Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cbqueen  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 9, 2021 11:17:32 AM(UTC)
cbqueen

Groups: Registered
United States

(Cross-posting from OPM)
I got an opportunity for a schedule c job at an agency that recently just confirmed their cabinet secretary.

I am originally from Miami and mainly worked for non-profits. I recently moved to DC for another non-profit role, got laid off, and got a call about this opportunity.

I am familiar with the USAJOBS process as I’ve sent over 100+ applications but I am completely new to this schedule c/appointee process and the internet really doesn’t offer much when it comes to this question. All I find is the plum book description(which also was very new to me).

The process seems a bit vague and I don’t understand why. I’m anal when it comes to these things as I like full transparency when it comes to roles I’m being considered for so I don’t make any mistakes that may hinder my candidacy. I’m also confused as to why the process is so different compared to USAJOBS (which is very thorough).

The SES person who would potentially be my boss informed me that they passed my resume onto the personnel team and that the process has been incredibly slow– I'm not sure what happens next or how normally these resumes are handled.

While I understand and empathize with the slow pace, I am feeling frustrated with the lack of information as I have been unemployed and my finances are beginning to dwindle.

If anyone could offer any insight that would be great. Thanks in advance.
AirEagle  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 10, 2021 11:18:47 AM(UTC)
AirEagle

United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cbqueen Go to Quoted Post
(Cross-posting from OPM)
I got an opportunity for a schedule c job at an agency that recently just confirmed their cabinet secretary.

I am originally from Miami and mainly worked for non-profits. I recently moved to DC for another non-profit role, got laid off, and got a call about this opportunity.

I am familiar with the USAJOBS process as I’ve sent over 100+ applications but I am completely new to this schedule c/appointee process and the internet really doesn’t offer much when it comes to this question. All I find is the plum book description(which also was very new to me).

The process seems a bit vague and I don’t understand why. I’m anal when it comes to these things as I like full transparency when it comes to roles I’m being considered for so I don’t make any mistakes that may hinder my candidacy. I’m also confused as to why the process is so different compared to USAJOBS (which is very thorough).

The SES person who would potentially be my boss informed me that they passed my resume onto the personnel team and that the process has been incredibly slow– I'm not sure what happens next or how normally these resumes are handled.

While I understand and empathize with the slow pace, I am feeling frustrated with the lack of information as I have been unemployed and my finances are beginning to dwindle.

What type of appointment is a Schedule C appointment? I've never heard of it. As far as the pace of the hiring process, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it but let it take its course. If it any consolence to you I am in my 9th week awaiting a response after submitting my references for a job. At this point I believe the job has been filled and they are awaiting to onboard the hiree before they closed out the announcement and send me my disposition. You can email the POC on the announcement, like it did, for a status update but I am pretty sure they are going to give you a can response that will reiterate the USAJobs status.

My best advice is the move on and forget about it. It will drive you bonkers if you let it. If one day out the deep blue sea they contact again....well deal with it then.
cbqueen  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 10, 2021 11:45:59 AM(UTC)
cbqueen

United States

Originally Posted by: AirEagle Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: cbqueen Go to Quoted Post
(Cross-posting from OPM)

What type of appointment is a Schedule C appointment? I've never heard of it. As far as the pace of the hiring process, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it but let it take its course. If it any consolence to you I am in my 9th week awaiting a response after submitting my references for a job. At this point I believe the job has been filled and they are awaiting to onboard the hiree before they closed out the announcement and send me my disposition. You can email the POC on the announcement, like it did, for a status update but I am pretty sure they are going to give you a can response that will reiterate the USAJobs status.

My best advice is the move on and forget about it. It will drive you bonkers if you let it. If one day out the deep blue sea they contact again....well deal with it then.

Thanks for your response! I appreciate it. And yes, patience is a virtue that is heavily needed for these positions.
By the way, a schedule c job is a presidential appointee/non-career/non-competitive job. I found out about it around the election through the Plum Book. I didn't go through the traditional USAJobs process, hence why I feel a bit lost and confused with the run of things. I guess I will just continue waiting and post an update for folks to have a point of reference whenever this question comes up again :)

Rss Feed  Atom Feed