Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Soup 2.0

We encourage your suggestions and ideas for ways we can improve your experience, and welcome feedback. While we are unable to respond to every comment and/or email message, we are listening!

Our user-generated content is extremely valuable to us, but we also recognize the problems that can occur as a result and are steadily working toward improvements. This is the place to share!

Please ONLY post topics here that are related to the FederalSoup interface and user experience. Any topic posted that is not related to the forum interface will be moved to the appropriate forum.

(HINT: If you don't know exactly where your topic fits, post it in the General Conversations forum.)

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Grin&BearIt  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 26, 2021 8:02:34 PM(UTC)
Grin&BearIt

Groups: Registered
United States

Question-

A great job at a great location just became available, but it is a GS11 and I am currently a GS12, Step 10. If I apply and am selected for the job, could I in the future apply for a GS12 job and qualify at the Step10 level that I had or do I loose the step levels once I go down to an 11?

Thanks!
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 27, 2021 3:17:49 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1206 time(s) in 964 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Grin& Go to Quoted Post
Question-

A great job at a great location just became available, but it is a GS11 and I am currently a GS12, Step 10. If I apply and am selected for the job, could I in the future apply for a GS12 job and qualify at the Step10 level that I had or do I loose the step levels once I go down to an 11?

Thanks!
Yes, you should be placed at GS12 step 10...make certain you have copies of your SF50s showing you at step 10! You can also apply for GS13 positions if you have at least 52 weeks TIG at the GS12 level.

So, hypothetically...you take GS11 at great location. 6 months later, GS 13 position opens in the same great location, you could apply to it.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Grin&BearIt  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 27, 2021 3:28:24 AM(UTC)
Grin&BearIt

United States

Thanks
Frank!
MovinUp  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 2, 2021 8:57:48 PM(UTC)
MovinUp

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
Question-

Thanks!
Yes, you should be placed at GS12 step 10...make certain you have copies of your SF50s showing you at step 10! You can also apply for GS13 positions if you have at least 52 weeks TIG at the GS12 level.

So, hypothetically...you take GS11 at great location. 6 months later, GS 13 position opens in the same great location, you could apply to it.

As much as I would usually trust Frank's advice, I advise caution. I was a GS-14 step 6, took GS-13, step 10 at a different agency. When I was promoted to GS-14, I landed at step 6 again. I asked if I could have my time in step back (8 months) for the next step and was told "no, the clock started over when you took the 13". Different situation, but be cautious.
frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2021 3:07:30 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1206 time(s) in 964 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MovinUp Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
Question-

Thanks!

As much as I would usually trust Frank's advice, I advise caution. I was a GS-14 step 6, took GS-13, step 10 at a different agency. When I was promoted to GS-14, I landed at step 6 again. I asked if I could have my time in step back (8 months) for the next step and was told "no, the clock started over when you took the 13". Different situation, but be cautious.
Time in step is different than returning to the step. And...step 10 really doesn't matter how many months you were at it...there are no more coming!

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
FedNole  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2021 4:42:56 AM(UTC)
FedNole

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
So, I just did this. I went from 13 down to 11 so that I could move back home while also having the opportunity to get in to 1 of the 2 agencies I have always wanted to work for. The job I took has and FPL of 13, so hopefully it’ll only be a temporary step back.

I did have a question regarding this situation though. Since I have TIG at the 12 and the 13, if my work warranted it, could my supervisor promote me directly from 11 to 13? Or would I need to stop at 12 again? Thanks for the response!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed