Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

62 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cartermg99  
#41 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2021 11:09:35 AM(UTC)
Cartermg99

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Anyone have any knowledge on the assessment exams? What to expect and if there is anything we can do to better prepare ourselves?
brian76  
#42 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2021 11:35:11 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cartermg99 Go to Quoted Post
Anyone have any knowledge on the assessment exams? What to expect and if there is anything we can do to better prepare ourselves?

I took it years ago, but the best thing I can recommend is to take the assessments in a quiet space with no distractions. Good luck!
federalgovtjobseeker  
#43 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2021 12:27:57 PM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Originally Posted by: XFed77 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: federalgovtjobseeker Go to Quoted Post
Hello Everyone!

The Revenue Officer announcement for externals has been canceled but they will repost it soon.

This is the email that we're receiving:

"Thank you for your interest in employment with the Internal Revenue Service. We received your application for employment; however, at this time we wish to inform you that the external recruitment for this position has been canceled.

This announcement will be re-posted at which time you will need to reapply for consideration, please look for the following announcement number coming to USAJOBS.gov on Monday, March 01, 2021: 21BRK-SBX0323-1169-07T09."

Sometimes this happens when higher-ups review the announcement after published and find there is something wrong with the language or if they decide to change something and it can't just be amended.

It will set us back 1 week but that's not that much in federal government timeframes. They will probably make up for it so the hiring/training for externals doesn't lag much behind or is on par with the internal hiring. From my previous experience, both receive the same training on the same dates.

If anything changes in the hiring process, it might just be that internals start a pay period before externals but the externals will definitely be in the same training class. As far as hiring is concerned, internals are looked at first in these announcements before externals but with the amount of spots available, there definitely will be external spots available after internal hiring. Good luck!

federalgovtjobseeker, Thanks for your insightful information and to the others who've also contributed on this thread. From my past experience what you're saying is 100% what I remember.

I have a couple of questions for you or the other guys here who've been ROs for a while. As I've said before, I used to be an RO and I'm returning to the IRS after a few years in another agency. I know there might've been changes due to the time that has elapsed since I've been there or because of Covid, maybe RO training will be virtual, as I've seen with other agencies that have been hiring/training in this Covid affected period.

I hope that because the hiring process has just started and it will take a few months, plus Covid seems to be on its way down, we can get in-classroom training like the old days by the time they hire new ROs. I remember it was great training with the RO's helping us in person and relating their war stories.

Questions:

1) Have you heard anything about the RO training being virtual/staying virtual or continuing with the previous practice of in person training at one location accommodating all new RO's from different cities for classroom instruction?

2) Do you know or remember how many weeks of training for the initial RO training phase did the most recent trainees have as to your
knowledge?

*I remember I spent 4 or 5 weeks in another city/stayed at a hotel for RO training phase 1 and met RO's from different cities.
I also remember that there were 3 other phases within the 1st year in which we were also sent to other locations for in person
training.

Thanks for your responses/information/feedback.

Nick

Questions:

1) Have you heard anything about the RO training being virtual/staying virtual or continuing with the previous practice of in person training at one location accommodating all new RO's from different cities for classroom instruction?

The FY19 and FY20 new hires have been trying to have their Unit 4 training in person. Unfortunately, the higher ups have decided no in person training for the rest of the fiscal year. They haven't made any other decisions besides that.

2) Do you know or remember how many weeks of training for the initial RO training phase did the most recent trainees have as to your
knowledge?

There were four units. Unit 1 (2 weeks) Unit 2 (2 weeks) Unit 3 (3 weeks) Unit 4 (2 weeks). 9 weeks total.

Hope this helps!
thanks 1 user thanked federalgovtjobseeker for this useful post.
XFed77 on 3/14/2021(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker  
#44 Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2021 12:30:48 PM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 95 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cartermg99 Go to Quoted Post

Complete it in a quiet place and read the job announcement on what RO's job duties are. When I took the test, writing was a big part of the score. The higher ups want RO's to be able to write and document well. Good luck!
scottyd27  
#45 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2021 8:33:59 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 324 time(s) in 239 post(s)
Hello Everyone!

The Revenue Officer announcement for externals has been canceled but they will repost it soon.

"Thank you for your interest in employment with the Internal Revenue Service. We received your application for employment; however, at this time we wish to inform you that the external recruitment for this position has been canceled.

This announcement will be re-posted at which time you will need to reapply for consideration, please look for the following announcement number coming to USAJOBS.gov on Monday, March 01, 2021: 21BRK-SBX0323-1169-07T09."

Sometimes this happens when higher-ups review the announcement after published and find there is something wrong with the language or if they decide to change something and it can't just be amended.

It will set us back 1 week but that's not that much in federal government timeframes. They will probably make up for it so the hiring/training for externals doesn't lag much behind or is on par with the internal hiring. From my previous experience, both receive the same training on the same dates.

If anything changes in the hiring process, it might just be that internals start a pay period before externals but the externals will definitely be in the same training class. As far as hiring is concerned, internals are looked at first in these announcements before externals but with the amount of spots available, there definitely will be external spots available after internal hiring. Good luck!

federalgovtjobseeker, Thanks for your insightful information and to the others who've also contributed on this thread. From my past experience what you're saying is 100% what I remember.

I have a couple of questions for you or the other guys here who've been ROs for a while. As I've said before, I used to be an RO and I'm returning to the IRS after a few years in another agency. I know there might've been changes due to the time that has elapsed since I've been there or because of Covid, maybe RO training will be virtual, as I've seen with other agencies that have been hiring/training in this Covid affected period.

I hope that because the hiring process has just started and it will take a few months, plus Covid seems to be on its way down, we can get in-classroom training like the old days by the time they hire new ROs. I remember it was great training with the RO's helping us in person and relating their war stories.

Questions:

knowledge?

*I remember I spent 4 or 5 weeks in another city/stayed at a hotel for RO training phase 1 and met RO's from different cities.
I also remember that there were 3 other phases within the 1st year in which we were also sent to other locations for in person
training.

Nick

1. In person training for FY2021 has all been cancelled. Maybe for FY2022.

2 when I went through unit training it was 30 days, 27 days the 14 days away. But that changed with the last new hires.

thanks 1 user thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
XFed77 on 3/11/2021(UTC)
XFed77  
#46 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2021 8:48:42 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post
Hello Everyone!

Questions:

knowledge?

training.

Nick

1. In person training for FY2021 has all been cancelled. Maybe for FY2022.

2 when I went through unit training it was 30 days, 27 days the 14 days away. But that changed with the last new hires.

I appreciate your response, Thanks for sharing this information!

It gives me an updated/realistic idea of what to expect.

Like BD said: "The Times They Are a-Changin"

thanks 1 user thanked XFed77 for this useful post.
@TheBADGUY on 3/12/2021(UTC)
TheCapUniverse  
#47 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2021 12:10:25 PM(UTC)
TheCapUniverse

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Anyone know how long it takes to know if you passed the assessment or what the next steps are afterwards???
teeeeej  
#48 Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2021 6:06:59 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 67 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TheCapUniverse Go to Quoted Post
Anyone know how long it takes to know if you passed the assessment or what the next steps are afterwards???

It's different for every announcement. Hurry up and wait.
thanks 1 user thanked teeeeej for this useful post.
Paul on 3/11/2021(UTC)
scottyd27  
#49 Posted : Friday, March 12, 2021 2:43:02 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

If you want speed Govt service isn’t going to fit you.

Just because things are moving fast doesn’t mean it’ll come to a dead stop.
Northlyn on 12/3/2021(UTC)
NoodleCounter  
#50 Posted : Saturday, March 13, 2021 12:52:31 PM(UTC)
NoodleCounter

United States

It's an average of about 45 days for any job before they get back to you. And if you ever don't advance to the next stage, they'll just ghost you.

So apply then forget. Find another job in the meantime. If they hire you then great, go do that. Otherwise, enjoy your other job.
scottyd27  
#51 Posted : Saturday, March 13, 2021 1:43:24 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

This is a question for experienced Revenue Officers who are posting on this thread. I might know the answer because when I was an RO a long time ago and it was the norm but would like to see if it has changed.

Is there any Overtime for ROs in the office where you work? I know there wasn't when I worked, there was one time I got OT because of a special project but would get Credit Hours for any time over my tour of duty hours.

Thanks for chiming in...

Nick

Don’t I wish. No OT. Just credit time
Spazilton  
#52 Posted : Tuesday, March 16, 2021 5:08:35 PM(UTC)
Spazilton

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Applied for a RO Position in Houston that has 18 openings. Qualified for GS-7 based on Superior Academic Achievement, my bachelor's is in a business pre-law program. CPS-10 Vet with >30% disability rating. Invited to take the ROSA my deadline is tomorrow night taking it tonight, what should I be expecting? My other question is as a CPS vet, do you get placed on the top of the stack in your assigned category or the highest category as the job posting said.

From reading the job announcement it would seem if I pass the assessment exam I would have a very high chance of getting to the interview stage.
scottyd27  
#53 Posted : Wednesday, March 17, 2021 1:59:35 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: Spazilton Go to Quoted Post
Applied for a RO Position in Houston that has 18 openings. Qualified for GS-7 based on Superior Academic Achievement, my bachelor's is in a business pre-law program. CPS-10 Vet with >30% disability rating. Invited to take the ROSA my deadline is tomorrow night taking it tonight, what should I be expecting? My other question is as a CPS vet, do you get placed on the top of the stack in your assigned category or the highest category as the job posting said.

From reading the job announcement it would seem if I pass the assessment exam I would have a very high chance of getting to the interview stage.

As long as you do well on the ROSA which I’m not allowed to tell you about and don’t totally f—k up the interview you will float to the top of all other equally qualified candidates.

I am a CPS-vet. Pretty much what happened to me when I started. That 10 points and 30% or more
Connected is a real advantage in hiring and if you don’t have a lot of seniority you’re the last of your group to be let go..
Spazilton on 3/17/2021(UTC)
scottyd27  
#54 Posted : Wednesday, March 17, 2021 2:02:02 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Also, I’m an IRS certified Veteran Mentor. If/when you’re hired you can request a fellow veteran to help you adapt to and navigate what is the IRS system.

2 if/when you’re hired buy back your military time for pension purposes.

3 there are not enough veterans working at IRS, only 10% or so of the work force. My group/POD has a higher number but 10% is average and much to low.
Spazilton on 3/17/2021(UTC)
Spazilton  
#55 Posted : Wednesday, March 17, 2021 3:18:17 AM(UTC)
Spazilton

United States

Also, I’m an IRS certified Veteran Mentor. If/when you’re hired you can request a fellow veteran to help you adapt to and navigate what is the IRS system.

2 if/when you’re hired buy back your military time for pension purposes.

3 there are not enough veterans working at IRS, only 10% or so of the work force. My group/POD has a higher number but 10% is average and much to low.

Thanks for the info, if hired I will definitely seek out a Veteran Mentor.

I hope this announcement goes better than the last one I applied to for a Customer Service Rep. I believe I was mis-classified as Category B since I was rated as highly qualified but not placed in the top category as a CPS vet. I tried contacting the hiring HR authority about it several times and received no response and I was not referred.

I decided to hold off till today for the ROSA exam, so I could take a bit more time to prepare. I have reviewed all the OPM job duties and skills for the position, the applicable IRS procedures I could find on the internet. Hopefully combined with a good dose of common sense I will do well.
thanks 1 user thanked Spazilton for this useful post.
Paul on 3/17/2021(UTC)
scottyd27  
#56 Posted : Wednesday, March 17, 2021 4:20:10 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Take extra time on the writing go portion of the ROSA
Paul  
#57 Posted : Wednesday, March 17, 2021 10:15:04 AM(UTC)
Paul

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I did the ROSA exam the other day and it took longer than I had expected to complete it.

The only part that I found challenging was the third part, which I personally felt should have provided more time to complete.

Overall it is not difficult :)

Good luck.

Edited by user Wednesday, March 17, 2021 10:18:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

peteyboy123  
#58 Posted : Wednesday, March 17, 2021 1:09:41 PM(UTC)
peteyboy123

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Paul Go to Quoted Post
I did the ROSA exam the other day and it took longer than I had expected to complete it.

The only part that I found challenging was the third part, which I personally felt should have provided more time to complete.

Overall it is not difficult :)

Good luck.

Yes I agree. I rushed through the writing part cause I knew I would be pressed for time then had 5 minutes left at the end and couldn't go back and review my other answers :|
Spazilton  
#59 Posted : Thursday, March 18, 2021 2:20:14 AM(UTC)
Spazilton

United States

Take extra time on the writing go portion of the ROSA

I did very well on this portion as it was basically what I was expecting, I would be surprised if I got more than 1 or 2 incorrect.

The ROSA did make me think carefully about every answer but it wasn't very challenging. I did pass the first part and was invited to take the job skills test, and I believe I did very well on that also.

Here's hoping for a good rating.

Edited by user Thursday, March 18, 2021 9:34:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

goldscca  
#60 Posted : Thursday, March 18, 2021 6:04:37 AM(UTC)
goldscca

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I see a lot of people talking about taking the test already and I was wondering if you are all internal or external. I am a GS-11 Auditor for the TTB and I applied for the GS-9 RO position as a TP Vet. On March 9th I received the email stating that my application was received and that "Based upon your on-line questions responses, your application is suitable for further review". Being as I am a current GS11 federal employee, a veteran, and have a master's degree in Forensic Accounting I thought I would have a good shot, but seeing so many talk about taking the exam already, now Im not sure.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed