Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

62 Pages«<2728293031>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AZcactus42  
#561 Posted : Tuesday, July 13, 2021 11:19:00 AM(UTC)
AZcactus42

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PopCollector Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: AZcactus42 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: PopCollector Go to Quoted Post
Received a tentative offer last week, submitted on boarding and went through fingerprints. Just waiting on the firm offer. Anyone know if we can request a salary match after signing the firm offer? I was told they would not offer a salary match for the external announcement.

I was given salary match as an external federal (non-irs) applicant. The firm offer had my matched salary. If you are not already a federal employee..I don't think they will match. I could be wrong though.

Did you request it from the HR contact on your tentative offer? That’s who I asked, but wasn’t sure if there is someone else closer to that process. Thanks!

I requested it from my HR contact, but she never responded directly to the request. Then my firm offer had the matched salary on it. I don't think they (IRS HR) can respond about salary match until they confirm with your HR what your current salary is.
sbalto  
#562 Posted : Tuesday, July 13, 2021 3:08:24 PM(UTC)
sbalto

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Riverside Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Foggy Go to Quoted Post
Has any of the new hires received an eqip yet? That's the only thing I haven't done in the onboarding process.

Check your spam folder for EQUIP

SF 85 or 86 for the RO position?

I believe it’s the 85

What about if you never had a security clearance, is equip mandatory, how long does equip take to clear and shouldn't the invites be sent out soon since the start date is 8/16???
scottyd27  
#563 Posted : Tuesday, July 13, 2021 4:26:51 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 324 time(s) in 239 post(s)
Originally Posted by: sbalto Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Riverside Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Foggy Go to Quoted Post
Has any of the new hires received an eqip yet? That's the only thing I haven't done in the onboarding process.

Check your spam folder for EQUIP

SF 85 or 86 for the RO position?

I believe it’s the 85

What about if you never had a security clearance, is equip mandatory, how long does equip take to clear and shouldn't the invites be sent out soon since the start date is 8/16???

You’ll be hired before the equip clears.

Sometime during your training year so security guard masquerading as an investigator will come and ask you questions and complete your background check.
Governmental_Plains  
#564 Posted : Wednesday, July 14, 2021 4:58:21 PM(UTC)
Governmental_Plains

United States

Today I was sent my firm offer letter for the Revenue Officer position. I intend to accept, but I've read here that people have been granted salary matching for this position. I current make $44,500 and am being offered $43,683 ($817 less annually). Is it worth even asking about salary matching? I would like the additional salary, but I don't want to jeopardize my position for $817, especially when I am this close to the finish line.

Thoughts?
brian76  
#565 Posted : Wednesday, July 14, 2021 5:14:39 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
HR sent me a renegotiated offer letter after I rejected the first one. They didn’t increase the salary offered, but changed the location. The location was changed to a location not on my application. Lol.
PwCNYC  
#566 Posted : Wednesday, July 14, 2021 5:29:12 PM(UTC)
PwCNYC

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Did you ask them to change you location? I was told they cannot change your location
brian76  
#567 Posted : Wednesday, July 14, 2021 6:29:33 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PwCNYC Go to Quoted Post
Did you ask them to change you location? I was told they cannot change your location

I put a note in the comments when I declined originally. The bigger thing for me was no salary matching. I work for a state agency and they won’t budge on that one.
sbalto  
#568 Posted : Wednesday, July 14, 2021 8:03:21 PM(UTC)
sbalto

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Governmental_Plains Go to Quoted Post
Today I was sent my firm offer letter for the Revenue Officer position. I intend to accept, but I've read here that people have been granted salary matching for this position. I current make $44,500 and am being offered $43,683 ($817 less annually). Is it worth even asking about salary matching? I would like the additional salary, but I don't want to jeopardize my position for $817, especially when I am this close to the finish line.

Thoughts?

I received my firm offer today too. My thoughts are when we put in for the job, the salary was listed. Is that the pay for grade 7. Maybe you can reach out to the contact person and ask if it is a possibility to match your pay before you make a decision to decline.
ressgonzol  
#569 Posted : Wednesday, July 14, 2021 8:44:46 PM(UTC)
ressgonzol

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 16 post(s)

Thoughts?

In a year you'll jump to GS-9 pay anyway if that matters.
scottyd27  
#570 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2021 2:32:24 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Thoughts?

Is this a serious question? Because the RO job is a serious job?

I hoped that that HCO and management would offer jobs to people with some intellectual curiosity. Because you need that to be an investigator.

$817 huh? Well the 43K is the GS-7 pay. In 12 month you’re promoted to A 9 which is 54k-ish. Then 11 which is about 70 ish.

Assuming your current employer offer you health insurance and retirement you’re likely paying a lot out of pocket for it since the ACA basically destroyed employer sponsored care.

Well the IRS picks up about 70% of your premiums for your entire family if you have them.

Further they match your TSP (govt version of a 401k) 100% up to 5% of your salary. And then you start vesting your pension day one also.

So while you may have $31.42 less per pay check you’re getting t much more and a salary boast in 12 and 24 months.

But my honest opinion is you should reject the job.

Edited by user Thursday, July 15, 2021 3:51:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
OEFVET on 7/15/2021(UTC), YourNeighborsYard on 7/15/2021(UTC), Sunny6815 on 7/15/2021(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#571 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2021 5:26:43 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 77 post(s)

Thoughts?

Ask for it and see what happens. Asking for it won't make them pull an offer.

Scotty pretty much laid it out for you. $800 is literally nothing in the grand scheme especially since you're due for automatic grade increases (if your performance is satisfactory) that are $10k plus each year for the next 2 years. Right out of college I probably thought just like you. 5+ years stuck at the same grade in the feds, I took a leap to lower grade knowing promotion potential was GS-13. And I did it twice when I changed back to the IRS. The temporary loss of income pales into comparison to the money I would have lost if I stayed in that dead end job.
scottyd27  
#572 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2021 5:48:26 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

To harsh?
OEFVET  
#573 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2021 6:30:22 AM(UTC)
OEFVET

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)

Thoughts?

Do you have a Masters? I think you can qualify for GS9 with one. Luckily my HR person asked me and they resent a TO with a GS9 grade after I sent my transcripts in. I was fine either way because I hear you automatically go up a grade level after a year or so.

Edited by user Thursday, July 15, 2021 6:31:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#574 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2021 6:30:31 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 77 post(s)
To harsh?

Lol. I would say not even close to being harsh.
Red  
#575 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2021 8:53:36 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 36 post(s)
You better grab it and not look back.
YourNeighborsYard  
#576 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2021 5:45:56 PM(UTC)
YourNeighborsYard

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Thoughts?

I hoped that that HCO and management would offer jobs to people with some intellectual curiosity. Because you need that to be an investigator.

$817 huh? Well the 43K is the GS-7 pay. In 12 month you’re promoted to A 9 which is 54k-ish. Then 11 which is about 70 ish.

Assuming your current employer offer you health insurance and retirement you’re likely paying a lot out of pocket for it since the ACA basically destroyed employer sponsored care.

Well the IRS picks up about 70% of your premiums for your entire family if you have them.

Further they match your TSP (govt version of a 401k) 100% up to 5% of your salary. And then you start vesting your pension day one also.

So while you may have $31.42 less per pay check you’re getting t much more and a salary boast in 12 and 24 months.

I have a really old school manager—“in my day in the field, we did TFRP on $5”. Maybe this is a person who would do TFRP on $5 without being told to do so…. Leave no stone unturned. Or, this might be a person who leaves a stand-alone TDA with $287 in liability on an 83 year old who has no income besides Social Security and lives in a nursing home in their inventory for 6 months and fights with their manager about why they shouldn’t issue a levy on SS. On second thought, better go ahead and reject the offer OP!
RK  
#577 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2021 10:49:57 PM(UTC)
RK

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
IF WE ACCEPTED A TENTATIVE OFFER FROM ONE LOCATION, DOES IT MEAN OTHER LOCATION IS AUTOMATICALLY DECLINED?
IM HOPING TO GET SAC, CA LOCATION BUT I GOT A TENTATIVE OFFER FROM SOCAL AND THEY ONLY GAVE ME 3 DAYS TO DECIDE..
IDK WHAT TO DO
ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA?
scottyd27  
#578 Posted : Friday, July 16, 2021 3:04:53 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: YourNeighborsYard Go to Quoted Post

Thoughts?

I have a really old school manager—“in my day in the field, we did TFRP on $5”. Maybe this is a person who would do TFRP on $5 without being told to do so…. Leave no stone unturned. Or, this might be a person who leaves a stand-alone TDA with $287 in liability on an 83 year old who has no income besides Social Security and lives in a nursing home in their inventory for 6 months and fights with their manager about why they shouldn’t issue a levy on SS. On second thought, better go ahead and reject the offer OP!

I am an enforcement minded RO. In my opinion my job distills down to ‘collect delinquent taxes and returns.’

But you will hear 10,000 times in unit training and from your OJI/GM, ‘you were hired for your judgement’. Hell there is even a regulation section 1204 that deals directly with employees that exercise judgement in enforcing the tax code.

If you’re an RO you’re a section 1204 employee.

Would I leave an 83 year in a nursing home in my inventory for $300 or levy her Social Security. Probably not. I’d CNC it. Unless the TFRP is over 10K I probably won’t assess it. (Certain conditions may apply). It’s a great tool to hang over someone’s head to get them to pay.

But you are going to use your judgement everyday to do this job.

And frankly someone that complains about $31.42/pay period IMHO doesn’t have good judgment. And isn’t much of a critical thinker.

Your mileage may vary.

Edited by user Friday, July 16, 2021 3:05:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Papoose79  
#579 Posted : Friday, July 16, 2021 5:07:55 AM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 53 post(s)

Thoughts?

Send a request to match your pay along with your current pay stubs and they may match it by giving you additional steps.
Papoose79  
#580 Posted : Friday, July 16, 2021 5:11:34 AM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 53 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RK Go to Quoted Post
IF WE ACCEPTED A TENTATIVE OFFER FROM ONE LOCATION, DOES IT MEAN OTHER LOCATION IS AUTOMATICALLY DECLINED?
IM HOPING TO GET SAC, CA LOCATION BUT I GOT A TENTATIVE OFFER FROM SOCAL AND THEY ONLY GAVE ME 3 DAYS TO DECIDE..
IDK WHAT TO DO
ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA?

No it doesn't automatically disqualify you, but I would just accept it or ask the HR person. They may not be hiring for that location anymore.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed