Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fedchick86  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 3:39:13 AM(UTC)
Fedchick86

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

I am super grateful to have been given an opportunity to work for the federal government but the job I have now is a literal nightmare. It started when my supervisor left for another fed job after I was there for only two months. When he was there, even though I quickly realized that the job wasn’t for me and that I was not told the truth about what this job really was, I had decided to stick it out for a year and then look into something else. I’ve later found out that this is a high turnover position as well. Now I literally have a supervisor from hell, but I will spare you the details. Basically my 6 month evaluation was done early and it shows that I meet expectations, even though my six months is technically next month. My question is, how bad would it be if I left this job after 6 months? What if I took a private sector job for the experience, and got back into the feds later on after I gained said experience so that I can get into the job series I truly want to be in? Right now I have no experience in the series I would like to work in (HR) so I would work for a year or two and then try to get back into the government. I went back to college later in life but I’m technically under the recent grad program. I’ve been applying for other fed jobs for months and I haven’t gotten anywhere. Will I be blackballed from federal employment if I leave after 6 months? Any thoughts or opinions would greatly be appreciated, Thank you for your time.
smithandjones  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 5:49:46 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fedchick86 Go to Quoted Post
I’ve been applying for other fed jobs for months and I haven’t gotten anywhere. Will I be blackballed from federal employment if I leave after 6 months? Any thoughts or opinions would greatly be appreciated, Thank you for your time.

If you are leaving for a better job whether in private industry or government that will be totally understandable to someone reviewing a resume later. If you hate this job and have a better offer it is a no brainer imho.

But realize that what you said about applying for other federal jobs for months and getting nowhere. It will be hard later as well because there are so many applicants. Does the job you have now lead anywhere you want to be? If so, it may be worth sticking out.

The bottom line is "years from now, which will you regret more - staying or leaving?"
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Fedchick86 on 6/10/2021(UTC)
Fedchick86  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 6:09:22 AM(UTC)
Fedchick86

Woman
United States

Thank you for your insight and reply. This job is a ladder position but it definitely does not lead anywhere I want to be. People quit left and right and it’s a very high stress and involved job. They didn’t tell me in the interview I would be on call 25/7 regardless of any holidays, vacation, etc..they are basically doing things to me that should not be allowed but because we are so short staffed (people constantly transferring out or quitting) they are appeasing my supervisor at all of his requests. His requests are coming at my expense with the excuse of “your the only one in the office with no seniority so you have to do (insert).” The office is completely toxic and I want no parts of it, I just don’t know if me quitting in 6 months could cause other Federal agencies to blackball me from future jobs or do they not care if someone leaves at 6 months if the job is not a right fit?
FS0201  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 6:54:24 AM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 306 time(s) in 267 post(s)
I don’t see you being black balled due to leaving after such a short time, just explain it that a better opportunity came up….
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
Fedchick86  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 8:47:35 AM(UTC)
Fedchick86

Woman
United States

I don’t see you being black balled due to leaving after such a short time, just explain it that a better opportunity came up….

FS0201 thank you. That was my biggest concern, would I be able to get back in. I also don’t know what this boss would say about me to a future supervisor so I was concerned,.
FrankJr  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 6:43:32 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 129 time(s) in 119 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fedchick86 Go to Quoted Post
I am super grateful to have been given an opportunity to work for the federal government but the job I have now is a literal nightmare. It started when my supervisor left for another fed job after I was there for only two months. When he was there, even though I quickly realized that the job wasn’t for me and that I was not told the truth about what this job really was, I had decided to stick it out for a year and then look into something else. I’ve later found out that this is a high turnover position as well. Now I literally have a supervisor from hell, but I will spare you the details. Basically my 6 month evaluation was done early and it shows that I meet expectations, even though my six months is technically next month. My question is, how bad would it be if I left this job after 6 months? What if I took a private sector job for the experience, and got back into the feds later on after I gained said experience so that I can get into the job series I truly want to be in? Right now I have no experience in the series I would like to work in (HR) so I would work for a year or two and then try to get back into the government. I went back to college later in life but I’m technically under the recent grad program. I’ve been applying for other fed jobs for months and I haven’t gotten anywhere. Will I be blackballed from federal employment if I leave after 6 months? Any thoughts or opinions would greatly be appreciated, Thank you for your time.

Hiring managers, private sector or public sector, don't pursue candidates with tenures under 12 months in prior roles. The investment in training is both time and money and both are wasted if the employee doesn't stick around for at least 12-24 months. Endless roles have 6-12 month training periods.

Managers come and go. Managers lie during interviews. Managers lie. Nothing new here...

Few think highly of new jobs the first 3-6 month. Endless fed new hires sit around doing nothing for 3-12 months. Enjoy the opportunity to work and gain experience; experience of value in future roles.

Everyone new hire receives a meets or is walked out the door based on not passing the probationary period.

Considering find a new job is often a 6-18 month process concerns about the current job are unfounded.

Focus on the career, not the employer. A federal job isn't a career; a career is accounting, information technology, lawyer, doctor, human resources, etc.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed