Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

60 Pages«<4041424344>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
makingadifference  
#821 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2021 2:00:08 PM(UTC)
makingadifference

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: peach21 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: makingadifference Go to Quoted Post
Second wave and I was just contacted for an interview date.

Would you mind sharing how long after receiving the BQ email for 2nd wave, were you contacted for an interview? I received mine on the 5th and I haven’t heard anything. Maybe I missed out this time.

I received my BQ email on the 12th. So it was exactly two weeks from email to contact about an interview.
thanks 1 user thanked makingadifference for this useful post.
peach21 on 8/30/2021(UTC)
OEFVET  
#822 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2021 3:40:48 AM(UTC)
OEFVET

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: AllHailTheDead0 Go to Quoted Post
I was looking through this thread and saw another RO say that they only worked in the field once a week as well and the other 4 days they worked from home. That's actually not too bad at all. So basically you only needed to go out in the field once a week or what did a normal week look like pre covid? I asked HR if it was still possible to accept my FO with a start date of Dec 6th and they said yes. Might be able to make the long distance thing work for the first few months if everything is online to start and then travel is only needed once a week. What do you do when you are working from home those 4 days? Just examine taxpayer data and plan your schedule?

I also heard they when things were in person that they would send you to one of 7 locations for training? Is that still a thing or would in person training be entirely from your POD.

They had change the in-person training a bit for the last hires in 2019.

But yes you would go to one of the service centers for classroom instructions. That is currently being delivered virtually right now.

Pre-covid, I was in the field an average of two days a week.

The other days I conduct case analysis worked on my cases in progress attended meetings via Skype, etc same stuff you’d do in the office.

Like I said your classroom is being delivered virtually right now. They said they were going to change it next fiscal year. Like I said I don’t have any particular knowledge of it but I don’t see it happening until sometime 2nd quarter of next year.

You On The Job Instruction is going to be delivered virtually at this time.

They keep telling us they are planning to return to the field but again I doubt it until some time next year. But I don’t have any specific information.

We are still operating under an evacuation order and everyone is on Max-telework.

I know OJI will be… or should be an actual person training us, but for the classroom portion, will that also be an actual person. I heard the training is intense and the thought of virtual training all the way until
March (my training schedule) makes me nervous.
scottyd27  
#823 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2021 4:22:48 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 301 time(s) in 226 post(s)
Originally Posted by: OEFVET Go to Quoted Post
I was looking through this thread and saw another RO say that they only worked in the field once a week as well and the other 4 days they worked from home. That's actually not too bad at all. So basically you only needed to go out in the field once a week or what did a normal week look like pre covid? I asked HR if it was still possible to accept my FO with a start date of Dec 6th and they said yes. Might be able to make the long distance thing work for the first few months if everything is online to start and then travel is only needed once a week. What do you do when you are working from home those 4 days? Just examine taxpayer data and plan your schedule?

I also heard they when things were in person that they would send you to one of 7 locations for training? Is that still a thing or would in person training be entirely from your POD.

But yes you would go to one of the service centers for classroom instructions. That is currently being delivered virtually right now.

The other days I conduct case analysis worked on my cases in progress attended meetings via Skype, etc same stuff you’d do in the office.

Like I said your classroom is being delivered virtually right now. They said they were going to change it next fiscal year. Like I said I don’t have any particular knowledge of it but I don’t see it happening until sometime 2nd quarter of next year.

They keep telling us they are planning to return to the field but again I doubt it until some time next year. But I don’t have any specific information.

We are still operating under an evacuation order and everyone is on Max-telework.

I know OJI will be… or should be an actual person training us, but for the classroom portion, will that also be an actual person. I heard the training is intense and the thought of virtual training all the way until

Right now at this moment all training is virtual.

OJT and Classroom.

I’m not sure how intense it’s going to be.

I found the classroom portion the most difficult when I was a trainee. But I’m a doer not a classroom sitter.

And while the classroom stuff is esstential, you learn to be an RO by doing it
AZcactus42  
#824 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2021 10:19:41 PM(UTC)
AZcactus42

United States

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 16 post(s)

I am going into my 3rd week of training. Everything is completely virtual. You will receive a laptop, printer...and bunch of other stuff to prepare you for training. Only time I have had to go into the office was to process my smart card (PIV), and to meet my manager for a quick tour and some paperwork that had to be done in person.

Edited by user Saturday, August 28, 2021 10:20:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked AZcactus42 for this useful post.
Riverside on 8/28/2021(UTC)
Riverside  
#825 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2021 11:06:24 PM(UTC)
Riverside

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AZcactus42 Go to Quoted Post

I am going into my 3rd week of training. Everything is completely virtual. You will receive a laptop, printer...and bunch of other stuff to prepare you for training. Only time I have had to go into the office was to process my smart card (PIV), and to meet my manager for a quick tour and some paperwork that had to be done in person.

Trying to be objective how do you rate the intensity of the training so far (ie. manageable/overwhelming/high intensity/relaxed, etc...)? Do you have to study after hours like nights and weekends? Thanks!
AZcactus42  
#826 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2021 11:19:03 PM(UTC)
AZcactus42

United States

Trying to be objective how do you rate the intensity of the training so far (ie. manageable/overwhelming/high intensity/relaxed, etc...)? Do you have to study after hours like nights and weekends? Thanks!

It will vary from person to person depending on learning style, etc. It is not overwhelming so far for me. No weekend or night studying. They seem to give you info and learning material in an overview form first...then you dive deeper into things with your OJI and learn more hands on where you can use the actual systems you will use as a RO to learn things. Definitely a ton of info to learn..but they give you plenty of time to do it.
thanks 1 user thanked AZcactus42 for this useful post.
Riverside on 8/28/2021(UTC)
Riverside  
#827 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2021 11:38:04 PM(UTC)
Riverside

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

It will vary from person to person depending on learning style, etc. It is not overwhelming so far for me. No weekend or night studying. They seem to give you info and learning material in an overview form first...then you dive deeper into things with your OJI and learn more hands on where you can use the actual systems you will use as a RO to learn things. Definitely a ton of info to learn..but they give you plenty of time to do it.

Thank you! Are you virtually learning nonstop from 8-4:30?
AZcactus42  
#828 Posted : Saturday, August 28, 2021 11:40:56 PM(UTC)
AZcactus42

United States

Originally Posted by: Riverside Go to Quoted Post

Thank you! Are you virtually learning nonstop from 8-4:30?

No. Feel free to PM me with further questions.
Cabiria  
#829 Posted : Tuesday, August 31, 2021 8:51:25 AM(UTC)
Cabiria

United States

I’m just writing to add that RO training is not entirely virtual for all RO’s. I have to report to my POD once per week to work with my OJI. It’s very helpful.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 31, 2021 8:53:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Roxy1  
#830 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2021 4:05:37 PM(UTC)
Roxy1

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cabiria Go to Quoted Post
I’m just writing to add that RO training is not entirely virtual for all RO’s. I have to report to my POD once per week to work with my OJI. It’s very helpful.

You are obligated to report or reporting on your own? Due to COVID mandated issues is why the training is virtual is what was said but things are starting to open.
Cabiria  
#831 Posted : Wednesday, September 1, 2021 6:02:14 PM(UTC)
Cabiria

United States

I was told to come in weekly and didn’t question the request because I saw the purpose behind it.
scottyd27  
#832 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2021 4:28:25 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 301 time(s) in 226 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cabiria Go to Quoted Post
I was told to come in weekly and didn’t question the request because I saw the purpose behind it.

Then that is a local decision.

I think it’s a good decision. But it’s being made locally.
MJE  
#833 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2021 9:43:04 PM(UTC)
MJE

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Well this was a lot to read. Thanks to everyone that contributed. It seems that you're pretty much in if you receive a TO and get fingerprinted. That happened for me this week. It really sticks out to me how long these things take.

My 2021 Timeline:

MAR - Application

MAY - ROSA

AUG (Beginning) - Referred

AUG (Mid) - Interview

AUG (EOM) - TO & Fingerprint

The interview also got me, I swear I was on the phone for barely 20 mins and that was it. Had all three of my location choices offer at a GS9 and was asked to pick one. TO had a start date of DEC. We'll see what happens next.

Edited by user Thursday, September 2, 2021 9:44:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked MJE for this useful post.
KWGA18 on 9/9/2021(UTC)
ScottieDutch  
#834 Posted : Friday, September 3, 2021 6:35:23 PM(UTC)
ScottieDutch

United States

Originally Posted by: Roxy1 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ScottieDutch Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ScottieDutch Go to Quoted Post
Got a firm offer for my #1 POD! Start date is 9/27.

What POD.

A POD in Michigan.

When did you apply for position? I interviewed for a Michigan pod and my out of state pod hired. Was told I can still be offered position for another pod.

I applied early March.
I initially interviewed with a Michigan POD, and received an offer between two different Michigan PODs of my choice (and chose my #1 pick obviously).
makingadifference  
#835 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2021 11:53:06 AM(UTC)
makingadifference

United States

Conducted my interview early last week. Now time for the agonizing wait to see if I get a TO.
Jade620  
#836 Posted : Tuesday, September 7, 2021 1:42:46 PM(UTC)
Jade620

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Good luck makingadifference,

At least you have made it this far and I am sure you will get it. Those of us like myself applied before the last close 7/27 are still waiting to hear or read anything at all and it is at the 6-7 week mark from then. So you've come quite a ways comparably. However, the wait is something serious but you are just about at the finish line. Continued luck to you.

Edited by user Tuesday, September 7, 2021 1:43:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

thanks 1 user thanked Jade620 for this useful post.
makingadifference on 9/8/2021(UTC)
ARW2019  
#837 Posted : Wednesday, September 8, 2021 4:47:31 AM(UTC)
ARW2019

MJE, have you received a FO? I’ve been finger printed but not sure how it takes to receive a FO.
luckydevil  
#838 Posted : Wednesday, September 8, 2021 11:07:32 AM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 129 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jade620 Go to Quoted Post

At least you have made it this far and I am sure you will get it. Those of us like myself applied before the last close 7/27 are still waiting to hear or read anything at all and it is at the 6-7 week mark from then. So you've come quite a ways comparably. However, the wait is something serious but you are just about at the finish line. Continued luck to you.

Right there with you. I applied late around 7/15 and waiting to hear something. I am hoping there are still spots left in Az. Best of luck to all!
thanks 1 user thanked luckydevil for this useful post.
Jade620 on 9/8/2021(UTC)
makingadifference  
#839 Posted : Wednesday, September 8, 2021 12:14:58 PM(UTC)
makingadifference

United States

Well, I just got my TO today. I guess I did better on the phone interview than I thought! My timeline looks like this so far:

Applied: April
ROSA: May
Received not best qualified email (apparently this was for GS-9 and not GS-7): June
Received BQ email for second wave: August
Interview: August
TO: September
thanks 2 users thanked makingadifference for this useful post.
Jade620 on 9/8/2021(UTC), Lexipooh on 9/8/2021(UTC)
Jade620  
#840 Posted : Wednesday, September 8, 2021 12:26:54 PM(UTC)
Jade620

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: luckydevil Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Jade620 Go to Quoted Post

Right there with you. I applied late around 7/15 and waiting to hear something. I am hoping there are still spots left in Az. Best of luck to all!

Yes- it is such a long, exciting process to say the least. I have done it before in 2019 and interviewed but could not accept at the time, so I am starting over. Best to all and I hope we 'Johnnys come lately' (Those of us who applied at the end) read something soon and get in a spot. I am in the Midwest and we seem to always be last or near the tail end getting in. I read someplace, I thought, that they are going by POD so who knows how long it will be. Also 2 other posts expired so they are filling those as well while on-boarding. HR has their work cut out for them for sure. So we just wait and try to pass time best we can. Best to all
thanks 2 users thanked Jade620 for this useful post.
Lexipooh on 9/8/2021(UTC), luckydevil on 9/8/2021(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed