Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sams0810  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2021 8:06:39 AM(UTC)
Sams0810

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello, I am in my 38th year with the Federal Gov't and recently submitted my EQIP for the 10 year security clearance check. I hold a confidential clearance. I have no criminal record and my credit and finances are in order. I pulled my credit reports and they are spotless. My problem is, on my EQIP I disclosed that I voluntarily sought treatment/counselling for alcohol abuse. I admitted myself to rehab twice in 2019 and once in 2020. I also signed myself up for intensive outpatient counselling in 2020. Am I going to lose my clearance? I'm 57 but not ready to retire. I am no longer abusing alcohol. As I said, I've never had any alcohol-related incidents and have had zero interaction with law enforcement. When I drank I drank at home and did not go out.

Also, how far down do they drill into credit? Do they examine actual credit card statements even if the credit reports are spotless?
TheUnderverse15  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2021 10:37:07 AM(UTC)
TheUnderverse15

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sams0810 Go to Quoted Post
Hello, I am in my 38th year with the Federal Gov't and recently submitted my EQIP for the 10 year security clearance check. I hold a confidential clearance. I have no criminal record and my credit and finances are in order. I pulled my credit reports and they are spotless. My problem is, on my EQIP I disclosed that I voluntarily sought treatment/counselling for alcohol abuse. I admitted myself to rehab twice in 2019 and once in 2020. I also signed myself up for intensive outpatient counselling in 2020. Am I going to lose my clearance? I'm 57 but not ready to retire. I am no longer abusing alcohol. As I said, I've never had any alcohol-related incidents and have had zero interaction with law enforcement. When I drank I drank at home and did not go out.

Also, how far down do they drill into credit? Do they examine actual credit card statements even if the credit reports are spotless?

First part, probably not. Self reporting goes a long way in mitigation. No incidents at work or misconduct off work. Should be alright

Yes they look into credit reports and usually ask questions if you have delinquencies and unpaid Bills in collection.
someoldguy  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 18, 2021 11:20:49 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 1010 time(s) in 854 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TheUnderverse15 Go to Quoted Post
Yes they look into credit reports and usually ask questions if you have delinquencies and unpaid Bills in collection.
Credit reports are part of the new "continuous evaluation" process. And the only time I've heard of investigators wanting to see credit card statements is to prove you have a zero balance AFTER running up a lot of credit card debt or things like that.

Didn't know a confidential clearance was still a thing, but I think this is the second time somebody has mentioned it on these forums.

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Sams0810  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 21, 2021 4:01:02 AM(UTC)
Sams0810

United States

Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: TheUnderverse15 Go to Quoted Post
Credit reports are part of the new "continuous evaluation" process. And the only time I've heard of investigators wanting to see credit card statements is to prove you have a zero balance AFTER running up a lot of credit card debt or things like that.

Didn't know a confidential clearance was still a thing, but I think this is the second time somebody has mentioned it on these forums.

Confidential is how it's always been stated to me. I know it's not secret. Back in 2011 I really didn't have any red flags but they pulled me in for an interview. I'm worried because 2019 and 2020 were not good years for me but I got the help I needed.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed