Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Workers' Compensation

The Office of Workers' Compensation Programs administers four major disability compensation programs which provide wage replacement benefits, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation and other benefits to certain workers or their dependents who experience work-related injury or occupational disease.

Here is a forum for members to share and exchange experiences regarding to workers' compensation related issues.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pink2121  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 5, 2021 7:07:01 AM(UTC)
pink2121

Groups: Registered

I am currently receiving Federal Workmen Compensation benefits and SSD benefits. I am turning 66 next year and my SSD will automatically change over to SS retirement. I know now that my ssd benefit is offset due to the fact that I am receiving workmen comp. If I am still on workers comp when I turn 66, Will my workmen compensation benefit be offset when my SSD changes to regular SS AND IF SO, IS IT THE SAME OFFSET AS WHEN i WAS ON SSD? I am under FERS

Edited by user Tuesday, January 5, 2021 7:42:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GoHuskers  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 5, 2021 11:42:10 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 131 time(s) in 105 post(s)
WC offset only applies to SS Disability benefits. It does not apply to retirement benefits. In fact, depending on how much your SSDI benefits are offset, it could be to your advantage to go ahead and apply for reduced retirement benefits now if the amount of that benefit would be higher than the amount of SSDI payable after offset. You would still remain technically entitled to the SSDI while receiving the retirement benefit. Then, once you do reach your full retirement age, the months of concurrent entitlement to both disability and retirement benefits would be removed from the reduction factor originally used to calculate the retirement benefit, resulting in you receiving an unreduced retirement benefit from the month you attain full retirement age onward.

Also, note that if you were born in 1956, which would be the case if you will be age 66 in 2022, your full retirement age is 66 years and 4 months, not 66 years even.

You should contact an SSA representative to discuss the options (might have to call the 800# if your local SSA office is still not open to the public.)
VW1  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2021 1:04:02 PM(UTC)
VW1

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: pink2121 Go to Quoted Post
I am currently receiving Federal Workmen Compensation benefits and SSD benefits. I am turning 66 next year and my SSD will automatically change over to SS retirement. I know now that my ssd benefit is offset due to the fact that I am receiving workmen comp. If I am still on workers comp when I turn 66, Will my workmen compensation benefit be offset when my SSD changes to regular SS AND IF SO, IS IT THE SAME OFFSET AS WHEN i WAS ON SSD? I am under FERS

If you are still collecting wage loss compensation from OWCP and collecting SS annuity, your OWCP wage loss compensation will be offset by your annuity. The amount of the offset is going to depend on how much of your SS was earned for Federal service. If your entire annuity was earned from Federal service, then the total amount of your annuity will be deducted from your OWCP compensation.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed