Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BrownsFan  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2021 4:40:42 AM(UTC)
BrownsFan

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Have been a -11 for a handful of years and after applying and interviewing a month ago I received a TJO. Email this morning informed me that my pre-employment conditions are satisfied and requested HR contact information.

To date, i have not informed my supervisor that I have been looking or received a TJO (i was considering doing so but everyone i talked with on here and in-person recommended not doing so).

The email from the new agency HR asked my availability for a start date and is allowing me to provide HR contact information next Tuesday.

While no Final/Firm offer letter is provided on the email...NOW is the time to inform my supervisor (understood that he will hear from HR but out of respect i want to prevent my team being blind-sided and get the ball rolling on my replacement).

Correct?
FS0201  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2021 4:54:13 AM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 306 time(s) in 267 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BrownsFan Go to Quoted Post
Have been a -11 for a handful of years and after applying and interviewing a month ago I received a TJO. Email this morning informed me that my pre-employment conditions are satisfied and requested HR contact information.

To date, i have not informed my supervisor that I have been looking or received a TJO (i was considering doing so but everyone i talked with on here and in-person recommended not doing so).

The email from the new agency HR asked my availability for a start date and is allowing me to provide HR contact information next Tuesday.

While no Final/Firm offer letter is provided on the email...NOW is the time to inform my supervisor (understood that he will hear from HR but out of respect i want to prevent my team being blind-sided and get the ball rolling on my replacement).

Correct?

Unless there is some reason that you don't want to tell your supervisor, I would recommend letting them know prior to HR reaching out... no point in having them caught off guard by being asked for a release date.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
thanks 1 user thanked FS0201 for this useful post.
BrownsFan on 5/28/2021(UTC)
BrownsFan  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2021 4:58:22 AM(UTC)
BrownsFan

United States

Thank you!

I've had an email in my work email draft folder, just waiting to hit send.

Perhaps my real fear...if pre-employment conditions are met and a date is being negotiated...should i have any fear that at last minute they cancel the position or the offer and i'm left at the alter with no future job and possibly a replacement at current job is in the pipeline???

Sorry...i drastically overthink....EVERYTHING

Originally Posted by: FS0201 Go to Quoted Post

Correct?

Unless there is some reason that you don't want to tell your supervisor, I would recommend letting them know prior to HR reaching out... no point in having them caught off guard by being asked for a release date.

ex-military  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2021 8:09:42 AM(UTC)
ex-military

Was thanked: 114 time(s) in 94 post(s)
Thank you!

I've had an email in my work email draft folder, just waiting to hit send.

Perhaps my real fear...if pre-employment conditions are met and a date is being negotiated...should i have any fear that at last minute they cancel the position or the offer and i'm left at the alter with no future job and possibly a replacement at current job is in the pipeline???

Sorry...i drastically overthink....EVERYTHING

Originally Posted by: FS0201 Go to Quoted Post

Correct?

I don't know what agency you're in, but in our agency, the job doesn't even get opened until the incumbent is out the door, for exactly that reason. Too many things can happen between TO and onboarding. So I would think the "replacement in the pipeline" should be a non-factor.
BrownsFan  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2021 3:13:28 PM(UTC)
BrownsFan

United States

Currently with DoD
FrankJr  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2021 5:20:19 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 129 time(s) in 119 post(s)
A tentative job offer is just that, tentative. Until you receive a firm job offer and a start date the process continues to be tentative. The process is worked out between the two human resources organizations or the one human resource organization, not management. The current supervisor has little if any input into the matter beyond requesting you stay one more pay period.

As a side note, the last job move was completed before the current supervisor processed the "release". He didn't bother reading emails and wasn't even aware of the process. HR called him and told him to process the release within the next hour.
BrownsFan  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 29, 2021 6:26:19 PM(UTC)
BrownsFan

United States

Originally Posted by: FrankJr Go to Quoted Post
A tentative job offer is just that, tentative. Until you receive a firm job offer and a start date the process continues to be tentative. The process is worked out between the two human resources organizations or the one human resource organization, not management. The current supervisor has little if any input into the matter beyond requesting you stay one more pay period.

As a side note, the last job move was completed before the current supervisor processed the "release". He didn't bother reading emails and wasn't even aware of the process. HR called him and told him to process the release within the next hour.

That makes complete sense. Please allow me to ask though...

No Final Offer received yet. I'm told the hiring agency HR must contact current HR to finalize release/EOD. And at that time is when a Final Offer will be provided to me.

What i know: Informed on Friday that all pre-employment conditions are met. I was asked my availability of starting on 21 June 2021 and to provide current HR contact info.

I have a email drafted telling my supervisor that I have a tentative offer which i have accepted but no final offer. Is this not a good idea??
GWPDA  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2021 6:37:18 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 566 time(s) in 466 post(s)
Don't send anything. Tell your supervisor in person, presumably Tuesday. If you're not going to see her/him, then call. HR will handle the formalities, you need to take care of the kindness. I know DOD tends to impose the 'military way' on civilians, but you are not military and you are not engaging in that stuff in this job change. You are personally letting your boss know that you're leaving.
Midwest Fed  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2021 10:12:11 AM(UTC)
Midwest Fed

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FrankJr Go to Quoted Post

That makes complete sense. Please allow me to ask though...

No Final Offer received yet. I'm told the hiring agency HR must contact current HR to finalize release/EOD. And at that time is when a Final Offer will be provided to me.

What i know: Informed on Friday that all pre-employment conditions are met. I was asked my availability of starting on 21 June 2021 and to provide current HR contact info.

I have a email drafted telling my supervisor that I have a tentative offer which i have accepted but no final offer. Is this not a good idea??

Sounds like the only reason a final offer hasn't been sent yet is finalizing the release date, which is an HR to HR function. As for telling your supervisor, as someone who has seen alot of employees come and go, I personally don't care if it's in person or an email. Regardless of how they inform me, I always ask for it in email anyway, so I have the documentation to move forward with backfilling the position. I know everyone does it differently, but i just can't see how in person versus email makes a difference, sometimes it's not possible either. In my current position, which I have been in since end of 2019, I have two bosses. I have yet to meet either of them in person since I began. I am in field, boss is in DC. So likely not apples to apples.
djp  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 1, 2021 6:28:04 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 172 time(s) in 169 post(s)
From my experience....

Formal offer comes before release date discussion occurs.
BrownsFan  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 2, 2021 2:11:04 PM(UTC)
BrownsFan

United States

So an update...

Monday morning i sent one email to my supervisor informing that I have received a tentative offer for a promotion, and that i plan on accepting the final offer once received, and i'd be leaving current office/agency. I added some context to thank for the opportunities and that out of respect for a turnover i wanted to offer this update as soon as possible.

He responded quickly to my email and was very sincere in his words and proud that i received a promotion. On Tuesday he followed up with a phone call and we chatted for 30 minutes. He reiterated that he was proud that i am able to secure a promotion and offered best wishes. He informed me that he informed his boss (the OIC of our team) which i had no problems with. I followed up in person with him later that day and again he was excited for me.

Both supervisors shared a similar message...they have no idea how it is that i execute the steps to complete the work that i do. I assured them both that i will provide training and a desktop binder to whomever they identify to me.
cyberfx1024  
#12 Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2021 11:10:29 AM(UTC)
cyberfx1024

United States

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 50 post(s)
So an update...

Monday morning i sent one email to my supervisor informing that I have received a tentative offer for a promotion, and that i plan on accepting the final offer once received, and i'd be leaving current office/agency. I added some context to thank for the opportunities and that out of respect for a turnover i wanted to offer this update as soon as possible.

He responded quickly to my email and was very sincere in his words and proud that i received a promotion. On Tuesday he followed up with a phone call and we chatted for 30 minutes. He reiterated that he was proud that i am able to secure a promotion and offered best wishes. He informed me that he informed his boss (the OIC of our team) which i had no problems with. I followed up in person with him later that day and again he was excited for me.

Both supervisors shared a similar message...they have no idea how it is that i execute the steps to complete the work that i do. I assured them both that i will provide training and a desktop binder to whomever they identify to me.

Sounds like you did the right thing here. The vast majority of time most supervisors will not care if you took another job as long as they are briefed accordingly
djp  
#13 Posted : Friday, June 4, 2021 7:12:38 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 172 time(s) in 169 post(s)
So an update...

They are generally going to be supportive of you being given the job offer.

If you do something very unique that others don’t do, I’m surprised no counter offer was made.

I’m hesitant on mentioning a tentative e job offer. I’ve personally had multiple TJOs fall through due to budget cuts or hiring freezes as well as some other oddities occur.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed