Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

59 Pages«<3435363738>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scottyd27  
#701 Posted : Sunday, August 1, 2021 2:57:53 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 299 time(s) in 224 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ScottBailey6 Go to Quoted Post
ScottyD and other experienced RO's,
I am starting on 8/16 with everyone else and I had a couple questions for you.
Do you use a pseudonym?
If so, was it as easy to get as the IRM says, you just have to ask your GM?
If you don't use a pseudonym, why not?
Thanks for your time,
Scott

Yes I use a pseudonym.

It wasn’t hard to get. More annoying than difficult.

I suggest you get it when you start if you want one. That way no one knows you’re real name. I didn’t get one until recently.

I started getting t a lot of PDTs. (Dangerous taxpayers). And my wide asked me to get one.

So I had to switch email addresses, ICS and a bunch of other programs that use your email address. And then there is the wait for your creed and re badging
Papoose79  
#702 Posted : Sunday, August 1, 2021 11:17:09 AM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 53 post(s)
Originally Posted by: COTN_1 Go to Quoted Post
I would like to first say thank you to everyone who has provided information regarding their process experience. I read every single comment.

I just wanted to see if anyone can advise me on what I should do.

I applied for the RO position in June. After I submitted the application, I took the RO exam. I passed the first exam and took the second exam. I did not receive an email informing me that I failed the exam. A few weeks ago, I checked the status on my USAJOBS profile and saw I was "Ineligible-Lacks Specialized Experience". I emailed them to request an appeal. I have a bachelor's degree and 10 years experience as a police supervisor. HR informed me that my resume did not include job descriptions that align with the job.

It is to my understanding that this position requires some type of investigative skills, in which as a police officer, we perform investigations all the time. Nonetheless, after I sent them more information regarding experience, another HR rep also states that I am ineligible. I sent them my resume again to ensure they had received the correct one because they are either not reading my resume/cover letter or they have the wrong resume. I also requested to receive my scores for the RO exam. I still have yet to hear back from them.

What also bothers me is that if someone passes the RO exam, that should be more than enough proof to show that the applicant poses the ability to perform the work of a RO.

Appeal it and be VERY specific with your comparison. Just like you mentioned here but list it. In the beginning of my public service career I learned they use systems that do key word searches on resumes as well. Good Luck and don't give up!
Papoose79  
#703 Posted : Sunday, August 1, 2021 11:20:42 AM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Papoose79 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: VolksPrin Go to Quoted Post
For the RO's on the thread: After the year long training how soon can you request a transfer to another location? I accepted the RO position 2 weeks ago in one of the Gulf States locations

I am a new RO, but not new to the IRS, so I don't know for sure.

I would say maybe a year or 2. I find it easier to just apply in that area next year and you'll probably get picked up faster than requesting a transfer!

The Voluntary Relocation Program requires an "Exceeds Fully Successful" rating (Nobody in training is going to get that), AND you cannot have received a new appointment or have been competitive selected within the past 2 years.

If you are accepting a job somewhere that you don't want to be, you have to be willing to be there for a while.

The good news is that IRS doesn't seem to care when you bounce around positions - I'm on my 3rd position in less than 2 years and I continue to get emails asking if I want to interview for some other thing that I forgot I applied for.

Sorry but you're incorrect! I actually believe that voluntary relocation program is BS anyway! So stop trying to tell me something that I have actually DONE!! For the record I know other IRS people that move by applying to that same titled position to move around.
thanks 1 user thanked Papoose79 for this useful post.
VolksPrin on 8/1/2021(UTC)
scottyd27  
#704 Posted : Sunday, August 1, 2021 2:33:35 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

It’s hard to move on the voluntary relocation programming
Papoose79  
#705 Posted : Sunday, August 1, 2021 2:57:51 PM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post
It’s hard to move on the voluntary relocation programming

That's ALL I was trying to say! It's easier to move via applying to a new announcement. I've done it a few times and so have a few others that I know. I just didn't want anyone to think they'd be stuck!
VolksPrin on 8/1/2021(UTC)
RK  
#706 Posted : Sunday, August 1, 2021 11:15:45 PM(UTC)
RK

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AllHailTheDead0 Go to Quoted Post
Finally got a T/O today with a start date of Dec 6th. Honestly didnt expect it since it took so long and I was looking forward to my last semester of classes that will allow me to sit for the CPA exam. Moving from a low cost of living area to a high COL, I am kind of worried since housing/apartment prices are honestly triple what I am paying right now. Was very excited for this position awhile back but really not sure if its going to be manageable to live with such a low starting salary.

Congrats!! I'm also in SoCal. Laguna! except my starting date was originally 8/16 but got delayed to 8/30..
I wonder what's up with all these different training times...
scottyd27  
#707 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2021 2:44:18 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: RK Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: AllHailTheDead0 Go to Quoted Post
Finally got a T/O today with a start date of Dec 6th. Honestly didnt expect it since it took so long and I was looking forward to my last semester of classes that will allow me to sit for the CPA exam. Moving from a low cost of living area to a high COL, I am kind of worried since housing/apartment prices are honestly triple what I am paying right now. Was very excited for this position awhile back but really not sure if its going to be manageable to live with such a low starting salary.

Congrats!! I'm also in SoCal. Laguna! except my starting date was originally 8/16 but got delayed to 8/30..
I wonder what's up with all these different training times...

What’s up with different training times is that it’s a large hiring.

teeeeej  
#708 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2021 5:51:06 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 61 post(s)
For the RO's on the thread: After the year long training how soon can you request a transfer to another location? I accepted the RO position 2 weeks ago in one of the Gulf States locations

I would say maybe a year or 2. I find it easier to just apply in that area next year and you'll probably get picked up faster than requesting a transfer!

The Voluntary Relocation Program requires an "Exceeds Fully Successful" rating (Nobody in training is going to get that), AND you cannot have received a new appointment or have been competitive selected within the past 2 years.

If you are accepting a job somewhere that you don't want to be, you have to be willing to be there for a while.

The good news is that IRS doesn't seem to care when you bounce around positions - I'm on my 3rd position in less than 2 years and I continue to get emails asking if I want to interview for some other thing that I forgot I applied for.

Sorry but you're incorrect! I actually believe that voluntary relocation program is BS anyway! So stop trying to tell me something that I have actually DONE!! For the record I know other IRS people that move by applying to that same titled position to move around.

Of course you can move around by applying to new vacancies, that wasn't the question. It can be several years in between vacancy announcements.
Papoose79  
#709 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2021 7:33:26 AM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Of course you can move around by applying to new vacancies, that wasn't the question. It can be several years in between vacancy announcements.

It still answered the question. I have applied to the Voluntary Relocation Listing EVERY time it's up and nothing. But as soon as I applied to a new announcement for the same position (btw it has been up at least once a year since I started) I was selected.

But you are also correct about being able to move position to position as well. That's the reason I returned back to IRS!

I just don't want anyone to be discouraged from taking the job thinking they'll be stuck in a POD.
peach21  
#710 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2021 12:45:03 PM(UTC)
peach21

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Looking for some insight.
I'm an external applicant.

I applied to the RO announcement on 5/21/2021.
Invite for Assessments Email: 05/24/2021, took all 3 on on 5/25/2021.
Received ineligible for GS9 7/9/2021 (I have a Masters Degree)
Received met basic qualifications for GS7 email same day 7/9/2021. There was no rating included and my application status on the tracker says "application reviewed".
My question is, should I keep hope alive since I met the basic requirements for GS7, or give up being that I haven't received a phone call for an interview? This is my second time taking the Assessments also, I qualified back in 2018 during the shut down. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Lexipooh  
#711 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2021 1:13:41 PM(UTC)
Lexipooh

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: peach21 Go to Quoted Post

Received met basic qualifications for GS7 email same day 7/9/2021. There was no rating included and my application status on the tracker says "application reviewed".
My question is, should I keep hope alive since I met the basic requirements for GS7, or give up being that I haven't received a phone call for an interview? This is my second time taking the Assessments also, I qualified back in 2018 during the shut down. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have a Masters Degree also and I had the same results. I emailed the address in the job announcement but never received a response. You are not alone...I say remain hopeful and patient, keep applying for other jobs with the agency. I read somewhere that the accounting qualifications are not the determining factor for this job (just what I read) but they want people with investigative experience. Anyway, NEVER GIVE UP!

Edited by user Monday, August 2, 2021 1:15:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Lexipooh for this useful post.
peach21 on 8/2/2021(UTC)
peach21  
#712 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2021 2:24:32 PM(UTC)
peach21

United States

Originally Posted by: Lexipooh Go to Quoted Post

I have a Masters Degree also and I had the same results. I emailed the address in the job announcement but never received a response. You are not alone...I say remain hopeful and patient, keep applying for other jobs with the agency. I read somewhere that the accounting qualifications are not the determining factor for this job (just what I read) but they want people with investigative experience. Anyway, NEVER GIVE UP!

Thank you. My bachelor’s is in Mathematics. I was just wondering since there was no rating, and the application says reviewed. I’ll just wait and pray for the best.
Papoose79  
#713 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2021 2:24:54 PM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Appeal this because the same happened to me. In my appeal I mentioned I took it before and passed therefore something was wrong. They reviewed both test and determined something was wrong with the testing system this time and I had passed. In my case I was already hired internally, and could have given up. So definitely don't give up!
peach21 on 8/2/2021(UTC)
Papoose79  
#714 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2021 2:26:59 PM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Email the person on the email as well.

To be honest I email EVERYONE! 😆
peach21 on 8/2/2021(UTC)
peach21  
#715 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2021 2:48:33 PM(UTC)
peach21

United States

Thanks! Ok, I’ll email first thing in the morning. I was hesitant about emailing because when I did in the past, for another agency, I was told they were still going through apps. Then less than 15 min of me sending the email, I received an inelegible email.
Papoose79  
#716 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2021 3:09:51 PM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Thanks! Ok, I’ll email first thing in the morning. I was hesitant about emailing because when I did in the past, for another agency, I was told they were still going through apps. Then less than 15 min of me sending the email, I received an inelegible email.

I am looking for a copy to post of what I say. Normally if I am appealing a GS grade denial I cut and past from the announcement and then respond how I interpreted it. If it's one I was on before I mention it just in case they overlooked it. It's been a while since I've been denied a GS9 because now I am in my second year as a GS9.
peach21 on 8/2/2021(UTC)
peach21  
#717 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2021 8:00:39 PM(UTC)
peach21

United States

I am looking for a copy to post of what I say. Normally if I am appealing a GS grade denial I cut and past from the announcement and then respond how I interpreted it. If it's one I was on before I mention it just in case they overlooked it. It's been a while since I've been denied a GS9 because now I am in my second year as a GS9.

That’s awesome! Congratulations and I hope to join soon. If you find your email verbiage, please let me know. I appreciate your help.

I’m not too worried about the GS9 ineligibility, (I will still follow up on it) but more so why I didn’t receive a rating/score for the GS7 but got this email. This was the last communication that I received on July 9th.

“ Announcement: 21BRK-SBX0323-1169-07T09
Position: REVENUE OFFICER
Series: 1169 Grade: 07

Your application for the above position was received and processed in accordance with the Merit Promotion Program procedures. Based upon your application, we are pleased to inform you that you have met the basic qualification requirements for the occupation and grade level indicated.

What to Expect Next:
You will be receiving correspondence via e-mail, informing you of the next step in the application process.”
Papoose79  
#718 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2021 9:38:08 PM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

That’s awesome! Congratulations and I hope to join soon. If you find your email verbiage, please let me know. I appreciate your help.

I’m not too worried about the GS9 ineligibility, (I will still follow up on it) but more so why I didn’t receive a rating/score for the GS7 but got this email. This was the last communication that I received on July 9th.

Your application for the above position was received and processed in accordance with the Merit Promotion Program procedures. Based upon your application, we are pleased to inform you that you have met the basic qualification requirements for the occupation and grade level indicated.

What to Expect Next:
You will be receiving correspondence via e-mail, informing you of the next step in the application process.”

That's the standard you made the cut email, so you'll be fine.

I have to log into my personal laptop to find that appeal email because I can't do it from this small phone!
Papoose79  
#719 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2021 9:52:43 PM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

I PM-ed you my sample appeal email this was all I asked for the RO Test that was determined to have been mistakenly failed:

"Subject: Re: IRS INELIGIBLE FAILED ROSA ASSESSMENT

Good Afternoon,

It's my understanding that I failed this test and I would like to know how can I get the information to compare this assessment with the one I took prior and passed?

The test has not changed and I have taken it at least twice and never failed it.

Please advise!"

The big heads actually responded and pulled all tests I've ever taken! They apologize and said there was something wrong in the grading at the testing site because my answers on all test hadn't change by much.
scottyd27  
#720 Posted : Tuesday, August 3, 2021 5:13:08 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Just going to add my .02 here on the GS ratings.

While know money is a concern for people, I wouldn’t focus to much on the GS rating.

If you come in as a 9 you will be promoted to journey level 11 after the training year.

As a journey level RO you are expected to perform at journey level standards.

I’ve said it before. The hardest year in this job will be year 2.

You will no longer have an OJI to help you. And you won’t know everything you need to know. And it can be frustrating.

If you come in as a 7 you have that extra year where you’re not journey level. And you will likely get a little additional help.

Just my .02. Your mileage may vary.

What to Expect Next:

thanks 1 user thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
peach21 on 8/3/2021(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed