Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Yunqi  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2021 11:53:59 AM(UTC)
Yunqi

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi. I received a Conditional Offer for a non-career, Rural Carrier position. Based on my research, I would have to pass different stages of the hiring process before actually being offered the job. So, I am not getting my hopes up yet.

I was hoping some of you could clarify a few things. The information sent me says that the position is Part-time, some weeks I may work 20 hours, others 60. The job would be in Beaufort County, SC. Is there a guaranteed minimum hours per week? How many hours a week do you think I could expect? Is 30 - 35 a week usual?

Assuming I am hired, what is the mileage reimbursement? Any other "benefits" I may not have read about?

I'll be 52 soon, so I don't expect to top out in any capacity after 30 years. But, if I did work 10+ years, what is a reasonable hourly rate to expect? The starting pay was advertised as $19.06. The information I received said $18.56.

Does the USPS have a mandatory retirement age? Could I work until I am 70?

How difficult is it to change positions? For example, after awhile (when I am older) stop being a Carrier and work as a mail sorter or customer service?

Is it difficult to transfer to a different location? For example, move from SC to Florida at some point.

Thank you for any information.

Paul

Dazedandconfused  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2021 12:21:12 PM(UTC)
Dazedandconfused

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Yunqi Go to Quoted Post
Hi. I received a Conditional Offer for a non-career, Rural Carrier position. Based on my research, I would have to pass different stages of the hiring process before actually being offered the job. So, I am not getting my hopes up yet.

I was hoping some of you could clarify a few things. The information sent me says that the position is Part-time, some weeks I may work 20 hours, others 60. The job would be in Beaufort County, SC. Is there a guaranteed minimum hours per week? How many hours a week do you think I could expect? Is 30 - 35 a week usual?

Assuming I am hired, what is the mileage reimbursement? Any other "benefits" I may not have read about?

I'll be 52 soon, so I don't expect to top out in any capacity after 30 years. But, if I did work 10+ years, what is a reasonable hourly rate to expect? The starting pay was advertised as $19.06. The information I received said $18.56.

How difficult is it to change positions? For example, after awhile (when I am older) stop being a Carrier and work as a mail sorter or customer service?

Is it difficult to transfer to a different location? For example, move from SC to Florida at some point.

Paul

To get answers from real rural carriers go here;
https://www.ruralinfo.net/
Life is Sweet

Those who are, know those who aren't

Karma: the force created by a person's action that cause good or bad things
Yunqi  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2021 12:25:10 PM(UTC)
Yunqi

United States

Thanks. Looks like that website has a lot of information. I appreciate it.
MN Postmaster  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2021 1:45:25 PM(UTC)
MN Postmaster

Man
United States

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 99 post(s)
The number of hours a RCA works varies from office to office. In my office they work everyday, sometimes in other offices. In other places RCA's work one day a week. You will get to talk with the postmaster before you are hired. Unless they have changed the rules again. As far as changing jobs you really cannot do that until you are a career employee. If you wanted another position you would more than likely have to compete like everyone else and resign from the RCA position. Good luck.
Just because you are paranoid does not mean that they are not out to get you...
Yukoncarrier24  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2021 2:23:00 PM(UTC)
Yukoncarrier24

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 50 post(s)
There is no way we would know how many hours you might get. There is no guarantee of hours. Expect Post Master to be less than truthful about hours
Yunqi  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2021 4:05:43 PM(UTC)
Yunqi

United States

Originally Posted by: Yukoncarrier24 Go to Quoted Post
There is no way we would know how many hours you might get. There is no guarantee of hours. Expect Post Master to be less than truthful about hours

This is why I probably will not pursue this job. It seems like it would be a great job if you are a regular, full-time carrier though.
Yunqi  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 20, 2021 4:07:10 PM(UTC)
Yunqi

United States

Thanks again for the link. Interesting reading.
EagleDog  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2021 3:47:52 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 311 time(s) in 249 post(s)

More interesting reading here:
https://forum.federalsou...s&t=85064#post942108
:
Karma: the force created by a person's actions that causes good or bad things to happen to that person
:
z165012  
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2021 5:42:29 AM(UTC)
z165012

United States

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Yukoncarrier24 Go to Quoted Post

This is why I probably will not pursue this job. It seems like it would be a great job if you are a regular, full-time carrier though.

things are better when full time for sure, and going from RCA to regular usually isnt a quick process...i know of multiple RCAs that have 10+ years of service and still arent career, but there are always stories of people getting career in under a year on the rural side...

and ive been in offices that you get 2 days a month, and offices where its 6 days a week...

and if you do end up deciding to become an RCA make sure you work in an office where vehicles are provided...if you have to supply your own vehicle and only get 1-2 days a week, you either already need a car with a bench seat or a right hand drive, or it doesnt make any sense...
JAFO  
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2021 8:20:49 AM(UTC)
JAFO

Uzbekistan

After an interview, look at the rural carriers in the office. What are their ages? That will give you an idea of how long it might be before an opening happens.

122intheshade  
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2021 3:49:06 PM(UTC)
122intheshade

Pitcairn
Location: Bankin' off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Was thanked: 638 time(s) in 520 post(s)
RCA and ARC are sucker bets, unless the roof at the station caves in and kills everyone. Takes YEARS, if ever, to be a regular rural carrier.

I live in Phoenix, one of the hottest growth areas in the country. 9 years ago, I was a RCA in a fast-growing suburb. I was 30th in seniority among the RCAs.
Dead last.

In two months, I went from 30 to 20. By six months, I was up to 15. Last man standing of the 15 original hires. BUT . . .

The top RCAs had been there seven years, and the people 10-14 on the list had at least 3 years in. I quit after New Year's 2013, and was one of the first CCAs hired. Made regular in mid-2014.

In the meantime, a few of the long-time RCAs at the other station quit, and a few were converted. Two of the people directly ahead of me got converted a couple years later. This in a city where the population was 26,000 in 2010, and 51,000 in 2020.

If you want to work for the PO, go for CCA. The new agreement gets you career in TWO YEARS.
We decide which is right; and which is an illusion. I've got blisters on me fingers!
Window Clerk  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2021 6:20:31 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dazedandconfused Go to Quoted Post

Paul

Originally Posted by: EagleDog Go to Quoted Post

More interesting reading here:
https://forum.federalsou...s&t=85064#post942108

EagleDog...

That post #7 from the two year old thread. Interesting.

Wonder how many people know of an obscure rural carrier website like that?

One...him.

Looks like he has more usernames in this thread as well.

$
$
$

Edited by user Sunday, February 21, 2021 6:31:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MPE2009  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2021 7:58:26 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 607 time(s) in 496 post(s)

Paul

Simply put: RUN! DO NOT TAKE AN RCA JOB!

Why? It's not career. No guarantee of hours. You're on call and they don't care if you have another job, family, etc.... You're expected to give up your life and simply report at their whim. Again, you're not career and it could take a decade or more to be a regular. It might take less, but you're 52 already and do you want to take that risk? You might be the guy that lucks out, gets 40 plus hours every week and converts before you die of old age. I just think it would be a major mistake. I'd recommend McDonalds, Walmart, Amazon and probably even the corner convenience store before I'd recommend the RCA job, even to my worst enemy. You might be better looking at a PSE, CCA or custodial position if they're available. And if you're talking a large enough facility or office, it could even be worth a commute of an hour or so each way and definitely a safer bet than 99% of RCA jobs.
Yunqi  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2021 4:11:07 PM(UTC)
Yunqi

United States

"You're expected to give up your life and simply report at their whim..."

This about sums up what happened yesterday. Last week after I received the Conditional Offer, I sent an email to the Postmaster to arrange Fingerprinting. I specifically said in the email I was available any Tuesday or Wednesday. That same day, I received a response from the Postmaster asking for photos of my car.

I assumed she saw them Monday morning. Monday afternoon I received an email saying I had an appointment to get fingerprinted at 1:30pm on Thursday the 25th. I responded that I couldn't be there Thursday, but could go on Wednesday, tomorrow as I type this, or next Tuesday or Wednesday.

About an hour later, I received an email saying I could come on Friday at 11am and that she had to get the fingerprints done this week because she would be out of the office for 2 weeks. I responded that I could come in 2 weeks from now.

I haven't heard back. But, did receive another conditional offer for an RCA position closer to my house.

Based on everything I read here, I'll stay where I am unless a regular Post Office position opens up. Which seems like it doesn't happen often. Oh well!!

Thanks for all the information.
JAFO  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2021 7:49:01 PM(UTC)
JAFO

Uzbekistan

It is unfortunate thathe a "premier" company has such ba bad reputation with its employees.
Randy1  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2021 10:08:27 AM(UTC)
Randy1

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JAFO Go to Quoted Post
It is unfortunate thathe a "premier" company has such ba bad reputation with its employees.

YEP..... It's unfortunate that USPS managers have and continue to treat their employees like CRAP.

OP:

IMHO: Full time Rural Carrier is one of the better positions in the USPS. (But you have to endure the RCA phase first)
: Part time RCA is one of the worst positions in the USPS. (Due to low hours and expected to be available at all times)

Rss Feed  Atom Feed