Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

18 Pages«<7891011>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dubyac  
#161 Posted : Monday, November 29, 2021 1:19:52 PM(UTC)
dubyac

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 108 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AC387 Go to Quoted Post
I applied for the amended announcement and was referred as a category A/B candidate. Does anyone know if the interview is like the FBI one? Or do they ask accounting specific questions?

I've been through the USSS, DSS, FBI, and IRS interview processes. They're all largely the same experience: panel interview, structured questions. The interview is more about your suitability for the job, not any specific skill set.
B0z21  
#162 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2021 9:32:09 AM(UTC)
B0z21

I was Cat C and interviewed last week. None of the interviewers were from any of the PODs I applied for (west coast). Is there even any chance for me to get the job?
dubyac  
#163 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2021 9:42:25 AM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Originally Posted by: hopefulgrad2020 Go to Quoted Post
I was Cat C and interviewed last week. None of the interviewers were from any of the PODs I applied for (west coast). Is there even any chance for me to get the job?

Could you explain a bit more on that none of your interviewers were from any of your PODs you picked?

If you applied to Fort Worth POD, for example, you would be interviewed by the Dallas Field Office, so its possible your some of your interviewers could be from Oklahoma or Arkansas, or even other Dallas PODs like Dallas, Lubbock, etc.

Or do you mean you were interviewed by field offices you didn’t list for your choices?

Either way this is the first announcement where I’ve heard of Cat C at all. That you got interviewed says a lot. Question is if you’re willing to move.
B0z21  
#164 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2021 9:59:24 AM(UTC)
B0z21

I have no problem with moving. All locations I chose were west coast. All three interviews were from near DC.
WinterPatriot  
#165 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2021 10:00:32 AM(UTC)
WinterPatriot

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Once someone is at the interview phase, do the KASE score categories still affect competitiveness?

Do you know if the interview is pass/fail, or is it used to rank otherwise eligible applicants?

B0z21  
#166 Posted : Monday, December 6, 2021 10:37:52 AM(UTC)
B0z21

I know it’s the “hurry up and wait” game, but has anyone heard of any offers being handed out for this announcement? I have a big deadline coming up for a possible new position at my current job and want to weigh out current and (possible) future options.
GorillaGuac  
#167 Posted : Monday, December 6, 2021 11:10:20 AM(UTC)
GorillaGuac

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Long time lurker first time poster. In the same boat as you. This timeline has been moving considerably faster than historical postings so I figured we might’ve heard something by now. Forum research seems to indicate that testing was done in at least two batches (could be more) and so I’m wondering if locations are waiting to interview all potential candidates and then make their decisions. Meaning, even if we were in first batch to interview, we’d still have to wait until all batches complete. Just my theory. Fingers crossed we get an answer before the end of the month.
Hmmmm  
#168 Posted : Monday, December 6, 2021 11:00:31 PM(UTC)
Hmmmm

United States

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 20 post(s)
I know of one recent interviewee who says a tentative offer was extended. Interviewed on 11/23.
WinterPatriot  
#169 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2021 4:41:33 AM(UTC)
WinterPatriot

United States

Good info, thanks. Do you know when the offer was made? That’s the first one I’ve heard of so far. I wonder if Cat A offers have to be made before Cat B/C are considered.
trgghb  
#170 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2021 11:41:08 AM(UTC)
trgghb

United States

What’s the promotion potential for Supervisory SA? How long would it take to get that role?
dubyac  
#171 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2021 1:06:25 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Originally Posted by: trgghb Go to Quoted Post
What’s the promotion potential for Supervisory SA? How long would it take to get that role?

IRS as a whole has a leadership development program. You'd apply to that, interview, complete the necessary work (9 months, on top of your normal work).

Depending on needs, you might apply to an acting SSA role for 30 days-1 year.

After all that, you'd apply and interview for an SSA announcement (which is usually multiple vacancies in multiple PODS).

Typically you'd work to get your 13 first, then you can work on getting into management.
trgghb  
#172 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2021 1:10:45 PM(UTC)
trgghb

United States

Originally Posted by: dubyac Go to Quoted Post

IRS as a whole has a leadership development program. You'd apply to that, interview, complete the necessary work (9 months, on top of your normal work).

After all that, you'd apply and interview for an SSA announcement (which is usually multiple vacancies in multiple PODS).

Typically you'd work to get your 13 first, then you can work on getting into management.

Thanks. I'm getting way ahead of myself, but it's helpful to understand long term trajectory and earnings when thinking about this decision. Are SSAs at a higher grade?

dubyac  
#173 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2021 1:11:52 PM(UTC)
dubyac

United States

Originally Posted by: dubyac Go to Quoted Post

Thanks. I'm getting way ahead of myself, but it's helpful to understand long term trajectory and earnings when thinking about this decision. Are SSAs at a higher grade?

SSAs are on a pay band, and start at IR04, which is equivalent to GS-14.
thanks 1 user thanked dubyac for this useful post.
trgghb on 12/7/2021(UTC)
WinterPatriot  
#174 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2021 4:09:04 PM(UTC)
WinterPatriot

United States

Tentative offer received.
Catspajamas1811  
#175 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2021 6:52:16 PM(UTC)
Catspajamas1811

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WinterPatriot Go to Quoted Post
Tentative offer received.

Congratulations - mind posting your timeline? I just applied for the new posting.
sambajuice  
#176 Posted : Wednesday, December 8, 2021 7:54:15 AM(UTC)
sambajuice

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Five months from application to TO for me. This seems to be the fastest hiring I've seen based on past hiring threads.
thanks 1 user thanked sambajuice for this useful post.
Catspajamas1811 on 12/8/2021(UTC)
SeekingNewOpps  
#177 Posted : Wednesday, December 8, 2021 8:14:39 AM(UTC)
SeekingNewOpps

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi all, new poster here. Been following the thread for a few months now. Congrats to everyone who has received TOs so far! I applied in the Aug 6 batch and have my interview tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Question for those who have received TOs - if you are current fed employees, did they match your current salary with higher steps or start you at GS-7/9 step 1?
forensicacc412  
#178 Posted : Wednesday, December 8, 2021 8:43:50 AM(UTC)
forensicacc412

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SeekingNewOpps Go to Quoted Post
Hi all, new poster here. Been following the thread for a few months now. Congrats to everyone who has received TOs so far! I applied in the Aug 6 batch and have my interview tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Question for those who have received TOs - if you are current fed employees, did they match your current salary with higher steps or start you at GS-7/9 step 1?

Good luck on your interview!

Current fed employees are typically matched within the grade they selected for, up to the highest step that is comparable to your current level as a fed. I do not know if this is before or after LEAP considerations though. You may have to request to have HR adjust if they do not automatically make the adjustment.
Spaceman_Spiff  
#179 Posted : Wednesday, December 8, 2021 10:26:48 AM(UTC)
Spaceman_Spiff

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SeekingNewOpps Go to Quoted Post

I spoke with a prior SA that was a GS-13 from the IRS. He received a pay match with LEAP in addition to it.
Woody87  
#180 Posted : Wednesday, December 8, 2021 1:28:04 PM(UTC)
Woody87

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Received my official TO yesterday. Applied for the initial opening back in July.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed