Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SmilesPLC  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2021 10:24:40 AM(UTC)
SmilesPLC

Groups: Registered

I was surprised that my application was referred to hiring officials, although my specialize experience is more than 15 years ago. Is this unusual? Has anyone experienced this situation, and actually hired for the job?

FatHappyCat  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2021 11:35:50 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 118 post(s)
Referred to hiring official only means you passed the automated check that references keywords. It doesn't mean that it'll pass the HR in-person review or the interview selection's criteria.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
SmilesPLC on 2/17/2021(UTC)
TheRealOrange  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2021 12:20:31 PM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 167 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FatHappyCat Go to Quoted Post
Referred to hiring official only means you passed the automated check that references keywords. It doesn't mean that it'll pass the HR in-person review or the interview selection's criteria.

In all of the hiring actions I have been involved with, HR is done with all of their qualification processes before they refer the certificates to the hiring/selecting officials. I have never heard of an HR in-person review of qualifications after a referral, but perhaps it happens. HR experts here may know more about that.
darenhuang  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2021 9:08:09 AM(UTC)

referring to hiring official actually means nothing. I get approximately 1 interview out of every 50-100 referred to hiring official.
frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2021 3:58:50 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1112 time(s) in 884 post(s)
Originally Posted by: darenhuang Go to Quoted Post
referring to hiring official actually means nothing. I get approximately 1 interview out of every 50-100 referred to hiring official.
That referral rate means you need to work on that resume or you are shotgunning applications to jobs you barely qualify for.

I get interviews at least 9 out of 10 applications I make. The few I have not interviewed for, 1 was my mistake (left off a key aspect in my resume), 1 was HR's mistake (and I was referred and interviewed), and 1 was a reach (and I knew it was a long reach, but got referred any way. After all, you don't get 100% of the jobs you don't apply for!).

My base resume will get me referred for almost every opening in my series (and related ones). To get the interview, I tweak it from the base to be more aligned with the announcement (usually just moving some stuff around to highlight specific experience or add in specific results more closely connected to the position. ie if I am a program manager now, and the announcement is for an investigator, I will update my resume to highlight the times I was an investigator).

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rss Feed  Atom Feed