Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kannep2  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2020 7:55:42 AM(UTC)
kannep2

Groups: Registered
Woman

Recently I was given the opportunity to interview for an SES vacancy. At the onset they told me there were 12 questions. What I did not realize was that there would also be a 1 hour limit. I have no contacts in the SES cadre. My preparation research indicated I needed to be able to speak to my ECQ/MTQ information. In the interview I felt confident I was doing what my research had taught me.

I got through 6 of the 12 structured questions. Needless to say I was not hired. The feedback received spoke to the fact that I did not get through the questions and each demonstrated example being long. How does one succinctly address the ECQs while answering 12 questions in an hour?

Thanks in advance for your time and honest feedback.
LameUsername  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 31, 2020 7:25:58 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have no real insight, just speculating here.

I would expect an SES to communicate very quickly and very clearly across a variety of audiences and mediums- their time is precious.
They are "leaders" not "do-ers".
The ones I work with provide very high level input and we are responsible for interpreting and performing accordingly.

Maybe your answers were too detailed? Or maybe they were more about doing rather than leading? I can see that happening if you were trying to demonstrate your ECQs with no room for them to misinterpret.

I would be interested to hear from someone who does have actual insight though.

Edited by user Thursday, December 31, 2020 7:26:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Midwest Fed  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 19, 2021 11:47:15 AM(UTC)
Midwest Fed

United States

Originally Posted by: kannep2 Go to Quoted Post
Recently I was given the opportunity to interview for an SES vacancy. At the onset they told me there were 12 questions. What I did not realize was that there would also be a 1 hour limit. I have no contacts in the SES cadre. My preparation research indicated I needed to be able to speak to my ECQ/MTQ information. In the interview I felt confident I was doing what my research had taught me.

I got through 6 of the 12 structured questions. Needless to say I was not hired. The feedback received spoke to the fact that I did not get through the questions and each demonstrated example being long. How does one succinctly address the ECQs while answering 12 questions in an hour?

Thanks in advance for your time and honest feedback.

Good question. I am in the SES within DHHS and have done enough interviewing. Time structured interviews are rather standard for Senior Executive jobs, with one hour being the time frame. My personal interview consisted of 16 questions, which I got through with about 5 mins to spare. You got through 6 six questions in an hour. On average each answer took 10 mins. You should be able to succinctly answer each question in 3-5 mins. Identify less important questions and bang it out in a couple mins and use additional time for points you really want to drive home. Members of the SES are usually pretty good at taking in a question or piece of information and then responding with an efficient, appropriate response. 10 mins to answer a question is much too long. ECQs are ultimately for the QRB to decide on, not to be addressed intimately at the interview.

kannep2  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 19, 2021 7:01:57 PM(UTC)
kannep2

Woman

Many kind thanks for providing details on how one can successfully master the SES interview process to led to a job offer. I honestly did not think that an interview for that level would be strictly tied to time. Your points are fully taken and will be held to for my next opportunity to interview.

My sincere gratitude to you for taking the time to reply. Best wishes.
Midwest Fed  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 20, 2021 9:59:56 AM(UTC)
Midwest Fed

United States

Originally Posted by: kannep2 Go to Quoted Post

Many kind thanks for providing details on how one can successfully master the SES interview process to led to a job offer. I honestly did not think that an interview for that level would be strictly tied to time. Your points are fully taken and will be held to for my next opportunity to interview.

My sincere gratitude to you for taking the time to reply. Best wishes.

Of course. Anytime. Good luck on your adventure toward SES.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed