Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fedff  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2021 5:45:35 AM(UTC)
Fedff

Groups: Registered

I recently transferred from a 40 hour work week GS-12 employee to a 72 hour work week firefighter position. When leave is transferred from a 40 hour work week position to a 72 hour it is adjusted. For example, at 40 hours I earned 7 hour of AL a pay period, at 72 I earn 11 hours; as a result, 145 hours of saved leaved transferred to my new position should be adjusted to 260 hours.

Does anyone know the specific policy that outlines this? Also, if my local HR is not familiar with this policy who would be my next person to speak with? I work for the Department of the Army and I have tried to contact OPM however seem to have a difficult time getting in touch with an actual person.

Thank you for the help
Navy Bubblehead  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2021 9:47:06 AM(UTC)
Navy Bubblehead

Was thanked: 120 time(s) in 98 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fedff Go to Quoted Post
I recently transferred from a 40 hour work week GS-12 employee to a 72 hour work week firefighter position. When leave is transferred from a 40 hour work week position to a 72 hour it is adjusted. For example, at 40 hours I earned 7 hour of AL a pay period, at 72 I earn 11 hours; as a result, 145 hours of saved leaved transferred to my new position should be adjusted to 260 hours.

Does anyone know the specific policy that outlines this? Also, if my local HR is not familiar with this policy who would be my next person to speak with? I work for the Department of the Army and I have tried to contact OPM however seem to have a difficult time getting in touch with an actual person.

Thank you for the help

Why would your leave balance be adjusted at all? Why would your leave accrual rate change? Leave accrual is set at 4, 6, or 8 hours, depending on time in service. It has nothing to do with your work schedule or any Special Pay table.
FS0201  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2021 10:42:10 AM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 313 time(s) in 274 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Navy Bubblehead Go to Quoted Post
Why would your leave balance be adjusted at all? Why would your leave accrual rate change? Leave accrual is set at 4, 6, or 8 hours, depending on time in service. It has nothing to do with your work schedule or any Special Pay table.

I won’t address OP’s question but there is a calculation for employees who work an uncommon schedule, such as firefighters

• (4 hours) times (average # of hours per biweekly pay period) divided by 80 = biweekly accrual rate.
    (6 hours) times (average # of hours per biweekly pay period) divided by 80 = biweekly accrual rate.**
    (8 hours) times (average # of hours per biweekly pay period) divided by 80 = biweekly accrual rate.

https://www.opm.gov/poli...act-sheets/annual-leave/

Edited by user Thursday, July 29, 2021 10:44:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
Navy Bubblehead  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2021 11:01:40 AM(UTC)
Navy Bubblehead

Fair enough. Learn something new every day. I still dont believe the balance carried over would be adjusted upward. OP earned that at the normal rate.
Fedff  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2021 10:14:34 PM(UTC)
Fedff

Thank you for the input so far. Just to clarify, I am not asking whether this is a policy, I already know it is. I am asking if anyone knows what the specific national directive is where this is documented.

Thank you again everyone for the input.
Navy Bubblehead  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 30, 2021 3:40:06 AM(UTC)
Navy Bubblehead

Originally Posted by: Fedff Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for the input so far. Just to clarify, I am not asking whether this is a policy, I already know it is. I am asking if anyone knows what the specific national directive is where this is documented.

Thank you again everyone for the input.

If you "know" its policy, you should be able to cite said policy. Instead you are here asking for citations.

Edited by user Friday, July 30, 2021 3:40:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fedff  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 31, 2021 8:28:57 AM(UTC)
Fedff

I have been through this process before when I switched from 72 hours to 40 hours. My leave was adjusted and the policy was reviewed with me as an explanation for the adjustment. Now that I am going from 40 back to 72 I am dealing with different HR and no longer have any contacts from the HR staff that did the original adjustment. It is a pretty unique situation and as such not too many people have dealt with it or are familiar with it.
Thank you again for the interest in my question and for trying to help.
GWPDA  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 1, 2021 5:31:01 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 584 time(s) in 479 post(s)
It's always a good thing when someone with direct experience of a unique HR situation posts about it. FedSoup keeps a pretty big database and someone else may have a similar question later on.
Fedff  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 16, 2021 11:14:44 AM(UTC)
Fedff

I just wanted to follow up on this in case anyone else finds themselves in my situation. The national guidance that explains how to transfer accrued leave between common and uncommon tours of duty is as follows:

§ 630.210 Uncommon tours of duty.
(a) An agency may require that an employee with an uncommon tour of duty accrue and use leave on the basis of that uncommon tour of duty. The leave accrual rates for such employees shall be directly proportional (based on the number of hours in the biweekly tour of duty and the accrual rate of the corresponding leave category) to the standard leave accrual rates for employees who accrue and use leave on the basis of an 80-hour biweekly tour of duty. One hour (or appropriate fraction thereof) of leave shall be charged for each hour (or appropriate fraction thereof) of absence from the uncommon tour of duty.

(b) When an employee is converted to a different tour of duty for leave purposes, his or her leave balances shall be converted to the proper number of hours based on the proportion of hours in the new tour of duty compared to the former tour of duty.

(c) An agency shall establish an uncommon tour of duty for each firefighter compensated under part 550, subpart M, of this chapter. The uncommon tour of duty shall correspond directly to the firefighter's regular tour of duty, as defined in § 550.1302 of this chapter, so that each firefighter accrues and uses leave on the basis of that tour.

(d) In applying § 550.805(g) of this chapter, and §§ 630.306(b), and 630.310(d), the referenced number of hours for full-time employees (416 hours and 208 hours) shall be proportionally adjusted based on the percentage amount by which the number of hours in the uncommon tour of duty exceeds the number of hours in a regular full-time tour of duty. For example, if the uncommon tour of duty consists of 120 hours in a biweekly pay period instead of the 80 hours for a regular full-time employee, the percentage adjustment would be 50 percent [(120/80) − 1]; accordingly, 416 hours would be converted to 624 hours and 208 hours would be converted to 312 hours.

[59 FR 66635, Dec. 28, 1994, as amended at 63 FR 64595, Nov. 23, 1998; 67 FR 15467, Apr. 2, 2002; 85 FR 48101, Aug. 10, 2020]
0018 Hopeful  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 20, 2021 12:40:46 PM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Many thanks, I have hired a few firemen before and I had several switch from fire fighters to fire inspectors and switch to a 80 hour 14 day work cycle.

It is a good resource if you have someone switching back.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed