Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

18 Pages«<678910>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Want2b_1811  
#141 Posted : Wednesday, November 10, 2021 6:30:18 PM(UTC)
Want2b_1811

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Received email notification that I got referred for the GL-7 and GL-9. Crossing my fingers that I get an interview as a Cat C.
HockeySticks  
#142 Posted : Saturday, November 13, 2021 4:16:53 PM(UTC)
HockeySticks

Is there any merit to physical fitness standards being changed (pre hire fitness exam or graded at FLETC)? I heard it’s not graded, but will it be in the future? If so, does anyone have any idea what the tests will be and the scoring? Want to be sure I would be able to pass everything.
dubyac  
#143 Posted : Monday, November 15, 2021 8:24:31 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Was thanked: 108 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Originally Posted by: HockeySticks Go to Quoted Post
Is there any merit to physical fitness standards being changed (pre hire fitness exam or graded at FLETC)? I heard it’s not graded, but will it be in the future? If so, does anyone have any idea what the tests will be and the scoring? Want to be sure I would be able to pass everything.

I'm helping with the virtual job info events about the Special Agent job as a collateral.

There's been no mention of physical fitness standards being changed. There's been no mention of it being graded now, there's been no mention of it being graded in the future.

Does that mean someone out there knows different? Probably-I wouldn't be surprised-but until there's an official policy change, it's just office gossip.

There is no pre-hire fitness test.

There is no cut-off for the Physical Efficiency Battery (PEB) fitness test you take during CITP. You will perform the PEB at least twice, at the start and end of CITP.

You will take a fitness test during SAIT. It is push-ups, sit-ups, 1.5 mile run, sit-and-reach. You will perform this annually thereafter.

The U.S. Marshals Service fitness exam has the same components. They certainly enjoy smoking their trainees. If you can score well there you'll be in great shape. https://www.usmarshals.g...s/fitness-standards.html

Edited by user Monday, November 15, 2021 8:25:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked dubyac for this useful post.
GH on 11/16/2021(UTC)
TDnike2189  
#144 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2021 12:10:55 PM(UTC)
TDnike2189

Do your classes have to be graduate courses. I am starting a revenue officer position and have aspirations of applying to the special agent role. My bachelor's and masters both have auxillary accounting coursework but I am unsure if it will be enough.
dubyac  
#145 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2021 12:29:12 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Originally Posted by: TDnike2189 Go to Quoted Post
Do your classes have to be graduate courses. I am starting a revenue officer position and have aspirations of applying to the special agent role. My bachelor's and masters both have auxillary accounting coursework but I am unsure if it will be enough.

No, not necessarily. The requirement is 15 hours accounting, 9 in business law, economics, finance, tax law or money and banking. It does not specify undergraduate or graduate.

However that is separate from the other education requirement for each pay grade. GS-7 is 1 year of graduate education or Superior Academic Achievement provision. GS-9 is 2 year graduate education or a master's degree.

TDnike2189  
#146 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2021 1:13:11 PM(UTC)
TDnike2189

Originally Posted by: dubyac Go to Quoted Post

No, not necessarily. The requirement is 15 hours accounting, 9 in business law, economics, finance, tax law or money and banking. It does not specify undergraduate or graduate.

However that is separate from the other education requirement for each pay grade. GS-7 is 1 year of graduate education or Superior Academic Achievement provision. GS-9 is 2 year graduate education or a master's degree.

Will revenue officer experience help you with this?
dubyac  
#147 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2021 2:39:54 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Originally Posted by: dubyac Go to Quoted Post

Will revenue officer experience help you with this?

I'm not familiar enough with the duties of a revenue officer to answer. I'm an external hire. It's certainly possible.

A recurring issue with qualifying via experience is that applicants do not explain in sufficient detail how their previous positions relate to the experience qualifications detailed in the announcement. HR cannot infer anything from your resume.
WinterPatriot  
#148 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2021 3:24:15 PM(UTC)
WinterPatriot

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I was invited to a zoom interview. I’m Category C. Don’t be discouraged if you didn’t score Cat A or B apparently.
Inception  
#149 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2021 7:21:55 AM(UTC)
Inception

Switzerland

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WinterPatriot Go to Quoted Post
I was invited to a zoom interview. I’m Category C. Don’t be discouraged if you didn’t score Cat A or B apparently.

It looks like most people who passed the test will be interviewing Monday and Tuesday before Thanksgiving.

WinterPatriot  
#150 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2021 7:59:56 AM(UTC)
WinterPatriot

United States

Originally Posted by: Inception Go to Quoted Post

It looks like most people who passed the test will be interviewing Monday and Tuesday before Thanksgiving.

That's great news. I thought I was done for as a Cat C. I didn't even know that Cat C was a category.

I selected five locations when applying, but I see that it's a particular field office that's interviewing me. It's actually my top choice now although I listed it as #3 previously. Does that mean I'd be hired into that location, if given an offer?

From time of interview, do you know how long the hiring process typically takes? IRS CI is my top 1811 choice, but I'm nearing the end of the hiring process for an OIG. I don't want to burn any bridges long-term with IRS in the event that I accept a final offer elsewhere.
HockeySticks  
#151 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2021 11:45:30 AM(UTC)
HockeySticks

CI released their annual report today for anyone interested. Looks like the amount of special agents stayed flat year over year.
forensicacc412  
#152 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2021 4:44:18 PM(UTC)
forensicacc412

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)

That's great news. I thought I was done for as a Cat C. I didn't even know that Cat C was a category.

I selected five locations when applying, but I see that it's a particular field office that's interviewing me. It's actually my top choice now although I listed it as #3 previously. Does that mean I'd be hired into that location, if given an offer?

From time of interview, do you know how long the hiring process typically takes? IRS CI is my top 1811 choice, but I'm nearing the end of the hiring process for an OIG. I don't want to burn any bridges long-term with IRS in the event that I accept a final offer elsewhere.

My understanding was that you are being interviewed for the office that is offering you the interview.

It took me about 1 week from interview to TO. About 2-3 months from interview to EOD.
dubyac  
#153 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2021 5:20:54 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Like forensicacc412 said, the field office interviewing you is for that field office's location.

Interview to Tentative Offer was 2-3 weeks for me. It took about 6 weeks after for me to EOD, but that was because UPS lost my medical paperwork.
HockeySticks  
#154 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2021 9:30:02 AM(UTC)
HockeySticks

How does the medical exam work in regards to follow ups? Are there any conditions that will automatic disqualify you (diabetes, high blood pressure, something low/high on the blood test, etc.)?
dubyac  
#155 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2021 9:42:09 AM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Originally Posted by: HockeySticks Go to Quoted Post
How does the medical exam work in regards to follow ups? Are there any conditions that will automatic disqualify you (diabetes, high blood pressure, something low/high on the blood test, etc.)?

Once you complete the medical paperwork and exam you’ll be contacted if anything needs a follow up.

WinterPatriot  
#156 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2021 2:22:42 PM(UTC)
WinterPatriot

United States

I did my interview yesterday, it went very well I think. The panel didn’t have any hiring timeline estimates. Sounds like the medical and background times vary depending on the applicant.

Do the medical and background processes run simultaneously, or do you need to clear background before scheduling a medical?

I’m trying to figure out my best case scenario for a timeline. I’m in one other 1811 process (OIG I really like) and think I’ll have a final offer there in three to five weeks. It might be a situation where I need to accept the first offer I receive though since I’m not a current 1811.

I would prefer the location where I interviewed for IRS CI over my other options. Based on the other timelines mentioned in this thread, doesn’t sound like I could go from possible tentative offer to final offer in less than an about six to eight weeks?

Edited by user Saturday, November 20, 2021 2:24:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

dubyac  
#157 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2021 2:36:55 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

I did my interview yesterday, it went very well I think. The panel didn’t have any hiring timeline estimates. Sounds like the medical and background times vary depending on the applicant.

Do the medical and background processes run simultaneously, or do you need to clear background before scheduling a medical?

I’m trying to figure out my best case scenario for a timeline. I’m in one other 1811 process (OIG I really like) and think I’ll have a final offer there in three to five weeks. It might be a situation where I need to accept the first offer I receive though since I’m not a current 1811.

I would prefer the location where I interviewed for IRS CI over my other options. Based on the other timelines mentioned in this thread, doesn’t sound like I could go from possible tentative offer to final offer in less than an about six to eight weeks?

The background will be ongoing, mine didn’t complete until after I was done at FLETC.

Tentative to final offer was about two months for me, took longer because UPS lost my medical paperwork the first time.
Woody87  
#158 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2021 7:55:31 PM(UTC)
Woody87

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
What type of clearance is required? I’ve heard public trust from current agents but the posting said top secret.
dubyac  
#159 Posted : Saturday, November 20, 2021 8:04:03 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Originally Posted by: Woody87 Go to Quoted Post
What type of clearance is required? I’ve heard public trust from current agents but the posting said top secret.

I noted that prior announcements like mine listed Public Trust, the most recent listed Top Secret.

If you receive a tentative offer you'll be linked to the EQIP process. If you're filling out an SF-85P, it's public trust. If it's SF-86, it's TS.

Usually (and I'm saying this based on my experience, and not knowing if the policy/procedures have changed with these new announcements) you'll start the TS process if you have a need to, like joining a task force like JTTF.
Hmmmm  
#160 Posted : Tuesday, November 23, 2021 10:23:23 AM(UTC)
Hmmmm

United States

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 20 post(s)
For future information sessions and virtual job fairs. Next CI Special Agent info session is 12/21/2021 at 1:00 PM Eastern Time.

https://www.jobs.irs.gov/find-job/irs-events
Rss Feed  Atom Feed