Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Office of Personnel Management

OPM is responsible for several broad categories such as employee recruitment and retention and oversees the overall federal workforce including managing, job announcement postings at USAJOBS.gov and setting governmentwide policies on hiring procedures.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fedgirl96  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 2, 2021 5:25:16 PM(UTC)
Fedgirl96

Groups: Registered

I was 26 minutes late to work this morning and my supervisor told me she may have to put it as AWOL because I did not call. I realize technically I could be classified as AWOL but I feel it's pretty extreme when I don't have a history of being late in the 18 months I've worked here. One previous incident a few months ago I was teleworking when I was supposed to be physically in the office but it totally escaped my memory during the COVID craziness. She verbally told me another incident she would have to write me up. Being in constant fear of a counseling hanging over my head I have been extra cognizant to do everything perfect and not make any mistakes. Otherwise than that, there are no issues with attendance, at least to my knowledge. In fact it's the opposite. I have use/lose leave and when I requested sick leave tor a scheduled surgery, I postponed it because the same supervisor had to move. Otherwise there is no pattern of being late. Granted I should have called but I assumed my supervisor would have realized my lateness could be a result of the thunderstorms and rain. Nonetheless I did not call because when I first arrived it was 9:15 but as I was paying the parking lot, the credit machine was down and I needed cash or find another parking spot...It then took another 10 minutes to walk/find an ATM to get cash...Meanwhile it's raining and I have no umbrella. Once this fiasco was finished, I was walking into the building and my supervisor texted me. I've been with the federal government 15 plus years, GS12 and have a never been in this sort of trouble. I'm absolutely beside myself. Every agency I've worked with, especially in large cities, delays are expected during inclement weather. Calling or texting didn't even cross my mind. My question is how bad is an AWOL counseling? Is there anything I can do to argue my case especially since I am certain I am probably the only person in my organization who is getting AWOL counseling being late. What happens if I am late again? I am trying to stay positive and use this as a learning opportunity to grow. I am fortunate to have a supervisor who communicates my shortcomings or points out every single mistake but she's the first supervisor who uses the most severe punishments for what I feel is minor mistakes. I appreciate the constructive criticism but it's wearing me down when there has never been anything positive said to me. Not once. Ever.

Also how does this work for timekeeping? Even though I was late/AWOL, I made up the time by staying later since this is pretty standard. Will the 26 minutes be Overtime since I am being charged with 26 minutes AWOL?
I've learned I will pull over in bumper to bumper traffic anytime I am even one minute late but I am worried she is trying to start a paper trail. Do I have a union? Generally I would own my mistake and move on but my gut instinct tells me she's trying to document a "pattern". I feel it's nit picking? Thank you for any guidance. My apologies this is so long, as I said before, I'm distraught over this. My biggest fear is knowing at some point I am bound to make another mistake and she will write me up to add one more paper to the trail?
FS0201  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 3, 2021 4:45:50 AM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 306 time(s) in 267 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fedgirl96 Go to Quoted Post
I was 26 minutes late to work this morning and my supervisor told me she may have to put it as AWOL because I did not call. I realize technically I could be classified as AWOL but I feel it's pretty extreme when I don't have a history of being late in the 18 months I've worked here. One previous incident a few months ago I was teleworking when I was supposed to be physically in the office but it totally escaped my memory during the COVID craziness. She verbally told me another incident she would have to write me up. Being in constant fear of a counseling hanging over my head I have been extra cognizant to do everything perfect and not make any mistakes. Otherwise than that, there are no issues with attendance, at least to my knowledge. In fact it's the opposite. I have use/lose leave and when I requested sick leave tor a scheduled surgery, I postponed it because the same supervisor had to move. Otherwise there is no pattern of being late. Granted I should have called but I assumed my supervisor would have realized my lateness could be a result of the thunderstorms and rain. Nonetheless I did not call because when I first arrived it was 9:15 but as I was paying the parking lot, the credit machine was down and I needed cash or find another parking spot...It then took another 10 minutes to walk/find an ATM to get cash...Meanwhile it's raining and I have no umbrella. Once this fiasco was finished, I was walking into the building and my supervisor texted me. I've been with the federal government 15 plus years, GS12 and have a never been in this sort of trouble. I'm absolutely beside myself. Every agency I've worked with, especially in large cities, delays are expected during inclement weather. Calling or texting didn't even cross my mind. My question is how bad is an AWOL counseling? Is there anything I can do to argue my case especially since I am certain I am probably the only person in my organization who is getting AWOL counseling being late. What happens if I am late again? I am trying to stay positive and use this as a learning opportunity to grow. I am fortunate to have a supervisor who communicates my shortcomings or points out every single mistake but she's the first supervisor who uses the most severe punishments for what I feel is minor mistakes. I appreciate the constructive criticism but it's wearing me down when there has never been anything positive said to me. Not once. Ever.

Also how does this work for timekeeping? Even though I was late/AWOL, I made up the time by staying later since this is pretty standard. Will the 26 minutes be Overtime since I am being charged with 26 minutes AWOL?
I've learned I will pull over in bumper to bumper traffic anytime I am even one minute late but I am worried she is trying to start a paper trail. Do I have a union? Generally I would own my mistake and move on but my gut instinct tells me she's trying to document a "pattern". I feel it's nit picking? Thank you for any guidance. My apologies this is so long, as I said before, I'm distraught over this. My biggest fear is knowing at some point I am bound to make another mistake and she will write me up to add one more paper to the trail?

It isn't that big of a deal, if all your supervisor did was code you as AWOL. Did you have permission to work the extra 26 minutes at the end of the day? Normally (in my experiences), if an employee is coded as AWOL for a period, they aren't allowed to then work extra.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
djp  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 5, 2021 11:00:26 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 172 time(s) in 169 post(s)
Your supervisor is a @#&

Where do you work?

Legally if you work on a campus likely a military base or a campus like a VA facility with multiple buildings the minute you step out of your vehicle you are covered under OSHA rules and considered an employer at work. Thus if you injured yourself walking to your building youare considered on duty.

I had this happen to me previously in my career. One time working at a VA campus as I’m going in customers needed assistance so I helped them. I was scolded for being late to my office.

In places like DC where many come in on public transportation and the random chaos it causes they are much morelienient in this. Thereisan u derstanding people work.after or work during lunch to make up the time.

Now you have cell phone restrictions while driving making calling in traffic illegal.

Fedgirl96  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 7, 2021 10:07:30 AM(UTC)
Fedgirl96

I misspoke. She gave me a letter of reprimand. She used a January incident where she said I was unreachable for over an hour because I did not respond to her texts, calls, or IM. I remember this incident clearly. I was actively working on a project and was focused on that. She seems to believe I was not working or something but this is definitely not the case, and we talked about it verbally. She mentioned other incidents that “she knew about but never said anytbing “ but I have no idea what she is referring too. We're all supposed to go in one day a week during COVID but I was the only one going in and the only one she holds accountable. She also annotated incorrect dates but I guess that is irrelevant. I didn't realize it went from a verbal to LOR or every mistake I made will be used against me. I guess basically I can't be late or anything ever again. In fact I'm worried anytime I make an error ill get a LOR. I figured if anything I would get some sort of counseling. Obviously my idea of minor infractions greatly differs her. I'll need to 100 percent tow the line in every area so I don't get another LOR or worse fired.
Fedgirl96  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 7, 2021 10:09:59 AM(UTC)
Fedgirl96

Originally Posted by: FS0201 Go to Quoted Post

It isn't that big of a deal, if all your supervisor did was code you as AWOL. Did you have permission to work the extra 26 minutes at the end of the day? Normally (in my experiences), if an employee is coded as AWOL for a period, they aren't allowed to then work extra.

I just worked the 8 hours because I wasn't really sure what I was supposed to do. But she decided a letter of reprimand was a better route.
Fedgirl96  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 7, 2021 10:22:18 AM(UTC)
Fedgirl96

Originally Posted by: djp Go to Quoted Post
Your supervisor is a @#&

Where do you work?

Legally if you work on a campus likely a military base or a campus like a VA facility with multiple buildings the minute you step out of your vehicle you are covered under OSHA rules and considered an employer at work. Thus if you injured yourself walking to your building youare considered on duty.

I had this happen to me previously in my career. One time working at a VA campus as I’m going in customers needed assistance so I helped them. I was scolded for being late to my office.

In places like DC where many come in on public transportation and the random chaos it causes they are much morelienient in this. Thereisan u derstanding people work.after or work during lunch to make up the time.

Now you have cell phone restrictions while driving making calling in traffic illegal.

That's good information. I work in a large downtown city federal building. The parking, paying to park, walking to the building is at least a 5-10 minute ordeal. That day I had to find cash since the parking pay machine credit card system was down. It was just an overall bad morning after a long weekend. Once I actually was in the building I stopped in the restroom as well to dry myself off from all the rain as well as run my hands under cold water. I have Lupus so my hands go numb and swell and ice/cold water helps. Apparently, I'm supposed to pull over on the highway and contact her. I'm at fault for really not thinking it was a big deal. Apparently she means business. I guess I thought there was a process not a verbal at performance evaluation and one more mistake led to a LOR.
frankgonzalez  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 7, 2021 11:38:45 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1138 time(s) in 907 post(s)
Your supervisor is a @#&

Where do you work?

That's good information. I work in a large downtown city federal building. The parking, paying to park, walking to the building is at least a 5-10 minute ordeal. That day I had to find cash since the parking pay machine credit card system was down. It was just an overall bad morning after a long weekend. Once I actually was in the building I stopped in the restroom as well to dry myself off from all the rain as well as run my hands under cold water. I have Lupus so my hands go numb and swell and ice/cold water helps. Apparently, I'm supposed to pull over on the highway and contact her. I'm at fault for really not thinking it was a big deal. Apparently she means business. I guess I thought there was a process not a verbal at performance evaluation and one more mistake led to a LOR.
I wouldn't conflate the OSHA requirements with the being at your desk ready to work to begin your day. Even being on a military base does not qualify you as being "at work", and there are circumstances where you can be injured on the base prior or post work, and not be covered by OSHA. For example, you arrive on base (or even the VA campus), and swing by the Starbucks first prior to heading to your office, trip and fall, injuring yourself. An argument can be made you were not on duty as getting yourself starbucks coffee is not a task required for your job. Even more so, if the coffee shop is in a different building than the one you work in. Totality of circumstances is looked at for accidents. Would you be in the place you were at the time of the accident as a result of your employment duties. In the parking lot for your building...yes. Across the campus at the coffee shop prior to you arriving to your work center? Probably not...especially if you are running late for your shift start time and so should be elsewhere at the time the incident occured.

While I wouldn't sweat an employee coming in on a rare occasion a few minutes late as I work in DC (and prior to being here, I was in Los Angeles and Denver...so similar situations) due to traffic or weather. However, if it is frequent, then it is no longer simply due to traffic. It is about the employee not leaving early enough to arrive on time to allow for some variation of traffic conditions (some days are worse than others) with the exceptional circumstances occurring (snowstorms, major accidents, attempted coups..that type of extreme stuff) being the rare exception allowing for being a few minutes late.

As far as the counseling...just make certain you call if you find yourself may be running late. If you don't have bluetooth in your car or a headset, then pull over when you get a chance to make the call PRIOR to when you are supposed to arrive.

You can also grieve the LOR (if you are bargaining unit, check with the union), or even talk to your 2nd level supervisor about this.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Fedgirl96  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 7, 2021 12:38:05 PM(UTC)
Fedgirl96

Thanks. I just read somewhere that OPM has inclement weather procedures which doesn't include charging an employee as AWOL. I am going to file a grievance because even if I was late 100 times before don't I have a chance to improve? I feel bringing up an incident from 6 months ago is ridiculous. None of my actions were done with malicious intent or even purposeful. She kept stating she “knew” I was late other times but didn't provide an example. When I asked her she said she “just let it go” I have no idea what she is referring too or how she would know unless she has her friends watching. The entire situation seems ridiculous. I don't feel an undocumented incident in January of not answering her text in 1.5 hours constitutes a LOR for being late because of weather.
frankgonzalez  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 8, 2021 3:07:18 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Thanks. I just read somewhere that OPM has inclement weather procedures which doesn't include charging an employee as AWOL. I am going to file a grievance because even if I was late 100 times before don't I have a chance to improve? I feel bringing up an incident from 6 months ago is ridiculous. None of my actions were done with malicious intent or even purposeful. She kept stating she “knew” I was late other times but didn't provide an example. When I asked her she said she “just let it go” I have no idea what she is referring too or how she would know unless she has her friends watching. The entire situation seems ridiculous. I don't feel an undocumented incident in January of not answering her text in 1.5 hours constitutes a LOR for being late because of weather.
The OPM weather procedure are when OPM issues directions as a result of the weather (delayed reporting, telework/admin leave, etc) for known extreme weather conditions such as snow storms (not simply snowing but extreme amounts occurring in a short period of time), hurricanes, and other dangerous weather conditions. Rain, in and of itself, does not trigger OPM's weather procedures.

If you have been late previously, they may have let it slide until it is 1 too many times or when other notice it (ie higher level management, coworkers complaining about it, etc). You are not entitled to "improve" as being at work on time is a condition of employment. It is not a performance issue (where you may be given a Performance Demonstration Period, previously known as a PIP to show you can meet standards), but a conduct issue where actions can be taken immediately if they can show the charge is factual. In your case, your duty hours are X to Y, you showed up more than 30 minutes past X without contacting your supervisor per your leave policies, etc, and so therefore were AWOL at that time. Would they fire or suspend someone for this? Probably not, unless this was a frequent occurrence, you had other issues you had been given adverse actions on (such as Suspensions), or perhaps if you were on probation.

I'm typically the 1st or 2nd person in my office (when we were going in, with our admin assistant being the person who beats me in most of the time) in the morning, and if I was running late, I'd still call in (I have my office general line and my boss' numbers on speed dial) and explain why I am running late, and my estimate of when I'll get there. And I still have Waze or Google Maps up showing my live traffic updates on the various ways I can take to my office to avoid potential issues whenever possible. Before I had a car with bluetooth built in, I used a headset to enable me to call hands free. Emergencies do happen, and it is better to call in than not when they occur.

FatHappyCat  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 8, 2021 5:23:29 AM(UTC)
FatHappyCat

Was thanked: 138 time(s) in 120 post(s)
Seems most of your questions have been answered but I just wanted to address this point:

Staying late to make up for lost time is not standard, it's actually the exception. Officially, you can't adjust your tour hours unless you're on a flex schedule and even then supervisor's approval is required.

OT: comes in 2 forms; planned and unplanned. Planned means that it is requested and approved in advanced. Unplanned are for factors that are unaccounted for such as last minute work given, work that took longer than expected to complete, someone called out and someone else has to stay, etc.

Your case doesn't seem to fall into either situation. The 26 minute is unpaid time so if you were authorized to work the 26 in the back end, you would still be at your normal time for the pay period.
DaVinci95  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 8, 2021 5:35:38 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 89 post(s)
I misspoke. She gave me a letter of reprimand. She used a January incident where she said I was unreachable for over an hour because I did not respond to her texts, calls, or IM. I remember this incident clearly. I was actively working on a project and was focused on that. She seems to believe I was not working or something but this is definitely not the case, and we talked about it verbally. She mentioned other incidents that “she knew about but never said anytbing “ but I have no idea what she is referring too. We're all supposed to go in one day a week during COVID but I was the only one going in and the only one she holds accountable. She also annotated incorrect dates but I guess that is irrelevant. I didn't realize it went from a verbal to LOR or every mistake I made will be used against me. I guess basically I can't be late or anything ever again. In fact I'm worried anytime I make an error ill get a LOR. I figured if anything I would get some sort of counseling. Obviously my idea of minor infractions greatly differs her. I'll need to 100 percent tow the line in every area so I don't get another LOR or worse fired.

It is always a bad idea to duck your supervisor’s call, especially when teleworking. But if she calls, texts, and IMs you, you should definitely contact her ASAP.
Fedgirl96  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 8, 2021 11:03:08 AM(UTC)
Fedgirl96

I am on a flex schedule which is why I worked the time I was late.

2. I didn't purposely avoid the phone call, at the time, I was working on the 20-page document, and my attention for an hour. Also IT was remote working on an issue I had which is why I didn't reply to her IM. She basically said I was lying and nobody remotely was working in my computer. I have the Skype messages between IT and I clearly showing communication they were working remotely on my laptop. I immediately returned her call.

3. I've had no issues being late in the past. We've teleworked the entire time I've been with this agency.

She actually listed it as “lack of candor” none of it makes sense. I thought there was process. I make mistakes but nothing was ever done malicious or intentional.

I don't want to paint this picture that I'm perfect I realize now I should have called and since the incident in January its never happened. But she has included every mistake as lack of candor as if I keep making the same mistakes.

I'm going to file a grievance and I guess it's to an SES. I hope at least it realized I didn't purposely make these mistakes.

I'm almost certain this is not how every person is disciplined. But I have no way of proving.

I really appreciate all the help. I honestly don't trust anyone in my agency. They are solely out for the best interest of the agency and not my interest. I don't want to cause more issues but this is my career. Ibe had no issues since 2004 and to be one step away of termination is a lot. A counseling would have sent the message loud and clear. A LOR shows me she's out to F$&$ me.
frankgonzalez  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2021 3:43:11 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

A LOR is still not adverse action (per the MSPB and EEOC), and can be used for 1 time events. Would I do so for one time being late by less than an hour with no prior counseling/emails for similar issues? Probably not...and we would have a serious discussion. As for not responding when teleworking (when you should have been in the office per your post)...the biggest issue for me would be you were not where you should have been. And without any calls or emails from you letting me know this, I would presume you are AWOL. I'd try contacting you too..and if you are not responsive, then some paperwork (at least a letter of counseling) would be forthcoming. As a supervisor, you are responsible for all the people who work for you. And if one is not where they are supposed to be (as in general location, not the specific desk. I'm talking in the office building vs home vs TDY location), and when I reach out to them via email/IM/text etc, and they only respond when I call (or after a few calls), then that is actionable behavior (it is a conduct issue as apposed to a performance issue).

Hopefully for you, your supervisor did not go through the ER/LR folks in HR, which would potentially render the LOR invalid and they may drop it to simply you were counseled and don't do it again.
smithandjones  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2021 5:07:21 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Your supervisor is a @#&

If your supervisor is telling you they "knew" you were late before but just let it slide then they are passive aggressive and insecure af.

A good supervisor would not let it slide if it was bothering them and then overreact. They would give some verbal warning or off-the-record convo first. If that was done, then I could see following up with the written reprimand.

I would begin seeking a different supervisor asap and/or confronting the situation with the supervisor to try to ensure they were being honest with me so we can avoid this type of stupidity in the future.

Fedgirl96  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2021 5:52:14 AM(UTC)
Fedgirl96

Thanks everyone. How long do I have to acknowledge and sign? I thought at least 72 hours. However my supervisor is saying basically immediately? I told her I wanted to seek an attorney before I signed anything and she said well youre only acknowledging it. I understood that but it's two pages I want to understand clearly what I am acknowledgeing. Is there a regulation outlining how much time a person has to acknowledge!
There's a change of command and I think thy want to slide it through before the new commander. That is what I feel is occurring.
frankgonzalez  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2021 6:51:50 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Thanks everyone. How long do I have to acknowledge and sign? I thought at least 72 hours. However my supervisor is saying basically immediately? I told her I wanted to seek an attorney before I signed anything and she said well youre only acknowledging it. I understood that but it's two pages I want to understand clearly what I am acknowledgeing. Is there a regulation outlining how much time a person has to acknowledge!
There's a change of command and I think thy want to slide it through before the new commander. That is what I feel is occurring.
What will happen if you don't sign, your supervisor will annotate that on the LOR and put it in your record any way.

The part you sign should say you are only acknowledging receipt and not signing in agreement. Something like this:
Quote:
I acknowledge that I received a copy of the above stated Letter of Reprimand and was given the opportunity to ask questions regarding its contents for clarification.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 9, 2021 6:59:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FS0201  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2021 8:09:20 AM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 306 time(s) in 267 post(s)

Sign it or don’t, it doesn’t matter. Once it is issued it is issued; the signature is just an acknowledgment. Don’t see the need to waste your time or resources on seeking guidance from an attorney.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
Fedgirl96  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2021 12:55:20 PM(UTC)
Fedgirl96

I have every intention on signing it, I was just wondering what the regulation timeframe stated. Why would I not use every resource or attorney over this? One more issue after this I could get removed. I'm fighting for my career.

I also understand there were a lot of things I should have done different, but nothing I did was maliciously. The 90 minutes I was “unreachable” wasn't because I was out messing around. I was actively engaged In something else. I've learned my lesson on my poor judgement.
DroneBee  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2021 1:18:30 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 104 post(s)
I have every intention on signing it, I was just wondering what the regulation timeframe stated. Why would I not use every resource or attorney over this? One more issue after this I could get removed. I'm fighting for my career.

I also understand there were a lot of things I should have done different, but nothing I did was maliciously. The 90 minutes I was “unreachable” wasn't because I was out messing around. I was actively engaged In something else. I've learned my lesson on my poor judgement.

I would not sign it - there is no requirement to do so.

Do not fight this - get another job. The handwriting is on the wall. Reprimand, then suspension, then removal - or reprimand to removal in some agencies. Even if you are good-as-gold they will make stuff up - it happened to me.

Get a new job!
Fedgirl96  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, June 9, 2021 4:26:46 PM(UTC)
Fedgirl96

Man I’m so sorry that happened to you. Oh the writing has-been on the wall. I am to nice and give ppl the benefit of the doubt. I have already applied to every open position in my field. Even applying for GS9s (I'm a gs12) just to get me out. But I am still going to fight it as far as file a grievance etc. I realize everyone thinks they are in the right and undeserving of things of this nature so to get an unbiased perspective, I allowed two former supervisors look it over who agreed unless I've done a total 360 in my behavior in less than 18 months, they see no reason why it was escalated to a LOR. In all my years I’ve never been in any sort of trouble. In fact the complete opposite I absolutely love the field I am in and very passionate about it. For whatever reason others have recognized this with various certificates, coins, bonuses etc. I have letters of recommendation from 3 star and 1 star generals. By no means am I perfect but I wholeheartedly feel this is unfair. I always read things like this happening to other people and think oh there’s something they aren’t saying. Because stuff like that can’t happen. Boy was I wrong. I guess the hardest thing about the entire situation is besides all of this, up until now I had the utmost respect and admiration for my supervisor. Maybe I’m just F$@&/$: clueless.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed