proteus Go to Quoted Post
Not that it's a fixed thing I'm sure, but does anyone have a rough idea of the general order in which the BI is conducted? For example, are your 3 references getting called usually the first sign of progress, or credit pulled, etc? Perhaps this is unknowable, but just trying to get an idea of how to gauge progress in that regard.

For me, the first thing that happened was my credit was pulled, then the following day my first reference was called (personal reference). Professional references were maybe a couple days after that. I don't think there's a general order to how its done. After speaking with my investigators they indicated to me they get assigned a task (reference or or prior address to contact) and are given a deadline of when they need to complete it by. So if you've lived/worked in multiple different states/areas you'll probably have multiple investigators who area just getting it done when they have the time (before their assigned due date).

thanks 1 user thanked NGP for this useful post.
Proteus on 9/25/2021(UTC)
BoundMorpheme  
#1583 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2021 10:51:14 AM(UTC)
BoundMorpheme

United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GoodJuju Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Alright2015 Go to Quoted Post
What is the date for the January academy class? I know the December one is on the 5th. Haven’t heard anything about January though.

January 30 is a date for 22-02 class.

Would you mind sharing your source on this? Just want to be sure before I contact my AC again. Thanks in advance!
NGP  
#1584 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2021 1:17:24 PM(UTC)
NGP

United States

Originally Posted by: NGP Go to Quoted Post
Not that it's a fixed thing I'm sure, but does anyone have a rough idea of the general order in which the BI is conducted? For example, are your 3 references getting called usually the first sign of progress, or credit pulled, etc? Perhaps this is unknowable, but just trying to get an idea of how to gauge progress in that regard.

For me, the first thing that happened was my credit was pulled, then the following day my first reference was called (personal reference). Professional references were maybe a couple days after that. I don't think there's a general order to how its done. After speaking with my investigators they indicated to me they get assigned a task (reference or or prior address to contact) and are given a deadline of when they need to complete it by. So if you've lived/worked in multiple different states/areas you'll probably have multiple investigators who area just getting it done when they have the time (before their assigned due date).

Very interesting, thanks for the insight on that. I was just wondering because I had always assumed they'd first pull your credit (since it's a fairly quick task to accomplish) then contact references. But I check by credit report yesterday and no credit pull, but they contacted my first reference, so I'm just starting to get nervous that they will contact my current employer before I have a chance to tell them to expect the call (and that I am leaving at some point in the future) since I have Monday off. Finger's crossed that they hold off at least until Tuesday I guess...

I was struggling with the a similar decision for a while as well. I ended up just telling my employer that a federal agency was conducting a background investigation on me once I passed poly since I knew the call was inevitable.

I've come to the realization that it didn't really matter when I told my employer. Even if the FBI waited until the end of the BI, there will still be several weeks/months before getting a final offer and going to Quantico. So I'd have to continue working for my employer for awhile before I could give them my resignation regardless.
Proteus on 9/26/2021(UTC)
Irish  
#1585 Posted : Saturday, September 25, 2021 4:02:13 PM(UTC)
Irish

United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)

Very interesting, thanks for the insight on that. I was just wondering because I had always assumed they'd first pull your credit (since it's a fairly quick task to accomplish) then contact references. But I check by credit report yesterday and no credit pull, but they contacted my first reference, so I'm just starting to get nervous that they will contact my current employer before I have a chance to tell them to expect the call (and that I am leaving at some point in the future) since I have Monday off. Finger's crossed that they hold off at least until Tuesday I guess...

I was struggling with the a similar decision for a while as well. I ended up just telling my employer that a federal agency was conducting a background investigation on me once I passed poly since I knew the call was inevitable.

I've come to the realization that it didn't really matter when I told my employer. Even if the FBI waited until the end of the BI, there will still be several weeks/months before getting a final offer and going to Quantico. So I'd have to continue working for my employer for awhile before I could give them my resignation regardless.

It's been several months since I filled out the 86 form but if I recall, there was an option for you to select to be notified before they contact your current employer. I got a call asking if it was ok for them to contact them that day or wait the next day.
TCpara  
#1586 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2021 9:07:52 AM(UTC)
TCpara

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

In my case, it was a soft pull. So credit monitoring doesn't pick up on it. I had to actually get a full report and sift through the dozens of soft pulls to find it. But it was done before my references were called.
thanks 1 user thanked TCpara for this useful post.
Proteus on 9/26/2021(UTC)
Alright2015  
#1587 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2021 5:03:01 PM(UTC)
Alright2015

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Good evening, my portal still hasn’t updated (still says to schedule PFT). My AC says she has sent my PFT scores into HQ on the 15th of this month. How long did it take for you all’s portal to update to say “pending final offer”?

And yes I’ve already been favorably adjudicated, so pending final offer is the stage that should be up next correct?
P1:4/19
MG:12/20
P2W:1/21
P2I:3/21
COL:3/21
EQIP:3/21
Drug:3/21
PSI:4/21
Ply:5/21
Ply2:6/21
Md:6/21
Ref.called6/21
debellil  
#1588 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2021 3:26:04 AM(UTC)
debellil

United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Can someone explain the significance of date changes? First off, I assume you all mean on the "my applications" tab in the portal, correct? Second, I had my poly in early September, and about a week later had a date change. What would you all take this to mean? And has anyone had multiple date changes throughout the background investigation, or will the next date change likely be indicative of the BI coming to a conclusion (month in the future, I presume)?

I believe I had a date change at each significant checkpoint in the process. One after COA, polygraph, med clearance, and then adjudication.
thanks 1 user thanked debellil for this useful post.
Proteus on 9/27/2021(UTC)
NGP  
#1589 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2021 4:08:42 AM(UTC)
NGP

United States

Originally Posted by: debellil Go to Quoted Post
Can someone explain the significance of date changes? First off, I assume you all mean on the "my applications" tab in the portal, correct? Second, I had my poly in early September, and about a week later had a date change. What would you all take this to mean? And has anyone had multiple date changes throughout the background investigation, or will the next date change likely be indicative of the BI coming to a conclusion (month in the future, I presume)?

I believe I had a date change at each significant checkpoint in the process. One after COA, polygraph, med clearance, and then adjudication.

Same for me, after each major task was completed.

e2b13  
#1590 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2021 4:19:32 AM(UTC)
e2b13

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)

From my experience, I would assume a date change after your poly means you passed and the background/medical will start. Similar to what has been shared I had a date change on my application throughout the major tasks except medical. I wasn't told I had cleared medical until I asked my AC. I've also had a date change throughout my BI and in my case, it did not mean that I was in adjudication/cleared yet.
thanks 1 user thanked e2b13 for this useful post.
Mr.Jeep  
#1591 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2021 4:25:17 AM(UTC)
Mr.Jeep

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: e2b13 Go to Quoted Post

From my experience, I would assume a date change after your poly means you passed and the background/medical will start. Similar to what has been shared I had a date change on my application throughout the major tasks except medical. I wasn't told I had cleared medical until I asked my AC. I've also had a date change throughout my BI and in my case, it did not mean that I was in adjudication/cleared yet.

I agree that the date change would probably be related to passing the poly. I had my poly this month and had a date change in the portal shortly after. I also had my portal update to "schedule PFT".
App:1/21
P1:2/21
M&G:2/21
P2w:4/21
P2i:6/21
CAO:7/21
PSI:8/21
Poly:8/21
Poly2:9/21
Ref:10/21
Credit:10/21
Med: 11/21

Mr.Jeep  
#1592 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2021 4:38:07 AM(UTC)
Mr.Jeep

United States

I heard that if you fail 2 tests in Quantico then you "wash out", however, the pass rates for most tests are anecdotally around 90%.

If someone does fail a single test, is there any opportunity for a retake while at Quantico? Also, if a NAT fails 2 tests, would they be put in another class at a future date? (this was alluded to on the "Former FBI Special Agent" youtube channel in the "FBI Academy Firearms Instruction" video)

Obviously, all of us will be working overtime to avoid any of these scenarios...

Mr.Jeep  
#1593 Posted : Monday, September 27, 2021 6:36:06 AM(UTC)
Mr.Jeep

United States

Originally Posted by: Mr.Jeep Go to Quoted Post
I heard that if you fail 2 tests in Quantico then you "wash out", however, the pass rates for most tests are anecdotally around 90%.

If someone does fail a single test, is there any opportunity for a retake while at Quantico? Also, if a NAT fails 2 tests, would they be put in another class at a future date? (this was alluded to on the "Former FBI Special Agent" youtube channel in the "FBI Academy Firearms Instruction" video)

Obviously, all of us will be working overtime to avoid any of these scenarios...

Based on watching the FBI’s “Becoming an Agent” series, it was my understanding that if you fail an exam you get to retake it. Then if you fail again you wash out. As far as being placed in a future class, from listening to an episode from a former Q firearms instructor on the “FBI Case Review” podcast that this applies to failing firearm qualification. There are also certain things that are apparently automatic failures. For example I heard from this podcast that there is a final case file you put together on a hypothetical case and you have to testify in a moot court. Apparently some NATs have washed out for lying on the stand…

That's super helpful to know. And I heard the same about the moot court, makes me wonder if they were deliberately lying or just did not do their due diligence and said something that was uncorroborated/undocumented. Either way, it's good to make sure you are careful during that exercise. I can't imagine any reason why someone would deliberately lie during a moot court

NGP  
#1594 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2021 6:26:42 AM(UTC)
NGP

United States

Well, I was able to let my current job know today, and thankfully they hadn't heard from the background investigator yet. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be honestly. While I didn't tell them what job it was for, they seemed happy for me rather than angry, which was my fear since they'd put a lot of resources into training me previously. So perhaps there is a lesson in there for other people around this point in the process--it's probably not going to be as bad as you think letting your current employer know you're in another hiring process.

Good to hear it went well.

And I second your advice to anyone else worrying.

I was stressing for months about telling my employer but when I finally did they were cool about it. Sad to see me go but wished me the best of luck. I think in this day in age it's common for people to switch jobs/careers pretty frequently where as in the past it was normal for someone to start and end their career with the same employer.

TwoAnchors2608  
#1595 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2021 8:16:52 AM(UTC)
TwoAnchors2608

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

It seems it might be a little different for everyone (I understand how that could be less than helpful). I've seen date changes after major events (phase II, poly, PFT) but there have also been oddities in the portal. I had check marks show up 4 days before completing the PFT and I've gone through 3 iterations of my "complete background" being checked and unchecked. It is currently checked and I remain in pending final offer, but the date in the applications section has not changed since early August. All this to say unfortunately trying to glean anything from the date changes seems like trying to read tea leaves, the process appears (as many have said) to be a hurry up and wait. Patience is a virtue (which I lack, haha) and the best source seems to be your AC, FO, or emails from FBIJobs. It's a tough waiting game but in the end should be worth it, hang in there!
TDnike2189  
#1596 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2021 11:39:56 AM(UTC)
TDnike2189

Just a general question. I am about to start working for the IRS as a revenue officer but would like to eventually apply for the FBI special agent position. I was curious once you go through the process and become an agent is it possible to continue education. Such as get a law degree. Can you leave the FBI and come back? Any help would be appreciated from someone who works there.
DUSM90  
#1597 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2021 3:56:32 AM(UTC)
DUSM90

United States

Is there an average turn around time to receive eqip after acceptance of the conditional offer? Sorry if that’s already been posted in this thread. Thanks
Mr.Jeep  
#1598 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2021 5:20:40 AM(UTC)
Mr.Jeep

United States

Originally Posted by: DUSM90 Go to Quoted Post
Is there an average turn around time to receive eqip after acceptance of the conditional offer? Sorry if that’s already been posted in this thread. Thanks

I received mine about 4 weeks after the CO. I know there was somewhere in the CO that mentioned you would receive e-QIP within 2 weeks so I thought I would automatically receive it sooner, but that was not the case. However, I was only given 3 days to submit the e-QIP upon receipt(as opposed to the 10 mentioned), so it was important that I had already gathered in advance all my information related to family members, foreign contacts, past addresses, social media, etc... It took some time to gather this as you need detailed information such as emails, title and phone numbers of supervisors for all prior work experience, addresses of people who know you well which may require you to reach out to several people and await responses

TotalNewb  
#1599 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2021 7:05:46 AM(UTC)
TotalNewb

United States

I received mine about 4 weeks after the CO. I know there was somewhere in the CO that mentioned you would receive e-QIP within 2 weeks so I thought I would automatically receive it sooner, but that was not the case.

I got my E-Qip information the day after I accepted the CAO. Just like the rest of the process, it seems to vary greatly from FO to FO.

Timeline:
App: 7/21
P1 Test: 7/21
P1 Test Results: 7/21 (Passed)
M&G: 7/21
P2W: 8/21
P2I: 9/21
P2 Results: 9/21 (Passed)
CAO: 9/21
Background started: 9/21
e2b13  
#1600 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2021 7:32:31 AM(UTC)
e2b13

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TotalNewb Go to Quoted Post

I received mine about 4 weeks after the CO. I know there was somewhere in the CO that mentioned you would receive e-QIP within 2 weeks so I thought I would automatically receive it sooner, but that was not the case.

I got my E-Qip information the day after I accepted the CAO. Just like the rest of the process, it seems to vary greatly from FO to FO.

Timeline:
App: 7/21
P1 Test: 7/21
P1 Test Results: 7/21 (Passed)
M&G: 7/21
P2W: 8/21
P2I: 9/21
P2 Results: 9/21 (Passed)
CAO: 9/21
Background started: 9/21

@Totalnewb- Wow, that's such a fast timeline. That's awesome!
@DUSM90- It took about a week for me to receive the link to equip.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed