Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

46 Pages«<3334353637>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scottyd27  
#681 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2021 11:28:21 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/20/2018(UTC)
Posts: 868
United States

Thanks: 18 times
Was thanked: 284 time(s) in 210 post(s)
Originally Posted by: VolksPrin Go to Quoted Post
For the RO's on the thread: After the year long training how soon can you request a transfer to another location? I accepted the RO position 2 weeks ago in one of the Gulf States locations


After the training year. But you’re not going yo get it.
Papoose79  
#682 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2021 12:26:24 PM(UTC)
Papoose79

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/4/2014(UTC)
Posts: 348
Woman
United States

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 53 post(s)
Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Papoose79 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: VolksPrin Go to Quoted Post
For the RO's on the thread: After the year long training how soon can you request a transfer to another location? I accepted the RO position 2 weeks ago in one of the Gulf States locations


I am a new RO, but not new to the IRS, so I don't know for sure.

I would say maybe a year or 2. I find it easier to just apply in that area next year and you'll probably get picked up faster than requesting a transfer!


The Voluntary Relocation Program requires an "Exceeds Fully Successful" rating (Nobody in training is going to get that), AND you cannot have received a new appointment or have been competitive selected within the past 2 years.

If you are accepting a job somewhere that you don't want to be, you have to be willing to be there for a while.

The good news is that IRS doesn't seem to care when you bounce around positions - I'm on my 3rd position in less than 2 years and I continue to get emails asking if I want to interview for some other thing that I forgot I applied for.


My personal experience with moving in the same position is just applying via the announcement and you WILL get selected unless they don't hire for that area. That's my personal experience. But you are correct about being able to move to different titles as another way as well.
AllHailTheDead0  
#683 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2021 12:52:34 PM(UTC)
AllHailTheDead0

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/29/2021(UTC)
Posts: 25
United States
Location: California

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Finally got a T/O today with a start date of Dec 6th. Honestly didnt expect it since it took so long and I was looking forward to my last semester of classes that will allow me to sit for the CPA exam. Moving from a low cost of living area to a high COL, I am kind of worried since housing/apartment prices are honestly triple what I am paying right now. Was very excited for this position awhile back but really not sure if its going to be manageable to live with such a low starting salary.
PwCNYC  
#684 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2021 12:56:31 PM(UTC)
PwCNYC

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/6/2019(UTC)
Posts: 78
Location: New York

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
When did you interview?
TaxRO  
#685 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2021 1:01:11 PM(UTC)
TaxRO

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/10/2016(UTC)
Posts: 33
United States
Location: PST

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Congrats AllH!

Hopefully you can find some manageable housing to get through the first year. I took a paycut of about 15k when I first took the RO job as a 7, but now I make far more than I did at the old place thanks to journey level and then AJL promotions.

It is tough the first year, but at least the locality pay helps! If we are back in the field the vouchers can be nice for mileage reimbursement if you have a car with good gas mileage.

What area will you be? I heard some OJI selections were made recently that seem to line up with your start date.

Edit to add: If they still have new hires working mainly remotely you may be able to manage to live further away with cheaper housing and just commute the few days at the office.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 27, 2021 1:04:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

AllHailTheDead0  
#686 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2021 1:19:57 PM(UTC)
AllHailTheDead0

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/29/2021(UTC)
Posts: 25
United States
Location: California

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Just doubled checked and I interviewed June 4th, so I guess it really wasnt that long ago. I thought it was May for some reason. Got selected for Camarillo, CA. Currently in the Central Valley so its a bit of a move and a big difference in housing prices. Was really hoping to get a spot in Santa Maria.
Riverside  
#687 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2021 1:41:01 PM(UTC)
Riverside

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/5/2021(UTC)
Posts: 32
Location: Arizona

Thanks: 11 times
Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Biden Considering Mandatory Vaccines for Federal Workers..." Well there goes a third of all federal employees and a third of all IRS new hires down the toilet...if they haven't gotten the vaccine yet they're not going to do it no matter what...
Nick777  
#688 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2021 3:45:38 AM(UTC)
Nick777

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/11/2008(UTC)
Posts: 265

Thanks: 33 times
Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 12 post(s)

Hello Everyone!

The Revenue Officer Announcement 21BRK-SBX0323-1169-07T09 closed yesterday.

I applied last month.

Does anyone know if they're still hiring from this announcement?

Because it seems that most of the hiring has been done already by seeing that many of the forum members have applied from the beginning, and have been interviewed and selected even before it closed.

Anyone know if more applicants are going to be hired from this announcement or should I look forward to the December 2021 Mass Hiring announcement?

Thanks!
scottyd27  
#689 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2021 4:32:01 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/20/2018(UTC)
Posts: 868
United States

Thanks: 18 times
Was thanked: 284 time(s) in 210 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Riverside Go to Quoted Post
"Biden Considering Mandatory Vaccines for Federal Workers..." Well there goes a third of all federal employees and a third of all IRS new hires down the toilet...if they haven't gotten the vaccine yet they're not going to do it no matter what...


This really isn’t a place for political posts:

There are a lot of reasons people haven’t been vaccinated.

I have but my wife hasn’t. She has been having a series of medical procedures and her doctor advised against it.

So we shouldn’t just assume because someone made a medical decision to not get vaccinated makes them have the hoof and mouth disease.

And further, I say so what if 1/3 of the work for quite or retires. Opens up doors for advancement for me.

Edited by user Wednesday, July 28, 2021 4:36:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
Sunny6815 on 7/29/2021(UTC)
scottyd27  
#690 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2021 4:33:03 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/20/2018(UTC)
Posts: 868
United States

Thanks: 18 times
Was thanked: 284 time(s) in 210 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Nick777 Go to Quoted Post

Hello Everyone!

The Revenue Officer Announcement 21BRK-SBX0323-1169-07T09 closed yesterday.

I applied last month.

Does anyone know if they're still hiring from this announcement?

Because it seems that most of the hiring has been done already by seeing that many of the forum members have applied from the beginning, and have been interviewed and selected even before it closed.

Anyone know if more applicants are going to be hired from this announcement or should I look forward to the December 2021 Mass Hiring announcement?

Thanks!


Most of the hiring has not been done.
Yes they are still hiring from that certificate
thanks 2 users thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
Nick777 on 7/28/2021(UTC), luckydevil on 7/29/2021(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#691 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2021 5:04:34 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/28/2014(UTC)
Posts: 502
United States

Thanks: 42 times
Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Riverside Go to Quoted Post
"Biden Considering Mandatory Vaccines for Federal Workers..." Well there goes a third of all federal employees and a third of all IRS new hires down the toilet...if they haven't gotten the vaccine yet they're not going to do it no matter what...


This really isn’t a place for political posts:

There are a lot of reasons people haven’t been vaccinated.

I have but my wife hasn’t. She has been having a series of medical procedures and her doctor advised against it.

So we shouldn’t just assume because someone made a medical decision to not get vaccinated makes them have the hoof and mouth disease.

And further, I say so what if 1/3 of the work for quite or retires. Opens up doors for advancement for me.


It says mandate vaccine OR get regularly tested. And Scotty, you have a damn good point. I'd love a 14 position and if someone is butt hurt, quits or retires, and it opens the door for me to apply.....thank you to them!
thanks 1 user thanked IRSSpecialAgent_1Day for this useful post.
Sunny6815 on 7/29/2021(UTC)
teeeeej  
#692 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2021 9:11:31 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/22/2013(UTC)
Posts: 507

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Riverside Go to Quoted Post
"Biden Considering Mandatory Vaccines for Federal Workers..." Well there goes a third of all federal employees and a third of all IRS new hires down the toilet...if they haven't gotten the vaccine yet they're not going to do it no matter what...


You think 1/3 of the workforce will be voluntarily unemployed? Doubtful.
Marie93  
#693 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2021 11:08:46 AM(UTC)
Marie93

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/30/2018(UTC)
Posts: 141

Thanks: 95 times
Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AllHailTheDead0 Go to Quoted Post
Finally got a T/O today with a start date of Dec 6th. Honestly didnt expect it since it took so long and I was looking forward to my last semester of classes that will allow me to sit for the CPA exam. Moving from a low cost of living area to a high COL, I am kind of worried since housing/apartment prices are honestly triple what I am paying right now. Was very excited for this position awhile back but really not sure if its going to be manageable to live with such a low starting salary.


Double check what the housing prices are along with the locality pay for the area. Maybe kit is more doable than you think.
Papoose79  
#694 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2021 12:09:24 PM(UTC)
Papoose79

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/4/2014(UTC)
Posts: 348
Woman
United States

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 53 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Nick777 Go to Quoted Post

Hello Everyone!

The Revenue Officer Announcement 21BRK-SBX0323-1169-07T09 closed yesterday.

I applied last month.

Does anyone know if they're still hiring from this announcement?

Because it seems that most of the hiring has been done already by seeing that many of the forum members have applied from the beginning, and have been interviewed and selected even before it closed.

Anyone know if more applicants are going to be hired from this announcement or should I look forward to the December 2021 Mass Hiring announcement?

Thanks!


They actually amended it which extended the closing date from March to now. Most of us hired applied early on or internal. If you don't make this cut keep applying till you do, at least that's what I did!

Edited by user Wednesday, July 28, 2021 12:10:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Papoose79 for this useful post.
Nick777 on 7/29/2021(UTC)
Papoose79  
#695 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2021 12:12:16 PM(UTC)
Papoose79

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/4/2014(UTC)
Posts: 348
Woman
United States

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 53 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Riverside Go to Quoted Post
"Biden Considering Mandatory Vaccines for Federal Workers..." Well there goes a third of all federal employees and a third of all IRS new hires down the toilet...if they haven't gotten the vaccine yet they're not going to do it no matter what...


I doubt it! Believe it or not many of us have already gotten it. However only an idiot would quit their job over this issue when they are giving us another option.
thanks 1 user thanked Papoose79 for this useful post.
Nick777 on 7/29/2021(UTC)
COTN_1  
#696 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2021 7:26:44 AM(UTC)
COTN_1

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/28/2021(UTC)
Posts: 1
United States
Location: Wash DC

I would like to first say thank you to everyone who has provided information regarding their process experience. I read every single comment.

I just wanted to see if anyone can advise me on what I should do.

I applied for the RO position in June. After I submitted the application, I took the RO exam. I passed the first exam and took the second exam. I did not receive an email informing me that I failed the exam. A few weeks ago, I checked the status on my USAJOBS profile and saw I was "Ineligible-Lacks Specialized Experience". I emailed them to request an appeal. I have a bachelor's degree and 10 years experience as a police supervisor. HR informed me that my resume did not include job descriptions that align with the job.

It is to my understanding that this position requires some type of investigative skills, in which as a police officer, we perform investigations all the time. Nonetheless, after I sent them more information regarding experience, another HR rep also states that I am ineligible. I sent them my resume again to ensure they had received the correct one because they are either not reading my resume/cover letter or they have the wrong resume. I also requested to receive my scores for the RO exam. I still have yet to hear back from them.

What also bothers me is that if someone passes the RO exam, that should be more than enough proof to show that the applicant poses the ability to perform the work of a RO.
TaxRO  
#697 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2021 9:34:54 AM(UTC)
TaxRO

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/10/2016(UTC)
Posts: 33
United States
Location: PST

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
When I first became an RO my resume was a single page, a lawyer resume. Then after joining the IRS I learned resumes are massive. So try to make youre resume larger and point out things that match the RO job description or standard position description. My resume for promotions beyond GS11 is 5 pages! Im not sure if yours was already long but I did know about that when I applied a an external- luckily I was okay as my small resume still had the spot on experience.
scottyd27  
#698 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2021 10:29:03 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/20/2018(UTC)
Posts: 868
United States

Thanks: 18 times
Was thanked: 284 time(s) in 210 post(s)
Originally Posted by: COTN_1 Go to Quoted Post
I would like to first say thank you to everyone who has provided information regarding their process experience. I read every single comment.

I just wanted to see if anyone can advise me on what I should do.

I applied for the RO position in June. After I submitted the application, I took the RO exam. I passed the first exam and took the second exam. I did not receive an email informing me that I failed the exam. A few weeks ago, I checked the status on my USAJOBS profile and saw I was "Ineligible-Lacks Specialized Experience". I emailed them to request an appeal. I have a bachelor's degree and 10 years experience as a police supervisor. HR informed me that my resume did not include job descriptions that align with the job.

It is to my understanding that this position requires some type of investigative skills, in which as a police officer, we perform investigations all the time. Nonetheless, after I sent them more information regarding experience, another HR rep also states that I am ineligible. I sent them my resume again to ensure they had received the correct one because they are either not reading my resume/cover letter or they have the wrong resume. I also requested to receive my scores for the RO exam. I still have yet to hear back from them.

What also bothers me is that if someone passes the RO exam, that should be more than enough proof to show that the applicant poses the ability to perform the work of a RO.


First, thank you for your service as a police officer. I 100% back the blue. Come from a long line of cops and firefighters.

Sounds like you meet the qualifications. But, there really isn’t a score for the ROSA. It’s pass or fail.

I’m sure you’ll agree there different investigative approaches to different types of malfeasance.

You don’t investigate a DUI the same way you investigate a homicide and you don’t investigate a homicide the same way you investigate financial malfeasance.

Not saying you’re not qualified. To do the job, but there is a difference and I would suggest if you are offered a job you go into it with a blank slate. Because you don’t know what you don’t know.

To your point of the exam. I can give you lists of people that passed the ROSA and go hired that couldn’t investigate the taxes of a hot dog stand appropriately. I know. Once they have truly screwed up the case it’s given to me to fix.

I hope you get hired. But

ScottBailey6  
#699 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2021 6:37:36 PM(UTC)
ScottBailey6

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/29/2021(UTC)
Posts: 3
United States
Location: Phoenix

ScottyD and other experienced RO's,
I am starting on 8/16 with everyone else and I had a couple questions for you.
Do you use a pseudonym?
If so, was it as easy to get as the IRM says, you just have to ask your GM?
If you don't use a pseudonym, why not?
Thanks for your time,
Scott
TaxRO  
#700 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2021 7:24:24 PM(UTC)
TaxRO

Rank: Rookie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/10/2016(UTC)
Posts: 33
United States
Location: PST

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Congrats on the upcoming start date!

I got a pseudonym after I got Grade 12. Seemed more important with harder/bigger cases. I know others that did it fairly fast. For many it depends on your name and how unique it is. But as far as approval, give the nature of the job, the biggest hoop you have to jump through is to choose the name.

Edited for typo

Edited by user Saturday, July 31, 2021 7:26:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Typos

Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
46 Pages«<3334353637>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 0.818 seconds.