Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Retirement Planning

Whether you are close to federal employee retirement or just starting out in your career, this is the place to share ideas with your federal colleagues on creating a secure financial foundation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
roger.d  
#21 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2021 1:26:03 PM(UTC)
roger.d

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 972 time(s) in 790 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Wicked cool guy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: roger.d Go to Quoted Post

I had forgotten about the delay in the TSP being notified that you are retired.

Also, if you are married, when you want to change your withdrawal amount or make a 1 time withdrawal, you will need to have the authorization letter signed by your spouse and notarized.

A PIA that can be avoided with some of your retirement outside of the TSP.

Do you have proof of this?

I know someone who closed out their TSP and did not have to do what you stated.

You can read it for yourself on the TSP website.
Those who are, know those who are not.

If you think they are after you, what did you do wrong?
Dazedandconfused  
#22 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2021 5:12:17 PM(UTC)
Dazedandconfused

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Also, if you are married, when you want to change your withdrawal amount or make a 1 time withdrawal, you will need to have the authorization letter signed by your spouse and notarized.

So no.
Life is Sweet

Those who are, know those who aren't

Karma: the force created by a person's action that cause good or bad things
roger.d  
#23 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2021 8:35:57 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

So no.

https://www.tsp.gov/publications/tspbk02.pdf

Keep it up and you will be voted off the island again.

TheRealOrange  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2021 4:03:58 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 167 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Originally Posted by: post office carrier Go to Quoted Post

The rules are different for FERS (spousal consent) and CSRS (spousal notification). From the TSP website:

Spouses’ rights

By law, your spouse has certain rights to your TSP account. These rules apply even if you’re separated from, but still married to, your spouse.

Partial Withdrawals

* If you’re a married FERS or uniformed services participant and you are making a partial withdrawal, your spouse must give written consent on your withdrawal form regardless of your account balance or the amount of your withdrawal. Your spouse’s signature must be notarized.
* If you’re a married CSRS participant and you are making a partial withdrawal, we must notify your spouse in writing regardless of your account balance or the amount of your withdrawal.

Full Withdrawals

If you’re a married FERS or uniformed services participant with a total TSP account balance of more than $3,500 and you are making a full withdrawal, your spouse is entitled by law to a joint life annuity with:

* a 50% survivor benefit,
* level payments, and
* the no cash refund feature.

* If you choose any other withdrawal option or combination of options where your entire account balance is not used to purchase this particular type of annuity, your spouse must sign the statement on your withdrawal form that waives his or her right to that annuity. Your spouse’s signature must be notarized.
* If you are a married CSRS participant with a total TSP account balance of more than $3,500 and you are making a full withdrawal, we must notify your spouse in writing of your withdrawal election.

https://www.tsp.gov/livi...ent/before-you-withdraw/

These rules are why many FERS retirees roll their TSP accounts into an IRA; many more withdrawal options and no need for perhaps numerous spousal consent forms to be notarized. It's the reason I will likely move my TSP account immediately after I retire.
Raoul  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2021 6:06:37 AM(UTC)

Man
United States

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TheRealOrange Go to Quoted Post

The rules are different for FERS (spousal consent) and CSRS (spousal notification). From the TSP website:...

My bad. I'm CSRS and don't know FERS.
This thread has been a good lesson for me that it's time to bow out.
The world is 95% FERS now.

I recall my wife did get a letter from TSP after the fact.

Edited by user Tuesday, January 19, 2021 6:08:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Retired July 2011
GWPDA  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2021 6:13:15 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 557 time(s) in 458 post(s)
I just withdrew -some- of my TSP funds using their website. The next business day I got a call from TSP to confirm that I was and am who I am, that I had no legal obligations to anyone other than myself and confirmed the amount and my bank account. The transfer of funds was complete within four days. Simple. TSP already had a record of my retirement.
Dazedandconfused  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2021 6:36:15 AM(UTC)
Dazedandconfused

United States

Originally Posted by: GWPDA Go to Quoted Post
I just withdrew -some- of my TSP funds using their website. The next business day I got a call from TSP to confirm that I was and am who I am, that I had no legal obligations to anyone other than myself and confirmed the amount and my bank account. The transfer of funds was complete within four days. Simple. TSP already had a record of my retirement.

This is what my friend said

Rogerd is wrong!
Life is Sweet

TheRealOrange  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2021 6:54:19 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Rogerd is wrong!

He's not wrong for married FERS retirees and the TSP. They require the notarized spousal consent form by law. The information is readily available on the TSP website and is reprinted in an earlier post. There have been many discussions on the topic over the years due to it being a big negative for many people in keeping their funds in the TSP. The requirement for notarization was waived early in 2020 due to the pandemic, but spousal consent was still required.

https://www.fedweek.com/...on-withdrawal-decisions/

EDIT: The waiver of the notarization requirement due to the pandemic ended on September 30, 2020. From TSP:

Notarization requirements reinstated as of October 1, 2020 — As of October 1, 2020, TSP forms that require notarized signatures must be signed and notarized. We accept electronic and remote notarization in addition to traditional, in-person notarization. All signatures must be handwritten or made electronically with PIV or CAC credentials.

Earlier this year, we temporarily waived notarization requirements in order to support participants in physical distancing measures during the COVID-19 pandemic. With electronic and remote options in place, we’re reinstating these notarization requirements as an important security measure against attempts at fraud.

https://www.tsp.gov/plan...requirements-reinstated/

Edited by user Tuesday, January 19, 2021 7:43:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Update

Dazedandconfused  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2021 7:48:14 AM(UTC)
Dazedandconfused

United States

Originally Posted by: Your NBA Go to Quoted Post

So no.

Rogerd is wrong!

He's not wrong for married FERS retirees and the TSP. They require the notarized spousal consent form by law. The information is readily available on the TSP website and is reprinted in an earlier post. There have been many discussions on the topic over the years due to it being a big negative for many people in keeping their funds in the TSP. The requirement for notarization was waived early in 2020 due to the pandemic, but spousal consent was still required.

EDIT: The waiver of the notarization requirement due to the pandemic ended on September 30, 2020. From TSP:

Notarization requirements reinstated as of October 1, 2020 — As of October 1, 2020, TSP forms that require notarized signatures must be signed and notarized. We accept electronic and remote notarization in addition to traditional, in-person notarization. All signatures must be handwritten or made electronically with PIV or CAC credentials.

Earlier this year, we temporarily waived notarization requirements in order to support participants in physical distancing measures during the COVID-19 pandemic. With electronic and remote options in place, we’re reinstating these notarization requirements as an important security measure against attempts at fraud.

No where in Rogerd's post did they mention FERS.
Life is Sweet

Dazedandconfused  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2021 7:49:16 AM(UTC)
Dazedandconfused

United States

Keep it up and you will be voted off the island again.

What are you talking about?

I just registered and get this kind of treatment.
Life is Sweet

TheRealOrange  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2021 7:53:37 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

For those of you who like reading legalese, the federal regulation relevant to this topic is reprinted below.

5 CFR § 1650.61 - Spousal rights applicable to post-employment withdrawals.

§ 1650.61 Spousal rights applicable to post-employment withdrawals.

(a) The spousal rights described in this section apply to total post-employment withdrawals when the married participant's vested TSP account balance exceeds $3,500, to partial post-employment withdrawals without regard to the amount of the participant's account balance, and to any change in the amount or frequency of an existing installment payment series, including a change from payments calculated based on life expectancy to payments based on a fixed-dollar amount.

(b) Unless the participant was granted an exception under this subpart to the spousal notification requirement within 90 days of the date the withdrawal request is processed by the TSP, the spouse of a CSRS participant is entitled to notice when the participant applies for a post-employment withdrawal or makes a change to the amount or frequency of an existing installment payment series. The participant must provide the TSP record keeper with the spouse's correct address. The TSP record keeper will send the required notice by first class mail to the spouse at the most recent address provided by the participant.

(c) The spouse of a FERS or uniformed services participant has a right to a joint and survivor annuity with a 50 percent survivor benefit, level payments, and no cash refund based on the participant's entire account balance when the participant elects a total post-employment withdrawal.

(1) The participant may make a different total withdrawal election only if his or her spouse consents to that election and waives the right to this annuity.

(2) A participant's spouse must consent to any partial withdrawal election (other than an election to purchase this type of an annuity with such amount) and waive his or her right to this annuity with respect the amount withdrawn.

(3) A spouse must consent to any change in the amount or frequency of an existing installment payment series and waive his or her right to this annuity with respect to the applicable amount. Spousal consent is not required to stop installment payments.

(4) Unless the TSP granted the participant an exception under this subpart to the spousal notification requirement within 90 days of the date the withdrawal form is processed by the TSP, to show that the spouse has consented to a different total or partial withdrawal election or installment payment change and waived the right to this annuity with respect to the applicable amount, the participant must submit to the TSP record keeper a properly completed withdrawal request form, signed by his or her spouse in the presence of a notary. If the TSP granted the participant an exception to the signature requirement, the participant should enclose a copy of the TSP's approval letter with the withdrawal form.

(5) The spouse's consent and waiver is irrevocable for the applicable withdrawal or installment payment change once the TSP record keeper has received it.
roger.d  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2021 11:25:29 AM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

So no.

Rogerd is wrong!

The discussion now about the TSP, not FERS.

You can apologize at any time.

Dazedandconfused  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2021 12:21:43 PM(UTC)
Dazedandconfused

United States

So no.

Rogerd is wrong!

Can't you read?

there are different rules for taking out ones TSP depending if you are FERS or CSRS!

Life is Sweet

TheRealOrange  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2021 12:34:16 PM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

I think that was probably directed at me. The TSP rules regarding spouses are different for FERS and CSRS retirees. For FERS retirees, the law provides for spousal consent (notarized), but for CSRS retirees, the law provides only for spousal notification.
roger.d  
#35 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2021 4:36:29 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

So no.

Rogerd is wrong!

Can't you read?

there are different rules for taking out ones TSP depending if you are FERS or CSRS!

For someone new to the board, you have a pretty big attitude. Possibly you should re-read the TOS on board conduct.

In your 1st response to my post, you only wanted me to prove what I said was true. I provided you a link. You made no reference that you didn't believe it was a false statement for CSRS.

If you know someone, why are you not sharing it? You are exhibiting the same characteristics as someone that was voted off the island recently.

You are dismissed from further discussion on the subject.

thanks 1 user thanked roger.d for this useful post.
GordonG on 1/19/2021(UTC)
Dazedandconfused  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2021 6:25:59 PM(UTC)
Dazedandconfused

United States

For someone new to the board, you have a pretty big attitude. Possibly you should re-read the TOS on board conduct.

In your 1st response to my post, you only wanted me to prove what I said was true. I provided you a link. You made no reference that you didn't believe it was a false statement for CSRS.

If you know someone, why are you not sharing it? You are exhibiting the same characteristics as someone that was voted off the island recently.

You are dismissed from further discussion on the subject.

So you run the board?

What right do you have to dismiss me?

You seem to believe I am someone else why not report me?

You seem to have a god complex.

Do you treat other posters this way?

Post reported.

Life is Sweet

SD Analyst  
#37 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2021 7:56:59 PM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Was thanked: 427 time(s) in 366 post(s)
Or, pretty much on a whim, OPM "Retirement Services" will be unable to locate part of your employment record and unilaterally cancel your health insurance, without notice. That, however is why there is an IG. I just hate being accused and convicted of fraud because OPM refuses now to accept proof - in the form of the relevant SF50 - that they're wrong. Nothing like doubling down on an error.

This is terrible! I would write the Director, Retirement Services and provide the SF-50s that prove your service time. Your Statement of Prior Federal Service form (SF-144), which is done by the Agency as part of your retirement application, should also prove your service time. The Agency has to certify it.

GWPDA  
#38 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2021 6:35:50 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 557 time(s) in 458 post(s)
Thanks, already done. The problem is that they have misconstrued the regulation, which is presented as a 3-parter - that is, you have your health insurance if
Paragraph 1; Paragraph 2 or Paragraph 3. Instead of reading that semi-colon as 'or', they've combined Para 1 and Para 2 and demanded that both must be so. That's impossible of course, but that's what their 'legal analyst' asserts, meanwhile declaring my first FEHB membership 20 years after its actual occurrence. It's sufficiently screwy and out of the blue that I've now pushed it to the new Acting OPM Director. The funny part is that it was quickly apparent that the staff around the decision knew it was just wrong, by the fervor with which they tried to get me to apply for a 'waiver'. There's a real problem with the good folk over there and I had the misfortune of having a fairly nutty career path which required a little more attention than "worked 25 years, same agency, same location, grade progression, retired at 65". So, we'll see.

Also? 'Your NBA' does seem to be the return of the unwanted. I'm muting it.
thanks 1 user thanked GWPDA for this useful post.
GordonG on 1/23/2021(UTC)
Dazedandconfused  
#39 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2021 6:51:32 AM(UTC)
Dazedandconfused

United States

It is so nice to see everyone believing the lies.

Question is 2 plus 2 still equaling 4?

Life is Sweet

roger.d  
#40 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2021 10:09:25 AM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Thanks, already done. The problem is that they have misconstrued the regulation, which is presented as a 3-parter - that is, you have your health insurance if
Paragraph 1; Paragraph 2 or Paragraph 3. Instead of reading that semi-colon as 'or', they've combined Para 1 and Para 2 and demanded that both must be so. That's impossible of course, but that's what their 'legal analyst' asserts, meanwhile declaring my first FEHB membership 20 years after its actual occurrence. It's sufficiently screwy and out of the blue that I've now pushed it to the new Acting OPM Director. The funny part is that it was quickly apparent that the staff around the decision knew it was just wrong, by the fervor with which they tried to get me to apply for a 'waiver'. There's a real problem with the good folk over there and I had the misfortune of having a fairly nutty career path which required a little more attention than "worked 25 years, same agency, same location, grade progression, retired at 65". So, we'll see.

Have you thought of contacting your US House/Senate members?

Rss Feed  Atom Feed