Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
eastwest  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2021 9:29:13 AM(UTC)
eastwest

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JessElizabeth Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know if once you have been told you FO location, If you will be set up with people in that area to help with places to live? For example if you are placed somewhere in a large city (LA,NY), for advice on best places to live? I’d love to be in LA (obviously will go wherever) but a city that large knowing where to live would be difficult. Thank you!

I don't have answer for you, but from visiting LA a few times (business/personal), you really don't want to deal with the traffic. Luckily, the main FO there is not in downtown and more towards the west side. Glendale, Pasadena, Santa Monica all seem like good choices. I'm shooting for LA as well so gluck!
Tomato  
#22 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2021 6:25:05 AM(UTC)
Tomato

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks for starting this post, it's definitely very helpful!

Does anyone know if there's a breakdown on what type of work each office deals with? I would imagine the big cities in NY and CA would have everything, but do all the offices have presence from all the disciplines (white collar crime, jttf, wmd, etc..)? I know they try to match you based on your prior experience, but I'm curious if you get to pick what type of work you can do once you get to your office. Or I shouldn't say "pick" the type of work but at least deal with a certain type of cases.

Edited by user Friday, February 12, 2021 6:27:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

eastwest  
#23 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2021 7:54:22 AM(UTC)
eastwest

United States

Originally Posted by: Tomato Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for starting this post, it's definitely very helpful!

Does anyone know if there's a breakdown on what type of work each office deals with? I would imagine the big cities in NY and CA would have everything, but do all the offices have presence from all the disciplines (white collar crime, jttf, wmd, etc..)? I know they try to match you based on your prior experience, but I'm curious if you get to pick what type of work you can do once you get to your office. Or I shouldn't say "pick" the type of work but at least deal with a certain type of cases.

I believe every FO has every crime covered. If it's a small office some agents may cover multiple areas due to lack of activity. I don't think you pick anything when a rook. The larger cities may have rotational programs. Even if your background is in let's say banking, if that's all filled up and there is a dire need for someone elsewhere then you'll prob go there. All based on needs of the agency would probably be the best answer.
kiros  
#24 Posted : Saturday, March 13, 2021 5:39:32 AM(UTC)
kiros

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JessElizabeth Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know if once you have been told you FO location, If you will be set up with people in that area to help with places to live? For example if you are placed somewhere in a large city (LA,NY), for advice on best places to live? I’d love to be in LA (obviously will go wherever) but a city that large knowing where to live would be difficult. Thank you!

There's nothing official, but most of the people you'll interact with will be willing to share their thoughts/opinions if you ask them.

Quote:

Offices/RAs will cover everything. If it's a smaller RA, you will probably be handling whatever comes your way. In larger RAs and the offices, there's squads that handle specific cases.
eastwest  
#25 Posted : Saturday, March 13, 2021 4:42:38 PM(UTC)
eastwest

United States

Anyone have insight into many of the middle america states and how it is to live there? Places like OK, Kansas and such. Really hard for me to rank places not near the coasts since I’ve never been there.
TxShortie88  
#26 Posted : Monday, March 15, 2021 4:25:44 AM(UTC)
TxShortie88

United States

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 50 post(s)
I lived in Moore, Ok (just south of OKC). It's nice town. Slower kind of living, not so fast paced like other big cities. But LOTS of tornados. If you end up moving them MAKE SURE you have a storm shelter.
Can't help ya with Kansas, haven't lived there.

Originally Posted by: eastwest Go to Quoted Post
Anyone have insight into many of the middle america states and how it is to live there? Places like OK, Kansas and such. Really hard for me to rank places not near the coasts since I’ve never been there.

eastwest  
#27 Posted : Monday, March 22, 2021 6:38:21 AM(UTC)
eastwest

United States

Tornados...forgot about those.
pethrwy  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2021 8:14:59 PM(UTC)
pethrwy

does anyone know for non SA/IA positions, are they mainly limited to working at a Field Office or HQ? or can they select resident agencies and satellite sites as well?

I see in the application for a lot of the nationwide positions to list the top 10 Field Offices, but no options to select resident agencies. Does that mean you can select an RA later on in the process or are these positions typically only located at the main field office?
GWPDA  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2021 9:11:37 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 600 time(s) in 492 post(s)
As for where to live in LA - lived in the Valley for nearly 20 years. There's really only one rule now, in a County of 10million people. You MUST live near to where you work. As I recall, Glendale is a hot spot for feds - if you were to live any where near the coast you'd spend two hours or more to get into work. Keep it in mind. According to the FBI website, they have 10 satellite offices - Lancaster, Long Beach, Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), Orange County, Palm Springs, Riverside, Santa Maria, Ventura, Victorville, West Covina. Try not to live more than 30 minutes away from wherever. (Yes, in LA distance is measured by time, not by miles, and by time-on-freeway versus time-on-surface.) You're going to need a map and the sigalert website
(https://www.sigalert.com/map.asp?lat=34.08115&lon=-118.56876&z=2)

Edited by user Wednesday, September 22, 2021 9:37:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed