Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FBItoHRT  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 8, 2021 7:34:19 PM(UTC)
FBItoHRT

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Whelp, I'm rather shocked by this. 18 months after my AC told me my Q dates, and 6 months after another AC told me I passed poly , background and everything, I got the thin letter in the mail saying I failed due to Suitability reason. I have no *****ing idea why, aside from the DUI 10+ years ago (which I told them from the start), I've lived a very clean life. No drugs, pot a few times in college (15 years ago), no mental health/anger/emotional issues. I come from a military family and I'm an eagle scout. Too bad!

In the letter the FBI mails you they give you the option of a FOIA request. Anyone take them up on their offer and do they actually get told reasons why?

Kinda bummed. What a waste.
cmar  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 9, 2021 7:31:45 AM(UTC)
cmar

United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Wow I’m so sorry. So you’re saying you were favorably adjudicated, had a date set for Q, and then received notice you were unsuitable? That’s baffling. I would definitely submit a request and maybe even reach out to your AC. Who knows, maybe wires got crossed somewhere and you weren’t supposed to receive it?
IA App:8/28/18
I:12/19/18
II:12/26/18, pass 1/16/19
III:11/7/19, pass 11/13/19
CJO:12/13/19
PSI:1/13/20
Poly:1/17/20
BI:Pending
Annino  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 9, 2021 10:16:39 AM(UTC)
Annino

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FBItoHRT Go to Quoted Post
Whelp, I'm rather shocked by this. 18 months after my AC told me my Q dates, and 6 months after another AC told me I passed poly , background and everything, I got the thin letter in the mail saying I failed due to Suitability reason. I have no *****ing idea why, aside from the DUI 10+ years ago (which I told them from the start), I've lived a very clean life. No drugs, pot a few times in college (15 years ago), no mental health/anger/emotional issues. I come from a military family and I'm an eagle scout. Too bad!

In the letter the FBI mails you they give you the option of a FOIA request. Anyone take them up on their offer and do they actually get told reasons why?

Sorry to hear that. You were last given Q dates 18 months ago? That seems quite odd. I’d say if they give the FOIA option, take it and see what went on.
tamvid11  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 10:48:37 AM(UTC)
tamvid11

United States

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 41 post(s)

From reading through you other posts, you had mentioned a psych hold for quite a long time. Did you end up completing the psych request or was the request dismissed?
App:11/20
M&G:12/20
P2(W):12/20
P2(I):1/21
PSI:2/21
Poly:3/21
Med/BI:4/21
Med Clear:5/21
PFT:6/21 (pass)

FBItoHRT  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 12:08:03 PM(UTC)
FBItoHRT

I have no idea about the Psych. To the surprise of no one, they never told me anything. All I got from them was on Jan 27 "Your case has been forwarded to the FBI Security Division for final adjudication".

Then I get a letter in April saying I was denied. What really irritates me is that I was never asked for Personal Statements nor was I given the chance to explain myself or at the very least present my side of the 'issue', whatever that may be.
Godsfav  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 11, 2021 2:17:35 PM(UTC)
Godsfav

United States

I received the same by email stating, " Due to the nature of the FBI's law enforcement and intelligence missions, all candidates are required to meet rigorous employment criteria. Based on information we obtained during your application process, you do not meet the suitability standards for FBI employment. Therefore, the FBI has discontinued your employment application." I have clean record and when I informed my investigator about he was shocked and confused because he told me, " HE never found any negative on me."

Question: So they stopped your TS/SCI w/FSP processing?
When I checked mine it`s in process but the date was update the day I received the email from the security division.
FBItoHRT  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 5:09:41 AM(UTC)
FBItoHRT

I assumed they stopped it, why continue if the application has been DQd? I went to the application portal and the last update is:

Security Component: Investigation in Progress - 03/21/2021 5:07AM

The date on the letter is 4/21/2021. Maybe a typo on the month?

Also, Godsfav, how exactly did you file for FOIA? Send an email? Write a letter, print it, notoraize your signature, then mail?

Edited by user Wednesday, May 12, 2021 5:11:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1995JeepCherokee  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 11:22:31 AM(UTC)
1995JeepCherokee

United States

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Really sorry to hear that. Weren't you also turning 37 around this time? Perhaps they just classify aging out as not meeting suitability? Either way a bummer of a situation. Hopefully you can get some answers.
FBItoHRT  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 11:24:07 AM(UTC)
FBItoHRT

I turn 37 in July. Plenty of time to put me into a class or even do an age waiver
IAdreamin  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2021 7:38:49 PM(UTC)
IAdreamin

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I assumed they stopped it, why continue if the application has been DQd? I went to the application portal and the last update is:

Security Component: Investigation in Progress - 03/21/2021 5:07AM

The date on the letter is 4/21/2021. Maybe a typo on the month?

Also, Godsfav, how exactly did you file for FOIA? Send an email? Write a letter, print it, notoraize your signature, then mail?

My portal changed 4/15/21 at 5:07am. Received a denial email about an hour later. I never received a denial letter.

Did you not receive an email? I was able to request FOIA through a link at the bottom of the email. Got a letter dated 4/19 confirming my FOIA was submitted and they'd have to send me info through mail rather than through the FBI online vault.

I searched google for FBI suitability denial info because I also have no idea why I was denied. I found an old thread on here. I PM'd the OP and actually got a response pretty quickly. They submitted FOIA, waited a few months and got a CD in the mail containing their file. According to them, they didn't get any answer because a lot of info in the file was redacted. So I don't have any hopes to ever know why I was denied, but it's worth a shot.
IA Applicant
Applied: Sep 26 2018
PI: Dec 6 2018
PII: Dec 11 2018 (Jan 17 2019)
PIII: Nov 8 2019
Poly/Prints: Jan 2020
M1keBones  
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 5:35:06 AM(UTC)
M1keBones

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Sorry to hear man. Unfortunately, the FOIA most likely won't do much in terms of giving answers as I've heard much of the report is redacted.
FBItoHRT  
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 5:43:17 AM(UTC)
FBItoHRT

That's confusing. When my roommate was going through his clearance (not sure what the dept. was), the investigator spoke to me. He said that anything I say can be revealed back to the roomie if he does a FOIA request. I assumed my FBI BI would be the same way. Maybe its agency specific?
M1keBones  
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 5:55:55 AM(UTC)
M1keBones

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
That's confusing. When my roommate was going through his clearance (not sure what the dept. was), the investigator spoke to me. He said that anything I say can be revealed back to the roomie if he does a FOIA request. I assumed my FBI BI would be the same way. Maybe its agency specific?

I have personally never gone through the process, but know someone who has (with a different agency) and their FOIA did not bare much info. However, yes, it might be agency specific. I wish you the best of luck either way. I'm sure it sucks. Do you have applications with other agencies?

FBItoHRT  
#14 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 6:02:44 AM(UTC)
FBItoHRT

haha the DEA a long time ago, but that was before any of their tests. Really just FBI
FBItoHRT  
#15 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 10:28:22 AM(UTC)
FBItoHRT

Originally Posted by: IAdreamin Go to Quoted Post

Did you not receive an email? I was able to request FOIA through a link at the bottom of the email. Got a letter dated 4/19 confirming my FOIA was submitted and they'd have to send me info through mail rather than through the FBI online vault.

Can you send me the FOIA link they sent you? Would be alot easier than trying to write up a page and mail it to them. Did they include any instructions about the FOIA request?

IAdreamin  
#16 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 11:44:30 AM(UTC)
IAdreamin

United States

Can you send me the FOIA link they sent you? Would be alot easier than trying to write up a page and mail it to them. Did they include any instructions about the FOIA request?

Efoia.fbi.gov is where the link sent me. Gives you an option to file for paper or electronic. I did electronic and got the letter saying my request couldn't be electronic and everything would be paper.
If my memory is correct (I was a bit flustered) it prompts you to include your personal info and has a little box to type for why you're requesting. I put something like "requesting background check file/information due to employment suitability denial".

FBI.gov/FOIA should also have FAQs

IA Applicant
Dare86  
#17 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2021 3:21:41 PM(UTC)
Dare86

I am sorry, I know how it feels.
My application was terminated after almost 2.5 years. I knew it would be a long way. But I did not expect them to terminate me after spending so long and so much into my BI.
I was invited to an info session in July 2018 and applied with a field office Linguist position announcement the same month. I was asked to apply with HQ too in September 2018. They tested me for two languages in early 2019, I was instructed to fill out eQIP in July 2019, met with the investigator in October 2019, he asked for additional info, I sent it all in writing. I was polygraphed in November 2019 and logically passed it. I say logically - because after these three years I have never received a single formal update on my progress: 2 of my online applications are still in Under Review state, test results were never shared, even CJO was never provided (all I received was an email with "Congrats on your CJO, please, fill out eQIP"). My applications are still in Under Review mode, even after I received the not within parameters letter. Anyways, after late 2019 my BI obviously started, because my spouse and all but one reference on my eQIP were contacted. November 2020 I was asked to update eQIP since it's been older than 1 year. I also was scheduled for another polygraph, for the same reason. the date was conflicting with my other assignment, and I asked to reschedule but the field office assured me the poly would be quick "since it's just a follow-up". It was quick indeed, I was done in about an hour, very easy and no post-poly grilling, not even slightest concern expressed. A week after the field office contacted me, they said my poly was inconclusive and they wanted me re-take it with a travelling polygrapher. Then they cancelled it and said my file was under review. A month after I received the letter that my poly was not within parameters. The letter did not say whether I can reapply, whether I am denied clearance. FOIPA filed, but I doubt I would hear back.

Edited by user Thursday, May 13, 2021 3:22:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FBItoHRT  
#18 Posted : Friday, May 14, 2021 5:08:22 AM(UTC)
FBItoHRT

Whats the point of redacting information? I can understand if they wanted to hide FBI names and whatnot, but everything else is your life, so why wouldn't you be able to see all of it? Do they not want you seeing who said what about you?
FBItoHRT  
#19 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2021 2:27:59 PM(UTC)
FBItoHRT

Efoia.fbi.gov is where the link sent me. Gives you an option to file for paper or electronic. I did electronic and got the letter saying my request couldn't be electronic and everything would be paper.
If my memory is correct (I was a bit flustered) it prompts you to include your personal info and has a little box to type for why you're requesting. I put something like "requesting background check file/information due to employment suitability denial".

So how much money were you willing to fork over? It says its free up to the first 2 hours of searching. Fine, but what does $20 get me? $100 get me? Do these people work at a $7.25 min wage, or a more reasonable $15 wage?
IAdreamin  
#20 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2021 5:26:45 PM(UTC)
IAdreamin

United States

So how much money were you willing to fork over? It says its free up to the first 2 hours of searching. Fine, but what does $20 get me? $100 get me? Do these people work at a $7.25 min wage, or a more reasonable $15 wage?

That was definitely an interesting decision, especially knowing nothing of how it's done. I really want to know why I was denied, but didn't want to leave it at any amount and get a $1000 bill. I put $50. If it comes back and they charge and only give 1/2 the info, I'll just resubmit I guess.

The person I PM'd said their CD contained "a LOT" of pages and was free. So that's a good sign.

Edited by user Saturday, May 15, 2021 5:29:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

IA Applicant
Rss Feed  Atom Feed