Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EagleDog  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 9, 2021 12:13:22 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 311 time(s) in 249 post(s)
:
Karma: the force created by a person's actions that causes good or bad things to happen to that person
:
Window Clerk  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 9, 2021 12:20:10 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Am I reading that correctly where the plan is to go to a MWF or a TuThSat schedule on the window?
Dazedandconfused  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 9, 2021 2:37:08 PM(UTC)
Dazedandconfused

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Do you expect anything else from post master general delay?
Life is Sweet

Those who are, know those who aren't

Karma: the force created by a person's action that cause good or bad things
JustSomeClerk  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2021 5:00:03 PM(UTC)
JustSomeClerk

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Window Clerk Go to Quoted Post
Am I reading that correctly where the plan is to go to a MWF or a TuThSat schedule on the window?

It's not really clear, but it looks to me like they want to reduce the number of hours the window is open, PLUS make us clerks go to a MWF or TUTHS schedule. It makes absolutely NO sense to split a clerk's schedule like that though, and the FTR clerks will buck it every step of the way. Besides there's contractual guarantees for FTR's that this would violate 6 ways to Sunday.

Randy1  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2021 5:50:26 PM(UTC)
Randy1

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JustSomeClerk Go to Quoted Post

It's not really clear, but it looks to me like they want to reduce the number of hours the window is open, PLUS make us clerks go to a MWF or TUTHS schedule. It makes absolutely NO sense to split a clerk's schedule like that though, and the FTR clerks will buck it every step of the way. Besides there's contractual guarantees for FTR's that this would violate 6 ways to Sunday.

APWU contract expires in 7 months... Interesting...

JustSomeClerk  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2021 6:11:11 PM(UTC)
JustSomeClerk

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Randy1 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: JustSomeClerk Go to Quoted Post

APWU contract expires in 7 months... Interesting...

SOSDD The current contract governs us (even after it expires) while new contract negotiations take place.

bobbob1  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2021 6:26:44 PM(UTC)
bobbob1

United States

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 22 post(s)
wait are they gonna try to give FTR split shifts?

lmao, good luck with that
mtnstyne  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2021 11:59:51 AM(UTC)
mtnstyne

Man
United States

Here's how I interpret it. I work a level 18 office. Currently we don't close for lunch. For about a week before congress made the PMG undo everything we started closing for 1 hour for lunch. I expect that to come back.

Second, I don't think they are planning on making FTRs work MWF or TTHS. The way I read it is to adjust the window operating hours so maybe MWF they are open longer and TTHS they are half days or whatever fits. Personally I think it's crazy the hours some offices have while others are barely open long enough to sell a stamp. Today I have been on without a lunch for 7 hours so far because we don't close for lunch and I am alone at the moment. I welcome a chance for a break.

MN Postmaster  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2021 12:46:29 PM(UTC)
MN Postmaster

Man
United States

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 99 post(s)
The USPS is really good at wishful thinking when it comes to cutting hours. Plans like this have been around for decades. The USPS will never get away with reducing services to the degree called for here.
Just because you are paranoid does not mean that they are not out to get you...
PTFPete  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2021 1:23:17 PM(UTC)
PTFPete

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MN Postmaster Go to Quoted Post
The USPS is really good at wishful thinking when it comes to cutting hours. Plans like this have been around for decades. The USPS will never get away with reducing services to the degree called for here.

PostPlan cut hours at thousands of smaller post offices throughout the nation with very little pushback from customers or Congressmen so this isn’t really much of a stretch. As long as community post offices aren’t closed completely customers seem to adapt with very little complaint.
bobbob1  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2021 5:54:25 PM(UTC)
bobbob1

United States

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mtnstyne Go to Quoted Post
Here's how I interpret it. I work a level 18 office. Currently we don't close for lunch. For about a week before congress made the PMG undo everything we started closing for 1 hour for lunch. I expect that to come back.

Second, I don't think they are planning on making FTRs work MWF or TTHS. The way I read it is to adjust the window operating hours so maybe MWF they are open longer and TTHS they are half days or whatever fits. Personally I think it's crazy the hours some offices have while others are barely open long enough to sell a stamp. Today I have been on without a lunch for 7 hours so far because we don't close for lunch and I am alone at the moment. I welcome a chance for a break.

what? close and take a lunch.
MPE2009  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2021 3:56:08 PM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 607 time(s) in 496 post(s)

First of all it's just a power point screen shot. That is simply somebody's attempt to capture as many of the high points as possible to spur the memory of anyone getting the entire presentation. There's probably an accompanying audio track or written text. So this spurs some questions, but there's not a lot of substance to work with. But window opening hours will not correlate to clerk work schedules or hours. That's part of what would have been explained in the audio and/or written text.

There may or may not be much logic, but at the big picture level, there will probably be a little bit.. But when you get down to the local level, the plan hits reality and how well PM's can adjust the ideas. So some ideas will have to be thrown out at the local level or adjusted to fit the local community. So my suggestion is to ignore this power point until we can get the rest of the context. Also remember it has to conform to the contract in regards to job bids and hour guarantees. They can make changes to job and hours, but there's a contractually agreed method of implementing those changes.
thanks 1 user thanked MPE2009 for this useful post.
Dazedandconfused on 2/18/2021(UTC)
EagleDog  
#13 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2021 9:55:46 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: bobbob1 Go to Quoted Post
wait are they gonna try to give FTR split shifts?
lmao, good luck with that

In smaller offices (<100), FTR clerks can be assigned 2 hour lunches.

:
Karma: the force created by a person's actions that causes good or bad things to happen to that person
:
MN Postmaster  
#14 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2021 11:44:05 AM(UTC)
MN Postmaster

Man
United States

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 99 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PTFPete Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: MN Postmaster Go to Quoted Post

PostPlan cut hours at thousands of smaller post offices throughout the nation with very little pushback from customers or Congressmen so this isn’t really much of a stretch. As long as community post offices aren’t closed completely customers seem to adapt with very little complaint.

Stating that there was "very little pushback" from customers and congressmen over PostPlan is not accurate. There were actually lots of problems.
Just because you are paranoid does not mean that they are not out to get you...
Window Clerk  
#15 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2021 12:04:58 PM(UTC)

I like the part of matching the clerk's schedule within 15 minutes of the truck's arrival and then commence sorting within 10 minutes of the truck leaving.

When the morning crew shows up at my office they spend upwards of 1 hour organizing the floor.

Hampers all over the place including being outside in the parking lot.

Empty equipment all over the floor and blocking the dock.

An hour to get it to where you can even begin to start throwing parcels.

It's nuts.

And then on Sundays it's been decreed that there will be a 30% increase in productivity at the snap of a finger.

Got to love it.

$
$
$

Edited by user Thursday, February 18, 2021 12:09:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mtnstyne  
#16 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2021 1:13:36 PM(UTC)
mtnstyne

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: MPE2009 Go to Quoted Post

First of all it's just a power point screen shot. That is simply somebody's attempt to capture as many of the high points as possible to spur the memory of anyone getting the entire presentation. There's probably an accompanying audio track or written text. So this spurs some questions, but there's not a lot of substance to work with. But window opening hours will not correlate to clerk work schedules or hours. That's part of what would have been explained in the audio and/or written text.

There may or may not be much logic, but at the big picture level, there will probably be a little bit.. But when you get down to the local level, the plan hits reality and how well PM's can adjust the ideas. So some ideas will have to be thrown out at the local level or adjusted to fit the local community. So my suggestion is to ignore this power point until we can get the rest of the context. Also remember it has to conform to the contract in regards to job bids and hour guarantees. They can make changes to job and hours, but there's a contractually agreed method of implementing those changes.

How will window hours not correlate to clerk work schedules or hours? I am sure each office has different situations so in some it may not have any impact. I can only explain what I experienced at my location and a few surrounding offices. My office, which does not close for lunch started to close for lunch shortly after the date of this slide in October. It immediately reduced the clerk hours by 5 hours for the week. That equates to roughly 260 hours per year. That's one change in one office and it was implemented, not just theorized. In fact it makes it possible to operate the office with one clerk and not require any overtime. As it currently operates it requires 2 clerks everyday or I get overtime. We have no FTRs, just one PTF.

Our neighboring office that's a level 22 was also required to close for lunch. They usually have 2 clerks on the window at that time so that means less required clerk hours. We constantly get requests in our area for clerks to come just cover lunch breaks at other offices. I would imagine it would reduce this beg, borrow, steal requirement we currently play between offices and reduce overall clerk hours.

Of course these only lasted about a week before congress required the PMG to reverse every decision he made. This entire slide is probably a moot point at this time. Anyway, good discussion.

EagleDog  
#17 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2021 1:33:38 PM(UTC)

This entire slide is probably a moot point at this time.

Question from the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC):

"Please describe any plans or initiatives for reducing hours at post offices in FY 2021 and beyond."

Answer from the USPS (on February 8, 2021):

"The Postal Service is currently examining plans for review of its retail services. The Postal Service will communicate all plans to all stakeholders at the appropriate time."
:
:
craigrh13  
#18 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2021 4:03:51 PM(UTC)
craigrh13

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 139 post(s)
A lot of my customers quiet going to the actual post office and instead now go to the local
Hallmark store. They say the customer service is much better and they get served faster. I don’t blame them one bit. I too use hallmark if I need to do anything.
MPE2009  
#19 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2021 9:54:18 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 607 time(s) in 496 post(s)

How will window hours not correlate to clerk work schedules or hours?

What I'm trying to say is that window hours are different than actual clerk hours, although cutting window hours may affect overall clerk hours. For example, we had a clerk that came in at 4 am to start throwing packages, unloading trucks, etc. When it was time to open the window, that clerk helped staff the window. We had another clerk come in mid-morning, who helped with box mail, maybe some distribution and also worked the window part of the day. AT times ended the days clearing carriers and helping prepare the outgoing mail. So they cut window hours and maybe justify cutting some overall work hours, but there are still contractual obligations to meet. They can change our start times, length of lunch, days off, eliminate clerks even, but it all should be done contractually. But until we know the whole story behind that screen shot of a power point, we're just spinning our wheels.
EagleDog  
#20 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2021 9:56:19 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: craigrh13 Go to Quoted Post
A lot of my customers quiet going to the actual post office

Sadly, the Postal Service becomes less relevant with each passing year.
Amazon delivery vans now dominate my neighborhood each day.

:
:
Rss Feed  Atom Feed