Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Macjason69  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 5, 2021 2:06:44 PM(UTC)
Macjason69

Groups: Registered
United States

We all know that discrimination is illegal. You can't be discriminated against because of race, religion, sexual orientation but apparently it's perfectly OK to be discriminated against because of appearance and or weight. I work for the Navy as a civilian Guard. I have been passed over for promotion to Police Officer because of my appearance and weight. I was told this during a meeting with my director of security. He told me that others were selected over me because of experience but 2 were selected over me that either have less or as much experience as I do. He then implied that appearance matters and that I need to be able to pass the physical fitness test. Clearly implying that I am too fat to pass the fitness test. Well, I have passed my fitness tests. Yes I am overweight. But I can pass the fitness test as well as be a good officer. The police and guards have the same fitness requirements. My union says I can't do anything and so does eeo. Please if anyone can enlighten me on what my rights are at this point I would appreciate it.
GWPDA  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 5, 2021 4:30:06 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 567 time(s) in 467 post(s)
These regulations explicitly govern your weight. They do for those within the serving military and they do you. If your weight is outside these standards you need to reconcile that with your position.
Macjason69  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 7, 2021 2:59:31 AM(UTC)
Macjason69

United States

If there are regulations regarding weight for civilian guards and police for the Navy, I have never seen or heard of them. The only thing we are required to do is pass our physical fitness test which I have.
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 7, 2021 3:34:42 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1157 time(s) in 924 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Macjason69 Go to Quoted Post
We all know that discrimination is illegal. You can't be discriminated against because of race, religion, sexual orientation but apparently it's perfectly OK to be discriminated against because of appearance and or weight. I work for the Navy as a civilian Guard. I have been passed over for promotion to Police Officer because of my appearance and weight. I was told this during a meeting with my director of security. He told me that others were selected over me because of experience but 2 were selected over me that either have less or as much experience as I do. He then implied that appearance matters and that I need to be able to pass the physical fitness test. Clearly implying that I am too fat to pass the fitness test. Well, I have passed my fitness tests. Yes I am overweight. But I can pass the fitness test as well as be a good officer. The police and guards have the same fitness requirements. My union says I can't do anything and so does eeo. Please if anyone can enlighten me on what my rights are at this point I would appreciate it.
Well....your EEO may be wrong. Obesity does fall within the category of disability, and based on your post, it appears you are being "regarded as" having a disability (obesity), despite meeting all requirements of the position. Unless they can point to specific job standards you have failed to meet to be a Police Officer, you may have a prima facie case. Of course, you only have 45 calendar days from being told you were not selected/discovering you were not selected to file your EEO complaint.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Navy Bubblehead  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 7, 2021 4:15:05 AM(UTC)
Navy Bubblehead

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 96 post(s)
If there are regulations regarding weight for civilian guards and police for the Navy, I have never seen or heard of them. The only thing we are required to do is pass our physical fitness test which I have.

I bet if you dig hard enough, you will find a BMI requirement for police and guards. Typically, that is Step 1 of the PFT. Fail that, and it doesn't matter how fast you can run or how many pushups you can do. You fail.
frankgonzalez  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 7, 2021 7:35:52 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Originally Posted by: ex-military Go to Quoted Post

I bet if you dig hard enough, you will find a BMI requirement for police and guards. Typically, that is Step 1 of the PFT. Fail that, and it doesn't matter how fast you can run or how many pushups you can do. You fail.
Even the military has processes for those who fail the BMI/Weight part of their PFT. Muscle weighs more than fat, so many powerlifters/body builders end up over BMI, yet have low body fat.

For civilians, it becomes more complicated. Unless they can show weight/BMI is related to the position, they will lose in the EEO arena. A fitness test is easier to connect, but weight isn't so easy.

SpartanWarrior  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 16, 2021 8:59:39 AM(UTC)

Hi,

Obesity is not considered a disability by the federal government, the part that would be a disability would be something that can result from obesity, such as Diabetes type 2. Also, obesity is not a protected class for discrimination by the federal government. This is what I found out in my research, I am not an official policy person!

Instead of trying to fight this why don't you just lose the weight? Wouldn't this be the easiest thing to do? Before my current position I use to work with Navy DoD police. Not everyone was the fittest I have ever seen, but I didn't see anyone obese or that overweight.

Last year at age 44 I weighed 365lbs. I now weigh 175lbs after 14 months of when I started. Trust me, I know it is not easy! I know it is hard and it seems like it can't happen. I am guessing you weigh a lot less than I did.

The solution is really simple, loss the weight. From what you said, it seems like being overweigh is your only obstacle. And it is the one thing that you have total control over. so just do it.
frankgonzalez  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 16, 2021 11:57:16 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Originally Posted by: SpartanWarrior Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Obesity is not considered a disability by the federal government, the part that would be a disability would be something that can result from obesity, such as Diabetes type 2. Also, obesity is not a protected class for discrimination by the federal government. This is what I found out in my research, I am not an official policy person!

Instead of trying to fight this why don't you just lose the weight? Wouldn't this be the easiest thing to do? Before my current position I use to work with Navy DoD police. Not everyone was the fittest I have ever seen, but I didn't see anyone obese or that overweight.

Last year at age 44 I weighed 365lbs. I now weigh 175lbs after 14 months of when I started. Trust me, I know it is not easy! I know it is hard and it seems like it can't happen. I am guessing you weigh a lot less than I did.

The solution is really simple, loss the weight. From what you said, it seems like being overweigh is your only obstacle. And it is the one thing that you have total control over. so just do it.
Well...the correct answer with regard to "Is obesity a disability?" is "Depends". https://www.employmentlawworldvi...pends-on-who-you-ask-us/

And, the use of BMI can be misleading. Someone like Dwayne Johnson or any major body builder is going to be in the 28+ BMI range, so technically they are "obese", so someone who is heavy can be extremely fit. Unless there is a bone fide requirement based on the essential elements of the position, using weight as a job requirement would likely fail at MSPB/EEOC/etc.

Comparisons to the military aren't valid as the military has different laws, etc that apply.

SpartanWarrior  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 16, 2021 12:50:12 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Well...the correct answer with regard to "Is obesity a disability?" is "Depends". https://www.employmentlawworldvi...pends-on-who-you-ask-us/

And, the use of BMI can be misleading. Someone like Dwayne Johnson or any major body builder is going to be in the 28+ BMI range, so technically they are "obese", so someone who is heavy can be extremely fit. Unless there is a bone fide requirement based on the essential elements of the position, using weight as a job requirement would likely fail at MSPB/EEOC/etc.

Comparisons to the military aren't valid as the military has different laws, etc that apply.

Hi,

I never compared military standards. Navy DoD police officers are civilians. For the Navy side, military 'police officers' are usually enlisted sailors called Master-at-Arms, commonly called 'MAs"

If you look at civilian jobs for the federal government, there are exemptions to ADA laws. For example, certain law enforcement positions (such as 1811 -Criminal Investigations, for example FBI agents) there is a max age requirement. For that job you have to pass visual and hearing requirements. That would violate the age, visual, and hearing impaired requirements of the ADA.

Even the 0083 - Police career field varies. If you want to be a Secret Service uniformed civilian police officer, there is a max age requirement of 37 (with veterans preference to 40). However, the same career field for a civilian Air Force police officer does not have an age requirement.

These requirements for jobs such as police officers and fire fighters exist in the non-federal public sector also.

I was 365lbs once, I know what it means to be obese. There is no way anyone of my weight then is "fit". Using your example of The Rock, I weighed 105lbs more than him and 5" shorter. Even if you are muscle bound with low body fat, the higher your body weight can still have negative effects on your heart, joints, and brain.

And lets be real, if someone was applying for a DoD civilian police job and looked like The Rock and was in his shape, they would not be complaining about his weight and appearance.

The original poster never stated his weight and height. I assume if he is muscle bound like The Rock he would have mentioned that.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 16, 2021 1:07:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

joejoetj  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 20, 2021 11:46:39 AM(UTC)
joejoetj

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It isn't going to sound nice however being obese is an indicator of your motivation and professional performance. It is something that you yourself are in control of and choose not to. It might not be your size explicitly but the fact that letting yourself go in such a manner opens the rest of your motivations etc to criticism. I say this as someone who at one time was myself over 100 pounds overweight.

If you are overweight you can lose the extra weight. Whether you believe me or not I have done it and know it to be true.
frankgonzalez  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2021 3:35:21 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Hi,

Hi,

I never compared military standards. Navy DoD police officers are civilians. For the Navy side, military 'police officers' are usually enlisted sailors called Master-at-Arms, commonly called 'MAs"

If you look at civilian jobs for the federal government, there are exemptions to ADA laws. For example, certain law enforcement positions (such as 1811 -Criminal Investigations, for example FBI agents) there is a max age requirement. For that job you have to pass visual and hearing requirements. That would violate the age, visual, and hearing impaired requirements of the ADA.

Even the 0083 - Police career field varies. If you want to be a Secret Service uniformed civilian police officer, there is a max age requirement of 37 (with veterans preference to 40). However, the same career field for a civilian Air Force police officer does not have an age requirement.

These requirements for jobs such as police officers and fire fighters exist in the non-federal public sector also.

I was 365lbs once, I know what it means to be obese. There is no way anyone of my weight then is "fit". Using your example of The Rock, I weighed 105lbs more than him and 5" shorter. Even if you are muscle bound with low body fat, the higher your body weight can still have negative effects on your heart, joints, and brain.

And lets be real, if someone was applying for a DoD civilian police job and looked like The Rock and was in his shape, they would not be complaining about his weight and appearance.

The original poster never stated his weight and height. I assume if he is muscle bound like The Rock he would have mentioned that.
I already stated that a bona fide connection to the job requirements would lead to an exemption (please don't try to imply I didn't already state that). In all the examples you gave (and I can give a lot more...pilot, electronics technician, EOD, etc all have visual requirements that would disqualify people), they are spelled out in the job standards and directly linked to the job requirements. Weight and BMI are hard to do so without running afoul of EEO laws (not ADA...as Age as its own laws, and the ADA does not apply to the federal government as we have the Rehab Act which predates the ADA). Is someone 5'6 and 199lbs with 6% body fat obese? Or are they less fit than someone 6'6" tall and 120lbs? And...so on. Then you get into potential racial and national origin issues...is the Samoan less fit due to being larger than the guy whose family is Somali? This is a topic fraught with legal land mines unless the agency spells out clear, defensible reasoning for specific requirements as they relate to the position.

As for those saying "just lose weight", without knowing more about the individual...your advice is moronic. Losing weight is not always easy depending on the reason for the weight gain. There can be metabolic medical reasons that may have to be addressed first (thyroid issues comes to mind right away), or they may be considered fine at their weight, but look bad in appearance (hey...anyone who spent any time in the military knows someone who met all the weight/BMI requirements, passed all the fitness tests, yet still looked slovenly in their uniform). That is a whole different issue to deal with...and not likely to be EEO.

SpartanWarrior  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2021 9:35:16 AM(UTC)

Hi,

Hi,

I already stated that a bona fide connection to the job requirements would lead to an exemption (please don't try to imply I didn't already state that). In all the examples you gave (and I can give a lot more...pilot, electronics technician, EOD, etc all have visual requirements that would disqualify people), they are spelled out in the job standards and directly linked to the job requirements. Weight and BMI are hard to do so without running afoul of EEO laws (not ADA...as Age as its own laws, and the ADA does not apply to the federal government as we have the Rehab Act which predates the ADA). Is someone 5'6 and 199lbs with 6% body fat obese? Or are they less fit than someone 6'6" tall and 120lbs? And...so on. Then you get into potential racial and national origin issues...is the Samoan less fit due to being larger than the guy whose family is Somali? This is a topic fraught with legal land mines unless the agency spells out clear, defensible reasoning for specific requirements as they relate to the position.

As for those saying "just lose weight", without knowing more about the individual...your advice is moronic. Losing weight is not always easy depending on the reason for the weight gain. There can be metabolic medical reasons that may have to be addressed first (thyroid issues comes to mind right away), or they may be considered fine at their weight, but look bad in appearance (hey...anyone who spent any time in the military knows someone who met all the weight/BMI requirements, passed all the fitness tests, yet still looked slovenly in their uniform). That is a whole different issue to deal with...and not likely to be EEO.

First of all, using a Samoan as an example of racial or national origin issues is just horrible. Samoans are not fat by nature. When Samoans adopted a Western diet with a more sedentary lifestyle, that is when they started gaining weight. Read this for enlightenment – (https://medicine.yale.edu/news-article/a-problem-in-paradise/)

There is no ethnic group that is obese by nature. When studies are done it almost always comes down to environmental factors. Even if some groups hold a small genetic component, it is usually negligible, and diet and exercise can correct it.

I spent most of my adult life morbidly obese. I spent time with mostly obese people outside of work. I belonged to every overweight group you can think of, like Weight Watchers, Overeaters Anonymous. I heard every excuse about being fat; like it is a family thing, my thyroid, my medication, etc., etc., etc. For 99% of obese people, it is all bull$hit and excuses. You talk about people having metabolic issues making them overweight, I had those do, like hypothyroidism, and I had Type II Diabetes. I had hypertension and sleep apnea. I had horrible joint pain. I developed cataracts from diabetes. I couldn't walk up a set of stairs without feeling like dying. I took seven medications a day. You know what changed all that, I changed it. I researched all I could, and then I acted. I changed my thinking and whole way of life. I take no medications, every single one of those conditions I had is gone (cataracts are trace, which means they do not affect my vision). I have no joint pain.

My point being is that I did all of that for my health, whatever it took. My job did not require me to be healthy. However, I got better at my job. Even though I had advanced degrees, I felt like I worked 10x harder to do complete those than I had to. After losing weight my brain fog disappeared and I obtained over the past year several certifications for work and my already great job performance is now outstanding.

I did that in my 40’s, I wasn’t a kid. I do not know how old the original poster is. I am going to take a guess and say he has a lot less weight to lose than I did. So, unless he is of that tiny, small, almost nonexistent group of people that cannot lose weight no matter what he does, he should lose the weight. Not just for work, but for himself. I feel for him, I really do because I know where he is. There was a career I wanted to do with my life, but being obese stopped it. I waited to long, it was 100% my fault, not my genes. And I have to live with that. I don't want the original poster to live with that regret.

I am not going to bother responding anymore. There is no point, I do not have the time to post every day, and it is irrelevant if you disagree with me. Have a nice day!

Edited by user Wednesday, July 28, 2021 9:35:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

frankgonzalez  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2021 11:52:16 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Hi,

Hi,

First of all, using a Samoan as an example of racial or national origin issues is just horrible. Samoans are not fat by nature. When Samoans adopted a Western diet with a more sedentary lifestyle, that is when they started gaining weight. Read this for enlightenment – (https://medicine.yale.edu/news-article/a-problem-in-paradise/)

There is no ethnic group that is obese by nature. When studies are done it almost always comes down to environmental factors. Even if some groups hold a small genetic component, it is usually negligible, and diet and exercise can correct it.

I spent most of my adult life morbidly obese. I spent time with mostly obese people outside of work. I belonged to every overweight group you can think of, like Weight Watchers, Overeaters Anonymous. I heard every excuse about being fat; like it is a family thing, my thyroid, my medication, etc., etc., etc. For 99% of obese people, it is all bull$hit and excuses. You talk about people having metabolic issues making them overweight, I had those do, like hypothyroidism, and I had Type II Diabetes. I had hypertension and sleep apnea. I had horrible joint pain. I developed cataracts from diabetes. I couldn't walk up a set of stairs without feeling like dying. I took seven medications a day. You know what changed all that, I changed it. I researched all I could, and then I acted. I changed my thinking and whole way of life. I take no medications, every single one of those conditions I had is gone (cataracts are trace, which means they do not affect my vision). I have no joint pain.

My point being is that I did all of that for my health, whatever it took. My job did not require me to be healthy. However, I got better at my job. Even though I had advanced degrees, I felt like I worked 10x harder to do complete those than I had to. After losing weight my brain fog disappeared and I obtained over the past year several certifications for work and my already great job performance is now outstanding.

I did that in my 40’s, I wasn’t a kid. I do not know how old the original poster is. I am going to take a guess and say he has a lot less weight to lose than I did. So, unless he is of that tiny, small, almost nonexistent group of people that cannot lose weight no matter what he does, he should lose the weight. Not just for work, but for himself. I feel for him, I really do because I know where he is. There was a career I wanted to do with my life, but being obese stopped it. I waited to long, it was 100% my fault, not my genes. And I have to live with that. I don't want the original poster to live with that regret.

I am not going to bother responding anymore. There is no point, I do not have the time to post every day, and it is irrelevant if you disagree with me. Have a nice day!
The issue I have is the term "obese" being used in loose ways. You may have been morbidly obese and managed to lose the extra weight. Congrats. I used Samoans as an example due to all the Samoans I know (and I know quite a few!) are all big. Only a few are what I would call obese. Most are simply big.

Obese for medical purposes used BMI as a guide. Problem with BMI is those who are body builders, power-lifters, basically anyone with high muscle mass, are considered obese using that standard.

I spent 22+ years active duty. Only reason I failed my last couple of PT test prior to retirement was I had destroyed my lower back (spinal cord repair, lumbar/sacrum fusion, etc) so the ONLY part I could do was the waist measurement the AF had as part of the overall test. 26" waist put my score too low, and with no other section to balance it out...I failed. I wasn't concerned as I already had my 20, and was planning on retiring once I reached Max Improvement level from my physical therapy. My command had no concerns either, so no paperwork was generated beyond waiving all future tests until I retired (which was about a year away) as I was on a profile for that time.

As for your story...sounds like you had uncontrolled diabetes, possibly brought about by being extremely overweight and lack of exercise, made worse by your thyroid acting up, which once you decided to make some life changes, it worked out for you. Now...how about understanding YOUR situation may not be applicable in the next person's situation. They may have medical issues that you would not have been able to handle (mental and/or physical) that contribute to their excess weight. They may also have been extremely fit, and not actually fat, yet when you look at their BMI, they are considered "medically obese."

And...don't worry about responding...I'm doing fine. I could afford to lose a few lbs, but my nerve damage in the my legs (plus the constant pain) make doing most exercise more painful that not (I do enjoy swimming though). I am just not going to judge someone for being large in stature as I have no clue what is going on in their life. If they ask for encouragement when they exercise, then I'm there for them. And the only time I express concern about someone's size is when it has a specific medical impact on their health.

GWPDA  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2021 2:18:27 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 567 time(s) in 467 post(s)
You are very kind.

in re Samoans. I worked Headquarters, USARPAC. Samoans are big people. My best favorite deal with Samoans? Seeing them as aircraft handlers in Anchorage - in Winter - wearing board shorts and slippers. Aloooooooooooooohaaaaa!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed