Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

9 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sambajuice  
#41 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2021 11:45:02 AM(UTC)
sambajuice

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: professorx Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: AccountingGrad Go to Quoted Post
So apparently I did not meet the minimum required score for the Job Simulation assessment, which surprised me, considering I did for the Revenue Agent one which is similar in its testing for logic, reasoning and problem solving. This is pretty disappointing, especially since I feel I answered logically and am now barred for a year until I can try again, and am not sure what incorrect answers I had. Oh well, try again next time I guess.

There's a different mindset when it comes to law enforcement and corrections occupations. I've heard that ROs and RAs approach things differently, so RO logic and reasoning may be more transferable to criminal law enforcement assessments. I recommend applying for a Bureau of Prisons position because they sometimes explain what causes applicants to fail their assessment, and the interview (if you pass the assessment) gives you insight to what kinds of answers they're looking for.

Agreed about the different mindset. I’m an RO and I received a passed email. The assessment wasn’t really similar to the RO assessment but I could see they are looking for the same qualities. I think it might serve CI well to recruit more from the RO side. It doesn’t take too long to get the accounting credits and going out into the field to collect gives RO’s a certain thick skin that would lend itself well to the CI role.
LEOSA17  
#42 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2021 12:33:19 PM(UTC)
LEOSA17

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Thanks for the heads up, I just checked my email and passed the job simulation. Now Im just hoping they take my credits for accounting, even if they are all 100 and 200 level. Does anyone know if all the files had to be in pdf form? My community college transcripts were only available as a word document
professorx  
#43 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2021 12:42:11 PM(UTC)
professorx

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LEOSA17 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the heads up, I just checked my email and passed the job simulation. Now Im just hoping they take my credits for accounting, even if they are all 100 and 200 level. Does anyone know if all the files had to be in pdf form? My community college transcripts were only available as a word document

I can't remember, but I think there would have been an error if the file format wasn't accepted. For future reference, there's a free version of Adobe, and you can choose "Print to PDF" in Word to covert the document.
AccountingGrad  
#44 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2021 12:46:24 PM(UTC)
AccountingGrad

United States

Originally Posted by: sambajuice Go to Quoted Post
So apparently I did not meet the minimum required score for the Job Simulation assessment, which surprised me, considering I did for the Revenue Agent one which is similar in its testing for logic, reasoning and problem solving. This is pretty disappointing, especially since I feel I answered logically and am now barred for a year until I can try again, and am not sure what incorrect answers I had. Oh well, try again next time I guess.

There's a different mindset when it comes to law enforcement and corrections occupations. I've heard that ROs and RAs approach things differently, so RO logic and reasoning may be more transferable to criminal law enforcement assessments. I recommend applying for a Bureau of Prisons position because they sometimes explain what causes applicants to fail their assessment, and the interview (if you pass the assessment) gives you insight to what kinds of answers they're looking for.

Agreed about the different mindset. I’m an RO and I received a passed email. The assessment wasn’t really similar to the RO assessment but I could see they are looking for the same qualities. I think it might serve CI well to recruit more from the RO side. It doesn’t take too long to get the accounting credits and going out into the field to collect gives RO’s a certain thick skin that would lend itself well to the CI role.

Funny enough I got best qualified for RO as well, but probably going to choose RA due to the higher GS scale cap. I will look into the BOP assessment.
professorx  
#45 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2021 12:57:17 PM(UTC)
professorx

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Funny enough I got best qualified for RO as well, but probably going to choose RA due to the higher GS scale cap. I will look into the BOP assessment.

The RO assessment was easier than the SA assessment, in my opinion, but actually being in an enforcement role will help someone pass those types of tests. I worked for state and local law enforcement agencies before coming to the federal government. I wish I could give more specifics.
sambajuice  
#46 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2021 1:43:38 PM(UTC)
sambajuice

Sounds like you’re young enough and can apply again for CI at the next announcement. With the vacancy extension for this one, doesn’t sound like CI got the number of applicants they wanted anyway. They’ll probably have another announcement for FY22. Good luck with the RA position!
Mountain_AC  
#47 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2021 1:56:55 PM(UTC)
Mountain_AC

United States

Can anyone give info on how relevant the location preference was on the application and how much it plays into placement?
dubyac  
#48 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2021 2:01:59 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mountain_AC Go to Quoted Post
Can anyone give info on how relevant the location preference was on the application and how much it plays into placement?

What do you mean by placement? As in how relevant does your POD selection play into getting an offer?
Mountain_AC  
#49 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2021 2:14:18 PM(UTC)
Mountain_AC

United States

Originally Posted by: dubyac Go to Quoted Post

What do you mean by placement? As in how relevant does your POD selection play into getting an offer?

Ignore my ignorance if I misspeak, but yes how much does the preference of destination noted on the application play into getting an offer. Also how likely are you to get one of those preferred locations.
dubyac  
#50 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2021 2:28:22 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dubyac Go to Quoted Post

Ignore my ignorance if I misspeak, but yes how much does the preference of destination noted on the application play into getting an offer. Also how likely are you to get one of those preferred locations.

Overall your location preference is largely irrelevant. You’ll be interviewed at the field office level.

Now if all of your location preferences were in one field office, then it could be up in the air. If you listed all over the country, then the field office interviewing you may give a clue.

Either way, unless they have changed the process, you won’t know location until you receive your tentative offer, which is after all the tests and interviews but before medical or drug test.

Everywhere needs manpower, so you should expect to receive one of your choices.
Hmmmm  
#51 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2021 5:37:57 PM(UTC)
Hmmmm

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Location is not nothing. As I have previously written there are locations that will have openings that go unfilled. That means if you are good enough to get an offer and applied to one of those, you would have received an offer. Compare that to a location that has few openings but many many more qualified applicants. Well then you have to be one of the few chosen for a limited number of offers. So if all you choose are locations that don't need that many people but are popular among applicants you will be competing with others for an offer. If you choose a location where they aren't going to fill all their openings then you are competing with yourself. In that case you are either hireable or not. So in that sense location does matter a great deal.

As far as your list of five locations goes, we have been told repeatedly that applicants will only be considered for locations they have selected. Not sure if that is holding true but there is good reason for it. I know within my field office it has held true but who knows what is happening in other field offices.

Too many people in the past have chosen hard to fill locations to get hired and then bail within months of getting out of training because they don't want to be there often never having intended to be there in the first place (meaning they never sold their old place, moved their family etc). Sometimes they leave and take their CITP cert somewhere else. Sometimes they force a move to a POD that doesn't have the same need as the one they were originally hired for. CI grew tired of having to decide whether to allow someone to move where they aren't needed or risk having them quit or transfer to another agency. So CI stopped doing announcements where they selected the location and started giving applicants a list to choose from with the understanding that if you aren't willing to work in a particular location you won't list it on your application.
thanks 3 users thanked Hmmmm for this useful post.
dubyac on 8/9/2021(UTC), Mountain_AC on 8/9/2021(UTC), LEOSA17 on 8/9/2021(UTC)
LEOSA17  
#52 Posted : Monday, August 9, 2021 7:59:38 PM(UTC)
LEOSA17

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hmmmm Go to Quoted Post
Location is not nothing. As I have previously written there are locations that will have openings that go unfilled. That means if you are good enough to get an offer and applied to one of those, you would have received an offer. Compare that to a location that has few openings but many many more qualified applicants. Well then you have to be one of the few chosen for a limited number of offers. So if all you choose are locations that don't need that many people but are popular among applicants you will be competing with others for an offer. If you choose a location where they aren't going to fill all their openings then you are competing with yourself. In that case you are either hireable or not. So in that sense location does matter a great deal.

As far as your list of five locations goes, we have been told repeatedly that applicants will only be considered for locations they have selected. Not sure if that is holding true but there is good reason for it. I know within my field office it has held true but who knows what is happening in other field offices.

Too many people in the past have chosen hard to fill locations to get hired and then bail within months of getting out of training because they don't want to be there often never having intended to be there in the first place (meaning they never sold their old place, moved their family etc). Sometimes they leave and take their CITP cert somewhere else. Sometimes they force a move to a POD that doesn't have the same need as the one they were originally hired for. CI grew tired of having to decide whether to allow someone to move where they aren't needed or risk having them quit or transfer to another agency. So CI stopped doing announcements where they selected the location and started giving applicants a list to choose from with the understanding that if you aren't willing to work in a particular location you won't list it on your application.

Makes sense. That was one of the things I was concerned with, so I selected some very busy locations, but also one relatively unknown location, hoping that very little people would out in for it. To be completely honest, I don’t care where I end up as long as I get the position.
MilMama  
#53 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2021 1:22:19 PM(UTC)
MilMama

United States

Are there any study materials for the KaSE?
Galexy  
#54 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 12:16:37 PM(UTC)
Galexy

United States

I took the initial assessment and received a passing email on 8/9, and am now in application review. Anyone else at the same step? How long do you think it would take?
HockeySticks  
#55 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 12:48:45 PM(UTC)
HockeySticks

Originally Posted by: Galexy Go to Quoted Post
I took the initial assessment and received a passing email on 8/9, and am now in application review. Anyone else at the same step? How long do you think it would take?

I have the same timeline as you thus far. I haven’t received anything yet, but I believe we should receive an email in the next week or so that states we meet the basic qualifications. Looking at timelines from the prior announcement, I’m guessing interviews will happen November/December timeframe. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Woody87  
#56 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2021 1:58:27 PM(UTC)
Woody87

United States

Has anyone heard anything since 8/9?
HockeySticks  
#57 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2021 3:23:42 PM(UTC)
HockeySticks

Originally Posted by: Woody87 Go to Quoted Post

Nope, same as you. Last I heard was 8/9.
Asommers  
#58 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2021 4:02:27 PM(UTC)
Asommers

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: HockeySticks Go to Quoted Post

Nope, same as you. Last I heard was 8/9.

Same.
Silver53  
#59 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2021 5:34:08 PM(UTC)
Silver53

United States

I am on the same boat as well.

Received the same email stating my application was suitable for further review.
wildct88  
#60 Posted : Wednesday, September 15, 2021 8:28:09 PM(UTC)
wildct88

United States

I applied to the amended announcement, the last I heard was from the Phase 2 assessment results on 8/28. Maybe they are getting all the applicants back on the same timeline?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed