Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Financial Discussion

It is always wise to have a secure financial foundation. Here is a place to ask questions, exchange ideas and share information on how to make the most of your money.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
navindaxon  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2021 6:32:24 AM(UTC)
navindaxon

Groups: Registered
United States

The Question: What is the typical performance bonus given to engineers working for the DoD on the ND pay scale (I am referring to both the merit based raises to base salary, as well as the typical one time cash bonuses available)? It would also be nice to know where salaries tend to end up within each pay band, since the range is quite large. But it seems unlikely most agencies would be giving $15-20k raises from performance level to performance level...

Background: I am currently comparing a position on a special pay scale versus one on a DEMO pay scale (ND). The special scale pay offers about $15k more than the base salary of the ND position, with the possibility of signing bonuses that can be substantial.

The ND scale, on the other hand, offers broad pay bands (corresponding to GS 5-9, 10-11, 12-13, 14+, etc) and automatic promotions, year-by-year, to the next performance level, until I cap out at ND-04. After that, it's competitive promotions. This position includes various guaranteed raises at 6 month intervals for the first couple years, as well as merit based raises and cash bonuses.

However, precise salary information is hard to find. Comments I found online, about the similar NT scale (for technicians), suggest that agencies prefer to give small merit based raises year to year, to minimize salary increases, and then use cash bonuses as a supplement. There is virtually no information about how cash bonuses are calculated, or how large a typical bonus might be.

Finally, the federal salary database published by the OMB doesn't include DoD employees, so I can't just look up potential coworkers by name and see what level they're at and how much they made in a given year, and then use that data to extrapolate the likely size of a bonus.

This is extremely frustrating, since it makes comparing the two positions difficult. I was wondering if anyone here knows what a typical bonus for a DoD engineer on the ND scale would look like, so I can intelligently compare the positions.

Edited by user Saturday, August 21, 2021 6:38:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2021 3:55:43 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1160 time(s) in 927 post(s)
Originally Posted by: navindaxon Go to Quoted Post
The Question: What is the typical performance bonus given to engineers working for the DoD on the ND pay scale (I am referring to both the merit based raises to base salary, as well as the typical one time cash bonuses available)? It would also be nice to know where salaries tend to end up within each pay band, since the range is quite large. But it seems unlikely most agencies would be giving $15-20k raises from performance level to performance level...

Background: I am currently comparing a position on a special pay scale versus one on a DEMO pay scale (ND). The special scale pay offers about $15k more than the base salary of the ND position, with the possibility of signing bonuses that can be substantial.

The ND scale, on the other hand, offers broad pay bands (corresponding to GS 5-9, 10-11, 12-13, 14+, etc) and automatic promotions, year-by-year, to the next performance level, until I cap out at ND-04. After that, it's competitive promotions. This position includes various guaranteed raises at 6 month intervals for the first couple years, as well as merit based raises and cash bonuses.

However, precise salary information is hard to find. Comments I found online, about the similar NT scale (for technicians), suggest that agencies prefer to give small merit based raises year to year, to minimize salary increases, and then use cash bonuses as a supplement. There is virtually no information about how cash bonuses are calculated, or how large a typical bonus might be.

Finally, the federal salary database published by the OMB doesn't include DoD employees, so I can't just look up potential coworkers by name and see what level they're at and how much they made in a given year, and then use that data to extrapolate the likely size of a bonus.

This is extremely frustrating, since it makes comparing the two positions difficult. I was wondering if anyone here knows what a typical bonus for a DoD engineer on the ND scale would look like, so I can intelligently compare the positions.
You may want to verify some things. Promotion in the Demo programs is the same as within the GS world...moving from 1 payband to the next. ND01> ND02> ND03> ND04. You can get pay raises more frequently based on your contribution rating to allow you to climb up the payband, however, typically the raises slow down once you get above mid payband.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rss Feed  Atom Feed