Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
frog81  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2021 2:46:48 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I am noticing more and more positions with the USDA that state location is negotiable after selection on the announcement. Further within the announcements, I see the statement “This is a virtual position and location will be negotiable after selection.” So should I interpret this as being a true virtual position, i.e., work from home...?
FS0201  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2021 4:54:03 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 306 time(s) in 267 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frog81 Go to Quoted Post
I am noticing more and more positions with the USDA that state location is negotiable after selection on the announcement. Further within the announcements, I see the statement “This is a virtual position and location will be negotiable after selection.” So should I interpret this as being a true virtual position, i.e., work from home...?

You could, but it could also be similar to what the forest service was doing at one point, where the location was negotiable but it had to be from a FS office. That could still be classified as a virtual position...
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
thanks 1 user thanked FS0201 for this useful post.
frog81 on 5/15/2021(UTC)
frog81  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 15, 2021 6:08:32 PM(UTC)

Yeah, I saw/see those on and off and would agree. However, usually in the announcement it would say within a field office. Obviously a person applies and goes from there, but I am also a person that hates wasting other’s times if/when an interview would occur. Thanks for the input
ji_  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2021 9:49:26 AM(UTC)
ji_

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
In the old days when I worked for the Forest Service, virtual meant you could work from any Forest Service office if the hiring office and the office holding the real estate could come to terms. You probably don't have long to apply, so go ahead and apply and then ask the question if you are interviewed. Best wishes.
djp  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2021 4:58:04 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 172 time(s) in 169 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frog81 Go to Quoted Post

Work from home—-don’t assume that.

Many agencies have job at a regional or national level that are assigned to any location.

For e amp,e VA has a structure where you have local clinics, main hospitals, regional office (18 in the country) and national level. A job is posted for the regional office but they could work physically at any of the hospital locations. A region has 6-10 hospital sites. Some national offices have their staff HQ at one location and everyone is scattered.

Other agencies have similar structures where they work at a local offic for the national ir regional level.

They are paid based on their assigned duty location.

This is something to pay close attention to if you work from home vs a 20 min drive to an office in another county could mean a pay difference of 20%.

Right now I work in DC as my duty location. I live in the DC locality pay area where I get paid the same. If I was to,d that my job became virtual work from home where I could live anywhere, I don’t get to keep DC pay rate if I decided to work from say billings, MT st my home. Instead I woukd be paid based on the billings locality pay

Rss Feed  Atom Feed