Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Retirement Planning

Whether you are close to federal employee retirement or just starting out in your career, this is the place to share ideas with your federal colleagues on creating a secure financial foundation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NomadicFed  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2021 6:20:21 AM(UTC)
NomadicFed

Groups: Registered
United States

I have been a federal employee since 2009. Shame on me for not checking my E&L statements more thoroughly but I recently used a withholdings calculator to figure out how a change to my TSP contributions will affect my Net pay. Upon going through my withholdings I noticed that I am paying in 4.4% of my salary to FERS. I was under the impression that anyone hired prior to 2013 should only be contributing .8% for FERS? Has this changed recently? Looking on commerce.gov it seems like I should only be paying the .8%. For disclosure, I have changed agencies once since entering federal service but did not have a break in service at all. I have had a few promotions so I'm wondering if my FERS contributions were incorrectly processed somewhere along the line between the change in agencies or the change in positions.

Edit: I have never had a break in service but I have been on extended military leave without pay twice as a reservist and I'm also 6C covered as Federal Law Enforcement so I'm not sure if that comes into play as far as calculating FERS contributions.

Thanks in advance for your help figuring this out.

Edited by user Wednesday, July 7, 2021 6:33:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ji_  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 7, 2021 1:04:14 PM(UTC)
ji_

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
If you worked in federal civilian service, and left before getting 5 years, and came back on or after January 1, 2O13, you might be properly coded as FERS-RAE (3.1%)(KR) or FERS-FRAE (4.4%)(KF) instead of FERS (O.8%)(K).

Have you been 6c employee the whole time? I understand their rates are 1.3% for FERS (M), 3.6% for FERS-RAE (MR), and 4.9% for FERS-FRAE (MF).

So, your 4.4% looks like FERS-FRAE (KF).

Maybe your service back in 2OO9 wasn't permanent full-time? Maybe it wasn't "creditable" service? Maybe your extended military leave was treated as a break in service? Maybe your return from military leave was treated as a new appointment? Maybe you're not 6c?

You should talk to your HR staff. Best wishes.

Edited by user Wednesday, July 7, 2021 1:10:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GWPDA  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2021 2:44:44 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 567 time(s) in 467 post(s)
Looks as tho you were incorrectly coded somewhere along the way. Since you were employed continuously from 2009, without break in service, you should be contributing at the .8% rate. I hope you have retained hard copies of all your paperwork, because you're going to need them to get your HR to correct the problem.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed