Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement


The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Vet4Vets  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 14, 2021 6:44:57 PM(UTC)
Vet4Vets

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/10/2019(UTC)
Posts: 6

Thanks: 7 times
Hello all,

So I received my approval letter on July 12th. Got a call from the HRC today to discuss options regarding life insurance. Before we disconnected however, the HR person said that I will be “coded out” this month. Does anyone know what was meant by being “coded out”? Thanks in advance!

FMLA- Jul2020
DR submitted - Sep2020
LWOP OCT2020
CSA letter received- 20MAY2021
Approval Letter received - 12JUL2021
GSBS  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2021 9:48:10 AM(UTC)
GSBS

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/9/2011(UTC)
Posts: 2,858

Thanks: 345 times
Was thanked: 347 time(s) in 301 post(s)
Well, if you were approved on July 12 of 21, your agency's next step is to take you off the schedule and have you retire per the OPM approval. Did you not have life insurance before this? OPM will be your point of contact for all insurance changes going forward. I cancelled mine after about a year and within 2 days they had it processed, never seen them work as fast!
thanks 1 user thanked GSBS for this useful post.
Vet4Vets on 7/15/2021(UTC)
Vet4Vets  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2021 10:28:40 AM(UTC)
Vet4Vets

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/10/2019(UTC)
Posts: 6

Thanks: 7 times
Originally Posted by: GSBS Go to Quoted Post
Well, if you were approved on July 12 of 21, your agency's next step is to take you off the schedule and have you retire per the OPM approval. Did you not have life insurance before this? OPM will be your point of contact for all insurance changes going forward. I cancelled mine after about a year and within 2 days they had it processed, never seen them work as fast!

———-
Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it! Yes I did have life ins. The HR person discussed with me options regarding reduction and the cost involved for unreduced life insurance. She was actually quite helpful! I just can’t stop thinking about the last thing she said - that I will be “coded out” this month… I’ve tried to do some research on what that means but to no avail unfortunately.

Edited by user Thursday, July 15, 2021 10:29:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TheRealOrange  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2021 11:09:19 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/22/2011(UTC)
Posts: 943

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 157 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Vet4Vets Go to Quoted Post
Hello all,

So I received my approval letter on July 12th. Got a call from the HRC today to discuss options regarding life insurance. Before we disconnected however, the HR person said that I will be “coded out” this month. Does anyone know what was meant by being “coded out”? Thanks in advance!

FMLA- Jul2020
DR submitted - Sep2020
LWOP OCT2020
CSA letter received- 20MAY2021
Approval Letter received - 12JUL2021

I found a court decision that makes it seem like "coded out" is a term of art used by the Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs, not OPM. The term appears to be used when a schedule award is no longer payable, i.e., the person is no longer entitled to any further monetary benefits, so the schedule award is "coded out." That's just a best guess on my part.
thanks 1 user thanked TheRealOrange for this useful post.
Vet4Vets on 7/15/2021(UTC)
Vet4Vets  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2021 11:30:37 AM(UTC)
Vet4Vets

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/10/2019(UTC)
Posts: 6

Thanks: 7 times

I found a court decision that makes it seem like "coded out" is a term of art used by the Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs, not OPM. The term appears to be used when a schedule award is no longer payable, i.e., the person is no longer entitled to any further monetary benefits, so the schedule award is "coded out." That's just a best guess on my part.


Thank you for your help. I think you may be right regarding a “term of art” but I have no OWCP whatsoever. Maybe the term of art was used when something else was meant. Anyway, thank you again!
TheRealOrange  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2021 11:44:18 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/22/2011(UTC)
Posts: 943

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 179 time(s) in 157 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Vet4Vets Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for your help. I think you may be right regarding a “term of art” but I have no OWCP whatsoever. Maybe the term of art was used when something else was meant. Anyway, thank you again!

Everything I'm finding points to a payment, underpayment, overpayment, debt, etc. being stopped in an automated system. Maybe it has something to do with the past payments for the life insurance or health insurance during the LWOP period. I'm not seeing anything definitive about an OPM use of the term. Hopefully it's a non-issue.
thanks 1 user thanked TheRealOrange for this useful post.
Vet4Vets on 7/15/2021(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 0.246 seconds.