Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Office of Personnel Management

OPM is responsible for several broad categories such as employee recruitment and retention and oversees the overall federal workforce including managing, job announcement postings at USAJOBS.gov and setting governmentwide policies on hiring procedures.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mike  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2021 6:35:13 AM(UTC)
Mike

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi, I just had a question. A co worker just got a new job in our directorate. He did not apply for the job. He just got a call from our boss and he was told to report to his new job the next day. This person is a GS 9-1712 and the new job is a GS9/11-0303.

I asked the person if they applied for this position, they seem to hesitate and it seemed as if they were lying and he said yes. I said how did you find out you got the job? he said his boss told him he got the job.

I have held t different GS positions and each and every job I got I applied for, had an interview and CPAC called and told me I got the job, and I started the job at the beginning of a pay period.

This person did not apply, was told he got the job by his boss and started the job on a Tuesday in the middle of the pay period.

Does this sound odd to anyone else? Is someone breaking the law by giving this person a promotion without posting the job in USAJobs?

Just curious.
DaVinci95  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2021 7:49:43 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 90 post(s)
If he’s still a GS-9, it’s not a promotion. Sounds like a directed reassignment.
Mike  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2021 7:53:44 AM(UTC)
Mike

Man
United States

So a direct reassignment is legal even if he ends up becoming a GS 11 because of it?

The position is a different CP. He is going from CP1712 to CP0303.

Seems unfair to people who apply for a GS 11 job. So this guy just gets "reassigned" but goes from GS 9 to GS 11?
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2021 8:05:44 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1160 time(s) in 927 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mike Go to Quoted Post
So a direct reassignment is legal even if he ends up becoming a GS 11 because of it?

The position is a different CP. He is going from CP1712 to CP0303.

Seems unfair to people who apply for a GS 11 job. So this guy just gets "reassigned" but goes from GS 9 to GS 11?
Could be lots of reasons. He may have applied (you may not believe him, but what evidence do you otherwise have?), he could have gotten it via one of many hiring authorities (if he is a vet, VRA comes to mind, Schedule A, recent Grad, etc...). Could also be due to a disability Reasonable Accommodation request or as part of a settlement agreement (either a grievance or EEO, for example). Not certain if it is a step up to go from Education and Training to Misc Admin Clerk/Assistant, but hope it works out for them.

While switching in the middle of a pay period is unusual, it does happen. As he isn't changing agencies or grade, no real issues there. I personally switched agencies middle of the pay period (or closer to 3/4 of a pay period) for a promotion (that made things weird for the 2 agencies to pay me the correct amounts for the pay period), as my new agency wanted me on ASAP in case a hiring freeze occurred when the new administration came on board.

And, you contradict yourself in your post...you said he didn't apply, yet he said yes when asked.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Mike  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2021 8:12:55 AM(UTC)
Mike

Man
United States

I have worked for this person for several years. They absolutely did not apply for this position because the position was never posted in USAJOBS and when I asked him if he applied, HE LIED and said he did apply.

He has worked in the same position for 15 years and has complained about being bored. He may have well had a management direct reassignment but according to OPM:

The agency's right to direct reassignment includes the right to reassign an employee from a special rate position to a non-special rate position at the same grade, or to a position with less promotion potential than the present position. (Reassignment to a position with more promotion potential than the present position requires competition under the agency's merit staffing plan.) The position to which the agency reassigns an employee may be located in the same or a different geographic area (e.g., reassignment from Houston to Washington, DC).

He is going from a GS 9 to a GS 9/11 (Reassignment to a position with more promotion potential than the present position requires competition under the agency)

There was no competition, he was handed a promotion because he is buddies with the boss and has worked the same job for 15 years.
frankgonzalez  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2021 8:34:40 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1160 time(s) in 927 post(s)
I have worked for this person for several years. They absolutely did not apply for this position because the position was never posted in USAJOBS and when I asked him if he applied, HE LIED and said he did apply.

He has worked in the same position for 15 years and has complained about being bored. He may have well had a management direct reassignment but according to OPM:

The agency's right to direct reassignment includes the right to reassign an employee from a special rate position to a non-special rate position at the same grade, or to a position with less promotion potential than the present position. (Reassignment to a position with more promotion potential than the present position requires competition under the agency's merit staffing plan.) The position to which the agency reassigns an employee may be located in the same or a different geographic area (e.g., reassignment from Houston to Washington, DC).

He is going from a GS 9 to a GS 9/11 (Reassignment to a position with more promotion potential than the present position requires competition under the agency)

There was no competition, he was handed a promotion because he is buddies with the boss and has worked the same job for 15 years.
If you believe this, why are you whining on an anonymous online forum, and not calling your agency IG or OSC? After all, if this is a violation of the Merit Principles and a violation of policy, and is nepotism (based on your claim), they would be interested to hear about this.
You asked a question...it was answered (are you aware if he is a vet, has a disability, etc?) yet you respond that it is all wrong, so why ask here? Looking for validation for your perceived issue?

If you believe a violation occurred, then report it. If you want to complain on online forums, this may not be the best one for that.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Mike  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2021 4:58:40 AM(UTC)
Mike

Man
United States

I guess I can't Whine on a forum AND call my agency IG or OSC?

I'm sure I can "Whine" on here and inform my agency of the violation Frank. I am multi-talented.

Do you hear that ringing Frank? Your village is calling.
RossD  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 13, 2021 12:12:02 PM(UTC)
RossD

Why not be happy for your co-worker?
Mike  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 13, 2021 12:20:48 PM(UTC)
Mike

Man
United States

Why would I be happy because someone got a promotion because they are buddies with the boss? The job that he got should have been posted on USA Jobs and he should have to compete for it like everyone else. I guess you do not understand what occurred.

This person had the same job for 14 years, tried and failed to get promoted or to get a different job and went to the boss which is his buddy and cried about working the same job for 15 years so they did a Management Designated Reassignment, from a GS9 to a GS9/11 without competition. Which is illegal.

They did this because his buddy the boss, is a GS 13 and his buddy the GS 13 told him he is going to retire in 3 years and wants him to take his job.

A GS 9 cannot apply for a GS13 position. So they hatch this scheme to get him to be an GS 11 for at least a year before the GS 13 retires so the GS 13 can hand him his job without any competition.

That's why I'm not happy for him.

Oh and the GS 13? he is incompetent and got the job from his buddy 4 years ago. He never even applied for the job.

None of what I wrote here is rumor or exaggeration it is fact,
Navy Bubblehead  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 17, 2021 3:36:02 AM(UTC)
Navy Bubblehead

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 96 post(s)

A GS 9 cannot apply for a GS13 position. So they hatch this scheme to get him to be an GS 11 for at least a year before the GS 13 retires so the GS 13 can hand him his job without any competition.

A GS11 cant apply for (nor is eligible for) a GS13 either, so that blows up that theory.

You folks that show up here yesterday and start calling out folks who have been here (and in fed service) for decades crack me up. Don't go away mad because you didn't get the answer you wanted, just go away.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed