Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

52 Pages«<45678>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Floaty  
#101 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2021 9:37:17 PM(UTC)
Floaty

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Update: Class for new RO is expected to start towards end of June. Ca site.

So still time to interview and hire. Good luck.
*Do not drown in your own swimming pool*
thanks 2 users thanked Floaty for this useful post.
Paul on 4/13/2021(UTC), XFed77 on 4/13/2021(UTC)
XFed77  
#102 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2021 7:25:53 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Floaty Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for that info! It is very appreciated.

Is that a class that will include a few PODs together in California?

North, Central, South?

Thanks!

scottyd27  
#103 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2021 8:47:36 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Was thanked: 293 time(s) in 219 post(s)
Originally Posted by: XFed77 Go to Quoted Post

North, Central, South?

Thanks!

All classes will include people from all over the country. They do that so you get to know people.

This is a mass hiring. And there will be different hire dates and class dates for each group of hires
XFed77  
#104 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2021 9:02:37 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Originally Posted by: scottyd27 Go to Quoted Post

North, Central, South?

Thanks!

All classes will include people from all over the country. They do that so you get to know people.

This is a mass hiring. And there will be different hire dates and class dates for each group of hires

Duh...

I know this is a mass hiring. I was an RO before, maybe even before you, a little after RRA 98.

Just want to get real-time information from someone who has specific information about this present hiring process, like the
person I replied to. Not generalizations of the past. I know a lot about that. It helps somewhat, up to a certain point.

Thanks

Edited by user Tuesday, April 13, 2021 9:06:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked XFed77 for this useful post.
Marie93 on 4/13/2021(UTC)
Papoose79  
#105 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2021 3:01:20 PM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 53 post(s)

It's my understanding internals in June, and externals in August. However that could change too!
Papoose79  
#106 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2021 3:03:22 PM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

North, Central, South?

Thanks!

There's probably going to be a mixture in both hiring classes, but of course they may change it.
thanks 1 user thanked Papoose79 for this useful post.
XFed77 on 4/13/2021(UTC)
scottyd27  
#107 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2021 3:25:41 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

All face to face training for FY21 is cancelled. There’s been no guidance on Fy22.

The last hire class got caught up in COVID fiasco and had part of their training in person and part virtual.

The other problem is going to be getting OJIs.

I was suppose to be an OJI this tune around. But I told them I’m not doing it virtually.

Edited by user Tuesday, April 13, 2021 3:26:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Papoose79  
#108 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2021 8:13:20 PM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Papoose79 Go to Quoted Post

It's my understanding internals in June, and externals in August. However that could change too!

I appreciate your info, Papoose79!

At least we know that within the next 2 to 4 months there's going to be movement/hiring.

The last action was on March 17th, the last day for the RO Assessment. Since HR has to take actions generally within 30 days of the previous one, I'm anticipating the next action to happen by this coming Monday, April 19th, (because April 17th is Saturday), or by May 2nd, because they can have an extension of 15 days. So, we might get some type of action by then, be it a Referral or an Interview.

Have you heard anything about classes being virtual or trainees get to travel?

Thanks!

I think all class training is from home and they really don't have a plan for the OJI phase.
Papoose79  
#109 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2021 8:15:40 PM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

All face to face training for FY21 is cancelled. There’s been no guidance on Fy22.

The last hire class got caught up in COVID fiasco and had part of their training in person and part virtual.

The other problem is going to be getting OJIs.

I was suppose to be an OJI this tune around. But I told them I’m not doing it virtually.

I think they're still shooting for the face to face next year. I don't know much because I am not a RO "yet!" Hopefully one of them pick me this round!
NoodleCounter  
#110 Posted : Tuesday, April 13, 2021 8:21:43 PM(UTC)
NoodleCounter

United States

There are always people willing to OJI for the chance to put something else on their annual evals. I've officially trained several people in different things and I've never been able to take the official OJI class.

Personally, I prefer training virtually. My eyesight is bad and when I train in person I have to get right into a person's space if I want to be close enough to their monitor to be able to read what's on their computer screen. When I OJI virtually, I can put the screen as close to my face as I want and nobody cares.
scottyd27  
#111 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2021 2:30:20 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: NoodleCounter Go to Quoted Post

There are always people willing to OJI for the chance to put something else on their annual evals. I've officially trained several people in different things and I've never been able to take the official OJI class.

Personally, I prefer training virtually. My eyesight is bad and when I train in person I have to get right into a person's space if I want to be close enough to their monitor to be able to read what's on their computer screen. When I OJI virtually, I can put the screen as close to my face as I want and nobody cares.

I don’t mind virtual training except I don’t get per dime then.

But you can’t teach people to work in front of a taxpayer without actually having them in front of a taxpayer.

So I don’t want to train them this time to only teach half the job.

I worry about my annuals but that are always between 4.4 and 4.7 and exceeds.

Just my opinion but I don’t want to OJI this time. And my understanding is they want people to do the virtual training and keep a case load.
Papoose79  
#112 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2021 4:52:45 AM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: NoodleCounter Go to Quoted Post

I don’t mind virtual training except I don’t get per dime then.

But you can’t teach people to work in front of a taxpayer without actually having them in front of a taxpayer.

So I don’t want to train them this time to only teach half the job.

I worry about my annuals but that are always between 4.4 and 4.7 and exceeds.

Just my opinion but I don’t want to OJI this time. And my understanding is they want people to do the virtual training and keep a case load.

I do understand you on this point. I actually agree because this was on of the questions I asked. I will assume the field training will come once we're half way able to travel etc.
federalgovtjobseeker  
#113 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2021 8:01:43 AM(UTC)
federalgovtjobseeker

United States

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 95 post(s)

At least we know that within the next 2 to 4 months there's going to be movement/hiring.

The last action was on March 17th, the last day for the RO Assessment. Since HR has to take actions generally within 30 days of the previous one, I'm anticipating the next action to happen by this coming Monday, April 19th, (because April 17th is Saturday), or by May 2nd, because they can have an extension of 15 days. So, we might get some type of action by then, be it a Referral or an Interview.

Thanks!

All face to face training for FY 2021 is cancelled, but that only goes through September 30th, 2021. Depending on when the new hires onboard, there will more than likely be more information on training for them then. Currently, the 3 waves for FY 2019 still have to complete unit 4 and the goal is to complete that in person. My guess is that will need to be completed in person before the new hires can travel for training judging by previous emails. Also, the FY 2020 hires have their unit 3 and unit 4 training still to do as far as I am aware of which they are looking to do in person as well. There is a lot of logistics involved but depending on travel restrictions and the amount of people vaccinated, travel for training will be a go eventually. Right now, with approval from the higher ups, very rare work in the field can happen but there are a lot of hoops to jump through right now for one RO to travel so for a whole group, it’s even harder to plan for that. Hope this helps!
thanks 1 user thanked federalgovtjobseeker for this useful post.
XFed77 on 4/20/2021(UTC)
XFed77  
#114 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2021 9:52:25 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Originally Posted by: federalgovtjobseeker Go to Quoted Post

Thanks!

All face to face training for FY 2021 is cancelled, but that only goes through September 30th, 2021. Depending on when the new hires onboard, there will more than likely be more information on training for them then. Currently, the 3 waves for FY 2019 still have to complete unit 4 and the goal is to complete that in person. My guess is that will need to be completed in person before the new hires can travel for training judging by previous emails. Also, the FY 2020 hires have their unit 3 and unit 4 training still to do as far as I am aware of which they are looking to do in person as well. There is a lot of logistics involved but depending on travel restrictions and the amount of people vaccinated, travel for training will be a go eventually. Right now, with approval from the higher ups, very rare work in the field can happen but there are a lot of hoops to jump through right now for one RO to travel so for a whole group, it’s even harder to plan for that. Hope this helps!

This is very explanatory, encouraging, and useful information. It is very appreciated.

Of course, I know things can change, but it looks like a very realistic account of what is going on behind the scenes and what can happen.
The RO is mostly a field job with contact with the taxpayers. Like the OJI who has been posting here has said, it's better to have these classes in person than virtually for the specific nature of this job. Other jobs that are on a computer all day in an office, can benefit from virtual training, but an RO, needs that in-person experience from qualified OJIs or veteran ROs that can't be obtained virtually to succeed.

It makes sense for them to try to get the 2019/2020 trainees, who still have a class or 2 left because of COVID delays, to take those classes in person, for them to be better trained, as a possible improvement/decrease/end of COVID looms in the horizon and that this will push back a start date for 2021 trainees due to logistics. Like any other federal agency or organization, the IRS only has a number of personnel, training facilities, and a budget for these activities and it factors in as well.

Thank You!

Nick

Edited by user Wednesday, April 21, 2021 1:57:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

scottyd27  
#115 Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2021 2:49:12 PM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Originally Posted by: federalgovtjobseeker Go to Quoted Post

Thanks!

This is very explanatory, encouraging, and useful information. It is very appreciated.

Of course, I know things can change, but it looks like a very realistic account of what is going on behind the scenes and what can happen.
The RO is mostly a field job with contact with the taxpayers. Like the OJI who has been posting here has said, it's better to have these classes in person than virtually for the specific nature of this job. Other jobs that are on a computer all day in an office, can benefit from virtual training, but an RO, needs that in-person experience from qualified OJIs or veteran ROs that can't be obtained virtually to succeed.

It makes sense for them to try to get the 2019/2020 trainees, who still have a class or 2 left because of COVID delays, to take those classes in person, for them to be better trained, as a possible improvement/decrease/end of COVID looms in the horizon and that this will push back a start date for 2021 trainees due to logistics. Like any other federal agency or organization, the IRS only has a number of personnel, training facilities, and a budget for these activities and it factors in as well.

Thank You!

Nick

The 2020 new hires some of them were hired 3 days before the office evacuations.

They are going to struggle as ROs.
Papoose79  
#116 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2021 4:14:00 AM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Got the call yesterday with the verbal you're select but pick the location. I chose my current location. I was told more information would be coming soon. This was from the internal recruitment.

Lastly yes the class part of the training will be virtual and I am sure they'll come up with something for the OJI phase.

I am an internal that started as an AM CSR in Memphis, then went to ACS CSR in Denver. Took a 2 year break at another agency. Returned IRS as an ITAS last year that barely got trained 10 months later. I think OJI will be fine whenever they get to it considering the training for ITAS is not so put together! 😆

I am one of those that weren't lucky enough to be able to work from home, and was denied the opportunity to train from home.

Also, I received an email stating I failed the ROSA, so I appealled it stating the test has not changed since I took it and passed it in 2016, so either I failed it then or something is wrong.

They actually pulled my records and investigated it and confirmed something was wrong with the testing score and I did pass it again this time. So never be afraid to appeal/question these NOR if you don't agree.
thanks 2 users thanked Papoose79 for this useful post.
XFed77 on 4/22/2021(UTC), Austin99 on 4/22/2021(UTC)
XFed77  
#117 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2021 6:19:56 AM(UTC)
XFed77

United States

Got the call yesterday with the verbal you're select but pick the location. I chose my current location. I was told more information would be coming soon. This was from the internal recruitment.

Lastly yes the class part of the training will be virtual and I am sure they'll come up with something for the OJI phase.

I am an internal that started as an AM CSR in Memphis, then went to ACS CSR in Denver. Took a 2 year break at another agency. Returned IRS as an ITAS last year that barely got trained 10 months later. I think OJI will be fine whenever they get to it considering the training for ITAS is not so put together! 😆

I am one of those that weren't lucky enough to be able to work from home, and was denied the opportunity to train from home.

Also, I received an email stating I failed the ROSA, so I appealled it stating the test has not changed since I took it and passed it in 2016, so either I failed it then or something is wrong.

They actually pulled my records and investigated it and confirmed something was wrong with the testing score and I did pass it again this time. So never be afraid to appeal/question these NOR if you don't agree.

Congratulations Papoose!

And once again, Thanks for sharing these details.

You were informed of your selection yesterday, April 21st, about 2 months from the date it was announced: February 22nd. That is kind of quick.

That is encouraging news! I figure that once they're done hiring internals, they'll move on to externals; The external announcement opened March 8th.

I'm hoping we hear something from HR within 30 days of the last action taken, (status changed from administering RO assessment to "Qualifications under review"), on March 29th.

Thanks for sharing the other information also!

Good luck in your career as an RO.

Edited by user Thursday, April 22, 2021 6:27:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Papoose79  
#118 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2021 6:29:34 AM(UTC)
Papoose79

Woman
United States

Congratulations Papoose!

You were informed of your selection yesterday, April 21st, about 2 months from the date it was announced: February 22nd. That is kind of quick.

That is encouraging news! I figure that once they're done hiring internals, they'll move on to externals; The external announcement opened March 8th.

I think that's the plan. I actually asked during my interviews and yes I had like 10 or 11 interviews for the various locations I selected. I was offered all that were looking for a GS9, which were few. Furthermore, I already knew if I wasn't selected for the internal list for the 3rd time it's not going to happen! They really do need a lot of people, so stay hopeful!
scottyd27  
#119 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2021 10:34:43 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

United States

Congratulations Papoose!

I think that's the plan. I actually asked during my interviews and yes I had like 10 or 11 interviews for the various locations I selected. I was offered all that were looking for a GS9, which were few. Furthermore, I already knew if I wasn't selected for the internal list for the 3rd time it's not going to happen! They really do need a lot of people, so stay hopeful!

If you ever get to sit in a town hall with the director of field collections, he will tell you he needs a total of 5000 revenue officers on the books.

Right now there are about 2500
Red  
#120 Posted : Thursday, April 22, 2021 12:23:40 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 34 post(s)
Before RRA98 (which was an over-reaction to Congress beating up on IRS to score cheap political points), there were around 8000 Revenue Officers. They were the backbone of the service. They never have received the recognition they deserve- the public thinks all IRS "agents" are auditors. Same for politicians and the press. With the huge amount of uncollected tax out there,(already on the books), it would be wise to hire more ROs. But "wise" and "government" are seldom used in the same sentence. Good luck to you guys. I hope they hire more of you and turn you loose.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed