Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
adj10  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2020 4:42:03 AM(UTC)
adj10

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Apologies if my question has been answered in a different thread. Here’s my situation:
I voluntarily downgraded recently from GS11 to GS9 for personal reasons. I got rehired into my old GS9 job before getting the GS11 (different states). Now that I’m back at my old GS9 job, my boss who went above and beyond to rehire me, has told me my job PD will get upgraded to GS11, but that it won’t happen for another 5+ years (I’d be looking at somewhere mid 2020s to see anything).

My question is: is there a minimum amount of time a GS job has to remain at a specific grade before it can get upgraded? The job I’m in was last upgraded from GS7 in 2014 into a brand new PD and it currently sits at GS9.

If anyone’s wondering, I’m a DoD civilian with Air Force.
djp  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 25, 2020 12:21:08 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 169 time(s) in 166 post(s)
A few comments

1 are you the only one or arethere other ones doing the same job as you and are they 9 or 11? If so coukd just apply and transfer jobs.

2. Can look at the points scoring of the job and do a position reclassification challenge

3 get offer elsewhere for 11. They can counter with a match 11 upgrade on your position to retain.
adj10  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 26, 2020 4:52:19 PM(UTC)
adj10

Man
United States

Hi,
I’m the one doing the job at a GS9. I have 2 other people on my team doing similar work, but as GS7. I just transferred back to this job, so it’s meaningless (to me) to transfer again; that’s not my intention.

How would I look at points scoring for the job? I would think that’s a supervisory level task and my job is non-supervisory.
DaVinci95  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 27, 2020 5:04:25 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Originally Posted by: adj10 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
I’m the one doing the job at a GS9. I have 2 other people on my team doing similar work, but as GS7. I just transferred back to this job, so it’s meaningless (to me) to transfer again; that’s not my intention.

How would I look at points scoring for the job? I would think that’s a supervisory level task and my job is non-supervisory.

If you’re a GS9 doing the work of a GS7, why do you think your position should be upgraded to GS11?
djp  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 27, 2020 7:48:09 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: adj10 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

You should have a copy of the formal position description that shows each category and the level and associated pts to it.

On OPM they have general position scoring refs by series. Each has a level tied to points that sum up to total points that they say what level it’s.

LameUsername  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 31, 2020 7:37:17 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
We just did this for an employee in my office.
They were sitting on a GS11 billet and were doing GS12/13 level work.

In the recent past (2-3yrs ago) the position was a GS13. Over the course of those years, there was a lot of shuffling across organizations and contractor/government roles and it ended up shaking out as a GS11.
Our GS15 worked with the director of staff and director of personnel to upgrade the position.

It's not impossible, but it is a challenge.
- Your leadership HAS to be willing to go out on a limb for you. They will be challenged at every step along the way.
- There have to be responsibilities that would align to that higher level (refer to the scoring refs djp discusses)of the job series.
- It needs to be coordinated with financial management or whatever office is responsible for leave & earnings.
djp  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 31, 2020 8:50:39 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: LameUsername Go to Quoted Post

In the recent past (2-3yrs ago) the position was a GS13. Over the course of those years, there was a lot of shuffling across organizations and contractor/government roles and it ended up shaking out as a GS11.
Our GS15 worked with the director of staff and director of personnel to upgrade the position.

- Your leadership HAS to be willing to go out on a limb for you. They will be challenged at every step along the way.
- There have to be responsibilities that would align to that higher level (refer to the scoring refs djp discusses)of the job series.
- It needs to be coordinated with financial management or whatever office is responsible for leave & earnings.

Curious...was this downgrade part of a DOD nips thing. They did that in naps where they gutted 13 to 11.

I’m dealing with this personally in my current position. For me to make an argument I need to first change my series from 0343 to say 1515. Then from the OPM in its scoring and description that I’m clearly at a higher grade. Most of my coworkers are 13/14 jobs with all at 14 levrl. I’m at 12 that they changed an already created 0343 toa different description.

I have a copy of the OPM scoring guidance for 1500 series positions.

LameUsername  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 31, 2020 9:14:04 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: djp Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: LameUsername Go to Quoted Post

Curious...was this downgrade part of a DOD nips thing. They did that in naps where they gutted 13 to 11.

I’m dealing with this personally in my current position. For me to make an argument I need to first change my series from 0343 to say 1515. Then from the OPM in its scoring and description that I’m clearly at a higher grade. Most of my coworkers are 13/14 jobs with all at 14 levrl. I’m at 12 that they changed an already created 0343 toa different description.

I have a copy of the OPM scoring guidance for 1500 series positions.

We can PM with details if you'd like, but the bottom line is that no, it didn't have anything to do with higher level authorities or direction.
It wasn't actually a downgrade- the shuffling of positions across organizations AND the movement to and from civilian and contractor responsibilities created a lot of chaos and by the time the dust settled, this was just the practical result.

As far as changing a job series goes, I have done that myself with the only reason being that it is a more attractive series for promotion potential.
My position was/is in enough of a gray area that my leadership was happy to make the change for me. 0343/1101/0301 among others, were all easily justifiable codes.
That was relatively painless.

Edited by user Thursday, December 31, 2020 9:17:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed