Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
QDF335  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 4, 2021 8:58:52 PM(UTC)
QDF335

Groups: Registered

Good evening,

I have been the equivalent of a GS-12/13 in the FV pay system for approximately 1 year. Dollar wise, I am the equivalent of a GS-12 Step 10.

I am considering moving to a new position. I am fairly unhappy with my current job and my wife and I are looking to relocate. I recently received a TO for a position with another agency in a different geographic area.

Unfortunately, this position is being filled at a GS-9. My TO offered GS-9 Step 10. According to the hiring manager, promotions are on an annual basis assuming satisfactory performance, I would be promoted to GS-12 within approximately 2 years.

I understand I will be taking an initial pay cut, but my concern is how long will it take to attain my previously held GS-12 Step 10? Upon promotion to GS-11 would I automatically increase to Step 10 as I was previously at a higher grade and step, or would I be limited to the two step equivalent pay increase? If I am limited to the two step increase, is there a way to negotiate otherwise into an offer?

Thanks for your help in advance!
nembamike  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2021 4:35:54 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 220 time(s) in 199 post(s)
As this is a voluntary move my understanding is moving from GS-9 to GS-11 promotion the 2 step rule would now apply. Generally you can't negotiate if you are already fed, but give it a try.
QDF335  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 5, 2021 7:55:21 AM(UTC)
QDF335

Although I've been a federal employee for a couple years, I have limited knowledge of the GS pay system as I've never worked under it. Although the cost of living in the geographic location the position is located in is more beneficial, an obvious concern is how long it would take to obtain parity with my current position. Unfortunately, this seems to be a shortcoming of the GS pay system, but I want to see if I understand it correctly.

Assuming I am hired at GS-9 Step 10, I am attempting to determine how long it would take to achieve close to my current pay. I presently make $113,796 in the FV pay scale w/ locality. The maximum pay at GS-12 Step 10 w/ locality at the new location (Seattle-Tacoma) is $110,356.00 and is my target.

As a GS-9 Step 10 I would be at $76,094. After one year and a promotion, I would move to GS-11 Step 6 at $82,628.00. After year two and a promotion I would move to GS-12 Step 2 at $87,716.00. At year three I would move to GS-12 Step 3 at $90,546.00. It would then take me an additional 15 years under normal progression to reach Step 10 (assuming no promotion to GS-13)?
djp  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2021 2:09:33 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 170 time(s) in 167 post(s)
Originally Posted by: QDF335 Go to Quoted Post
Although I've been a federal employee for a couple years, I have limited knowledge of the GS pay system as I've never worked under it. Although the cost of living in the geographic location the position is located in is more beneficial, an obvious concern is how long it would take to obtain parity with my current position. Unfortunately, this seems to be a shortcoming of the GS pay system, but I want to see if I understand it correctly.

Assuming I am hired at GS-9 Step 10, I am attempting to determine how long it would take to achieve close to my current pay. I presently make $113,796 in the FV pay scale w/ locality. The maximum pay at GS-12 Step 10 w/ locality at the new location (Seattle-Tacoma) is $110,356.00 and is my target.

As a GS-9 Step 10 I would be at $76,094. After one year and a promotion, I would move to GS-11 Step 6 at $82,628.00. After year two and a promotion I would move to GS-12 Step 2 at $87,716.00. At year three I would move to GS-12 Step 3 at $90,546.00. It would then take me an additional 15 years under normal progression to reach Step 10 (assuming no promotion to GS-13)?

A few things....

There is no guarantee on promoting in grades.

In the refs if you are not in a GS pay system...look at your base pay or your full pay in your local area. If you fall between gs 12 step 4 and Gs 13 step 4 your work is at a GS 13 level.

The only time to take such a pay cut is if you are on a different career path than what you’ve done

Rss Feed  Atom Feed