Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

97 Pages«<8384858687>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Annino  
#1681 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2021 5:00:04 AM(UTC)
Annino

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Originally Posted by: debellil Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Annino Go to Quoted Post
I now have a green check mark next to "Complete Background" in the Portal. Anyone know if this means I should be expecting "the call"?

I got the cleared for hire call a few days after the green check mark. I don’t know how consistent that is, but it’s what happened to me. Hopefully you hear the good news soon!

Thanks! I hope so too!
e2b13  
#1682 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2021 5:06:52 AM(UTC)
e2b13

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I now have a green check mark next to "Complete Background" in the Portal. Anyone know if this means I should be expecting "the call"?

That's great news! Hoping you get the call today.
Annino  
#1683 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2021 9:35:30 AM(UTC)
Annino

Just got the call. Fit test soon, but not sure whether I will on the roster for December. Any ideas on when the rosters come out?
Annino  
#1684 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2021 9:37:46 AM(UTC)
Annino

Originally Posted by: Proteus Go to Quoted Post
Just got the call. Fit test soon, but not sure whether I will on the roster for December. Any ideas on when the rosters come out?

In theory 2-4 weeks before the class I believe, but not 100 percent on that. Technically I don't think the rosters have been chosen yet, so anything is possible I guess.

Good to know. Thanks!
JerseyGuy  
#1685 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2021 10:16:14 AM(UTC)
JerseyGuy

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

In theory 2-4 weeks before the class I believe, but not 100 percent on that. Technically I don't think the rosters have been chosen yet, so anything is possible I guess.

Good to know. Thanks!

Congrats! When did background officially start for you? I’m trying to gauge how long it took (I know, I know. It varies person to person and FO to FO)
Annino  
#1686 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2021 10:18:56 AM(UTC)
Annino

Originally Posted by: JerseyGuy Go to Quoted Post

Good to know. Thanks!

Congrats! When did background officially start for you? I’m trying to gauge how long it took (I know, I know. It varies person to person and FO to FO)

March. Then I went to Psych in August. Contacts, Medical all done in between
Trooper23  
#1687 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2021 10:42:12 AM(UTC)
Trooper23

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Congrats!
thanks 1 user thanked Trooper23 for this useful post.
Annino on 10/22/2021(UTC)
meanhorn  
#1688 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2021 11:25:30 AM(UTC)
meanhorn

United States

Hey everyone,

I have the Phase 2 interview coming up soon, and was hoping that anyone who has already gone through it can give me some advice. I know that there is a NDA, so I am not asking for the specific questions or anything, maybe just how best to prepare in order to be successful. While reading through other posts, my understanding is that the one hour interview consists of just 13 behavioral/story questions, but is this still true in 2021? I do not see this listed on the FBI website.

If it is just 13 questions, what are the consequences of finishing the interview too early? I feel that 13 questions can be answered in around 30 minutes... I have started coming up with some stories, and when I practice, the average length to answer each question using the STAR method is roughly around the 2 minute marker. I feel like I explain everything that there is to explain in that 2 minutes, I guess I am just worried about the length of them, and if finishing the interview in half the allotted time can hurt someone.

Thank you.
Trooper23  
#1689 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2021 11:37:51 AM(UTC)
Trooper23

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: meanhorn Go to Quoted Post
Hey everyone,

I have the Phase 2 interview coming up soon, and was hoping that anyone who has already gone through it can give me some advice. I know that there is a NDA, so I am not asking for the specific questions or anything, maybe just how best to prepare in order to be successful. While reading through other posts, my understanding is that the one hour interview consists of just 13 behavioral/story questions, but is this still true in 2021? I do not see this listed on the FBI website.

If it is just 13 questions, what are the consequences of finishing the interview too early? I feel that 13 questions can be answered in around 30 minutes... I have started coming up with some stories, and when I practice, the average length to answer each question using the STAR method is roughly around the 2 minute marker. I feel like I explain everything that there is to explain in that 2 minutes, I guess I am just worried about the length of them, and if finishing the interview in half the allotted time can hurt someone.

Thank you.

Sounds about right for the amount of questions....11-13.

As mentioned, use the STAR method and answer the entire question (to include all parts of the question(s)) using your experience. Ask questions to repeat/or clarify the question(s) as needed.

It is a 1 hr MAX....no penalty for being done early.

Just be prepared to answer questions that are loosely based on the Bureau's core competencies and you will do great.
thanks 1 user thanked Trooper23 for this useful post.
meanhorn on 10/22/2021(UTC)
meanhorn  
#1690 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2021 12:54:43 PM(UTC)
meanhorn

United States

Originally Posted by: Trooper23 Go to Quoted Post
Hey everyone,

Thank you.

As mentioned, use the STAR method and answer the entire question (to include all parts of the question(s)) using your experience. Ask questions to repeat/or clarify the question(s) as needed.

Just be prepared to answer questions that are loosely based on the Bureau's core competencies and you will do great.

Thanks for the great advice! Good to know there is no penalty for being done early.
Proteus  
#1691 Posted : Friday, October 22, 2021 4:19:05 PM(UTC)
Proteus

United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Hey everyone,

Thank you.

Thanks for the great advice! Good to know there is no penalty for being done early.

Honestly, treat it like a performance, because that is what it is. I was a performer for many years and I always found the way to perform at peak level was to over-prepare. To that end, my method was as follows. I hope it helps you in some way:

1. Find a bunch of behavioral/situational interview questions online (there are lots of lists)--Get a list of about 50-100.
2. Memorize the FBI core competencies (see the FBI's website)
3. Make a list of about 20-25 stories initially that could be used to answer various types of questions that you got from step one. Focus on answering questions that have to do with the core competencies (this may seem tough, but keep in mind that something that may have seemed insignificant years ago may serve as a great story for this purpose because it demonstrates one or more core competencies well).
4. Run through the stories and match them with the core competencies and situational/behavioral questions for which they work best.
5. Closer to the interview, wittle down the number of questions and stories you focus on and learn to adapt the same story to multiple core competencies by emphasizing different parts of the story.
6. Now that you have memorized most parts of your stories, write one sentence per story that will jog your memory and memorize it to prompt yourself when needed to answer a question to help with recall.
7. Fit everything you intend to remember for the interview on one flash card (front and back).
8. Ask someone you trust to ask you random questions from your collection with a list of the core competencies, and have them critique your answers.
9. Run through your stories over and over until you can recall the full list of them. This is important because if you can't even remember what the stories are that you prepared (and you'll be nervous, so it could happen), you will have a tough time.
10. On test day, give yourself every advantage (go to sleep on time the night before, leave early so you don't have to rush and can relax, etc.). Look in the mirror and tell yourself that you are fully prepared and if you fail it is not for lack of preparation. There is no excuse for failure because you did everything in your power to prepare (and if you didn't then, frankly, you don't want it enough to deserve to be hired anyway).

Note: don't worry so much about the time limit as about being succinct and hitting the points you want to demonstrate fit with the core competencies and FBI's mission (also, know the FBI's mission). Long-winded answers are bad, and you should have cut out unnecessary details from your stories long before test day.

Also Note: on test day, make it easy for the interviewers to pass you, because they are on your side--they want you to succeed. So in your answers, it may help to strongly hint at the core competencies you believe any given story demonstrates when responding to their questions. Imagine you are them and had to take notes on the things you are telling them. It would really help if the interviewee made clear to you what the most relelvant parts of the story are in an obvious (but tactful) way. This is also another reason to cut superfluous details out of your stories--it just makes life easier for the interviewers if your story is clear and succinct.

I kind of went overboard in my response, but this was how I prepared in as much detail as I can remember, and it worked out. Not only that, I felt as relaxed as I could have expected because I was confident I was prepared. I don't think anything like this exists on this threat, so I hope it at least gives those up for the P2 interview so ideas on how to prepare themselves.
thanks 2 users thanked Proteus for this useful post.
dathib on 10/23/2021(UTC), meanhorn on 10/23/2021(UTC)
dathib  
#1692 Posted : Saturday, October 23, 2021 3:40:23 AM(UTC)
dathib

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hey everyone,

Thank you.

Honestly, treat it like a performance, because that is what it is. I was a performer for many years and I always found the way to perform at peak level was to over-prepare. To that end, my method was as follows. I hope it helps you in some way:

1. Find a bunch of behavioral/situational interview questions online (there are lots of lists)--Get a list of about 50-100.
3. Make a list of about 20-25 stories initially that could be used to answer various types of questions that you got from step one. Focus on answering questions that have to do with the core competencies (this may seem tough, but keep in mind that something that may have seemed insignificant years ago may serve as a great story for this purpose because it demonstrates one or more core competencies well).
4. Run through the stories and match them with the core competencies and situational/behavioral questions for which they work best.
5. Closer to the interview, wittle down the number of questions and stories you focus on and learn to adapt the same story to multiple core competencies by emphasizing different parts of the story.
6. Now that you have memorized most parts of your stories, write one sentence per story that will jog your memory and memorize it to prompt yourself when needed to answer a question to help with recall.
7. Fit everything you intend to remember for the interview on one flash card (front and back).
8. Ask someone you trust to ask you random questions from your collection with a list of the core competencies, and have them critique your answers.
9. Run through your stories over and over until you can recall the full list of them. This is important because if you can't even remember what the stories are that you prepared (and you'll be nervous, so it could happen), you will have a tough time.
10. On test day, give yourself every advantage (go to sleep on time the night before, leave early so you don't have to rush and can relax, etc.). Look in the mirror and tell yourself that you are fully prepared and if you fail it is not for lack of preparation. There is no excuse for failure because you did everything in your power to prepare (and if you didn't then, frankly, you don't want it enough to deserve to be hired anyway).

Note: don't worry so much about the time limit as about being succinct and hitting the points you want to demonstrate fit with the core competencies and FBI's mission (also, know the FBI's mission). Long-winded answers are bad, and you should have cut out unnecessary details from your stories long before test day.

Also Note: on test day, make it easy for the interviewers to pass you, because they are on your side--they want you to succeed. So in your answers, it may help to strongly hint at the core competencies you believe any given story demonstrates when responding to their questions. Imagine you are them and had to take notes on the things you are telling them. It would really help if the interviewee made clear to you what the most relelvant parts of the story are in an obvious (but tactful) way. This is also another reason to cut superfluous details out of your stories--it just makes life easier for the interviewers if your story is clear and succinct.

I kind of went overboard in my response, but this was how I prepared in as much detail as I can remember, and it worked out. Not only that, I felt as relaxed as I could have expected because I was confident I was prepared. I don't think anything like this exists on this threat, so I hope it at least gives those up for the P2 interview so ideas on how to prepare themselves.

Yeah, if you follow this advice I’d say it’s very unlikely you don’t pass.

ctnyc21  
#1693 Posted : Saturday, October 23, 2021 4:00:10 AM(UTC)
ctnyc21

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Good to know. Thanks!

My background started in August/September and I also just got cleared this week. I was told by my field office that my BI was pretty straightforward when I handed in my SF-86; she could tell simply based on the number of pages in my packet.
NGP  
#1694 Posted : Saturday, October 23, 2021 6:30:26 AM(UTC)
NGP

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ctapplicant21 Go to Quoted Post

Good to know. Thanks!

My background started in August/September and I also just got cleared this week. I was told by my field office that my BI was pretty straightforward when I handed in my SF-86; she could tell simply based on the number of pages in my packet.

Also to add a different perspective to that, my BI started in July and haven't heard anything since my references were contacted in August. My AC told me this week he has no way of telling if it's close to being completed or not.

Annino  
#1695 Posted : Saturday, October 23, 2021 8:08:41 AM(UTC)
Annino

Originally Posted by: NGP Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ctapplicant21 Go to Quoted Post

Good to know. Thanks!

Also to add a different perspective to that, my BI started in July and haven't heard anything since my references were contacted in August. My AC told me this week he has no way of telling if it's close to being completed or not.

I would agree with this. In my experience, my AC has found out when things were completed right when I did, based on a change in the portal. The FO's really don't have a way of predicting. Once they do their work to process everything from the field level, they ship off the packet to HQ who then runs the show. When HQ has questions, the FO will coordinate with you. When HQ clears you, the FO will call you. The FO is in a coordination role, mainly

debellil  
#1696 Posted : Saturday, October 23, 2021 8:14:29 AM(UTC)
debellil

United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
For people who have competed their BI: did they contact all the relatives and former neighbors at all past addresses listed on your SF-86? What about your foreign contacts? Just trying to find more ways to gauge my progress.

For mine, they only even contacted one person from my references. From that contact, they asked for someone else I knew, which also happened to be a former roommate. They spoke to one of my current neighbors, and then prior employment contacts. But no relatives were contacted and no one else I put down as references.
thanks 1 user thanked debellil for this useful post.
Proteus on 10/25/2021(UTC)
Annino  
#1697 Posted : Saturday, October 23, 2021 8:16:47 AM(UTC)
Annino

For people who have competed their BI: did they contact all the relatives and former neighbors at all past addresses listed on your SF-86? What about your foreign contacts? Just trying to find more ways to gauge my progress. I passed the PFT last week but my BI only started 1.5 months ago, and if I don’t make the February class I’ll have to take the PFT again before going, so just trying to be hopeful.

I've seen people get through BI in as little as 3 months. Not all of my references were contacted, to my knowledge. Employers for sure. People you know, sure. But not all. I would be ready physically for February, April, or June. There's no telling really when you'll get cleared. It's a beast of a process! Good luck
meanhorn  
#1698 Posted : Saturday, October 23, 2021 11:05:32 AM(UTC)
meanhorn

United States

Hey everyone,

Thank you.

Wow, thank you for the great tips. All of these points are great advice, I am sure this is going to help many people going through the process of Phase 2.
MEB.124  
#1699 Posted : Saturday, October 23, 2021 4:20:30 PM(UTC)
MEB.124

United States

I am currently in background for the 2021 Collegiate Hiring Initiative, but am considering applying for Special Agent.
Trying to weigh the pros and cons.

Does anyone have experience in switching from a non agent track to agent track while still in background?
Are you able to use passing polygraph/drug/fingerprints and background investigation and transfer it over to an agent application?

I am worried that I am going to get through background and there isn't going to be a Collegiate position available for me, so I want to explore all my options. I don't want all of this work to have been done in vain.

For background:
I got a CJO in December 2020
SF86 / Initial Interview January 2021
Poly May 2021
Drugs/Fingerprints May 2021
Background ongoing? as of September 2021

I appreciate any insight!
TwoAnchors2608  
#1700 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2021 5:32:34 AM(UTC)
TwoAnchors2608

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MEB.124 Go to Quoted Post
I am currently in background for the 2021 Collegiate Hiring Initiative, but am considering applying for Special Agent.
Trying to weigh the pros and cons.

Does anyone have experience in switching from a non agent track to agent track while still in background?
Are you able to use passing polygraph/drug/fingerprints and background investigation and transfer it over to an agent application?

I am worried that I am going to get through background and there isn't going to be a Collegiate position available for me, so I want to explore all my options. I don't want all of this work to have been done in vain.

For background:
I got a CJO in December 2020
SF86 / Initial Interview January 2021
Poly May 2021
Drugs/Fingerprints May 2021
Background ongoing? as of September 2021

I appreciate any insight!

The standard answer here is to ask your coordinator. That being said backgrounds are 'typically' for access to levels of information and not specific positions in my experience, but that is limited on the DoD side. So in theory a TS for the CHI would be good for TS access in another position, but honestly I'm just speculating. I'm not familiar with the CHI but I'd imagine you are in or fresh out of a degree program, keep in mind the SA position requires work experience beyond your degree (2 years for bachelors and 1 year for advanced) so you might not be eligible depending on your situation. Good luck!
App 1-21 / P1 1-21 / M&G 2-21 / P2W 2-21 / P2I 4-21 / CJO 5-21 / Poly 6-21 / Med 8-21 / PFT 8-21(P) & 11-21(P) / FJO 11-21
Rss Feed  Atom Feed