Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mmmoo  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2021 3:50:15 PM(UTC)
Mmmoo

Groups: Registered

Currently going through security clearance for a public trust position requires sf86. Started the process before thanksgiving last year. Contacted my security officer last week and was notified that my investigation is still in process. I do have a dual citizenship, a few foreign contacts with my relatives and friends met in college but eventually moved back to their home. Also long list of travel since my family and I work for the airlines and we get free/cheap tickets. Moved a couple times during college years but all within walking distance. No drugs, alcohol or criminal history.

Just wondering if anyone knows a general timeline because everything from my side (fingerprint, eqip, personal interview, references interviews) was completely in 12/2020. Since it’s not a clearance, is it normal to get stuck at the investigation process due to my background? What is the general wait to get a conditional waiver now?

Thank you.

Edited by user Friday, February 19, 2021 3:55:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FrankJr  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2021 8:32:01 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 118 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mmmoo Go to Quoted Post
Currently going through security clearance for a public trust position requires sf86. Started the process before thanksgiving last year. Contacted my security officer last week and was notified that my investigation is still in process. I do have a dual citizenship, a few foreign contacts with my relatives and friends met in college but eventually moved back to their home. Also long list of travel since my family and I work for the airlines and we get free/cheap tickets. Moved a couple times during college years but all within walking distance. No drugs, alcohol or criminal history.

Just wondering if anyone knows a general timeline because everything from my side (fingerprint, eqip, personal interview, references interviews) was completely in 12/2020. Since it’s not a clearance, is it normal to get stuck at the investigation process due to my background? What is the general wait to get a conditional waiver now?

Thank you.

Be it Public Trust or otherwise, the process is a 3-18 month process. 24 months is a long time but 2-3 months isn't a long time.
Mmmoo  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 19, 2021 8:50:19 PM(UTC)
Mmmoo

Originally Posted by: FrankJr Go to Quoted Post
Be it Public Trust or otherwise, the process is a 3-18 month process. 24 months is a long time but 2-3 months isn't a long time.

Thanks! Saw that many timelines for the same position were conditionally cleared within a month and most within 2 months after the eqip submission, so mine approaching the third month just make me worried a bit, since I’m just trying to get conditionally cleared for now too.
TheUnderverse15  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2021 1:55:07 AM(UTC)
TheUnderverse15

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FrankJr Go to Quoted Post

Thanks! Saw that many timelines for the same position were conditionally cleared within a month and most within 2 months after the eqip submission, so mine approaching the third month just make me worried a bit, since I’m just trying to get conditionally cleared for now too.

Depends on what investigators find and interviewer turns into to the appropriate caf. Assuming they are giving you Tier 3 Public trust, it can take 4-6 months with foreign contacts and dual citizenship in this climate...covid, etc.
Mmmoo  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2021 9:52:49 AM(UTC)
Mmmoo

Originally Posted by: TheUnderverse15 Go to Quoted Post
Depends on what investigators find and interviewer turns into to the appropriate caf. Assuming they are giving you Tier 3 Public trust, it can take 4-6 months with foreign contacts and dual citizenship in this climate...covid, etc.

It should be only tier 2 from what I understand. I’ll try to hold on longer before reaching out again. Thanks so much!
TheUnderverse15  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2021 1:48:00 AM(UTC)
TheUnderverse15

It should be only tier 2 from what I understand. I’ll try to hold on longer before reaching out again. Thanks so much!

Ah Tier 2 MBI. Should be pretty quick.
Mmmoo  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2021 12:40:17 PM(UTC)
Mmmoo

Ah Tier 2 MBI. Should be pretty quick.

That’s my concern that it’s taking longer time than most timelines I see people posted. So just wondering if it’s a regional backlog or my background causes a longer time for investigation. Hoping it’s not some flags dragging the time and disqualifying the conditional waiver.
frankgonzalez  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2021 2:30:07 PM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1112 time(s) in 884 post(s)

Thank you.
I can speak to my experience with dual citizenship. As it was due to being born overseas, but with a US military parent and a foreign national parent, I was a US citizen from birth. This is going to be seen differently than if I went and acquired another citizenship via ancestry (my grandparent was from the other country, or I am Jewish and apply for Israeli citizenship), have I held a passport from the other nation, etc.

In my case, I have only held a US passport, did not ever work for the foreign government (though my mother did work for a member of parliament) and was willing to renounce that citizenship if Uncle Sam requested me to (which they rarely ever do as it raises more issues as the other country now wonders why you are doing so...and that usually means a job with a need for a clearance...and so you become a potential target for intel), etc. Less than 6 months later, I had a TS with SCI. Seems to be the complicated investigations go faster than simple, boring ones (ie lived in the same town their whole life, no tickets, no legal issues, etc). Complicated may mean denial so why not check it out first... (just my guess).

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Mmmoo  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2021 5:10:56 PM(UTC)
Mmmoo

Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
I can speak to my experience with dual citizenship. As it was due to being born overseas, but with a US military parent and a foreign national parent, I was a US citizen from birth. This is going to be seen differently than if I went and acquired another citizenship via ancestry (my grandparent was from the other country, or I am Jewish and apply for Israeli citizenship), have I held a passport from the other nation, etc.

In my case, I have only held a US passport, did not ever work for the foreign government (though my mother did work for a member of parliament) and was willing to renounce that citizenship if Uncle Sam requested me to (which they rarely ever do as it raises more issues as the other country now wonders why you are doing so...and that usually means a job with a need for a clearance...and so you become a potential target for intel), etc. Less than 6 months later, I had a TS with SCI. Seems to be the complicated investigations go faster than simple, boring ones (ie lived in the same town their whole life, no tickets, no legal issues, etc). Complicated may mean denial so why not check it out first... (just my guess).

My dual is actually by birth in another country so maybe that makes things taking longer. I never used the other passport after I naturalized though. I traveled back many times and mainly because plane tickets cost less when I traveled to countries nearby, then I’d visit my grandma since I’m already there. The frequent in and out do make it look like I have a lot of trips though.

I’m the opposite and seeing many people get cleared with a simple background. Only took a week to have an interview scheduled after the eqip submission and investigation in process is the most updated information for the past 2 months. Also mine isn’t a clearance so not much info I could find online for a tier 2 public trust. I just really would want to know which part of the investigation gets stuck on..

Thanks for the input though!

TheUnderverse15  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2021 1:10:24 AM(UTC)
TheUnderverse15

Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post

My dual is actually by birth in another country so maybe that makes things taking longer. I never used the other passport after I naturalized though. I traveled back many times and mainly because plane tickets cost less when I traveled to countries nearby, then I’d visit my grandma since I’m already there. The frequent in and out do make it look like I have a lot of trips though.

I’m the opposite and seeing many people get cleared with a simple background. Only took a week to have an interview scheduled after the eqip submission and investigation in process is the most updated information for the past 2 months. Also mine isn’t a clearance so not much info I could find online for a tier 2 public trust. I just really would want to know which part of the investigation gets stuck on..

Thanks for the input though!

Just finished a person going for Public Trust with dual, took 6 months. That's w CAF employees on telework.
Mmmoo  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2021 4:52:24 PM(UTC)
Mmmoo

Just finished a person going for Public Trust with dual, took 6 months. That's w CAF employees on telework.

I actually did reach out to the investigator who did my subject interview few weeks ago. He said his part was already done so I’ll take it as no news is good news then. At least for now there’s still no denial for a conditional waiver.. yet.
BackGdInvestigator  
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2021 4:54:11 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 86 post(s)
A conditional waiver normally happens early in the process. Having to speak to an investigator for a tier 2 case means you did not get any conditional waiver and will have to wait to start.
*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
Mmmoo  
#13 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2021 5:07:15 AM(UTC)
Mmmoo

Originally Posted by: BackGdInvestigator Go to Quoted Post
A conditional waiver normally happens early in the process. Having to speak to an investigator for a tier 2 case means you did not get any conditional waiver and will have to wait to start.

It’ll suck if they need to do a full one instead, since I’m waiting for the waiver to continue the other process. But I’ve also seen timelines that they were conditionally cleared after an interview with the investigator?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed