Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

61 Pages«<4546474849>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
makingadifference  
#921 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2021 5:24:40 PM(UTC)
makingadifference

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 11 post(s)
My TO didn't have any type of tentative start date and I finished all my tasks. My interviewer said they were looking to starting me sometime in October, so that is all I have to go on. It would be nice to get a firm date, so I can start apartment hunting since I have to move. Luckily for me it's not a huge move (same state and five hours away). I already told my current agency that I might be leaving soon and they are cool with it. They will allow me to take leave to do whatever I need to, so that is good.
MJE  
#922 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2021 7:29:38 PM(UTC)
MJE

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Rick11772 Go to Quoted Post
Still waiting on FO got TO on 09/10 any idea how long it usually takes? Need to move across state lines so have to look for an apartment. They gave me a tentative start date of 12/06 which is not a lot of time

I’m an outside hire. TO EOM AUG with same tentative start date as you.. Did fingerprinting already and still no FO.
AllHailTheDead0  
#923 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2021 9:01:08 PM(UTC)
AllHailTheDead0

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Riverside Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post
Newbies, applicants: Buyer beware on the RO job...seems like a grind and a half and major stress 2 months in, with 3-5 years to even get somewhat comfortable in the job.... if that's your shtick, have at it. Red tape and bureaucracy galore to stress levels unimaginable...have at it! Better working at the grocery store for $18/hour and having a life.

That’s not my experience.

nice you got in before the pandemic experience. I believe the virtual "academy" is a disaster since OJI and field work is non-existent. Just IMHO...

need more details. Having a life? So are you working more than 40hrs a week or are you just having a hard time learning?
scottyd27  
#924 Posted : Friday, October 1, 2021 3:05:36 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 306 time(s) in 228 post(s)
Newbies, applicants: Buyer beware on the RO job...seems like a grind and a half and major stress 2 months in, with 3-5 years to even get somewhat comfortable in the job.... if that's your shtick, have at it. Red tape and bureaucracy galore to stress levels unimaginable...have at it! Better working at the grocery store for $18/hour and having a life.

nice you got in before the pandemic experience. I believe the virtual "academy" is a disaster since OJI and field work is non-existent. Just IMHO...

I have a pretty good life.

No weekends, no holidays. Bankers hours.

If you know how to manage your calendar like an adult you have no problem.

Field work isn’t happening but it will.

Have to be adaptable at any job.

And I make way more than $18 an hour.

That said. Maybe this job isn’t for you. Best to know it now.

Edited by user Friday, October 1, 2021 3:06:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

scottyd27  
#925 Posted : Friday, October 1, 2021 3:30:19 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

There isn’t anyone that has been tasked with training RO trainees (ROT) that is 100% happy with how we are having to train The ROTs.

I’d much rather be in person/in the field. But right now that’s not the world we live in.

I suspect field visits and in person training will start up next year. But right now we improvise adapt and over come.
thanks 1 user thanked scottyd27 for this useful post.
Lexipooh on 10/1/2021(UTC)
Grace*3  
#926 Posted : Friday, October 1, 2021 4:05:30 AM(UTC)
Grace*3

United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 18 post(s)
There isn’t anyone that has been tasked with training RO trainees (ROT) that is 100% happy with how we are having to train The ROTs.

I’d much rather be in person/in the field. But right now that’s not the world we live in.

I suspect field visits and in person training will start up next year. But right now we improvise adapt and over come.

I really enjoy reading your responses.
scottyd27  
#927 Posted : Friday, October 1, 2021 4:41:27 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Thank you
peteyboy123  
#928 Posted : Friday, October 1, 2021 6:09:58 AM(UTC)
peteyboy123

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Grace*3 Go to Quoted Post

I really enjoy reading your responses.

I second this.
MJE  
#929 Posted : Friday, October 1, 2021 3:44:27 PM(UTC)
MJE

United States

Hey guys...just trying to be real and not sugar coat it all. Top it off, all feds HAVE to be vaxxed so if you have any reservation against this you're gonna get fired/not hired anyway (last I heard 25% is opposed to forced vaccine mandate). Just giving you all a different, albeit more negative reality check (sorry but downers are part of life), so don't jump down my throat and call me names for having an honest opinion. Not all opinions are pie in the sky. And yes, I will stay/leave the job as I choose...thx. I don't bow down and take the knee to guys with a few years in on this board that talk arrogant, smug $#!& all the time about how brilliant and "tough" they are, and condescend to everyone that doesn't blow smoke up their pie hole...enjoy your day!

So…why do you not like it? What are the challenges you are facing? What do you recommend for people coming into it? You haven’t provided your reasoning. Not jumping down your throat, just looking for more clarity.
Rick11772  
#930 Posted : Friday, October 1, 2021 4:54:57 PM(UTC)
Rick11772

United States

Originally Posted by: AllHailTheDead0 Go to Quoted Post

need more details. Having a life? So are you working more than 40hrs a week or are you just having a hard time learning?

Hey guys...just trying to be real and not sugar coat it all. Top it off, all feds HAVE to be vaxxed so if you have any reservation against this you're gonna get fired/not hired anyway (last I heard 25% is opposed to forced vaccine mandate). Just giving you all a different, albeit more negative reality check (sorry but downers are part of life), so don't jump down my throat and call me names for having an honest opinion. Not all opinions are pie in the sky. And yes, I will stay/leave the job as I choose...thx. I don't bow down and take the knee to guys with a few years in on this board that talk arrogant, smug $#!& all the time about how brilliant and "tough" they are, and condescend to everyone that doesn't blow smoke up their pie hole...enjoy your day!

That is a good point, it is a requirement to get vaccinated by a certain date, unsure if i am able to share what that date is. If you are against getting vaccinated it might be wise to let the hiring official know if there is any reason for your inability to get vaccinated.
Rick11772  
#931 Posted : Friday, October 1, 2021 5:49:47 PM(UTC)
Rick11772

United States

Everything is very crazy right now and it's all going to be different for a bit as we adjust to some new societal norms. I'm looking forward to starting as an RO as long as I get my firm offer. I do like working for the IRS.
jeff_bates85  
#932 Posted : Friday, October 1, 2021 7:07:03 PM(UTC)
jeff_bates85

United States

Wow, lots of craziness in here tonight. I’m just a recent applicant wondering, on average, what percentage of applicants who get a phone interview end up getting a FO. Like, do most people that make it this far end up receiving an offer? I could see the IRS being insanely picky about who they hire, but I keep reading about how they’re having trouble competing with the private sector. So, IDK. And if anyone wouldn’t mind telling me how long it was after their phone interview before the next contact, that would be killer!
AllHailTheDead0  
#933 Posted : Friday, October 1, 2021 7:10:21 PM(UTC)
AllHailTheDead0

United States

Originally Posted by: MJE Go to Quoted Post

So…why do you not like it? What are the challenges you are facing? What do you recommend for people coming into it? You haven’t provided your reasoning. Not jumping down your throat, just looking for more clarity.

The one year training period being virtual is a total bust for one (nobody is handling it too well that I know at least, and it creates huge impediments to learning)...the other, everyone keeps saying "when" we get back in the field like "the good ole days." Folks, that may not ever happen again. 50/50. Not saying don't come into the job since I'm new to it as well but be prepared for possibly "disliking" it is all I'm saying. The job is made waaaaaaaay more complicated than it needs to be by bizarre, arcane, and literally ENDLESS, IRS tax laws/codes/rules/regulations that will keep you bent over a computer all day long...Tons of bureaucracy and red tape. Have at it by all means I'm just not like some others on here claiming it's this cool enforcement job. So they love it...well that's great. Probably was a better gig pre-pandemic. You're a computer jockey for al intents and purposes right now. And so wow, down the road maybe you go out in the field one day a week to drive around and get out of your office. Wooopeeee! And YES!!!!! You will be canned/not hired absolutely if you don't get vaxxed! So 25% of the American population are being persecuted in violation of their Constitutional Rights....Classic! Thanks Joe!!!

But how do you really feel. I mean maybe its cause ive been with irs for the last two years and I know what to expect. You are still in training and im sure the real job is nothing like the training is. They are just trying to prepare you as best they can
scottyd27  
#934 Posted : Friday, October 1, 2021 7:13:40 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Sounds like you’re miserable.

Nothing wrong with having an honest conversation with yourself and turning in your resignation.

If I was as miserable as you claim to be I’d walk out the door.

We will be going back to the field. No way we don’t.

As far as the vaccine requirement. I have heard but not officially it’ll be have to be completed by 11/09. So the scuttlebutt.

This is a cool enforcement job. You’ve been at it for 2 minutes. Maybe learn it first before you spit off how aweful it is.
Sunny6815 on 10/3/2021(UTC)
scottyd27  
#935 Posted : Friday, October 1, 2021 7:17:46 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

FYI the IRS doesn’t make the tax code. Congress does. And politicians make everything endless.
Sunny6815 on 10/3/2021(UTC)
Riverside  
#936 Posted : Friday, October 1, 2021 8:51:11 PM(UTC)
Riverside

Sounds like you’re miserable.

Nothing wrong with having an honest conversation with yourself and turning in your resignation.

If I was as miserable as you claim to be I’d walk out the door.

We will be going back to the field. No way we don’t.

As far as the vaccine requirement. I have heard but not officially it’ll be have to be completed by 11/09. So the scuttlebutt.

This is a cool enforcement job. You’ve been at it for 2 minutes. Maybe learn it first before you spit off how aweful it is.

Sorry all knowing and almighty smug one...even short timers can have opinions. Why are you repeatedly doing the ad hominem attacks telling me to "quit if I don't like it?" I can have some very real adverse/negative opinions about the job without you always spouting out the same, boring retort....just quit if you don't like it. Well...maybe I want to stay and help fix/improve it. Nothing wrong with providing a very real, and perhaps different, perspective, than only yours all the time. Maybe you're out of touch with the trainee experience as it is now and don't even have a good grasp of it. Yeah we know, you think the job's cool, badass, etc... and get highly ruffled when someone says otherwise. I could care less if you have thirty years versus three months, and as long as you have no official authority over me (unlike military and police hierarchy), you're just another worker dude. I get it that you're an advocate of quitting yourself, since you would "walk out the door" if "I was as miserable as you claim" (you admit this in your above post, line 2), but maybe I'm not a quitter... I'm just noticing how good things COULD be and MIGHT be someday in relation to the present boondoggle. You seem to have the eyesight of of a hawk but the vision of a clam my friend.
Quicksilver21  
#937 Posted : Monday, October 4, 2021 3:39:56 AM(UTC)
Quicksilver21

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and congratulation to everyone that got a TO and FO these past couple of months. I am excited but anxious as well because I got my TO on 9/09 but I still haven't rec'd my FO as of yet. I didn't have to redo my finger prints because I am already a government employee with the DOJ. Can I please get some feed back how long did it take to get your final offer. Thank you in advance and good luck to everyone.
scottyd27  
#938 Posted : Monday, October 4, 2021 3:59:50 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: Quicksilver21 Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and congratulation to everyone that got a TO and FO these past couple of months. I am excited but anxious as well because I got my TO on 9/09 but I still haven't rec'd my FO as of yet. I didn't have to redo my finger prints because I am already a government employee with the DOJ. Can I please get some feed back how long did it take to get your final offer. Thank you in advance and good luck to everyone.

I would think you’ll be in the 12/3 hiring. So be patient.
luckydevil  
#939 Posted : Monday, October 4, 2021 7:44:39 AM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 129 post(s)
Hey all,

Just starting the hiring journey. I applied a few weeks before the last announcement closed. I just received notification for application received for gs 7 wave 3 and based on responses my application was suitable for further review. They would contact me after further review about my eligibility.

I haven’t received the same email for gs 9 yet. Does this mean they are only hiring for gs 7 at my pod then? Just curious why it was for only one grade level. Thanks all.
MJE  
#940 Posted : Monday, October 4, 2021 8:27:57 AM(UTC)
MJE

United States

Originally Posted by: Quicksilver21 Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone,

I would think you’ll be in the 12/3 hiring. So be patient.

It’s probably been discussed but I may have missed it speed reading through, what do these hiring waves follow? My TO said 12/6. Just curious. I saw some people here got FOs in 2-3 weeks. It’s been a little over 4 for me now and still waiting. I don’t want to bug HR too much asking about status. Moving across state lines and really want to start securing housing.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed