Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MJVR  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 13, 2021 10:43:43 AM(UTC)
MJVR

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hi! I know this is a HUGE long shot, but I'm curious if anyone has insight into hiring stats once you've received an invite to take additional testing. I was told the largest screener is getting down from app to testing, but wondering if anyone knows anything past that? I am sure it varies by the directorate, and people are less likely to post if they have been hired. But. Never hurts to ask :)
thanks 1 user thanked MJVR for this useful post.
rebels8 on 3/14/2021(UTC)
tumamad165  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 13, 2021 11:12:58 AM(UTC)
tumamad165

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I’d say it really depends on directorate because some have additional screeners past online testing. But they won’t waste your time putting you through all the testing and interviews if they don’t think you have a shot at getting an offer. So stay in it!
thanks 2 users thanked tumamad165 for this useful post.
slondon on 3/13/2021(UTC), rebels8 on 3/14/2021(UTC)
slondon  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 13, 2021 1:36:16 PM(UTC)
slondon

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MarieJeanVR Go to Quoted Post
Hi! I know this is a HUGE long shot, but I'm curious if anyone has insight into hiring stats once you've received an invite to take additional testing. I was told the largest screener is getting down from app to testing, but wondering if anyone knows anything past that? I am sure it varies by the directorate, and people are less likely to post if they have been hired. But. Never hurts to ask :)

Next is a virtual interview, I know someone that has one next month after they took the test early last month. GOod luck. if you see a Virginia number on your phone answer.
thanks 1 user thanked slondon for this useful post.
rebels8  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 14, 2021 1:05:31 AM(UTC)
rebels8

Man
United States

Was thanked: 193 time(s) in 171 post(s)

Did this person tell you about how many people are applying to the agency nowadays? I read that in the months and years following 9/11, tens of thousands and maybe even hundreds of thousands of people applied every year. However almost 20 years later, it's got to be a significantly lower number than it was then. I've also read that the agency still supposedly receives thousands of applications monthly. But that's a very vague figure. "Thousands" is anything equal to or greater than 2,000.

Edited by user Sunday, March 14, 2021 1:14:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#MMlivesmatter
someoldguy  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 14, 2021 2:10:39 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 1026 time(s) in 868 post(s)
I was told the largest screener is getting down from app to testing...
That may be true but they still have many more applicants than openings even after you get past that stage. And there does not seem to be much of a sense of urgency, shall we say, about processing new applicants... at least based on the reports we read on these forums.

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
thanks 1 user thanked someoldguy for this useful post.
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 14, 2021 4:47:50 PM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)
No clue on what the stats are from application to testing, but it seems like most of those that get interviewed in person end up with a COE. I guess they don't foot the bill for you to fly across the country unless they are pretty sure they want you.

All that said, there appears to be a substantial cut after the poly, which looks like the make-or-break moment of the clearance process. And those that get past it get rewarded with years and years of agonizing waits with little to no contact--not to mention the constant possibility they could cut you "just because".

I want to believe the job is ultimately worth the wait, but it comes at the cost of 3+ years of frustration and uncertainty.
thanks 1 user thanked 51319 for this useful post.
rebels8  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 14, 2021 5:21:36 PM(UTC)
rebels8

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: 51319 Go to Quoted Post

All that said, there appears to be a substantial cut after the poly, which looks like the make-or-break moment of the clearance process.

So it is basically a given that significantly more people fail full-scope polys than fail CI polys?

#MMlivesmatter
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 14, 2021 6:04:48 PM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I do think there is probably a higher fail rate for FS. I think it is also just a cultural difference in how CIA thinks about the poly versus other agencies.

Most agencies (with the exception of NSA) seem to do the BI and the poly concurrently, suggesting that they view the poly as one piece of the "whole person" concept for the clearance adjudicator to consider. CIA brings people in for the poly first, adjudicates the results (in tandem with medical/psych/credit pull), and then sends people onto the BI if they feel confident in the applicant's ability to obtain a clearance. In this sense, CIA views the poly as a step that must be passed in itself rather than only a piece of the bigger picture. They have no compunctions about throwing an applicant out for even the slightest doubt about their fitness to obtain a clearance--even if those doubts could be cleared up through the BI and a "whole person" review by an adjudicator.

Again, my .02 from what I've read on these forums. I get the sense that CIA knowingly gives out a good bit more COEs than they actually have jobs for because they know security will weed out so many applicants.
thanks 2 users thanked 51319 for this useful post.
rebels8 on 3/14/2021(UTC), slondon on 3/14/2021(UTC)
rebels8  
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 14, 2021 10:38:58 PM(UTC)
rebels8

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: 51319 Go to Quoted Post
I do think there is probably a higher fail rate for FS. I think it is also just a cultural difference in how CIA thinks about the poly versus other agencies.

Most agencies (with the exception of NSA) seem to do the BI and the poly concurrently, suggesting that they view the poly as one piece of the "whole person" concept for the clearance adjudicator to consider. CIA brings people in for the poly first, adjudicates the results (in tandem with medical/psych/credit pull), and then sends people onto the BI if they feel confident in the applicant's ability to obtain a clearance. In this sense, CIA views the poly as a step that must be passed in itself rather than only a piece of the bigger picture. They have no compunctions about throwing an applicant out for even the slightest doubt about their fitness to obtain a clearance--even if those doubts could be cleared up through the BI and a "whole person" review by an adjudicator.

Again, my .02 from what I've read on these forums. I get the sense that CIA knowingly gives out a good bit more COEs than they actually have jobs for because they know security will weed out so many applicants.

I am by no means anti-polygraph, even though polygraphs have long been controversial. However, why do U.S. intelligence agencies, including the CIA, put so much emphasis on polys as part of the pre-employment process? Is it primarily because the poly is a quicker and cheaper method to weed out applicants than the BI?
#MMlivesmatter
tumamad165  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 15, 2021 6:18:24 AM(UTC)
tumamad165

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
That’s actually false - at least partly. No hard and fast rule about adjudicating poly/med/psych before starting the background. Not at CIA or really any of the other IC agencies either. Varies person to person and guessing also dependent on resources at the time.
MJVR  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 15, 2021 7:14:00 AM(UTC)
MJVR

United States

Thanks for the feedback. People's timelines and experiences seem all over the place. My understanding is they still get thousands of applications each year- I know they're squirrely on the actual number. I also know the hiring/interview process is different in each directorate. I've heard stories of making it all the way to the end, right before the start date, and then getting a letter like jk sorry try again later position has been filled (yes, that's verbatim ;) ) But then you also hear about people flying through it.
rebels8 on 3/15/2021(UTC)
rebels8  
#12 Posted : Monday, March 15, 2021 9:54:44 AM(UTC)
rebels8

Man
United States

I've heard stories of making it all the way to the end, right before the start date, and then getting a letter like jk sorry try again later position has been filled (yes, that's verbatim ;) )

But how would something like this be possible? I know that CIA doesn't have hiring events and a hiring pool like DIA does. However it's my understanding that when someone applies to the CIA, they're still applying for a career field and not a specific vacancy or vacancies. Would the agency send a letter like that to an applicant that late in the process if the career that they applied to doesn't currently have any vacancies? Because according to the CIA website, there are currently no vacancies in certain analytical career fields and people can't apply for those analytical careers now. And so I wonder if there are some people who had previously applied to those careers but were later sent the above letter because the agency decided not to hire any new analysts in those fields.
#MMlivesmatter
MJVR  
#13 Posted : Monday, March 15, 2021 10:00:28 AM(UTC)
MJVR

United States

Originally Posted by: rebels8 Go to Quoted Post
I've heard stories of making it all the way to the end, right before the start date, and then getting a letter like jk sorry try again later position has been filled (yes, that's verbatim ;) )

But how would something like this be possible? I know that CIA doesn't have hiring events and a hiring pool like DIA does. However it's my understanding that when someone applies to the CIA, they're still applying for a career field and not a specific vacancy or vacancies. Would the agency send a letter like that to an applicant that late in the process if the career that they applied to doesn't currently have any vacancies? Because according to the CIA website, there are currently no vacancies in certain analytical career fields and people can't apply for those analytical careers now. And so I wonder if there are some people who had previously applied to those careers but were later sent the above letter because the agency decided not to hire any new analysts in those fields.

I'm not exactly sure- but I do know what you're referring to. If I had to guess, I'd say because processing takes so long, by the time they're ready to onboard, maybe the needs of the agency have changed? Whether it's profile, position, etc. I obviously don't know for certain.
rebels8 on 3/15/2021(UTC)
hopefulguy  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 17, 2021 4:40:29 AM(UTC)
hopefulguy

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
"CIA brings people in for the poly first, adjudicates the results (in tandem with medical/psych/credit pull), and then sends people onto the BI if they feel confident in the applicant's ability to obtain a clearance. In this sense, CIA views the poly as a step that must be passed in itself rather than only a piece of the bigger picture."

Not true in every case. Sometimes the ploy is last.
someoldguy  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 6, 2021 1:30:53 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 1026 time(s) in 868 post(s)
I can remember when only triangles, prisms, and organic bean sprouts were "holistic." Now everything is. Or claims to be.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
bigrod223399  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, April 7, 2021 5:34:52 AM(UTC)
bigrod223399

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: faultyterracotta Go to Quoted Post
Curious if someone can comment on the "holistic application review process" I ran out of time on one part and am now worried sick about its impact on my chances of progressing. I would assume that this is just a part of the picture but interested to hear what others have to say.

If you didn't screw the entire test up you're probably fine. I messed a nice chunk up and still got called.
Bird_Dog_703  
#17 Posted : Thursday, May 20, 2021 12:54:30 PM(UTC)
Bird_Dog_703

United States

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MJVR Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the feedback. People's timelines and experiences seem all over the place. My understanding is they still get thousands of applications each year- I know they're squirrely on the actual number. I also know the hiring/interview process is different in each directorate. I've heard stories of making it all the way to the end, right before the start date, and then getting a letter like jk sorry try again later position has been filled (yes, that's verbatim ;) ) But then you also hear about people flying through it.

They get about 4 to 5k apps per month.
thanks 1 user thanked Bird_Dog_703 for this useful post.
rebels8 on 5/20/2021(UTC)
rebels8  
#18 Posted : Thursday, May 20, 2021 3:13:46 PM(UTC)
rebels8

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Bird_Dog_703 Go to Quoted Post

How does the agency wade through those 4 to 5k apps per month? Does HR decide which people will advance in the application process or is it up to the specific directorate that people apply to?

#MMlivesmatter
velcroTech  
#19 Posted : Thursday, May 20, 2021 4:08:20 PM(UTC)
velcroTech

Cayman Islands

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 42 post(s)

How does the agency wade through those 4 to 5k apps per month? Does HR decide which people will advance in the application process or is it up to the specific directorate that people apply to?

Have you been to the APC?
rebels8  
#20 Posted : Friday, May 21, 2021 2:12:37 AM(UTC)
rebels8

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: velcroTech Go to Quoted Post

Have you been to the APC?

Are you talking about adjudication? Narrowing down CIA job applications has nothing to do with adjudication.
#MMlivesmatter
Rss Feed  Atom Feed