Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
new applicant  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 21, 2021 12:57:13 PM(UTC)
new applicant

Groups: Registered
United States

I'm a current GS employee who is considering a move to the FDIC. I see the FDIC has a separate pay scale with increases negotiated by the union. I wondered (1) does the FDIC apply the union increase to non-union exempt staff? (2) do FDIC employees also get pay bumps when the President raises the GS scale? So, if a negotiated raise is 2% but the President raises the GS scale 2.7%, would FDIC employees get 2%, 4.7% (both), or something else? Thanks.
TheRealOrange  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 22, 2021 7:20:09 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 184 time(s) in 162 post(s)
Originally Posted by: new applicant Go to Quoted Post
I'm a current GS employee who is considering a move to the FDIC. I see the FDIC has a separate pay scale with increases negotiated by the union. I wondered (1) does the FDIC apply the union increase to non-union exempt staff? (2) do FDIC employees also get pay bumps when the President raises the GS scale? So, if a negotiated raise is 2% but the President raises the GS scale 2.7%, would FDIC employees get 2%, 4.7% (both), or something else? Thanks.

I'll asnwer as best I can based on past knowledge. Also, the FDIC/NTEU Compensation Agreement is available online on NTEU websites:

http://nteuchapter242.or...ompensationagreement.pdf

1. Does the FDIC apply the union increase to non-union exempt staff?

It's not a requirement, but increases have been applied to non-bargaining unit employees for every increase that I am aware of.

2. Do FDIC employees also get pay bumps when the President raises the GS scale?

No. The pay increases are also not frozen when the GS increases are frozen.

3. So, if a negotiated raise is 2% but the President raises the GS scale 2.7%, would FDIC employees get 2%, 4.7% (both), or something else?

FDIC employees generally would get only the negotiated increase to base pay. That increase is set at 2.3% for 2021 and 2022. Employees are also eligible for performance-based bonuses, but they are lump sum, not additions to base pay. However, there is a tie of the FDIC's CG pay bands to the GS scale, so there might be some impact if a GS increase was substantially higher than the negotiated increase and it affected the base pay minimums and maximums. Here is the relevant provision in the agreement:

Adjustments to the Corporate Grade (CG) base pay minimums continue to be linked to the Federal General Schedule (GS) pay scale. For the duration of this Agreement, the EMPLOYER will maintain the CG base pay minimums at 110 percent of the comparable pay range minimums in the GS. The CG base pay maximums will be increased by 0.5 percent each year until they equal 136 percent of the comparable pay range maximums in the GS. Once the base pay maximums equal 136 percent of the comparable pay range maximums in the GS, they will be raised on an annual basis by the amount necessary to maintain 136 percent of the comparable pay range maximums in the GS.

That generally would not affect employees across the board, but it might affect those who are at either the minimum or maximum ends of the CG pay bands.
new applicant  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 22, 2021 8:54:16 AM(UTC)
new applicant

United States

Thank you! That's helpful. Based on my current grade, it looks like I'd make less money at the FDIC even if they match my current GS salary. The annual raises at FDIC are probably not more than the combination of Presidential GS raises and step increases.
TheRealOrange  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 22, 2021 10:48:02 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 184 time(s) in 162 post(s)
Originally Posted by: new applicant Go to Quoted Post
Thank you! That's helpful. Based on my current grade, it looks like I'd make less money at the FDIC even if they match my current GS salary. The annual raises at FDIC are probably not more than the combination of Presidential GS raises and step increases.

I have yet to see or hear of that happening, i.e., being paid less at the FDIC, either to start or over time, than under the GS pay scales. The FDIC had annual increases even when the GS employee salaries were frozen, and the top of the pay bands is substantially higher than the comparable GS grades. As far as I can tell, the FDIC negotiated increase has been higher than the GS increases in almost every year since 2010. The GS increases were:

2020 2.6%
2019 1.4%
2018 1.4%
2017 1%
2016 1%
2015 1%
2014 1%
2013 0%
2012 0%
2011 0%
2010 1.5%

The FDIC base pay increases over that period were never below 2% and exceeded the GS increases in every year except 2020. In 2020, the increases were the same at 2.6%. That would be at least 22% at the FDIC over that 11-year period compared to 10.9% for GS employees (not even factoring in compounding). You also have to consider the time between step increases at the higher steps. Every FDIC employee I know of who came from the GS system has made far more over the long run than they would have had they stayed in the GS system. I suppose it could happen, but I have never seen it. In addition to pay, the FDIC contributes more toward the FEHB (85%) than executive agencies, has an additional 401(k) retirement savings plan through T Rowe Price (with separate 5% matching) to go with the TSP, has dental and vision benefits available separate from FEDVIP, etc. The agency is also consistently among the Best Places to Work in Government for mid-size agencies. Just some things to consider.

Edited by user Thursday, July 22, 2021 10:49:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed