Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hmmmm  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 5, 2021 11:00:49 PM(UTC)
Hmmmm

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Here you go for those who have been looking to apply.

https://www.usajobs.gov/...ob/ViewDetails/606583400

Good luck.
thanks 1 user thanked Hmmmm for this useful post.
goldscca on 7/6/2021(UTC)
AccountingGrad  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2021 11:06:56 AM(UTC)
AccountingGrad

United States

Sent in my application, although not expecting much since I just finished my BS in Accounting and am working on a MS right now and don't have much work experience. However I did just interview for a RA position so hopefully, that goes through if this doesn't and I can try again next time.
Hmmmm  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 16, 2021 4:51:42 PM(UTC)
Hmmmm

United States

This thread is for questions, comments, concerns for those applying, who did apply or who are thinking about applying to the current open announcement I linked to.

Hmmmm  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2021 8:04:20 AM(UTC)
Hmmmm

United States

DH238  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 23, 2021 10:25:03 AM(UTC)
DH238

United States

I got my BS in accounting last year and started as a TCO in March of this year, but I really wanted to be a SA or RA. Would someone have a chance if they have no investigation or auditing experience aside from holding a TCO position for 4 months and an accounting degree?
Woody87  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 25, 2021 12:37:52 PM(UTC)
Woody87

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Looks like they extended the announcement due to not enough applicants. Do we have any idea why there is such a lack of interest? This job announcement a few years back would have been huge. I applied for it, so hopefully I get considered!
thanks 1 user thanked Woody87 for this useful post.
Kdoren64 on 7/26/2021(UTC)
Kdoren64  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2021 7:45:30 AM(UTC)
Kdoren64

United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I applied within the first few days of the job posting and so far I’ve received an email saying that based on my answers, my application is suitable for further review. Since they’ve extended the deadline, will they wait to send out the next steps until those applications have been reviewed? I’m going to browse the old CI forum to see what the process was like, but it doesn’t sound like there have been many instances where the deadline was extended.
teeeeej  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2021 10:34:27 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DH238 Go to Quoted Post
I got my BS in accounting last year and started as a TCO in March of this year, but I really wanted to be a SA or RA. Would someone have a chance if they have no investigation or auditing experience aside from holding a TCO position for 4 months and an accounting degree?

You already qualify for RA. I am not sure what SA requires.
ScottieDutch  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2021 3:33:00 PM(UTC)
ScottieDutch

United States

Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post

So, this brought a question to mind. If you start as an TCO (or RA or RO for that matter), and you later on get an offer for SA, what are the probation period rules for moving to that position in middle of training/probation for the TCO/RA/RO? Just wondering if it causes conflicts or makes you unappealing to the agency?
LEOSA17  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2021 5:27:20 PM(UTC)
LEOSA17

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Just got an email yesterday for the realistic job preview tests. From what I recall when I took one of these a very long time ago for a tax examining clerk position, and from what I can remember it was basically a multiple choice for selecting the best responses to an upset tax payer. Anyone know what the preview for SA entails?
stepup  
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2021 7:02:55 PM(UTC)
stepup

United States

Originally Posted by: LEOSA17 Go to Quoted Post
Just got an email yesterday for the realistic job preview tests. From what I recall when I took one of these a very long time ago for a tax examining clerk position, and from what I can remember it was basically a multiple choice for selecting the best responses to an upset tax payer. Anyone know what the preview for SA entails?

Is anyone getting these emails that applied to the most recent announcement?
teeeeej  
#12 Posted : Friday, July 30, 2021 5:36:05 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ScottieDutch Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post

So, this brought a question to mind. If you start as an TCO (or RA or RO for that matter), and you later on get an offer for SA, what are the probation period rules for moving to that position in middle of training/probation for the TCO/RA/RO? Just wondering if it causes conflicts or makes you unappealing to the agency?

Nope, they don't seem to care if people move around.
Kdoren64  
#13 Posted : Friday, July 30, 2021 7:07:55 AM(UTC)
Kdoren64

United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stepup Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: LEOSA17 Go to Quoted Post

Is anyone getting these emails that applied to the most recent announcement?

Yes. I applied around 7/8 and received an email yesterday, 7/29, with the link for the realistic job video along with the assessments.
Sterd  
#14 Posted : Friday, July 30, 2021 11:15:35 AM(UTC)
Sterd

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Woody87 Go to Quoted Post
Looks like they extended the announcement due to not enough applicants. Do we have any idea why there is such a lack of interest? This job announcement a few years back would have been huge. I applied for it, so hopefully I get considered!

I applied last time and got told by a CI agent that without the degree it would be impossible to get on board. (75% through BS) This is with half a decade of LE experience. They seem to be pretty picky of who they want. Just my .02
MilMama  
#15 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2021 5:26:06 PM(UTC)
MilMama

United States

Hello All,

Just applied, but have some questions if anyone knows. What is the promotion timeline for this position? Has anyone here been to FLETC before? Thanks!
MilMama  
#16 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2021 5:28:26 PM(UTC)
MilMama

United States

Work/life balance is surely an issue. And people with accounting experience can find teleworking positions in this climate.
Hmmmm  
#17 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2021 9:55:36 PM(UTC)
Hmmmm

United States

Originally Posted by: MilMama Go to Quoted Post
Hello All,

Just applied, but have some questions if anyone knows. What is the promotion timeline for this position? Has anyone here been to FLETC before? Thanks!

1 year minimum from 7->9->11->12->13. So if you start as a 7 you could be a 13 in four years. If you start as a 9 then it can be done in 3 years. Many of us on here have been to FLETC. In recent years training has often been interrupted for various reasons so a lot of us have had very different experiences.

Hmmmm  
#18 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2021 10:24:26 PM(UTC)
Hmmmm

United States

Work/life balance is surely an issue. And people with accounting experience can find teleworking positions in this climate.

I'm not sure why you would say work/life balance is an issue. For some agents maybe but if we are being honest with ourselves, we have a pretty good situation as far as federal gigs go.

We have been mandatory telework since March 2020. I go into the office occasionally but only when I need to. Applications across all levels of LE in the US are way down and have been for some time. CI ran a year long announcement that ended in November so there shouldn't be a large backlog of people waiting to apply. Prior to that there were multiple announcements in the preceding years. So even most people who it took more than one time applying have likely been hired or moved on to something else. Most of the need for new agents is concentrated in locations where most applicants would rather not live/work for various reasons. There are PODs hiring that will have more openings than applicants during this announcement. Other PODS will have a fair bit of competition for one or a few openings. With COVID the idea of going to FLETC for 6 months or more is far less tolerable or enticing to some people. I've heard the chicken isn't what it used to be anymore so who knows how many prospective applicants that screens out.

MilMama  
#19 Posted : Sunday, August 1, 2021 6:51:52 AM(UTC)
MilMama

United States

Originally Posted by: Hmmmm Go to Quoted Post
Hello All,

1 year minimum from 7->9->11->12->13. So if you start as a 7 you could be a 13 in four years. If you start as a 9 then it can be done in 3 years. Many of us on here have been to FLETC. In recent years training has often been interrupted for various reasons so a lot of us have had very different experiences.

Ah that's what I figured- THANK YOU! I went to FLETC in 2015, sadly no CITP, but I guess there's no question to ask with the changes due to COVID.
MilMama  
#20 Posted : Sunday, August 1, 2021 7:00:43 AM(UTC)
MilMama

United States

Originally Posted by: Hmmmm Go to Quoted Post

I'm not sure why you would say work/life balance is an issue. For some agents maybe but if we are being honest with ourselves, we have a pretty good situation as far as federal gigs go.

We have been mandatory telework since March 2020. I go into the office occasionally but only when I need to. Applications across all levels of LE in the US are way down and have been for some time. CI ran a year long announcement that ended in November so there shouldn't be a large backlog of people waiting to apply. Prior to that there were multiple announcements in the preceding years. So even most people who it took more than one time applying have likely been hired or moved on to something else. Most of the need for new agents is concentrated in locations where most applicants would rather not live/work for various reasons. There are PODs hiring that will have more openings than applicants during this announcement. Other PODS will have a fair bit of competition for one or a few openings. With COVID the idea of going to FLETC for 6 months or more is far less tolerable or enticing to some people. I've heard the chicken isn't what it used to be anymore so who knows how many prospective applicants that screens out.

I say work/life balance is an issue, because of the 50 hour min and on call nature of this position. Specifically, as a parent and having worked in LE, weekends are a nightmare for childcare. I assume all fed LE jobs are the same in the most mandatory OT is going to fall on the lower grades that hit their caps in more time so that's where that really comes from.

Personally, FLETC may be easier for me as it was weekends off and less than 40 hours a week from what I remember. I never got more sleep in my life. My prior LE job did not allow telework at all even when COVID kicked off. Learning that this position allows for it is helpful in decision making.

But, I'm sure all of these reasons and other reasons we haven't thought of are deterring applications.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed