Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

9 Pages«<45678>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LEOSA17  
#101 Posted : Saturday, October 16, 2021 4:25:10 PM(UTC)
LEOSA17

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Did everyone else get their KASE invitation on the 6th of this month? I have my test coming up Monday, studying up for it now. From what I've heard, its quite intense
WinterPatriot  
#102 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2021 9:44:58 AM(UTC)
WinterPatriot

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Received mine at the same time. I was hoping the schedule it further out. I ended up taking it yesterday.
HockeySticks  
#103 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2021 4:21:23 PM(UTC)
HockeySticks

Anyone know the anticipated start date for the July opening?
dubyac  
#104 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2021 4:27:06 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Was thanked: 79 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Originally Posted by: HockeySticks Go to Quoted Post
Anyone know the anticipated start date for the July opening?

Probably late spring/early summer ‘22. My KaSE was in March or April, interview in June, conditional offer in August, start date in November. It was 12 months from my application date to start date.

I know the announcements after mine were 2-3 months faster.
LEOSA17  
#105 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2021 7:29:59 PM(UTC)
LEOSA17

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Just took my KaSE today, now its the long dreaded wait until I find out if I'm category A or B...
stepup  
#106 Posted : Tuesday, October 19, 2021 4:10:10 PM(UTC)
stepup

United States

Can any agents speak to whether or not getting a CFE cert is worth it? Working through my accounting credits, and have a couple years specialized experience, so I am gearing up to put a good application package in for the next announcement. Getting my CFE is on the table, but if it's not really worth it, then I will put it on hold.
dubyac  
#107 Posted : Wednesday, October 20, 2021 7:47:13 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Originally Posted by: stepup Go to Quoted Post
Can any agents speak to whether or not getting a CFE cert is worth it? Working through my accounting credits, and have a couple years specialized experience, so I am gearing up to put a good application package in for the next announcement. Getting my CFE is on the table, but if it's not really worth it, then I will put it on hold.

If I was in your position, I’d focus on the accounting credits and making sure your resume captures your experience.

One of the big points made during the virtual career fair was applicants disqualify themselves because they didn’t read the requirements for specialized experience closely. Don’t worry about resume length.

I took the CFE years ago. It was easy enough to pass, but practically it hasn’t been of any use. I’d rather have the money back.
cmefly  
#108 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2021 6:45:56 PM(UTC)
cmefly

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dubyac Go to Quoted Post

If I was in your position, I’d focus on the accounting credits and making sure your resume captures your experience.

One of the big points made during the virtual career fair was applicants disqualify themselves because they didn’t read the requirements for specialized experience closely. Don’t worry about resume length.

I took the CFE years ago. It was easy enough to pass, but practically it hasn’t been of any use. I’d rather have the money back.

Yeah same I took my CFE a few years ago. It wouldn't be too helpful with the IRS nor in tax private sector.

It helps in banking, insurance etc.. or any large corporation working in fraud or audit or SOX controls. You're probably going to get a 6 figure package (not a 6 figure base/ median salary probably 75K) if you're decent at your job. https://www.acfe.com/upl...ents/2013-comp-guide.pdf

CFE is probably more helpful with OIG or FBI work from what I hear.

I can say someone like dubyac if he/she is a ci with the irs and wanted to transition to the private sector it would provide a large network like any letter designation and probably would get a 6 figure base.

Edited by user Thursday, October 21, 2021 6:46:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ScottieDutch  
#109 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2021 11:49:21 AM(UTC)
ScottieDutch

United States

When I spoke with a retired CI, they said that a CFE, CPA, or Masters could get you a some extra creds to your name above other applicants. They said that it shows that you are willing to go the extra step than just the baseline qualifications. Would it hurt? No. Would it help? Maybe, as long as you meet the quals first. Personally, I'm a CFE, mainly out of passion, personal pursuits, and previous roles I've worked.
WinterPatriot  
#110 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2021 12:08:05 PM(UTC)
WinterPatriot

United States

I did recently obtain my CFE. I was referred for the most recent vacancy announcement but not for the 2020 announcement. I don’t know if that made the difference. My experience with white collar didn’t change much between 2020 and 2021, but I did reword my resume.

I’m told that OIGs put more emphasis on the CFE than other 1811 organizations. Anecdotally, that appears to be true for me. No interviews prior to getting my CFE but I have had interviews and an offer since then.
HockeySticks  
#111 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2021 12:45:02 PM(UTC)
HockeySticks

Like the other poster said, it can’t hurt to get certifications. I have my CPA and plan to get the CFE if I get the job because I like to learn.
dubyac  
#112 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2021 5:49:53 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Like the other poster said, it can’t hurt to get certifications. I have my CPA and plan to get the CFE if I get the job because I like to learn.

I had the CFE, I have my CPA and masters in accounting. Everything considered, I don’t think the money I spent on the CFE was worth it (and I had a student discount at the time).

I don’t think I learned anything from the CFE you couldn’t get out of Wikipedia. Between the academy, all the annual trainings, all the additional trainings offered locally and at FLETC, you’ll be able to learn more that’s directly applicable to the job.

If you want to do it to get the certification, and have the time and means, go for it. If you don’t, and have to choose between the CFE or accounting credits or experience, I say drop the CFE.
cmefly  
#113 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2021 5:33:35 AM(UTC)
cmefly

United States

Originally Posted by: dubyac Go to Quoted Post

I had the CFE, I have my CPA and masters in accounting. Everything considered, I don’t think the money I spent on the CFE was worth it (and I had a student discount at the time).

I don’t think I learned anything from the CFE you couldn’t get out of Wikipedia. Between the academy, all the annual trainings, all the additional trainings offered locally and at FLETC, you’ll be able to learn more that’s directly applicable to the job.

If you want to do it to get the certification, and have the time and means, go for it. If you don’t, and have to choose between the CFE or accounting credits or experience, I say drop the CFE.

great advice from dubyac. If you don't even have your accounting credits you're not going to be considered.

getting your cpa or ea is more helpful with the IRS than the CFE.

Congrats Winterpatriot on getting an offer with the oig!
WinterPatriot  
#114 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2021 5:49:29 AM(UTC)
WinterPatriot

United States

If I could go back in time do it over again, I would have obtained an accounting certificate instead. I needed a quick boost for my resume and the CFE was only a couple months of studying. I learned more useful investigation-related information studying for the KASE (accounting textbooks). A third of the CFE exam seems to cover material you would learn in financial and managerial accounting courses.

Thanks. I’ll likely take the OIG offer even though I’d probably enjoy working at IRS CI more.
AccountingGrad  
#115 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2021 6:31:32 AM(UTC)
AccountingGrad

United States

Any idea on whether the next announcement will be a 12-month roster? If not that will suck since I am a RA right now and will have to take a pay dip if I want to apply in 2023 due to me not passing the Job Assessment this year and having to wait a year before being able to take it again.
WinterPatriot  
#116 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2021 6:33:16 AM(UTC)
WinterPatriot

United States

At the virtual job fair, HR said it was a small possibility for November, but that most likely it would be early next year.
AccountingGrad  
#117 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2021 6:39:35 AM(UTC)
AccountingGrad

United States

This November or next? Since I took the job sim in july and have to wait a year to take it again apparently
WinterPatriot  
#118 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2021 6:49:08 AM(UTC)
WinterPatriot

United States

This November. He stated that they were attempting to post the new job announcement then but that it was more likely to be early next calendar year (2022).
AccountingGrad  
#119 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2021 7:04:01 AM(UTC)
AccountingGrad

United States

Dang alright, here's hoping they continue to have these regular postings throughout 2022 or let me in with whatever Job Sim score I got haha, still surprised me that I passed the Job Sim for RA/TCO but not for CI
cmefly  
#120 Posted : Tuesday, October 26, 2021 7:29:17 AM(UTC)
cmefly

United States

Originally Posted by: AccountingGrad Go to Quoted Post
Dang alright, here's hoping they continue to have these regular postings throughout 2022 or let me in with whatever Job Sim score I got haha, still surprised me that I passed the Job Sim for RA/TCO but not for CI

I'm not sure what you mean that you passed RA/TCO and bc you passed that you think you would pass for the CI Job Sim.

I've taken both and rated superior on both. I will say that the answers some may be similar, but there are answers where you would answer quite differently given each role.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed