Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
autopilot  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2021 3:11:59 PM(UTC)
autopilot

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi, I am an injured regular clerk who works at letter casing instead of my old job at the machines.
I have been working at letter case for over a year. However, I still have a bid at the machine.
The supervisor at the machine mando'd me on Holiday even though I didn't sign up for Holiday work or ODL.
The reason is she is 'short-staffed' and she mando'd everyone in her section.
But my question is, I do not work at the machine so why mando me?
I work at different section, letter casing, so putting me mando on her section doesn't make sense to me when I do not work there.
Some people are telling me the supervisor can do that because she is short- staffed and I fall in her schedule(because I still have bid in her section).
But even so, I do not work there so why mando me when I can't work there in the first place? No matter how short staffed she is, putting me mando will not help her at all since I don't work there.
Do you think I have a grievance case? The supervisor who did this is an unreasonable person so I will go directly to the union. This happened few days after when I confronted her when she told me I only have 24 hours to give her my prime time as she was handing me a prime time sign-up sheet. I was baffled because the deadline was written on the sheet which was much longer than 24 hours. But she said that because in her words, "You are the last person to give her prime time". When I showed and told her why it has to be 24 hours when it says a certain date on it, she just walked away repeating I'm the last person. I think what happened was she had forgotten to tell me about the prime time and she finally realized it and as she was giving me the paper she said I am the last person to give her prime time. My point is, I am the last person to give her prime time dates because she gave me the prime time sign up sheet last. So how is it my fault I'm the last person to give her my prime time dates when she gave me the paper LAST? Probably weeks after everyone in the section.
I think this whole mando'ing me on holiday could be her trying to mess with me for confronting her with facts and the fact that I didn't comply with her demand for 24-hour deadline which I have no obligation to do so.
roger.d  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2021 4:29:10 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 973 time(s) in 791 post(s)
Originally Posted by: autopilot Go to Quoted Post
Hi, I am an injured regular clerk who works at letter casing instead of my old job at the machines.
I have been working at letter case for over a year. However, I still have a bid at the machine.
The supervisor at the machine mando'd me on Holiday even though I didn't sign up for Holiday work or ODL.
I work at different section, letter casing, so putting me mando on her section doesn't make sense to me when I do not work there.
Some people are telling me the supervisor can do that because she is short- staffed and I fall in her schedule(because I still have bid in her section).
But even so, I do not work there so why mando me when I can't work there in the first place? No matter how short staffed she is, putting me mando will not help her at all since I don't work there.
Do you think I have a grievance case?

S
<snip>

It depends on your LMOU.

Inform you steward. Show up to work and work within your restrictions.

Those who are, know those who are not.

If you think they are after you, what did you do wrong?
bobbob1  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2021 5:22:13 PM(UTC)
bobbob1

United States

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 22 post(s)
***** that call in
MPE2009  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2021 9:02:53 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 607 time(s) in 496 post(s)
Do you think I have a grievance case? The supervisor who did this is an unreasonable person so I will go directly to the union. This happened few days after when I confronted her when she told me I only have 24 hours to give her my prime time as she was handing me a prime time sign-up sheet. I was baffled because the deadline was written on the sheet which was much longer than 24 hours. But she said that because in her words, "You are the last person to give her prime time". When I showed and told her why it has to be 24 hours when it says a certain date on it, she just walked away repeating I'm the last person. I think what happened was she had forgotten to tell me about the prime time and she finally realized it and as she was giving me the paper she said I am the last person to give her prime time. My point is, I am the last person to give her prime time dates because she gave me the prime time sign up sheet last. So how is it my fault I'm the last person to give her my prime time dates when she gave me the paper LAST? Probably weeks after everyone in the section.
I think this whole mando'ing me on holiday could be her trying to mess with me for confronting her with facts and the fact that I didn't comply with her demand for 24-hour deadline which I have no obligation to do so.

Simply put, she is saying she has to bring you in to work the holiday due to your being assigned to her section. As a general rule, if she is forcing in anyone senior to you that is assigned to that section, you have to also be forced in. There may be exemptions in your LMOU. There may be an exemption due to your being incapable of performing your bid job.
Ihatemanagement  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2021 4:22:02 PM(UTC)
Ihatemanagement

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MPE2009 Go to Quoted Post

Simply put, she is saying she has to bring you in to work the holiday due to your being assigned to her section. As a general rule, if she is forcing in anyone senior to you that is assigned to that section, you have to also be forced in. There may be exemptions in your LMOU. There may be an exemption due to your being incapable of performing your bid job.

This. I don’t see how you could possibly have a grievance if your bid job is still in the section the supervisor is mandating you in. If what MPE2009 said is true( people senior to you being mandated) then there’s nothing that can be done. They’d pay more money with the grievance( depending on your seniority in the section) than not accommodating you. Why haven’t you tried to bid out knowing you’re unable to do the job in your section? Technically you’re just holding up a job.
autopilot  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2021 5:05:51 PM(UTC)
autopilot

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ihatemanagement Go to Quoted Post

This. I don’t see how you could possibly have a grievance if your bid job is still in the section the supervisor is mandating you in. If what MPE2009 said is true( people senior to you being mandated) then there’s nothing that can be done. They’d pay more money with the grievance( depending on your seniority in the section) than not accommodating you. Why haven’t you tried to bid out knowing you’re unable to do the job in your section? Technically you’re just holding up a job.

You don't see it because you don't know what you are talking about.
Have you ever been injured on the job?
I tried to bid to jobs that I can do despite the injury but never got the bid. Why do you assume I never did? I bid to at least over 30-40 jobs but just didn't get one.
My point is, I do not work there even though my bid is in that section. So mando'ing me will not help that section being short-staffed. I would be going to the job unnecessarily and for no reason.
Also, OWCP told me I would have to quit the job and opt for vocational rehab, which they are obligated to provide to me. But the USPS agreed with OWCP to accommodate me with a job even though I am on light duty that's why I staying with USPS. It's the management's job to accommodate me with a job within my restriction since they are the ones who offered me to stay on the job.
Ihatemanagement  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2021 6:18:12 AM(UTC)
Ihatemanagement

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)

I tried to bid to jobs that I can do despite the injury but never got the bid. Why do you assume I never did? I bid to at least over 30-40 jobs but just didn't get one.
My point is, I do not work there even though my bid is in that section. So mando'ing me will not help that section being short-staffed. I would be going to the job unnecessarily and for no reason.
Also, OWCP told me I would have to quit the job and opt for vocational rehab, which they are obligated to provide to me. But the USPS agreed with OWCP to accommodate me with a job even though I am on light duty that's why I staying with USPS. It's the management's job to accommodate me with a job within my restriction since they are the ones who offered me to stay on the job.

They accommodated you already. It doesn’t mean they’re not still contractually obligated to mandate you if they’ve mandated those senior to you in the section where your bid job is. Even if you can’t do anything, contractually they have to. This is why I brought up bidding. Bidding out to a section that’s better suited for you would be best but it seems like you may be fairly low on the seniority list if you’ve had 30-40 unsuccessful bids.
Hopefully with the nationwide conversions( and subsequent jobs to be made) you’ll be able to bid and find something more suitable. Best of luck.
Dazedandconfused  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2021 10:45:01 AM(UTC)
Dazedandconfused

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Like post 2 said

Show up and go to your limited duty assignment.

Never ever work outside your restrictions.
Life is Sweet

Those who are, know those who aren't

Karma: the force created by a person's action that cause good or bad things
thanks 2 users thanked Dazedandconfused for this useful post.
Taitai :-] on 2/14/2021(UTC), MPE2009 on 2/15/2021(UTC)
MPE2009  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2021 6:24:54 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 607 time(s) in 496 post(s)

They accommodated you already. It doesn’t mean they’re not still contractually obligated to mandate you if they’ve mandated those senior to you in the section where your bid job is. Even if you can’t do anything, contractually they have to. This is why I brought up bidding. Bidding out to a section that’s better suited for you would be best but it seems like you may be fairly low on the seniority list if you’ve had 30-40 unsuccessful bids.
Hopefully with the nationwide conversions( and subsequent jobs to be made) you’ll be able to bid and find something more suitable. Best of luck.

Dear Autopilot: I don't want to get in a p..s..g contest over what you have or have not done as it is irrelevant contractually to my point. The point I made was if you are part of that section technically, they MAY be obligated to mandatory you in order to mandatory people senior to you. So while you will make no contribution to the unit, those senior that they were able to mandatory above you will hopefully contribute. In the meantime, if you are at work, they are obligated to work you based upon whatever restrictions have been approved through OWCP or DRAC. So maybe the supervisor is unfairly targeting you, maybe he/she is simply doing the job in the way he/she feels is contractually correct without malice.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed