Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

18 Pages«<1011121314>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Woody87  
#221 Posted : Saturday, December 11, 2021 11:00:53 AM(UTC)
Woody87

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hopefulgrad2020 Go to Quoted Post
If I reject my TO, can I apply to another announcement and still be hired?

Why do you want to reject your TO?
B0z21  
#222 Posted : Saturday, December 11, 2021 11:20:17 AM(UTC)
B0z21

Originally Posted by: Woody87 Go to Quoted Post

sick parent
Hmmmm  
#223 Posted : Saturday, December 11, 2021 11:31:03 AM(UTC)
Hmmmm

United States

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Yes you can apply again later. When you start you earn GL pay until you get to GS-11 at which point you are on the GS pay scale. GL is a tiny bit higher pay compared to GS for similar grades. I earned OT one time and would not expect to earn it again. It is rare. I worked through last weekend and didn't bother trying to get OT approved. Half the work would have been LEAP. The other half was clearly pre-scheduled but by the time the paperwork would have been approved it would have been too late. Once you're grade is 12 or higher (don't remember exactly), OT is paid at straight time anyway.

Unless IRS starts to work protection details for USSS again I wouldn't expect to make OT at any point in your career. It could happen but don't plan on it.

Edited by user Saturday, December 11, 2021 11:31:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HockeySticks  
#224 Posted : Saturday, December 11, 2021 5:26:45 PM(UTC)
HockeySticks

Originally Posted by: IRSSpecialAgent_1Day Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: HockeySticks Go to Quoted Post
Anyone wear glasses/contacts? If so, what’s your prescription value? The requirement in the posting is 20/200 uncorrected and I’m probably right around there (corrected vision is 20/20 though). Is there actually nothing about the uncorrected vision requirement being waived even if you have worn soft contact lenses for 10+ years? Agencies like the FBI, HSI, etc. waive that requirement if you wear soft contact lenses.

I wear glasses and contacts (not together lol) and originally failed vision. There is no waiver of uncorrected vision for IRS. It's 20/200 regardless of how long you've worn contacts. If you fail, you have an opportunity for your personal doctor to retest you and sign off on your corrected or uncorrected vision. I somehow failed my corrected vision test. My doctor gave me a stronger glasses prescription and it was an easy fix. Short of lasik, I'm not sure what the fix is for uncorrected vision.

Congrats to those that have received offers. Nowadays you go to your POD first and wait for a class to open up at FLETC. If you're lucky, you'll almost immediately go to the academy. I'll be in FLETC for 3 weeks in Feb for another class. Excited to see how the new recruits are looking these days.

Do you know if that is the same for essentially everything? If you fail the uncorrected eye exam, you can have your doctor retest you? If you fail the hearing exam, you can have your doctor retest you? If you fail the blood test, you can have your doctor retest you? I am curious if there are any automatic disqualifiers to be aware of. Thank you for your insight.

Woody87  
#225 Posted : Saturday, December 11, 2021 6:46:00 PM(UTC)
Woody87

United States

sick parent

Sorry to hear that.
B0z21  
#226 Posted : Saturday, December 11, 2021 8:23:12 PM(UTC)
B0z21

sick parent

Sorry to hear that.

Thanks. I got my last choice, and it feels like too far right now.
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#227 Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2021 8:13:09 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 73 post(s)
Originally Posted by: IRSSpecialAgent_1Day Go to Quoted Post
Anyone wear glasses/contacts? If so, what’s your prescription value? The requirement in the posting is 20/200 uncorrected and I’m probably right around there (corrected vision is 20/20 though). Is there actually nothing about the uncorrected vision requirement being waived even if you have worn soft contact lenses for 10+ years? Agencies like the FBI, HSI, etc. waive that requirement if you wear soft contact lenses.

I wear glasses and contacts (not together lol) and originally failed vision. There is no waiver of uncorrected vision for IRS. It's 20/200 regardless of how long you've worn contacts. If you fail, you have an opportunity for your personal doctor to retest you and sign off on your corrected or uncorrected vision. I somehow failed my corrected vision test. My doctor gave me a stronger glasses prescription and it was an easy fix. Short of lasik, I'm not sure what the fix is for uncorrected vision.

Congrats to those that have received offers. Nowadays you go to your POD first and wait for a class to open up at FLETC. If you're lucky, you'll almost immediately go to the academy. I'll be in FLETC for 3 weeks in Feb for another class. Excited to see how the new recruits are looking these days.

Do you know if that is the same for essentially everything? If you fail the uncorrected eye exam, you can have your doctor retest you? If you fail the hearing exam, you can have your doctor retest you? If you fail the blood test, you can have your doctor retest you? I am curious if there are any automatic disqualifiers to be aware of. Thank you for your insight.

You can follow up with your personal doctor if you fail something on the medical. It doesn't mean they will accept the documentation the doctor has provided and they can still fail you. For example, you fail the color blind test; you can't just have your doctor write a letter saying you passed their color blind test. If it's not to their satisfaction, they may retest you for confirmation or flat out fail you. My vision issue was an easy fix for a stronger glasses prescription.
2123_Actual  
#228 Posted : Friday, December 17, 2021 7:30:22 AM(UTC)
2123_Actual

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Did anyone else apply to the most recent announcement that closes 12/19/2021?

My timeline so far:
· Submitted application on USA Jobs on 12/16/2021, almost immediately got an email to take the online assessment.
· Took the assessment the same day on 12/16/2021. Have not gotten results back yet as of 12/17/2021.
AnApplicant  
#229 Posted : Friday, December 17, 2021 8:34:03 AM(UTC)
AnApplicant

United States

Originally Posted by: OtherKD Go to Quoted Post
Did anyone else apply to the most recent announcement that closes 12/19/2021?

My timeline so far:
· Submitted application on USA Jobs on 12/16/2021, almost immediately got an email to take the online assessment.
· Took the assessment the same day on 12/16/2021. Have not gotten results back yet as of 12/17/2021.

Did so on 12/5. Same with assessment. Nothing yet.
dubyac  
#230 Posted : Friday, December 17, 2021 9:08:30 AM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AC387 Go to Quoted Post
Applied back in August and accepted the TO yesterday.

Does anyone know when we should anticipate going to FLETC?

Could take a month to six weeks to get to the FO. Depending on availability you could go right to FLETC a few days after your start date.

The trend has been shorter times between starting and going to FLETC
thanks 1 user thanked dubyac for this useful post.
AC387 on 12/17/2021(UTC)
SeekingNewOpps  
#231 Posted : Sunday, December 19, 2021 3:22:36 PM(UTC)
SeekingNewOpps

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Applied - Aug 6, Received TO - Dec 16! For those asking, it's a Public Trust/Tier 4 clearance.
Woody87  
#232 Posted : Sunday, December 19, 2021 3:28:11 PM(UTC)
Woody87

United States

How willing is HR to push back start dates? I’m in a position which might require pushing back my start date into late spring or else I might have to buy out my contract.
HockeySticks  
#233 Posted : Sunday, December 19, 2021 4:06:04 PM(UTC)
HockeySticks

Is there any harm in applying for the current announcement if we already received a TO from the prior announcement (in case of budget issues, etc.)?
dubyac  
#234 Posted : Sunday, December 19, 2021 7:32:18 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

How willing is HR to push back start dates? I’m in a position which might require pushing back my start date into late spring or else I might have to buy out my contract.

That's more of a discussion for your field office/SSA. They're usually pretty flexible a couple weeks either way if it doesn't mess up FLETC dates, but if you're talking pushing back for a few months that may be more difficult.
FrankJr  
#235 Posted : Tuesday, December 21, 2021 4:49:04 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 131 time(s) in 121 post(s)

The flexibility is prior to the start of the training and after the end of the training, but not during the training. The training is six months. Accepting the job is accepting the training schedule.
HockeySticks  
#236 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2021 7:42:58 AM(UTC)
HockeySticks

Do medical results come through UPS regardless if there are follow ups or not?
dubyac  
#237 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2021 7:44:37 AM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Do medical results come through UPS regardless if there are follow ups or not?

Yes
Woody87  
#238 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2021 1:42:35 PM(UTC)
Woody87

United States

Originally Posted by: FrankJr Go to Quoted Post

The flexibility is prior to the start of the training and after the end of the training, but not during the training. The training is six months. Accepting the job is accepting the training schedule.

Yeah I’m talking about flexibility with actually starting the position. I hear we are in the office a few months prior to FLETC, so that’s what I’m talking about. I’m totally fine with the training schedule. My issue is having to resign in the middle of the school year. I can’t afford to buy out my contract, so if my district demands that and the start date isn’t flexible, I don’t have many options.
dubyac  
#239 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2021 2:57:30 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Originally Posted by: FrankJr Go to Quoted Post

Yeah I’m talking about flexibility with actually starting the position. I hear we are in the office a few months prior to FLETC, so that’s what I’m talking about. I’m totally fine with the training schedule. My issue is having to resign in the middle of the school year. I can’t afford to buy out my contract, so if my district demands that and the start date isn’t flexible, I don’t have many options.

The last few that have gone out to FLETC have had a week or two in the office now. Bring it up with your field office mentor or SSA to see what options there are.
thanks 1 user thanked dubyac for this useful post.
Woody87 on 12/27/2021(UTC)
HockeySticks  
#240 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2021 4:49:40 PM(UTC)
HockeySticks

Do you know when the FLETC start dates are for 2022? I heard there is a class starting on 1/18/22. Any news on any other class dates the IRS has set up?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed