Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lane73  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 12, 2021 4:25:27 PM(UTC)
lane73

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello. I am currently a NAF 2210 Army Civilian who has been referred for a GS11/12 position, same locale. Current locale rate is 15.95% for 'rest of US' and my current salary equates me to a GS11 step ~6.

My question is how will I be calculated if accepting a GS11 position as opposed to GS12. The GS11 has a Special Rate table adjustment of 18% where the Special Rate does not apply to GS12 or above.

I am under the impression that I would be equated to a GS11 next step higher +1 step. IS that true? Also, how would the Special Rate get applied? After the base pay is determined?

For some odd reason I feel like a move to GS11 would be financially smarter than accepting a GS12 which would only equate to ~2k annual increase. Clarity is appreciated, 2210 Special Rate table link below.

https://apps.opm.gov/Spe...1/Table999B01012021.aspx
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 13, 2021 3:02:05 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1165 time(s) in 932 post(s)
Originally Posted by: lane73 Go to Quoted Post
Hello. I am currently a NAF 2210 Army Civilian who has been referred for a GS11/12 position, same locale. Current locale rate is 15.95% for 'rest of US' and my current salary equates me to a GS11 step ~6.

My question is how will I be calculated if accepting a GS11 position as opposed to GS12. The GS11 has a Special Rate table adjustment of 18% where the Special Rate does not apply to GS12 or above.

I am under the impression that I would be equated to a GS11 next step higher +1 step. IS that true? Also, how would the Special Rate get applied? After the base pay is determined?

For some odd reason I feel like a move to GS11 would be financially smarter than accepting a GS12 which would only equate to ~2k annual increase. Clarity is appreciated, 2210 Special Rate table link below.

https://apps.opm.gov/Spe...1/Table999B01012021.aspx
Define financially smarter? Apparently, to you, taking the lower graded job is smarter (the pay is not much difference once converted over. Never mind that once you hit 52 weeks as a GS12, you can apply for GS13 positions (which pay more) and get a step increase. If you take the GS11..you'll have to wait 2 years for a step increase (and then 3 years for the one after that!). As GS12, step 2 (which is where you would fall if this is considered a promotion), you'd get 2 step increases over the next 2 years, and then another one after 2 more. So...in the time to go up 2 steps as a GS11, you will have gone up 3 as a 12 and be halfway to a 4th step increase!

Just because the GS11 is on a slightly higher pay rate, doesn't mean it means you will be making more money (it is possible...depends on the rate!), but
longer term? If you are close to retirement, then maybe it makes sense (I'd still take the 12 because who knows what will happen in the next couple of years...a GS13 dream job would pop up and I'm the ideal candidate...or the dream location).

Think long term. Short term thinking leads to immediate gains, but can put you behind down the road. Is a couple of hundred $ today worth losing thousands in the long term?
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
lane73  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 13, 2021 4:55:08 AM(UTC)
lane73

United States

Thanks for the response. Not close to retirement, unfortunately...

The position is 11/12, non-compete jump to 12 after 52 weeks. Thought is if I go in as 11 step-x plus Special Rate with a higher salary then when time comes to jump to 12 I would jump to 12 step-x to retain salary. Yes I would wait for 104 weeks to be 13 eligible but could already be a couple of 12 steps in.
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 13, 2021 10:14:22 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1165 time(s) in 932 post(s)
Thanks for the response. Not close to retirement, unfortunately...

The position is 11/12, non-compete jump to 12 after 52 weeks. Thought is if I go in as 11 step-x plus Special Rate with a higher salary then when time comes to jump to 12 I would jump to 12 step-x to retain salary. Yes I would wait for 104 weeks to be 13 eligible but could already be a couple of 12 steps in.
Doesn't work that way. You get converted out first, then the usual pay setting (2 steps, then over to the 12...which would be the same as doing it right off the bat as it takes 104 weeks to get to step 7). Why waste a year which would otherwise put you closer to applying 13 positions? And, 52 weeks as a 12 step 2 puts you at step 3. Or...52 weeks at 11 step 6, then 12 step 2...then another 52 weeks to step 3.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
lane73  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 13, 2021 7:02:01 PM(UTC)
lane73

United States

Appreciate the feedback and thanks for helping me think this through. Not sure if it will be viewed as a 'promotion' going from NAF to GS although I definitely consider it to be a promotion.

From what I'm understanding based on your response, forget 11 if 12 is an option. Also, IF accepted as a 12 I should come in as step 2.? Is there any documentation to reference that?

From what I remember as former APF, step 1->2 is 6 months. Step 2->3 is 18 months. All follow on steps are 24 months.? If I come in as a Step 2 does the same conditions apply?
TheRealOrange  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 14, 2021 2:08:00 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 185 time(s) in 163 post(s)
From what I remember as former APF, step 1->2 is 6 months. Step 2->3 is 18 months. All follow on steps are 24 months.? If I come in as a Step 2 does the same conditions apply?

See this OPM web page for the "Required Waiting Periods" for GS Within-Grade Increases:

https://www.opm.gov/poli.../within-grade-increases/

There are no 6-month or 18-month intervals. From 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and 3 to 4, the waiting period is 52 weeks (1 year). From 4 to 5, 5 to 6, and 6 to 7, the waiting period is 104 weeks (2 years). And, from 7 to 8, 8 to 9, and 9 to 10 is 156 weeks (3 years).
Rss Feed  Atom Feed