Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
armyj1986  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2021 7:26:35 AM(UTC)
armyj1986

Groups: Registered
United States

I applied for the Pathways Program Management and Program Analyst at OPM. I'm super excited that I was selected for an interview next week. Has anyone done an hour long interview through pathways. Im trying to prepare for it but not sure how besides looking up what the company does etc. Anyone here has successfully got into a pathway program and can give me some pointers?

Also, I just found out today that I got a selected for another position here in the VA (I currently work at the VA). Does it look bad if I accepted this position before I know whether or not I get the pathways one? Of course if I was selected for the pathways program, I'll be definitely accepting that one.

Background- I am a vet and I do have a Masters in Healthcare Informatics and Analytics plus have 2 yellow belts (not sure if that matters)

Thank you for all the help in advance.

djp  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2021 7:47:37 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 174 time(s) in 171 post(s)
Why have 2 yellow belts……

Masters in healthcare informatics from where?

Why go to OPM for a job?
armyj1986  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 30, 2021 2:32:05 AM(UTC)
armyj1986

United States

@djp Reason for two yellow belts is one was part of my masters program and the other was from the VA. The VA didn't recognize the one from the masters degree, so I had to do it again.

Why opm when I already have a federal job? Because I can't seem to breakout of the secretary/Administrative roles even with all the referred status. When you look for positions outside they want years of experience that is hard to get since nobody is willing to give me a chance to learn it and get the experience. So with this pathways program,It's really hard getting into Informatics as well because again with the years of experience, want you to be certified in a program that you can't get certified unless your company will sponsor but the company doesn't want to do that, they want someone who already has it. Lastly, they want you to be a RN already. Epic is a common one that alot of places have and you can't just get it, you have to have a job that is willing to sponsor you for it. By doing the pathways will get me on the right foot to start my career using my Analytics part of my degree.

Degree is from Florida International University.
GWPDA  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 30, 2021 5:29:45 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 575 time(s) in 473 post(s)
Are you a federal employee?
armyj1986  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 30, 2021 6:52:30 AM(UTC)
armyj1986

United States

@GWPDA yes veterans affairs. Before you say that I'm already a federal employee why do this. I'm doing it because it puts me on the career path I want to be in. Yes, I'm a federal employee but doesn't make it any easier to get into that field unless you have time in service and have the gs level required. Most program analyst positions here start off as a gs 11-14.
GWPDA  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2021 5:45:54 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 575 time(s) in 473 post(s)
Then all you're planning on doing is switching agencies? The Office of Personnel Management is just another Federal agency, like the Department of Army or the IRS. If you get the OPM Pathways position you're still a Federal employee, just in a different agency. When you say, "Im trying to prepare for it but not sure how besides looking up what the company does" I'm not sure what you need here. OPM is not a 'company'.
TheUnderverse15  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 8:44:17 PM(UTC)
TheUnderverse15

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: GWPDA Go to Quoted Post
Then all you're planning on doing is switching agencies? The Office of Personnel Management is just another Federal agency, like the Department of Army or the IRS. If you get the OPM Pathways position you're still a Federal employee, just in a different agency. When you say, "Im trying to prepare for it but not sure how besides looking up what the company does" I'm not sure what you need here. OPM is not a 'company'.

Well you know GWPDA, some people like to do a "look at me moment" around here when they cant find answer and it's something different. Judging from this fellas, he asked same question twice.

Most people with referral questions really just need to look on forum instead of asking same old questions, too.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed